Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

empty corps and divisions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> empty corps and divisions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
empty corps and divisions - 1/6/2007 7:12:54 AM   
General Lee

I am desperately trying to reorganize the army of the potomac, but when I try to get empty corps over from kentucky, every turn they fail (i'm shipping by rail) and when i move them manually, they are disbanded because they are empty. I don't have the spare units to fill them, as i am having a tough enough time bringing units to the front. I think it may have something to do with tennessee but I don't know. Tennesee has been "liberated" but for some strange knoxville appears red as if it were occupied, but the actual town is blue and i am able to build and station troops in it. In anycase, the rail line to fredericksburg goes through there and thats where the corps and division retainers have to go through, could this be a reason its failing? anyway, please help, I've only got something like 40,000 men in a given army when they are completely full.
Post #: 1
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/6/2007 7:25:38 PM   
Joram

well, as a temporary fix, I'd say move them onto a different rail line and then see if that works.  If you have a screenshot of Knoxville, that might help.  An empty corp/div won't disband unless emtpy in enemy territory I believe.

(in reply to General Lee)
Post #: 2
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/6/2007 10:55:28 PM   
General Quarters

I've had containers take a different route from the one I was thinking about and get destroyed. Now I always send them with one unit inside. It doesn't cost much railroad and it saves me the worry.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/6/2007 11:11:44 PM   
Ironclad

When moving containers by rail from east to west, I try to be cautious close to Kentucky and mark a path one province at a time using the m key. Helps to avoid the snaking railway path jumping all over the place.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 4
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/6/2007 11:43:42 PM   
Twinkle

Easy to move by rail as long as you avoid enemy units/territory... just do the movement orders one area at the time.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 5
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 2:03:26 AM   
Gil R.

Yes, choosing the route manually is often important, to avoid losing a container.

If you don't have a spare brigade, stick a general (ideally, one you can spare from combat duties for a turn or two) in an empty container.

As for what General Lee experienced, was all of Tennessee (including the capital) captured by the USA when this happened?

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 6
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 5:49:21 AM   
balto

I did not know the Yanks had any Corps? WHen I start mine up (Advnaced) I thought they only started with Armies and Divisions? I know CSA has some Corps.., is that what you mean?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 5:50:46 AM   
General Quarters

I sent a new empty fleet container down to the Virginia coast to pick up some ships from an oversized fleet I had blockading the place. Before it could acquire any ships, to my shock and horror, it was eliminated as an empty container in an enemy province. I know not to do that again.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 6:09:47 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, that fleet container treating a sea zone as hostile is a bug which is fixed in the next update.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 9:55:08 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, that fleet container treating a sea zone as hostile is a bug which is fixed in the next update.

Ahh nice to know, I just assumed neutral was "hostile" to game code.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 11:55:33 AM   
christof139

I had a Confed Fleet Container do that too, but I didn't know what I was doing anyway but was disturbed that i lost the Fleet that cost a lot to build. I then realized I should have had a ship/boat unit in it. I did this with land containers too, and found that it is best to put units into a container before moving into enemy territory and sieges and field combat. If you have an army besieging an enemy fort, and if you move a new and empty container into that province to help reorganize your army, that empty container will be removed even if after you have moved it into the province you had immesdiately transferred troops to it.

That's how I/we learn if we don't read the manual.

Chris

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 11
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 8:58:20 PM   
Berkut

Why does the rail path go over enemy territory at all?

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 12
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 9:06:50 PM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

Why does the rail path go over enemy territory at all?

Yes, I have wondered that. Seems very odd.

This raises another question -- about a situation in the game I am currently playing as the Union. I am besieging Atlanta, the province is rebel of course. Can I use rail to send more troops down?

< Message edited by General Quarters -- 1/10/2007 9:19:57 PM >

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 13
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/10/2007 9:40:33 PM   
Gil R.

General Quarters,
If there are no enemy forces (including city garrisons and forts, I believe) in any of the provinces through which the trains would go, then you can move troops down by rail. The one way for the CSA to stop you if it doesn't have troops nearby would be to use raiders/partisans to sabotage rail, since that eliminates a number of rail movement points.

Post #: 14
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/11/2007 3:52:43 AM   
General Quarters

Thanks, Gil. I am besieging Atlanta, so there are enemy troops in the city. Do they stop me from using the railroad?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 15
RE: empty corps and divisions - 1/13/2007 2:18:08 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

Thanks, Gil. I am besieging Atlanta, so there are enemy troops in the city. Do they stop me from using the railroad?

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that they do -- after all, those rail lines go right through the city, as I recall.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> empty corps and divisions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI