empty corps and divisions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

General Lee -> empty corps and divisions (1/6/2007 7:12:54 AM)

I am desperately trying to reorganize the army of the potomac, but when I try to get empty corps over from kentucky, every turn they fail (i'm shipping by rail) and when i move them manually, they are disbanded because they are empty. I don't have the spare units to fill them, as i am having a tough enough time bringing units to the front. I think it may have something to do with tennessee but I don't know. Tennesee has been "liberated" but for some strange knoxville appears red as if it were occupied, but the actual town is blue and i am able to build and station troops in it. In anycase, the rail line to fredericksburg goes through there and thats where the corps and division retainers have to go through, could this be a reason its failing? anyway, please help, I've only got something like 40,000 men in a given army when they are completely full.

Joram -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/6/2007 7:25:38 PM)

well, as a temporary fix, I'd say move them onto a different rail line and then see if that works.  If you have a screenshot of Knoxville, that might help.  An empty corp/div won't disband unless emtpy in enemy territory I believe.

General Quarters -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/6/2007 10:55:28 PM)

I've had containers take a different route from the one I was thinking about and get destroyed. Now I always send them with one unit inside. It doesn't cost much railroad and it saves me the worry.

Ironclad -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/6/2007 11:11:44 PM)

When moving containers by rail from east to west, I try to be cautious close to Kentucky and mark a path one province at a time using the m key. Helps to avoid the snaking railway path jumping all over the place.

Twinkle -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/6/2007 11:43:42 PM)

Easy to move by rail as long as you avoid enemy units/territory... just do the movement orders one area at the time.

Gil R. -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 2:03:26 AM)

Yes, choosing the route manually is often important, to avoid losing a container.

If you don't have a spare brigade, stick a general (ideally, one you can spare from combat duties for a turn or two) in an empty container.

As for what General Lee experienced, was all of Tennessee (including the capital) captured by the USA when this happened?

balto -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 5:49:21 AM)

I did not know the Yanks had any Corps? WHen I start mine up (Advnaced) I thought they only started with Armies and Divisions? I know CSA has some Corps.., is that what you mean?

General Quarters -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 5:50:46 AM)

I sent a new empty fleet container down to the Virginia coast to pick up some ships from an oversized fleet I had blockading the place. Before it could acquire any ships, to my shock and horror, it was eliminated as an empty container in an enemy province. I know not to do that again.

Erik Rutins -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 6:09:47 AM)

Yes, that fleet container treating a sea zone as hostile is a bug which is fixed in the next update.

Twotribes -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 9:55:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, that fleet container treating a sea zone as hostile is a bug which is fixed in the next update.

Ahh nice to know, I just assumed neutral was "hostile" to game code.

christof139 -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 11:55:33 AM)

I had a Confed Fleet Container do that too, but I didn't know what I was doing anyway but was disturbed that i lost the Fleet that cost a lot to build. I then realized I should have had a ship/boat unit in it. I did this with land containers too, and found that it is best to put units into a container before moving into enemy territory and sieges and field combat. If you have an army besieging an enemy fort, and if you move a new and empty container into that province to help reorganize your army, that empty container will be removed even if after you have moved it into the province you had immesdiately transferred troops to it.

That's how I/we learn if we don't read the manual.

Chris

Berkut -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 8:58:20 PM)

Why does the rail path go over enemy territory at all?

General Quarters -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 9:06:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

Why does the rail path go over enemy territory at all?

Yes, I have wondered that. Seems very odd.

This raises another question -- about a situation in the game I am currently playing as the Union. I am besieging Atlanta, the province is rebel of course. Can I use rail to send more troops down?

Gil R. -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/10/2007 9:40:33 PM)

General Quarters,
If there are no enemy forces (including city garrisons and forts, I believe) in any of the provinces through which the trains would go, then you can move troops down by rail. The one way for the CSA to stop you if it doesn't have troops nearby would be to use raiders/partisans to sabotage rail, since that eliminates a number of rail movement points.

General Quarters -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/11/2007 3:52:43 AM)

Thanks, Gil. I am besieging Atlanta, so there are enemy troops in the city. Do they stop me from using the railroad?

Gil R. -> RE: empty corps and divisions (1/13/2007 2:18:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

Thanks, Gil. I am besieging Atlanta, so there are enemy troops in the city. Do they stop me from using the railroad?

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that they do -- after all, those rail lines go right through the city, as I recall.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI