Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is your favorite WWII tank?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 4:13:27 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: hawker

Just tell me please someone,in what aspect Sherman was better than Tiger except speed and numbers what is better on sherman???
Armor-NO
Gun-NO

Armor - correct, except the M4A3E2 Jumbo wich had much thicker armor than Tiger on the entire turret and front - sides and rear about the same. (140mm front, 152mm turret all around, and 177mm gun mantlet)
Gun - 88 has a bit more penetration than the 3" M7 and 76mm M1,M1A1 L52 guns, but the latter was good enough to penetrate the Tigers frontal arc at 700 to 900 meters and that's all that is needed (not to mention higher rate of fire).

quote:

ORIGINAL: hawker
Maybe crew was better looking

Well, sometimes perhaps, but probably higher paid.

Note - no one has claimed the M4 was "better" than a Panther.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Oh, and my favorite tank is still the funky looking M-3 Lee, Terror of the PzKw III J

If it is for me than I'd glady bring my Pzgr 40 armed agile III mark special against that lumbering giant of yours. [:P]

BTW which weapon was used in AT role? The 37mm or the 75?

They were both used in the AT role with the 75 being the much more effective weapon, most American M3's had the same 75L40 M3 Gun as in the Sherman, unlike the British Grant that used a shorter M2 75mm gun with a little less performance.

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/2/2007 4:30:43 PM >

(in reply to hawker)
Post #: 391
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 4:24:05 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

TIGER IS BETTER THAN ANY VERSION OF SHERMAN

And the medium MkIV was better than the light Stuart. This is obvious.

Battleships are better than Heavy cruisers, are better Light cruisers, are better than destroyers.

The issue is does that make the Sherman "bad", "out of its depth" or somehow a mistake?

If yor metrics are purely "tank stats" then the heavy Tiger was better than any "medium" and most other heavies until the very end of the war. But does that make it the "best" tank in the context of national doctrine, tactical employment, and roe in winning battles?

It is interesting to note that the T-34 beat the Tiger on the show you discuss.

Just tell me, please someone, in what respect T-34 was better than Tiger except in speed and numbers what is better on T-34???
Armor-NO
Gun-NO
Maybe crew was better looking ;)

TIGER WAS BETTER THNA ANY VERSION OF T34!!

How did the T-34 ever win???

Gee, maybe looking at tank stats in a vacuum is not the best measure...

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 2/2/2007 4:36:14 PM >

(in reply to hawker)
Post #: 392
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 5:03:09 PM   
Procrustes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevin E. Duguay
On a side note, take a look at the Abrams. Without heavy and constant mantenance this supurbe tank also would not last long on the battlefield.

Good point!

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 393
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 5:07:58 PM   
Procrustes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

They were both used in the AT role with the 75 being the much more effective weapon, most American M3's had the same 75L40 M3 Gun as in the Sherman, unlike the British Grant that used a shorter M2 75mm gun with a little less performance.

The Grant had that cooler looking turret, though. (Albeit without the .30 cal in the copula.)

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 394
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 6:22:40 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

or you could argue that allied airpower could destroy german armour faster than they could manufacture it and air support was plentiful so a really powerful tank was never required at all.

Well, Operational reseach studies tends toward alleging, that even during the period that Allied aircraft were most active over the front (Falaise etc.) less than 10% of german tanks shows signs of having been knocked out from the air. Which is not to say that tac. Aorcraft was not a threat or couldn´t have a major impact in one or two instances (At the battle of Dompaire, the 112th Panzer brigade was caught with it´s Panther battalion in a valley. The french 2nd AD encircled and called in XIX Tac. Fighter Bombers who then proceeded to mess up the constricted Panthers majorly. The french then gradually tightened the perimeter and destryed the germans. Only 2 Panthers out of 40 or so got away). But as for the majority of german tank losses, the reason was something else than aircraft.

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 395
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 6:23:35 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Initially the AT weapon of doctrine on the M3 Grant was the 37mm. The 75 was intended solely to be an infantry support weapon and lend-lease units were initially shipped only with high explosive for the 75mm gun.

There was some logic to this choice. The US37mm gun was the best light anti-tank gun of the war, and proved easily capable of punching holes in most variants of the PzIII and some early PzIVs. It was however showing its age by 1942, and the redesign anyhow of the M3Grant into the M4 Sherman with one turret necessitated the elimination of one of the guns. Naturally, because given a choice between a 75mm with AP or a 37mm with AP you'd shoot the 75, the 37mm was chucked. Anyhow, it was clear it was not going to last as an effective weapon.

The US had faith in the 37mm gun in North Africa up until the battle at Kasserine, where the AT gun crews equipped with the 37L54 M3 atgs saw their shots bouncing off until German medium tanks closed to 100 yards. At that point the US began to re-equip all ATG units with 57mm guns... a choice that was one-step behind the tech-curve IMO.

In the PTO the 37L54 was effective throughout the war. Apparently it was used with good effect on Guadalcanal with Stuarts firing AP shot into Japanese log bunkers (to bust them up) and also firing canister.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 2/2/2007 6:42:16 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 396
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 6:24:52 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

On the shatter issue, do we know how often it occurred? I suppose this is difficult to generalise because it depends on a variety of tactical factors, but how big an issue was it? Would every round fired between the problem ranges be at severe risk?

Regards,
IronDuke

Depends on what armor plate you hit and at what angle

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 397
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 6:33:03 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

Well, they had the same area to manoeuver in that they had in 1940 when winning arguably the greatest operational victories in history.

After the initial breakthrough at Sedan, french force to space ratio was LOW, and they had an almost impossible time of moving reinforcements in to blunt it, and was only capable of committing piecemeal. As a consequnce, the germans could achive "maneuver". Not so in 1944, where fleets of 2½ Ton trucks shovelled the entire XVIII Airborne Corps into Bastogne, in front of Peiper and in to the flank at the "tip" of the Bulge (thereby relieveing US Armor stuck ccupying frontage). All accomplished seamlessly in less than 48 hours.

quote:

Yes, but this is precisely down to an innability to interdict and the logistics mismatch and is therefore part of the air reasoning.

Nobody had this fabled "air superiority" over the East Front at any time the germans managed to achieve maneuver any time after the summer of 1942. Manstein didn´t have "air superiority" at either Kharkov or Kursk (or when the counterattack against Op. Rumyantsev was launched in late august), yet the german attacks went in anyway and managed to mess up the soviets in a major way (though only the Kharkov Op. was a clear cut succes at the operational level).

quote:

I also think it is less the size of the opposition as the relative theatre strengths. It is difficult to fight an enemy when you can't threaten in many places at once as he can counter conentrate more easily.

I concur.

quote:

I don't think this is strictly correct. A third of the Panthers stopped at mortain were destroyed by Germans (10)

Meaning: "It stopped moving for any number of reasons, so we blew it up when we couldn´t recover it".

quote:

with 6 from air power and 14 classed as US Army. Certainly, the general feeling on the ground amongst the US units was that it was Allied air power that stopped the assault, yet their kills were quite low, indicating that it was the disruption they caused that really mattered.

Airpowr also works quite well at duffing up infantry on the move and driving it to ground (or into concealing terrain anyway). And as we know, soft transport is so much prey for Tac Air. So yeah, likely correct.

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/2/2007 6:45:58 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 398
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 6:47:00 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

Goll Dern it - the damn board ate my response...I had a much better version but this hits the high points...

According to WO 291/1186 only 14.5% of Allied tanks were damaged or destroyed by german tanks. (22.1% to mines, 22.7% to AT Guns, 24.4% to SP guns and 14.2% to "Bazooka" (ie PFs/PSs))

Paul, that is fascinating. Do you know where I could find that, and moreover - do you know of a breakdown of actual numbers lost, along with similar info for the Germans?

B

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 399
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 7:49:42 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Paul, that is fascinating. Do you know where I could find that, and moreover - do you know of a breakdown of actual numbers lost, along with similar info for the Germans?

Unfortunately I don't have the entire study, just the "snippet" from John Salt's complilation...

Dupuy's work has some breakdowns alng those lines but they are typically for individual engagements in his database, which some criticize as a biased sample. Check his work on Attrition and "Understanding War"

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 400
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 9:16:25 PM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
The US37mm gun was the best light anti-tank gun of the war, and proved easily capable of punching holes in most variants of the PzIII and some early PzIVs.

As ALL 37mm AT guns (russian/german, US) had a penetration of cca 40mm at 500 meteres 30 degrees (Hogg quoted book) it seems a bit of an exageration, but we all know you very well.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 401
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 9:36:31 PM   
mdiehl

From: Hunnicutt, R. P. - Stuart: A History of the American Light Tank.

Using APCM51 @900m penetration 50mm vs 20 degree slope armor face. Slightly greater penetration when fired from the M3 ATG (abot 54mm).

IIRC, the PzIIIs standard front armor was 50mm on the J series, with PzIIIL models adding another 20mm of applique to the lower front glacis (admittedly a problem for the 37mm gun, which is why the US ATG units were upgunned to 57mm after Kasserine).

QED.

P.S. Speaking of exaggerations, according to Wiki the PaK36 could penetrate 29mm armor at 500m (not 40mm) and the Skoda 35mm at 500m (not 40), both vs. armor sloped at 30 degrees. So, errm, your "rebuttal" seems to have undervalued the US 37mm by about 13% and overvalued the German (let's include the Czech weapon here since the Germans used it) 37mm by 38% (PaK36) and 14% (Skoda).

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 2/2/2007 11:04:53 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 402
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 11:06:38 PM   
ezzler

quote:

quote:

I haven't read many { or indeed any } combat reports or biographies of German tankers asking thier commanders to be allowed to swap thier mkv + vi for Shermans. { where is the 'give me a squadron of spitfires' quote?}

I haven't read any biographies where German tankers requested to pull a TOW missile out of their Bag of Holding either. Was "here's a captured Sherman, now go find some ammo for it, or else you can drive this [insert any German AFV here]" ever a choice?

Prehaps a slight misunderstanding...

there were ample reports of crusader tank crews complaining that their equipment was inferior to their enemies PZiii h/j models { in the case of the crusader mk11 VERY INFERIOR}

germann tank crews complained when the T34 and KV's gave them a shock initially

Many of the posters thread points out that the sherman was a winner in 1942 , good in 1943 , adequate in 1944 and outclassed in 45.

But some claimed that the Sherman 76mm was the equal of the tiger or panther by virtue of all kinds 'Top Trumps' statistics.

numbers produced , road speed , bridge weight tolerance , MPG amount of WP rounds held possibly.....take your pick

I was only asking if there is any evidence of Panther or Tiger crews asking for M4's as there were plenty of pz III and PZ IVE crews who wanted a T-34 when that suprise landed.

As has been repeatedly pointed out by many qualified people here the M4 was the equal of anybodies medium but it wasn't { or supposed to be} a Heavy

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 403
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 11:12:09 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

About the Sherman Jumbo, because you asked.

254 were produced between May and July 1944.

1 1/2 inches of armor was added to the hull front and sides.

It had a new lower hull casting 5 1/2 inches thick.

The turret was made of 6 inches of cast armor with a 7 inch gun shield.

All were armed with the 75mm gun when originaly produced.

Permission was granted to feild install the 76mm gun in early 1945.

However some were unofficially converted as early as 10/44 to the 76mm gun.

Entered the ETO about 9/44. It was only used on this front

KED

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 404
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 11:12:31 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

quote:

And regularly did same.

Well, as "regularly" as Tigers showed up anyway. There weren´t really that many of them in the West between 1943 and 1945. High point is probably Normandy (around a 100 all told over the entire fight).

Indeed, and many of those would have faced the Commonwealth forces where they would have been bested by the 17 pdr.

If memory serves, Kelly's battlegroup did meet one outside the bank and Oddball's Sherman had a few issues if memory serves, but don't quote me since it was 20 years ago when I read the AAR and he may have been using a 75 and/or had none of the gold dust HVAP available.

In the movie the lone american tank to make it the city broke down after destroying all but the single tank in the town square. But who really cares? It isnt like "Kelly's Heroes" was about anything that really happened or might have happned.

Twotribes, it was a joke. Do you have smilies set to ignore or something...?

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 2/2/2007 11:25:51 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 405
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/2/2007 11:43:54 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

As has been repeatedly pointed out by many qualified people here the M4 was the equal of anybodies medium but it wasn't { or supposed to be} a Heavy

In general, I, you, and some of "they" seem to agree. It should be noted, however, that some others among "they" (who do not seem to be very qualified on this matter) have stated right out that the Sherman was inferior to every German tank in 1944 (which isn't correct) or that it was (in the 76 armed variants) incapable of holing a PzVIE (which is also incorrect).

My point all along has been that as a medium tank the 75 armed ones are comparable to PzIVs, and the 76 armed ones superior to PzIVs and (one could argue by experience of Korea) to T34s as well. They (the 76 armed ones) were quite capable of taking on the Tiger (as I have noted), but not so great vs a PzV (as I have noted). On occasion, as Rune has noted, Shermans still shot the pants off of PzVs and Panzer VIs used en masse.

So the whole "Sherman is crap Tiger is bestest ever" AF Party Line agitprop is at best a gross oversimplification. Sherman was in fact as good as or better than something like 80% of the AFVs deployed by the Axis in the western front in 1944.

What the US lacked was anything like a Schwere Co attached to armored regiments or a Schwere Rgt attached to armored divisions because the US (apart from 76 armed Jumbo-ized M4s) lacked anything like a Schwere tank.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 406
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 12:17:10 AM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

lacked anything like a Schwere tank.

Not for lack of trying...

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 407
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 12:33:30 AM   
hueglin

quote:

quote:

In general, I, you, and some of "they" seem to agree. It should be noted, however, that some others among "they" (who do not seem to be very qualified on this matter) have stated right out that the Sherman was inferior to every German tank in 1944 (which isn't correct) or that it was (in the 76 armed variants) incapable of holing a PzVIE (which is also incorrect).

My point all along has been that as a medium tank the 75 armed ones are comparable to PzIVs, and the 76 armed ones superior to PzIVs and (one could argue by experience of Korea) to T34s as well. They (the 76 armed ones) were quite capable of taking on the Tiger (as I have noted), but not so great vs a PzV (as I have noted). On occasion, as Rune has noted, Shermans still shot the pants off of PzVs and Panzer VIs used en masse.

So the whole "Sherman is crap Tiger is bestest ever" AF Party Line agitprop is at best a gross oversimplification. Sherman was in fact as good as or better than something like 80% of the AFVs deployed by the Axis in the western front in 1944.

What the US lacked was anything like a Schwere Co attached to armored regiments or a Schwere Rgt attached to armored divisions because the US (apart from 76 armed Jumbo-ized M4s) lacked anything like a Schwere tank.

I agree with what you have stated and it is a very good synopsis of the discussion. There is one thing I would like to add though, at the risk of flaring up the argument some have raised that the M4 was "better because it won the war". The Panther was a new generation of medium tank. It was intended to replace the MkIV in the Panzer Divisions. As I have stated much earlier in this thread, I think it can be viewed as the first MBT, in the sense that it shared many of the characteristics that the generation of tanks in the 1950s and onwards shared. The Centurion and the M26 also could fit into this category of a new generation of tanks. The Sherman and the MkIV were clearly of a different "generation".

The T-34 is a really interesting case in the sense that Russian design philosophy was so different than western design that it is harder to make comaprisons. The Russians clearly designed with simplicity in mind. I'm wondering if the basic T-34 design could have been made into a much more capable tank (optics and transmission and radios) if designed using a more western design approach.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 408
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 12:54:36 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: hueglin

I agree with what you have stated and it is a very good synopsis of the discussion. There is one thing I would like to add though, at the risk of flaring up the argument some have raised that the M4 was "better because it won the war". The Panther was a new generation of medium tank. It was intended to replace the MkIV in the Panzer Divisions. As I have stated much earlier in this thread, I think it can be viewed as the first MBT, in the sense that it shared many of the characteristics that the generation of tanks in the 1950s and onwards shared. The Centurion and the M26 also could fit into this category of a new generation of tanks. The Sherman and the MkIV were clearly of a different "generation".

The T-34 is a really interesting case in the sense that Russian design philosophy was so different than western design that it is harder to make comaprisons. The Russians clearly designed with simplicity in mind. I'm wondering if the basic T-34 design could have been made into a much more capable tank (optics and transmission and radios) if designed using a more western design approach.

The Russians did upgrade the T-34/85 post war with better optics, drive train, and armor - the result was the T-34/85 II pictured below. This was the tank US forces met in Korea.

The tank you are imagining to be developed into an MBT was the T-44 (also pictured below) from late WWII. This tank was the direct predecessor of the T-54 - T-62 series, as M-26 led eventually to M-60.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 409
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 10:22:19 AM   
Ursa MAior

And since when kis the Wiki a "trump pf all" card?

Hogg states that PAk36/Zis-1 had a penetration 50 +-3 mms at 500 m 30 degrees and 50 mm for US at 1000 0 degrees. They are roughly equal. Yes I know that it is 1000 but the slope is NIL.
I recall a report from the desert war, where DAK tank crews speak about the Grant/Lee stating that they feared the 75mm more since even the hit did not penetrate the shock was enough to cause dmg.

In no way have I said anthing tanks I was speaking about weapons.

< Message edited by Ursa MAior -- 2/3/2007 10:38:41 AM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 410
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 3:09:57 PM   
hueglin

quote:

quote:

:ORIGINAL Big B
The Russians did upgrade the T-34/85 post war with better optics, drive train, and armor - the result was the T-34/85 II pictured below. This was the tank US forces met in Korea.

The tank you are imagining to be developed into an MBT was the T-44 (also pictured below) from late WWII. This tank was the direct predecessor of the T-54 - T-62 series, as M-26 led eventually to M-60.

I know the T34/85 was up-gunned and up-armoured but I don't think it had improved optics or transmission (on a par with western designs), although I did do some checking and found out that it had electric power traverse introduced on it. I think most T34/85s still did not have radios in them. Of course, none of that stopped them it being an excellent tank. One interesting thing I did read was the new turret created a shot trap between the hull and the turret. This was one of the problems that the design of the T44 was to eliminate.

On a related note, the Abrams has a similar kind of shot trap. I've often wondered if this might become more of a problem if it ever had to face a tank of comparable capabilities. As it stands right now, the Abrams has always fought against earlier generation tanks with significantly fewer capabilities than it has.

- edited for spelling mistake

< Message edited by hueglin -- 2/3/2007 3:40:06 PM >

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 411
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 3:14:48 PM   
hueglin

A bit of trivia about the M3 Grant / Lee. A veteren of the western desert campaign who had served in M3s told me that if you tired to fire the 75mm while the tank was moving you would more than likely throw off the track due to the recoil.

Just as well that most engagments were conducted from the short halt.

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 412
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 3:26:10 PM   
hueglin

Hi Big B,

I just read your comment on pg 13 about the Panther being a new class of tank - the MBT. I had missed it earlier when I made exactly the same comment on this page. Sorry to repeat your comment, although it does show that we both have made the same analysis, independent of each other.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 413
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 3:39:09 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

On a related note, the Abrams has a similar kind of shot trap. I've often wondered if this might become more of a problem if it ever had to face a tank of comparable capabilities. As it stands right now, the Abrams has always fought against earlier generation tanks with significantly fewer capabilities than it has.

Don´t think it really means much. Modern SABOT tends to shatter instead of rebounding, and HEAT jets either penetrate or is stopped. On the otherhand, old T55s firing 100mm APC ammunition might be just the ticket here

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 414
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 8:58:23 PM   
Big B

quote:

quote:

quote:

:ORIGINAL Big B

I know the T34/85 was up-gunned and up-armoured but I don't think it had improved optics or transmission (on a par with western designs), although I did do some checking and found out that it had electric power traverse introduced on it. I think most T34/85s still did not have radios in them. Of course, none of that stopped them it being an excellent tank. One interesting thing I did read was the new turret created a shot trap between the hull and the turret. This was one of the problems that the design of the T44 was to eliminate.

Well, according to "Tanks of World War 2" by Chris Ellis, 1981:
"In 1947 an improved model was developed, which was designated T-34/85-II. It had improved transmission, armor, vision devices and fire control equipment. This type was used by North Korean and Chinese forces in the Korean War of 1950-3."

So evidently the Soviets did in fact improve the transmission.

quote:

Hi Big B,

I just read your comment on pg 13 about the Panther being a new class of tank - the MBT. I had missed it earlier when I made exactly the same comment on this page. Sorry to repeat your comment, although it does show that we both have made the same analysis, independent of each other.

We were definately on the same wave length.
Also, when I said "imagining" that was a poor choice of words on my part - "pondering" would have been more to the point - sorry.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 415
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 10:17:50 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

I'm saying the Sherman was out of its depth, not criticising those Americans responsible.

quote:

Your line of argument earlier appeared to be "those Americans responsible" were not listening to the complaints of the troops that the Sherman was deficient.

Incorrect. IIRC, my argument earlier was that Americans hereabouts weren't listening to the troops because Americans hereabouts persisted with the Sherman was fine argument.

quote:

THe purpose of teh whole Hunnicutt story was that the reason the Sherman had a poor gun (and other deficiencies) was BECAUSE the armor board was giving so much consideration to "grunt level" issues like, room in the turret to operate efficiently, ability to observe the enemy after shooting, being able to use the radio and shoot at the same time, safely move ammo, etc, etc.

And partially because AGF doctrine envisaged Tanks as arms of manoeuver and frowned upon dueling.

quote:

Now it seems that line of argument has played out and now it was simply "outclassed" by tanks weighing 50% and nearly 100% more, yet must be considered comparable.

Well, if I'm going to use A Tiger or Panther and you are going to use a Sherman, why can't we compare? The Americans and British began the process of comparison the moment they filled their armoured divisions out with them and sent them into combat. The argument that one is medium and the other heavy is a nonsense because they were both employed as Main Battle Tanks. If they can't be compared why were we using them?

quote:

Well, what does "outclassed" mean.

The Sherman was slower, less lethal, less well protected and less manouevrable than the Panther. That is what I mean by outclassed.

quote:

Based on your previous line of argument and what facts are available, it is not based on mission success. According to WO 291/1218, the ratio of Allied tanks to german tanks required for Allied succes was 2.2 in NW Europe, 1.6 overall. the average Allied ration in battle was 4, which should not be surprising, since we won the war. So overall mission accomplishment can't be the reason the Sherman was "outclassed". It would seem it is the casualty rate incurred while winning.

Absolutely.

quote:

T-34 casualty rates were much higher, so by that argument the T-34 must have been even more "out-classed".

Only if you take as read that tank statistics are the only factor. I don't so the above doesn't follow. Superior tactics and C3 would have had an effect on the Russian front.

quote:

According to WO 291/1186 only 14.5% of Allied tanks were damaged or destroyed by german tanks. (22.1% to mines, 22.7% to AT Guns, 24.4% to SP guns and 14.2% to "Bazooka" (ie PFs/PSs)) Casualty rates are a function of exchange ratio per engagement, and number of engagements. Your apparent preffered solution is to increase Sherman lethality to shift the exchange ratio in tank combat, only addresses part of the problem as who has "tactical control" of the engagement and gets the first fire drives the casualty rate more than relative lethality (this was the secreat of how the germans won with equipment "out of its depth" earlier in the war...

These figures are partially skewed by the late war though when German armour was in very short supply. PS/PFs for example may have been responsible for as little as 6% of the kills in the infantry friendly bocage but upwards of 25% when the Allies crossed the Rhine. I think the figures you quote hide as much as they illuminate. Perhaps as many as half of all Tanks killed in Normandy were hit by Tank or SP AT fire. It is unarguable that controlling the fight enhances your chances, but so does taking on obselete equipment.

quote:

Adding the 17lber to the Sherman may have made matters worse since, while it increased lethality, its size reduced efficiency and rate of fire. It is unclear if the increase in lethality would ahve made up for the decrease in engagability.

I don't see how. Logic suggests to me that it is better to get off two shots that might kill something than three shots that won't. The demand for the Firefly and 17 pdr suggests that on the ground (whatever our models 70 years on might suggest)
the Firefly made a difference.

quote:

There is also no evidence that had a "super Sherman" been fielded in large numbers that the germans would have continued to use heavy tank tactical counterattacks nearly as often to counter Allied tank thrusts.

I think the Germans would have continued at least in the first half of the campaign. Standard German doctrine and aggression demanded as much. Facing shermans made them cocky at times, but I don't think you can abandon your entire doctrinal base that quickly. Besides, without offensive action, you don't win.

quote:

Given teir adapability it is likely they would have relied more on mines and AT guns, and use heavy tanks more like SP gunsin mobile defense rather than tactically offensive flanking and turning maneuvers. Given the greate proportions of tank casualties to those weapons, reducing casualties to tanks may have resultdin GREATER over all casualies to the other weapons.

They only have so many of these, though. Your argument suggests they had choices. I think ultimately, they had very few. What made their Tanks effective was the tactical and limited operational mobility that allowed them to take a hand on the battlefield from a reserve. Guns and mines don't have this.

quote:

So the issue driving the Sherman being "out of its depth" relates to casualty rates. So the question is, sure you would like to see victory with as few casualties as possible, but what is the "threshold" for casualties that sees an "acceptable tank" becom "out of its class". And by this metic is teh T-34 similarly "out of is depth"?

Well, it depends who you are. As an American Commander, the acceptable exchange rate was whatever you could sustain longer than the enemy. Attrition is numbers after all. For Commanders at Regiment and Battalion level and below, I'd argue the acceptable rate was a lot narrower, since it was their men and buddies being killed. They didn;t have a choice, though.

Ultimately, what have you got against victory with a better exchange rate like GWI or GWII? This is a very narrow argument. Which was the better Tank?

quote:

Is the fact german heavy tanks apparently had an "acceptable" casualty rate, thus being "within their depth" - yet they still lost render the distinction moot?

Yes, since it is all an academic exercise anyway. However, as I mentioned earlier, three Oliver McCalls may take Ali, but who was the better fighter?

Post #: 416
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 10:27:47 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

or you could argue that allied airpower could destroy german armour faster than they could manufacture it and air support was plentiful so a really powerful tank was never required at all.

Well, Operational reseach studies tends toward alleging, that even during the period that Allied aircraft were most active over the front (Falaise etc.) less than 10% of german tanks shows signs of having been knocked out from the air. Which is not to say that tac. Aorcraft was not a threat or couldn´t have a major impact in one or two instances (At the battle of Dompaire, the 112th Panzer brigade was caught with it´s Panther battalion in a valley. The french 2nd AD encircled and called in XIX Tac. Fighter Bombers who then proceeded to mess up the constricted Panthers majorly. The french then gradually tightened the perimeter and destryed the germans. Only 2 Panthers out of 40 or so got away). But as for the majority of german tank losses, the reason was something else than aircraft.

Alleging? Do you have doubts about the ORS studies?

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 417
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 10:52:47 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Yes, since it is all an academic exercise anyway. However, as I mentioned earlier, three Oliver McCalls may take Ali, but who was the better fighter?

Yup, academic - and you have a different set of assumptions as your boxing analogy shows. Oliver McCall was a heavyweight was he not? Mine would be Sugar Ray Robonson was a better fighter than Ali, despite the fact Ali would have had the advantage in a direct confrontation. Two Sugar Rays could easily have a taken Ali. And it would be little comfort to Ali that he could beat one Sugar Ray if he were set upon by 4.

QED.

Post #: 418
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 11:08:58 PM   
Big B

quote:

quote:

Yup, academic - and you have a different set of assumptions as your boxing analogy shows. Oliver McCall was a heavyweight was he not? Mine would be Sugar Ray Robonson was a better fighter than Ali, despite the fact Ali would have had the advantage in a direct confrontation. Two Sugar Rays could easily have a taken Ali. And it would be little comfort to Ali that he could beat one Sugar Ray if he were set upon by 4.

QED.

Arhemm, ... and more to the point - it wouldn't mean Sugar Ray was a poor boxer in his own right.

Post #: 419
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/3/2007 11:25:10 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

QED.

No. The Sherman wasn't a better fighter than the Panther, so it becomes an Ali versus three average middleweights. However, they are all boxers, are they not? What is the middleweight doing getting into the ring if he is only a middleweight? Ultimately, he's out of his depth is he not? He may win if he can deploy four middleweights, and lose three whilst the fourth sneaks round the back and clobbers Ali in the kidneys but it doesn't make him either a better fighter or a better boxer, it just means he wins by clever use of numbers.

If the sherman was only a "medium" why was it mixing it with the heavier German designs? Ultimately, it was mixing it because "medium" or not, it was first and foremost a Tank and the Germans didn't make allowance when fighting vehicles that were lighter than them. The Sherman, when deployed in armoured formations using fire and maneuver, and likely to face enemy armour, was a Main Battle Tank. It was outclassed in that role by around a third of the Germans it faced, and had its handfull with the other two thirds.

The BAR was a squad light support weapon. As was the bipod MG42. Regardless of their design histories etc, in the squad support role, one had advantages. You can't explain away deficiencies by saying something was a medium. The Sherman was an MBT not a medium tank.

As an example. The later Churchill had much thicker frontal armour than the Tiger, very much thicker than the Panther and weighed around the same as the Panther if memory serves. Could it duel with the Tiger or the Panther? No, because it's 75mm weapon was designed to support infantry and its armour would't generally protect it against the 75 and 88. Therefore, despite being a British "heavy", the same size as the German "Medium", it was not much good as an MBT. Under your argument, we should be comparing these vehicles because both were "mediums" of similiar weight.

In reality, what mattered was its role, not its size. It was an infantry support weapon and as such not designed to duel, and therefore it is excusable for it to not compare, although if the British had filled out the Guards Armoured with them and sent them into Goodwood, we would have had reason to compare them because the Churchill was being asked to perform as an MBT not infantry support.

For a further example, the Sherman when used in recce regiments was better in one respect than the M5 because it was better able to drive off light German resistance that it came across. The M5 was less survivable and aggressive recce of this sort was beyond it. However, its "medium" status is irrelevant, what we are weighing are the attributes and how they fit the given recce role. The M5 had other qualities and weighing up the better recce tank would have to take those into combat.

When weighing up the better Main battle tank, speed, manoeuvrability, armour and armament are all relevant and in this regard the Sherman was adequate until late 43, increasingly obselete after that. However, whilst a variety of factors go into explaining why this was the case (eg One of its issues is that battlefield experience comfirming that was rather later in coming.) none of those mitigating factors alter the fact it was obselete. They merely help explain why.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI