Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What does "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern" really mean?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What does "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern" really mean? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What does "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern" really mean? - 8/11/2000 1:26:00 PM   
KG Erwin

For anyone who has read "Panzer Leader" (by Heinz Guderian)or "Guderian" (by Kenneth Macksey), this phrase has been mentioned and intrepreted in varying ways as one of "Schnelle Heinz"'s catchphrases. For anyone who speaks German, what does this term REALLY mean? I have an idea that it has a more earthy translation than is commonly mentioned in the published accounts, since I know that Guderian was a pretty down-to-earth guy when it came to describing his ideas. I think my translation of "Use the fist, not the fingers" is close, but I think he was really saying something else. I'll tell you what I think that really means after I hear from someone who speaks German.Glenn.

Post #: 1
- 8/11/2000 4:43:00 PM   
Guderian

quote:

Originally posted by KG Erwin: For anyone who has read "Panzer Leader" (by Heinz Guderian)or "Guderian" (by Kenneth Macksey), this phrase has been mentioned and intrepreted in varying ways as one of "Schnelle Heinz"'s catchphrases. For anyone who speaks German, what does this term REALLY mean? I have an idea that it has a more earthy translation than is commonly mentioned in the published accounts, since I know that Guderian was a pretty down-to-earth guy when it came to describing his ideas. I think my translation of "Use the fist, not the fingers" is close, but I think he was really saying something else. I'll tell you what I think that really means after I hear from someone who speaks German.Glenn.
Polish translation is "don't knock - strike instead"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
- 8/11/2000 5:24:00 PM   
edgar

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KG Erwin: [B]For anyone who has read "Panzer Leader" (by Heinz Guderian)or "Guderian" (by Kenneth Macksey), this phrase has been mentioned and intrepreted in varying ways as one of "Schnelle Heinz"'s catchphrases. (snip) "Boot'em, don´t spatter'em" or "Kick, don't spit" look at http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen2.htm for more Guderian catchphrases. Edgar

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
- 8/11/2000 10:12:00 PM   
Grumble

Well, it's an idiom so a translation into English doesn't really apply. But the closest interpretation is probably , "Kick(ing) not Spit(ting)".

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
- 8/11/2000 10:43:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Sounds like the meaning is "Kill 'em, don't just pat 'em on the head!" Good tactic! WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
- 8/12/2000 12:08:00 AM   
Arralen

I would try a literal translation, but my english isn't good enough for that However, it's mostly "Use every means available, and use them generously, don't hesitate." .. so maybe "Fist, not fingers" the correct translation, I'm not shure about this.. "Klotz" = "block" "klotzig" = "big n' clumsy" "klotzen" = ...do something the big, impressive (and maybe a bit clumsy) way "kleckern" = "splash,spill (in small amounts)" greetings, Arralen [This message has been edited by Arralen (edited August 11, 2000).]

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
- 8/12/2000 3:40:00 AM   
cjpaul

To everyone: I'm an American living in Germany and I can speak German, but not perfectly. I asked a German friend, and the closest English idiom is "If you do it, do it right."

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
- 8/15/2000 4:52:00 PM   
cb

quote:

Originally posted by cjpaul: To everyone: I'm an American living in Germany and I can speak German, but not perfectly. I asked a German friend, and the closest English idiom is "If you do it, do it right."
The message Guderian was trying to convey was that you should always use the maximum available force and firepower when trying to accomplish something on the field of battle. I think the phrase "Klotzen, nicht kleckern" can best be described by how you knock on a door. "Kleckern" is the one-finger, rather timid, knock, while "Klotzen" is hammering the door with your fist, letting no one be in doubt that you are here and you mean business. The phrase is likely to have originated with Guderian (and others) attempts in the 1930ies to have armour concentrated in divisions rather than spread out in battalions distributed to infantry divisions. Claus B

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
- 8/15/2000 7:54:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Thanks, guys, for your input. The actual words really don't matter, it's how the idea behind the phrase comes across. I suspected there was no literal German-English translation, so my signature will use the various translations I've seen here, if only for the sake of variety. (Plus a few more I'll just make up from time to time). I thought there might be a more vulgar sexual connotation behind it (and I suppose there COULD be), but I'll leave that intrepretation out of this. How about the Arnold Schwarzeneggar version:"Smash zem with your fist, girlie-boy, don't tickle them with your little pinky!" Glenn.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: - 9/6/2020 6:32:16 AM   
Steffenchess

quote:

"Kleckern" is the one-finger, rather timid, knock, while "Klotzen" is hammering the door with your fist, letting no one be in doubt that you are here and you mean business.

Sorry I'm German by birth, lived there for 35years followed by 15 in the U.S.

Before writing this I even checked if in some local dialect what you wrote could be correct but... well maybe in Pennsylvania dutch as your interpretation comes rather close to:
klickern (not kleckern) is what you do with your finger on a table maybe
klotzen can probably have several meanings but comes definitly from KLOTZ=BLOCK

but really the explanation of several others above is correct
and kleckern is definitly not something you do with your finger on a door:

Again a "Klotz" is a "block" and if I may add
"kleckern" is what you do if you spills some fluid or soup (check the dictionary)

So as written above
"if you do it, do it right" is probably an almost perfect translation
I'd go with
don't just spill a bit here and there, put the big stuff out

And sorry to the thread opener - no sexual vulgar connotation here :-)

(in reply to cb)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What does "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern" really mean? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI