Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which Database are you supposed to use?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Which Database are you supposed to use? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 1:47:36 AM   
HercMighty

Harpoon 3 ANW Database 2.0 (18 Scenarios + 8 Tutorial)
Harpoon 3 ANW Database 1.4 (9 Scenarios + 8 Tutorial)
Harpoon 3 Standard Database (8 standalone + 119 Battleset scenarios + 8 tutorial)

Is the standard Database the one that should be used for single player only?

Post #: 1
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 3:01:07 AM   
HercMighty

So really we only have 18 scenarios available to us?
Post #: 2
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 7:54:53 AM   
ComDev

The HarpoonHQ will make lots of scenarios available once AGSI has sorted out the most serious 3.7 bugs such as the strike mission problems, weapon allocation problems, SBR shortcomings, etc.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 3
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 8:36:02 AM   
TonyE

Freek is slaving away at scens for PDB, and many PDB scens already run fine in 3.7.3, they just don't always give the same play experience as they did in 3.6.x or 3.7.0 (and don't yet take advantage of the DB/engine changes of 3.7.3).  The small multiplayer scens the PDB guys have been pumping out are quite fun, I didn't know I'd ever see they day I was plinking gunboats with my Spru/Burke task force but it happened and those two ships turned out to really beat the odds.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 4
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 9:08:16 AM   
ComDev

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Freek is slaving away at scens for PDB, and many PDB scens already run fine in 3.7.3, they just don't always give the same play experience as they did in 3.6.x or 3.7.0 (and don't yet take advantage of the DB/engine changes of 3.7.3).  The small multiplayer scens the PDB guys have been pumping out are quite fun, I didn't know I'd ever see they day I was plinking gunboats with my Spru/Burke task force but it happened and those two ships turned out to really beat the odds.

The 3.7 exe plays differently because of all the broken stuff in that exe. In spite of what AGSI claims, the AI in v3.7 can not fight nearly as effectively as in Harpoon3 v3.6. Major shortcomings such as the weapon allocation bugs, firing range issues and disfunctional mission logics come to mind.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 5
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 9:27:06 AM   
TonyE

LOL, good thing I was playing multiplayer, oh that was rich.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 6
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 9:53:41 AM   
danrhayes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

LOL, good thing I was playing multiplayer, oh that was rich.

Um I think maybe Rag was replying wrt to your first sentence not the second.

Daniel

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 4:25:22 PM   
SIRIUS10

quote:

ORIGINAL: VCDH

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty
So really we only have 18 scenarios available to us?

I think that only a few people here appreicate the considerable amount of work that it going into making scenarios compliant for v3.7. I have been spending most of the last week going over a variety of issues that have been changed from v3.6. This is in addition to the DB compliance thread that we have advised DB authors to complete.

I can only imagine what a nightmare that will be for some of the larger DBs.

Herc if you are that concerned about scenarios then why don't you make one? Ever hard core player (and I mean EVERY ONE) will give you all the help you want in that department.

ANW DB is compliant. I need to check the ADB when I finish a contract for AGSI but I'm pretty certain that it's mostly done. That's what I get for runnin 2 DBs

Later
D

Dale can you pass me details of the DB compliant thread so i can file it in vmt, I assume you mean making platforms etc compliant which I have done up to a certian extent without the updated DB Editor which I havnt got

< Message edited by SIRIUS10 -- 1/5/2007 4:37:49 PM >

"Well old boy,this happens in war.I am sorry your ships have been sunk"
- C-in-C PAF to his naval counterpart in 1971
Post #: 8
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/5/2007 7:15:03 PM   
HercMighty

quote:

Herc if you are that concerned about scenarios then why don't you make one? Ever hard core player (and I mean EVERY ONE) will give you all the help you want in that department.

Later
D

Sorry I missed the disclaimer:

"Own Scenario development maybe needed for satisfactory game experience."
Post #: 9
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/6/2007 11:18:14 AM   
ComDev

quote:

Start small, we'll give you all the help you need. EVERYONE will.

I need AGSI's help to fix the weird 3.7 strike mission bugs... amongst other things.

That would allow us to start updating the DB2000 scenarios to 3.7. And as we have stated for the last two-three years now, we would also appreciate it if you could give us a 3.7 SBR that actually works.

Thank you.

Post #: 10
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/6/2007 9:03:23 PM   
Michael104

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty
Sorry I missed the disclaimer:

"Own Scenario development maybe needed for satisfactory game experience."

And why not? There have been other users that make their own scenarios. To be brutally honest there is no onus on anyone to make scenarios, but since there are a large number of them floating about, then I think there's something to be said for making them don't you think?

We don't have a problem supplying scenarios, indeed we're going to have a new set using the HUD3. But the sole reason this community sustained itself during the dark ages was because of the DBs and scenarios that the community made.

I always like to say that you can be either part of the problem, part of the solution or part of the landscape. If you think that the existing hundreds of scenarios are lacking, or aren't enough then make one and add to the cause. Start small, we'll give you all the help you need. EVERYONE will.

Later
D

On the Matrix website purchase page (shopping cart) I found the following feature list:

Game Features
Most accurate naval simulation available to the public
Multiplayer Suport for up to 6 Players
Spectator mode for Multiplayer
Support for VCR record and playback
Over 120 pre-built scenarios
* Tutorials: 8
* Cold War Battleset: 15
* Global Conflicts 1: 15
* Global Conflicts 2: 15
* Global Conflicts 3: 15
* Regional Conflicts 1: 15
* Regional Conflicts 2: 22
* WestPac Battleset: 15
After-Action Log
3rd Party Databases
Scenario editors
Support for Player databases and scenarios
... and many more!

To be honest I think that places the onus on Matrix to make the initial 120 scenarios playable/compliant, especially 6 months after game release. I suggest editing the features list to prevent future buyers from having elevated expectations.

Michael
Post #: 11
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/10/2007 1:36:39 PM   
Tomus

I must admit I am a relative noob to Harpoon. I only own the Matrix version which does indeed seem to have 120 scenarios and I have enjoyed it a lot although I worry the 100% processor usage might fry the old laptop but still its a great game. What is all this discussion about? As I find all the various databases, and arguements and 3.6 versus 3.7.1.4.a versus Harpoon Classic versus Harpoon Commanders Edition, mind boggling tbh. IMO this community seems very opaque and dense to the average noob.

(in reply to Michael104)
Post #: 12
RE: Which Database are you supposed to use? - 1/10/2007 5:30:21 PM   
Tomus

Thanks for the reply VCDH. Loving the game and will stay with the series and I also like the graphical look of the Commanders Edition as well so will be getting that one.

I do think that all this factional infighting that we seem to see here cannot do Harpoon any favours at all in such a niche market you would expect everyone to pull together as ultimately its the players who stand to lose in all of this.

Its not as if the market is packed out with naval strategy games so quite why all this dissent exists is beyond me.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Which Database are you supposed to use? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI