Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems - 1/4/2007 10:12:06 AM   
itchy01ca

How can i get Harpoon 3 to look like the classic harpoon that we all love and enjoy?
i HATE this new interface with a PASSION. Its ugly, to put it mildly and not intuitive at all. The sensor ranges aren't showing up on the tactical map at all, i can't see how many ships are in my fleets, the tactical screen itself looks like death, being all black and crap.. it does NOT feel like harpoon at all.
ON TOP OF THAT IT LAGS.
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE ?? I dont exactly have a top end system but COME ON.. its a HOW MANY YEAR OLD GAME?
Im sorry, im seriously thinking about a refund if some of these problems can't be fixed.
Im sure they can be fixed.. or else noone else would play the game, and people do.. so.. help? Please?
Post #: 1
RE: Problems - 1/4/2007 12:01:26 PM   
Flankerk

The look of Harpoon 3 differs in that it resembles a radars eye view of the battlefield. If I understand correctly the user interface will be looked at at some stage also.
Not too clear what you meant by it lags? That might be caused by the speed bar being at maximum calculations, worth playing with those settings.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems - 1/4/2007 2:35:52 PM   
Divefreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: 441.tfs.caf

How can i get Harpoon 3 to look like the classic harpoon that we all love and enjoy?

You´ve simply buyed the wrong game.

So you can wait until H3 gets its new Ui or buy HCE when it is published.

BTW the Look of H3 is the reason why i stick to HC at the moment.

Regards René

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems - 1/4/2007 11:59:20 PM   
NEC1163

I don't mean to step on any toes here, but I like the way it looks. I sat in front of CIC and missile radar consoles for far more hours than I care to count and this display reminds me of the real thing. Granted I was not an Aegis type, so I didn't get to play with the pretty new displays they have, but I like the uncluttered simplicity.

As for other issues such as sensor range rings, I have run into that, but being fairly new to the game, I'm not so certain it's not my error. I did run into the navigation issue, but 3.7.3 seems to have corrected that.

I've read through a lot of these posts about the different versions and I think they're on the right track. I agree that software should have minimal bugs upon release, but this isn't exactly a simple program. I think that if we all stick in there and give constructive feedback, then we'll have a great game.

As I said, I don't mean to step on toes or start a flame war. I don't have enough experience with this game to stand in the middle of these heated debates....

I'm just saying I like the display.

Mark

(in reply to Divefreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems - 1/5/2007 6:47:39 AM   
bobheck

I too am a bit amazed at the number of bugs in a released product. All I have (since I just bought it a week ago) is 3.7.0 and 3.7.3. I have yet to be able to get through a single scenario without problems, and it is starting to grate on me. Bombs not dropping, missions not launching, planes circling target doing nothing, several missiles hitting target and doing zero damage, on and on.

There is one forum thread somewhere I saw that had around 200 bugs. But, there have been few releases. I would think that there would be releases nearly daily with that many bugs, and we would be on something like 3.7.34 or something like that, fixing bugs to satisfy the consumer.

This is just not good public relations. When you have 200 bugs, start fixing and releasing!

What is the policy for a refund anyway? If we don't start getting some fixes out, I might want to return my purchase as well.

< Message edited by bobheck -- 1/5/2007 7:01:54 AM >

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems - 1/5/2007 7:56:23 AM   
ComDev

It's actually a lot more than 200... And some of the bugs are highly critical.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to bobheck)
Post #: 6
RE: Problems - 1/5/2007 8:07:47 AM   
TonyE

Please don't shoot the messenger but from Matrix site, "all sales are final" http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry11?sp=10342&pn=1#q1

You might contact AGSI directly if you are quite upset, Mr. Gilman will at the very least respectfully let you gripe to him personally, past that I'm not sure he has much flexibility on refunds with Matrix publishing the product. 

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 7
RE: Problems - 1/5/2007 10:54:36 AM   
bobheck

Well, I could see that policy standing if it was a workable product. This product is flawed and they do not have a suitable one to replace it with. That is borderline fraud. If they do not refund my money I will see what consumer laws say about something like this and also what the Texas (my state) Attorney General's office has to say. I would be very interested in how they view this situation. I would also contest the charge with MasterCard.

< Message edited by bobheck -- 1/5/2007 11:05:37 AM >

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 8
RE: Problems - 1/5/2007 12:06:07 PM   
bobheck

For those of you that are happy with the game, good for you, have fun.  It is way too buggy for me to spend my money, and I have had the program for only 4 days, so a refund would be appropriate.  We will wait and see what happens.

Some legal information that may be of interest to those that feel 'all sales are final' is enough to deny a refund (cites are from the Uniform Commercial Code, which has jurisdiction over all transactions in all of the the United States, except for Louisiana):

1. You have the right to inspect the product before you accept it.This is UCC Section 2-606(1)(a).
  2. To inspect a program, you have to be able to put it on a computer and run it. You need enough inspection time to can see how the program works, and to have a reasonable opportunity to notice obvious bugs.
  3. If it is impractical for you to inspect a product before you take it home or to the office, then you have the right to inspect the product there. This is UCC Section 2-606(1)(b).
  4. You have the right to a product that works the way that the seller (publisher or retailer) said that it would. The publisher’s and seller’s statements are found in advertisements, on the box, in the user manual and on-line help, on the publisher’s web site, and in your oral discussion with the publisher’s or store’s staff.
  5. If the product doesn’t conform to the contract, you can refuse to accept it (your refusal is a rejection). This is UCC section 2-601. The product fails to conform to the contract if it doesn’t meet the publisher's and seller’s promises, or if it has other defects. Any defect, no matter how minor, is good reason for you to reject the product.
  6. You don’t have much time to inspect the product. If you haven’t rejected the product within a reasonable time after taking it home, the law says that you’ve accepted it. This is in 2-606(1)(b) and 2-602(1). We think that you probably have a few days and you might be able to justify needing a few weeks or, for a very complex program, a few months.

This information came from http://www.badsoftware.com

< Message edited by bobheck -- 1/5/2007 12:36:29 PM >

(in reply to bobheck)
Post #: 9
RE: Problems - 1/5/2007 1:01:30 PM   
Flankerk

We have been here before with Harpoon 3 and as bugs get sorted or prioritised the game functions increasingly better. It is certainly worth persisting with. I can't think of other games with the same complexity or realism. The display is along those lines, it looks closer to the real thing than a gods eye view.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.

(in reply to bobheck)
Post #: 10
RE: Problems - 1/5/2007 1:22:37 PM   
bobheck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flankerk

We have been here before with Harpoon 3 and as bugs get sorted or prioritised the game functions increasingly better. It is certainly worth persisting with. I can't think of other games with the same complexity or realism. The display is along those lines, it looks closer to the real thing than a gods eye view.

While that all may be true, that should all happen in pre-release. A released product should not have this many bugs. It is defective and does not warrant sale. A reasonable buyer should not have to accept and pay for a product that is this defective. If they fix it months down the road and release one without bugs, then I may reconsider and buy it. It is not reasonable to expect me to pay for this poor quality of a product. I am refusing delivery based on a bad product and expect to get a full refund.

(in reply to Flankerk)
Post #: 11
RE: Problems - 1/7/2007 1:30:42 AM   
kengh3

I just picked up this game. It is essentially Harpoon II but buggier. (i've owned 4 differnt versions of Harpoon. I cant plot fighters after an innitial plot for some reason.
Also if i order an attack with these stuck units it shows attack status and no movement to attack :(

Waldo
Post #: 12
RE: Problems - 1/7/2007 9:55:42 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flankerk

We have been here before with Harpoon 3 and as bugs get sorted or prioritised the game functions increasingly better. It is certainly worth persisting with. I can't think of other games with the same complexity or realism.

Armored Task Force, Air Assault Task Force, TacOps... Even Point of Attack 2, whose launch was marred by more bugs than an old mattress, is now in a playable and stable state due to... er... a stunning feat: a regular stream of patches.

(in reply to Flankerk)
Post #: 13
RE: Problems - 1/25/2007 7:47:22 AM   
itchy01ca

Ive spent some time figuring out the interface to H3.. but im still unimpressed. STILL very buggy and the database is VERY out of date.
When IS the next patch?

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 14
RE: Problems - 1/25/2007 1:26:50 PM   
Dagooz

There are several other databases out there. I never use the original since it does not feel right but I don't see it as a problem though. You can get the latest beta patch in the members section.

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 15
RE: Problems - 1/25/2007 11:14:04 PM   
itchy01ca

Alright. Thank you :)

Now the Harpoon Commanders Edition thats coming out.. whats that going to entail?

(in reply to Dagooz)
Post #: 16
RE: Problems - 1/26/2007 1:02:24 AM   
Harvester

quote:

It is essentially Harpoon II but buggier.

It's been a while since I've had any free time to play Harpoon II but I have to say that just reading this forum is so entertaining that it's almost worth the price of admission. The actual game is a bonus.

(in reply to kengh3)
Post #: 17
RE: Problems - 1/26/2007 4:00:03 AM   
YankeeAirRat

To my understanding HCCE is going to be the classic Harpoon 1 interface, a platform editor, the scenario editor, and a new area to play in. AGSI had successfully created the Western Pacific streatching from Pear Harbor and the Hawaiian islands in the east all the way to portions of Bangkok and Singapore in the West and as far south as Brisbane and north to portions of the Aelutian island chain. They have also sort of figured out how to build ground units into the game as well, that move. So you can finally build those missions of using carrier air power or Harriers on amphib ships to support an offensive, all the while trying to fend off attacks against your own fleet. Along with updated the last battle sets put out the EC2000 to a new standard to take part of some of the new rules that came out for the paper verision (4.1) and some new bugs that were quashed in the process of adding ground units. I haven't heard where they stand, but the HCCE does have a forum on this board. So I would consider subscribing to it or at least hawking it to see if the HCCE team posts anything new.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI