Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is your favorite WWII tank?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 12:24:26 AM   
Ursa MAior

Well it is 40mm for the reading challenged.

Did the weight and the speed matched? Not by the slightest! The pak 36 apcr was even faster than the M3 projectile! Yes it had better pentration due to the longer barrel 65,5 vs 82,5 BUT NOT SIGNIFICANTLY! None was useful after 42, which given the M3 was a development based on the PAK/ZIS is interesting.

< Message edited by Ursa MAior -- 2/7/2007 12:42:10 AM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 481
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 12:32:15 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

quote:

What's the source for this (the M26 assertion).

I believe Hunnicutt's "Firepower" (heavy tank hisory) I will look into it this evening...

On 24 May 1943 The War Department approved production of 10 T26 tanks as part of a larger production order on T20-series tanks. In an indorsement to an earlier Armored Command letter requesting adjustment to the production numbers of M4, on 13 September 1943 , the Ordnance Department requested production of an additional 500 T26s. General Lesley J. McNair, CG of AGF, successfully opposed this request. On 13 November 1943 General Jacob Devers, CG of the European Theater of Operations, requested production of 250 T26s. Because of McNair’s continued opposition to production of the T26 and other objections, on 7 December 1943 MG Joseph McNarney queried Devers whether his request was based on operational requirements. On 10 December 1943, Devers confirmed his request for production of 250 T26s. As of 21 February 1944 the Ordnance Department estimated first production of the 250 T26s in October 1944. Production actually began in November. Prototypes from the batch of 10 ordered in May 1943 started arriving during February 1944. On 20 May 1944 The Armored Board at Fort Knox emphasized that the T26 was not ready for production in its present state.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m26-pershing.htm

Surely FAS is a reputable (albeit secondary) source

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

Post #: 482
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 12:32:39 AM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Well it is 40mm for the reading challenged.

That is for PzGr 40 - APCR which would be tumbling by 1000m and STILL would have less penetration than the M51...

Might as well quote the StGr 41...

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 483
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 12:34:31 AM   
Ursa MAior

Hey it is not about some freakn' details it is about equivalency. And you failed in that hombre.

edit

It is a sad day for allied fanboys. First mdiehl and then you.

< Message edited by Ursa MAior -- 2/7/2007 12:49:35 AM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 484
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 1:09:06 AM   
ezzler

quote:

hmmm Be2c or a Roland c2
hmm Neiuport 17 or an Albatross D2
hmmm sopwith pup or Albatros d3

if being beaten in top speed , endurance , ceiling , manouverability and firepower doesent count as OUTCLASSED for aircraft then what does?

Why didn´t the germans win the air war then?

Don't be silly... you might as well ask why the coalition is losing in iraq. they have superior weapons , yet they lose , so those weapons can't be superior??????

The point is, that those of US willing to defend the Sherman as "good enough" is not blind to the shortcomings of US tank development or doctrine. So we aren´t really excusing those aspects. But even partially faulty development tracks abd doctrinal discussions can´t take away from the fact that the Sherman was a fine design.

Which i'm sure is correct . The Sherman was better than 'good enough' as has been amply demonstated. My complaint was the few who alledged that it was actually THE BEST.

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 485
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 1:24:44 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

Hey it is not about some freakn' details it is about equivalency.

The problem is that the guns were not equivalent. Using APCR and assuming the figures that you quoted the PaK36 developed 40mm penetration at 500m. This against the US M3's 53mm (in the M3 ATG) or 50mm (in the M5/M6 tank gun version) against the same (30 degree sloped) armor at 500m.

Details matter alot. In detail, the US gun had 20% better penetration at 500m than the Pak36, and substantially better penetration at 900m (a factor of two at least).

The M3/M5/M6 can hole a PzIII out to 900m, other than PzIIIL types with the reinforced (70mm) lower glacis, and many of the early PzIVs. A PaK36/Skoda could not have done same.

Judging by their actual merits the M3/M5/M6 was a substantially better 37mm than the German or Czech weapon. None of them were main battle weapons in 1943. But the M5/M6 soldiered on to the end of the war in recce vehicles including the M8 Greyhound and M5 Stuarts --- largely because for busting up lightly armored AFVs (SD251, German armored cars) and light duty infantry support (where the greater shell weight also made it a better HE weapon) it could still get the job done.

I don't think anyone imagines it to have been a great AP weapon after 1942. By then tanks simply had much thicker armor. But if you'd wanted to hole, say, a Crusader I at 900m, or an early PzIIIJ at 800m, you'd have been far better off firing an M3 than a PaK36.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 2/7/2007 1:37:46 AM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 486
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 2:17:02 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

quote:

What's the source for this (the M26 assertion).

I believe Hunnicutt's "Firepower" (heavy tank hisory) I will look into it this evening...

On 24 May 1943 The War Department approved production of 10 T26 tanks as part of a larger production order on T20-series tanks. In an indorsement to an earlier Armored Command letter requesting adjustment to the production numbers of M4, on 13 September 1943 , the Ordnance Department requested production of an additional 500 T26s. General Lesley J. McNair, CG of AGF, successfully opposed this request. On 13 November 1943 General Jacob Devers, CG of the European Theater of Operations, requested production of 250 T26s. Because of McNair’s continued opposition to production of the T26 and other objections, on 7 December 1943 MG Joseph McNarney queried Devers whether his request was based on operational requirements. On 10 December 1943, Devers confirmed his request for production of 250 T26s. As of 21 February 1944 the Ordnance Department estimated first production of the 250 T26s in October 1944. Production actually began in November. Prototypes from the batch of 10 ordered in May 1943 started arriving during February 1944. On 20 May 1944 The Armored Board at Fort Knox emphasized that the T26 was not ready for production in its present state.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m26-pershing.htm

Surely FAS is a reputable (albeit secondary) source

Yes, but we should note that this represented an about face from Devers who didn't want heavies in December 1942. The Tank also looked distinctly Germanic in that it wasn't ready for combat (perhaps in part to a lack of urgency about heavies partly engendered by Devers himself - although in the main by MCNair).

Besides, I thought the ordnance board had proposed building 500, so what did Devers have in mind wanting half that number. I also understood from Ellis and Chamberlain that the armoured board wanted the 90mm putting into M4s rather than anything new and opposed the T26 as well, so there was more holing this proposal than just the usual suspects.

I do understand that AGF eventually proposed (around April 1944) getting around 8000 of these vehicles, 7000 75mm and 1000 76mm so I'm not sure this proves much save doctrine wanted Cavalry Tanks until harsh experience taught them otherwise.

Post #: 487
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 3:51:55 AM   
Big B

Hello all,

As a point of interest for this discussion, but mainly for anyone with an interest in WWII Armor in general, there is a very infomative website entitled "Guns vs Armor 1939 to 1945".  the link is here -   http://www.freeweb.hu/gva/index.html

This is a very good website and has a lot of info available online that has been obtained from some of the best published sources in print.
I thought I should share this with everyone.

B

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 488
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 7:48:48 AM   
Paul Vebber

Regarding heavy tanks - the M6 program was ongoing until February 1944 when the last of 40 Production vehicels was made. Much of the disatisfaction withthe "heavy tank program" by 'the Armored Force' were made regarding the M6. I don't have Hunnicutt's volume on the Pershing - though it is clear from the coerage in Sherman and Firepower, that the Pershing ws considered a Medium, not a Heavy tank by some, and not by others originally, causing some confusion.

Anyway, I will try to find a copy of Pershing...

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 489
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 8:29:04 AM   
Paul Vebber

Gus v Armor is a good resource. IIRC Robert Livingston was the original compiler. The best overall reference is the book he and Lrrin Bird did, WWII Ballistics: Armor and Gunnery. Using his trajectory approximation, and the GvA projectle information, pluggin it into a spreadsheet that uses the Natioanl Phsics Lab equation for armor penetration (I managed to get a copy of "Penetration of Armored Plate From NTIC before they stopped doing paper "publish on demand"...

Anyway the NPL was tested on a wide variety of t/d ratios, Plate hardness form the standard 250 up to 450 and for nearly 1000 trial combinations and ws determined to be accurate with a standard deveiation of ~2% across an envelop (95%) that would rarely approximately 3% above the computed value to 5% below.

The following graph is done using the appropriate slope modifier (from Bird and Liingston) for 30 degrees.

Note that these will differ from "official" figures - which are based on national criteria that vary considerably. Calculations such as these are teh only way to do an "apples to apples" comparision for a standard plat hardness and succes criteria.

The APCR performance is good out to bout 400 yards, but drops off dramatically nd is actually worse than the solid AP at 800 yards. The M5 is consistantly superior to the standad AP, and more than double either of the others at 1000 yards.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 2/7/2007 9:01:19 AM >

Post #: 490
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 9:42:49 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Forgive me if this has been covered (this thread has grown to 16 pages, after all...)

I was wondering why the Germans stuck with the Panther, even though it was not being produced in the numbers that the Germans needed. (They probably knew, roughly, the size of the Red Army bearing down on them...)

By 1944, Germany was fighting in France, Italy, and a line extending from the Baltic to the Black Sea, garrisoning the Balkans (Yugoslavia, Greece), fighting off hordes of Allied bombers, and trying to wage a Uboat campaign, as well as trying to keep it's industrial centers running.

Was there a manpower shortage, such that, it influenced the planners to stick with fewer, but (hopefully) better quality equipment? (In other words: "Well, we could make 45,000 of these MkIV, or 10,000 Panthers. But we only have the manpower to man 15,000 tanks...")

Just thinking out loud. Thank you.

Just a small comment here. While I think you would expect that the the Panther took a great deal more materials to produce (armor if nothing else) in addition to what the PZIV had, the production numbers for the Panther were actually higher than for the PZIV by several hundred in 44-45 (introduced in 43). The PZIV production was slightly higher than in the previous years in 44, but the Panther still beat it.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 491
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 9:42:56 AM   
Ursa MAior

I was wrong. 10mm of steel is 10 mm of steel. If I take the distance and the slope in account it will be around 50mm for the M3 at 500 yds. Which is something you would expect from a later developed, longer barreled gun.

I stand corrected.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 492
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 3:26:30 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

[Don't be silly... you might as well ask why the coalition is losing in iraq. they have superior weapons , yet they lose , so those weapons can't be superior??????

I am going to call Non Sequitur on this one.

quote:

Which i'm sure is correct . The Sherman was better than 'good enough' as has been amply demonstated. My complaint was the few who alledged that it was actually THE BEST.

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 493
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 3:32:30 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

Yes, but we should note that this represented an about face from Devers who didn't want heavies in December 1942.

He didn´t want a "Heavy", yes. But as Vebber alludes to, the T26 project is often presented in contemporary US sources as a "Heavy Medium". The "Heavy" designs were the M6 and T95. And the freewheeling Armor Branch predictably didn´t want to be saddled with those turkey designs.

quote:

The Tank also looked distinctly Germanic in that it wasn't ready for combat (perhaps in part to a lack of urgency about heavies partly engendered by Devers himself - although in the main by MCNair).

I agree.

quote:

Besides, I thought the ordnance board had proposed building 500, so what did Devers have in mind wanting half that number. I also understood from Ellis and Chamberlain that the armoured board wanted the 90mm putting into M4s rather than anything new and opposed the T26 as well, so there was more holing this proposal than just the usual suspects.

True. But 90mm armed Shermans by midearly fall 1944 instead of the M26 would still have been a better solution than the one they chose in "Real Life" (Fullblown TD programme paired with fitful Sherman armament upgrades)

quote:

I do understand that AGF eventually proposed (around April 1944) getting around 8000 of these vehicles, 7000 75mm and 1000 76mm so I'm not sure this proves much save doctrine wanted Cavalry Tanks until harsh experience taught them otherwise.

True. But those in the know also wanted Cavalry tanks with either heavy enough armament to tackle all comers (76 or 90mm Sherman). Or wanted a "Heavy" cavalry tank (T 26) to supplement the lighter Shermans. All of this in mid-late 1943.

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 494
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/7/2007 3:36:55 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

Just a small comment here. While I think you would expect that the the Panther took a great deal more materials to produce (armor if nothing else) in addition to what the PZIV had, the production numbers for the Panther were actually higher than for the PZIV by several hundred in 44-45 (introduced in 43). The PZIV production was slightly higher than in the previous years in 44, but the Panther still beat it.

A logical consequnce of full economic mobilization and rationalization, coupled with an unsuccesful attempt to switch from one type to another.

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 495
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/8/2007 12:56:18 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

quote:

A logical consequnce of full economic mobilization and rationalization, coupled with an unsuccesful attempt to switch from one type to another.

I would only call it unsuccessful if indeed they intended to totally eliminate new PZIV production. I'm not convinced they did. I'm also not convinced that they didn't do the best thing between the two afterall. I think the Panther cost quite a bit more money to produce, so it was probably wise to do just what they did. If eliminating PZIV's would have given them only another 1,000 - 1,500 Panthers I don't think it would had been the better thing to do. I don't think having more PZIV's and less Panthers than they had would had been a better thing, but there had to be a threshold somewhere where you kept making the cheaper design just to get a few more numbers out there. I wouldn't make that same argument for german light tanks compared to PZIV's and Panthers, mainly because the light ones were pretty much incapable of taking out an allied tank even from side and rear shots. At least the PZIV had enough punch to hole even a few from the front.

So do you really think they wanted to eliminate the PZIV in favor of the Panther? In a one-to-one comparison it's easy to make the choice, but as economics play into RL decisions it's not such an easy choice, and since the Panthers had more than likely greater difficulty in crossing obstacles and bridges, and so forth, you would have to have some decent punch from an actual medium tank to not limit operations too seriously. I consider the Panther a hybrid. The speed of a medium, but the weight and punch of a heavy.

Post #: 496
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/8/2007 5:45:24 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

So do you really think they wanted to eliminate the PZIV in favor of the Panther?

I don´t think. I know. Look at production figures in 1945. The germans are increasingly using their PZ IV chassis (almost 2/3 of the entire 1945 hull production run) for making Assault guns and SPTD´s. In 1944 the corrsesponding number is about half the PZ IV hulls used for SP Guns of all types. So yes, they were indeed (unsuccesfully) trying to phase out the MK IV.

quote:

I wouldn't make that same argument for german light tanks compared to PZIV's and Panthers, mainly because the light ones were pretty much incapable of taking out an allied tank even from side and rear shots

They kept the "lights" in production untill the end. Used them as either reconnaisance vehicles, or as the basis for SP Guns of all sorts (AA, AT, Assault, Flamthrowers, etc.)

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/8/2007 6:01:16 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 497
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/9/2007 8:52:23 AM   
Charles2222

I don't think you understood what I was saying. You cannot base production figures alone on whether they wanted to phase it out or not during WWII. It's about intent. In the case where I say that I think they did the right thing in that regard, then clearly if it were up to me I would have intended for what happened to have happened, and yet the figures would be the same, whereas they might not had intended to entirely eliminate them (and it wasn't eliminated anyway). What I'm trying to say, is that if they really intended to eliminate PZIV production in favor of the Panther, which I believe 'eliminate' is the word you used, then clearly they wouldn't have botched it so badly to keep producing so many PZIV's a good two years after the Panther introduction. Maybe given another 1-2 years they would have stopped producing it completely in favor of the Panther, but as things stood during WWII, they didn't even come close, but merely had it to the point of producing more Panthers. If the war had lasted another 2-3 years, the germans would had been stupid to entirely stop making the PZIV in favor of the Panther. The Panther just took a lot more to produce.

I don't have the link here at work, but I have seen charts that seemed to suggest that light "tanks" simply weren't produced anymore after '44 in germany. That's not to say they didn't produce Pumas for example, but that wasn't technically a light tank anyway, though in many ways it could pretty much function as one. They also might had been making light tank "hulls" for the likes of assault guns and so forth, but I was talking about entire tanks produced themselves and not just hulls.

So did I completely understand you?

Oh, nevermind the last paragraph, I don't know how I didn't see that you were basically agreeing that the lighth tanks weren't being made anymore, but only their hulls. I thought you were trying to argue that light tanks were being produced just because their hulls were. By the way, as far as armored cars go, I don't think you could use a light tank hull on those. I think it would have to be classified more like an assault gun or tank destroyer.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 2/9/2007 9:28:50 AM >

Post #: 498
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/9/2007 4:59:18 PM   
11Bravo

My favorite tank, even in SPWAW. The Sherman is OK but has trouble keeping up with the mech infantry and Greyhounds.

(Is the commander getting ready to be "relieved"?)

< Message edited by 11Bravo -- 2/9/2007 5:13:17 PM >

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

Post #: 499
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/10/2007 1:14:25 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

I don't think you understood what I was saying. You cannot base production figures alone on whether they wanted to phase it out or not during WWII. It's about intent. In the case where I say that I think they did the right thing in that regard, then clearly if it were up to me I would have intended for what happened to have happened, and yet the figures would be the same, whereas they might not had intended to entirely eliminate them (and it wasn't eliminated anyway).

Yup. And the germans clearly intended to phase out the Panzer IV. Otherwise they wouldn´t use half the 1944 and the majority of the 1945 MK IV hull production run to make anything but MK IVs proper. Compare with the 1943 MK IV hull production run, where about 80% of the produced hulls are completed as MK IV Tanks proper.

quote:

What I'm trying to say, is that if they really intended to eliminate PZIV production in favor of the Panther, which I believe 'eliminate' is the word you used, then clearly they wouldn't have botched it so badly to keep producing so many PZIV's a good two years after the Panther introduction. Maybe given another 1-2 years they would have stopped producing it completely in favor of the Panther, but as things stood during WWII, they didn't even come close, but merely had it to the point of producing more Panthers. If the war had lasted another 2-3 years, the germans would had been stupid to entirely stop making the PZIV in favor of the Panther. The Panther just took a lot more to produce.

You just don´t throw out serviceable tanks (especially not in 1944-45) and retool production lines at the drop of a hat. Doesn´t happen. Didn´t mean they didn´t want to, and the MK IV production history tells us as much.

quote:

I don't have the link here at work, but I have seen charts that seemed to suggest that light "tanks" simply weren't produced anymore after '44 in germany. That's not to say they didn't produce Pumas for example, but that wasn't technically a light tank anyway, though in many ways it could pretty much function as one. They also might had been making light tank "hulls" for the likes of assault guns and so forth, but I was talking about entire tanks produced themselves and not just hulls.

So did I completely understand you?

Oh, nevermind the last paragraph, I don't know how I didn't see that you were basically agreeing that the lighth tanks weren't being made anymore, but only their hulls. I thought you were trying to argue that light tanks were being produced just because their hulls were. By the way, as far as armored cars go, I don't think you could use a light tank hull on those. I think it would have to be classified more like an assault gun or tank destroyer.

Modifications of the light tanks (PZ IIL, Aufk. 38(t)) was kept in production as tracked reconnaisance vehicles untill the end, and used as such instead of armoured cars or halftracks. So it wasn´t just the hulls they were converting. But yeah, after 1942 the german pre war "light" tanks mostly lived on as SP Guns of various kinds.

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 500
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/10/2007 1:53:27 AM   
Terminus

Attachment (1)

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 501
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/10/2007 3:40:03 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

"On the Southwestern Front, opinions are in favor of the Sherman tank and it's cross-country ability. The Sherman tank climbs mountains that our Panzer crews consider impassable. This is accomplished by the especially powerful engine in the Sherman in comparison to it's weight. Also, according to reports from the 26. Panzer Division, the terrain crossing ability on level ground (in the Po valley) is completely superior to our Panzers. The Sherman tanks drive freely cross-country, while our Panzers must remain on trails and narrow roads And therefore are very restricted in their ability to fight.

All Panzer crews want to recive lighter Panzers, which are more maneuverable, possess increased ability to cross terrain, and guarantee the necessary combat power just with a superior gun.

This desire by the troops corresponds with the conditions that will develop in the future as a result of the drop in production capacity and of the fact that, because of the shortage of chrome, sufficiant armor plate can't be produced to meet the increased production plans. Therefore, either the number of Panzers produced must be reduced or it will be nessessary to reduce the thickness of the armor plate. In that case, the troops will unequivocally ask for a reduction of the armor thickness in order to increase the total number of Panzers produced."

Report written by Albert Speer on November 1st 1944 after a trip to Italy on the dates between the 19th to the 25th of October 1944.

I'm not a big Sherman fan, but this report speaks for it self!

From Panzer Truppen 2, pages 150-151.

KED

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 502
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/10/2007 11:35:32 AM   
Charles2222

Rune Iverson:
quote:

Yup. And the germans clearly intended to phase out the Panzer IV. Otherwise they wouldn´t use half the 1944 and the majority of the 1945 MK IV hull production run to make anything but MK IVs proper. Compare with the 1943 MK IV hull production run, where about 80% of the produced hulls are completed as MK IV Tanks proper.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not. Compare the '43 figures to the '44 for the PZIV. From the charts I saw the PZIV "increased" in '44 around 100 PZIV's more than in '43, and as such I see no intent to phase them out, at least not entirely. Just a vague look at the '45 production and it looks to me that when it is compared to Panther production that the '44 ratio has changed very little if any, which means they certainly weren't phasing it out even if they wanted to. There's no doubt that many people might think it a better idea to phase it out more strongly than they did, but if they intended to phase it out entirely you would think the production figures would have dropped at least 25% lower than the Panther. Naturally the total production of all types of tanks weren't as good in '45, but the ratio between the two tanks didn't change much at all.

quote:

Oh yes, I have considered that, but two years is a long time for the ratio of PZIV's to Panthers to basically not change at all. It's pretty clear they re-tooled no more than 10% to Panthers, and probably far less than that. So how long did it take the USA to stop producing Grants and start re-tooling to Shermans? Far less than two years apparently; probably less than 9 months. If they said they really wanted to eliminate the PZIV for the Panther, they look like pretty empty words to me.

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 503
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/10/2007 3:39:34 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not.

Possibly.

quote:

Compare the '43 figures to the '44 for the PZIV. From the charts I saw the PZIV "increased" in '44 around 100 PZIV's more than in '43, and as such I see no intent to phase them out, at least not entirely.

A logical consequnce of full economic mobilization from 1943 onwards, is the increasing of production figures. The german industry tops in the summer of 1944. Also notice, that I remarked, that they were "unsuccesful" in phasing out the IV for various reasons (inability to retool production on the fly, not enough Panthers, MK IV hull still kept in production etc.)

quote:

Just a vague look at the '45 production and it looks to me that when it is compared to Panther production that the '44 ratio has changed very little if any, which means they certainly weren't phasing it out even if they wanted to.

The number of Panthers (Hulls) rises from an approximate 63-37% relationship to a 60-40% relationship from 1944-45. In the MK IVs favor. The relationship between tanks proper are 54-46 (1944) and 57-43 (1945) Both in the Panthers favor. The corresponding numbers for 1943 is 68-32 (hulls) and 62-38 (tanks proper). Both in the MK IVs favor. What does this show you?

quote:

There's no doubt that many people might think it a better idea to phase it out more strongly than they did, but if they intended to phase it out entirely you would think the production figures would have dropped at least 25% lower than the Panther.

Speer: Mein Führer we are losing the war.

Hitler: Drop production rates!

Just didn´t happen. You just don´t stop production of a major hull type, when you were as much on the ****ter as the germans were in 1945. Doesn´t mean they didn´t want to, and the MK IV hulls increasingly found other (and arguably better) uses than just tanks.

quote:

Naturally the total production of all types of tanks weren't as good in '45, but the ratio between the two tanks didn't change much at all.

Again: You just don´t stop producing a certain type of tanks at the drop of a hat when you are fighting for your life against the rest of the world. You do however phase it out gradually and put the hulls out to pasture in other more useful roles.

quote:

Oh yes, I have considered that, but two years is a long time for the ratio of PZIV's to Panthers to basically not change at all.

Heh. it only becomes two years if you factor in the 1943 production run. We can do that though. In that case, you have a relationship between the MK/Panther of 38-62 (Tanks proper) or 32-68 (Hulls) both in the MK IVs favor. If we take the relationship of the tanks proper, then the relationship changes one of 62-38 in the MK Ivs favor to one of 57-43 in the Panthers favor. If we the measuring stick is total number of hulls produced (of both types), the relationship goes from one of 68-32 to 60-40 between 1943 and 1945. Which shows the gradual phaseout of a hulltype no longer thought desirable in it´s orginal form.

quote:

It's pretty clear they re-tooled no more than 10% to Panthers, and probably far
less than that.

Yes.

quote:

So how long did it take the USA to stop producing Grants and start re-tooling to Shermans? Far less than two years apparently; probably less than 9 months. If they said they really wanted to eliminate the PZIV for the Panther, they look like pretty empty words to me.

Non sequitur. The US M3 and M4 hulls were largely interchangeable, and the uptooling of production lines a mere triviality. The MK IV and Panther hulls weren´t (to put it mildly) The US also had industrial capacity to spare, something that Germany didn´t have in 1944-45, where all manner of pre war hull designs (some even in their original form)were kept in production in order to make up the numbers of Germanys dwindling armoured fleet. The majority of those hulls were used as basis for assault guns though, not proper tanks. And so it was with the MK IV as well.

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/10/2007 4:20:54 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 504
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 3:40:39 AM   
freeboy

Not that I trust Russian sources, but does anyone have a reliable source for total red army production, last I recall reading it was an astounding figure eclipsing all other combatents combined!

Post #: 505
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 8:17:28 AM   
Charles2222

Rune Iversen:
quote:

The number of Panthers (Hulls) rises from an approximate 63-37% relationship to a 60-40% relationship from 1944-45. In the MK IVs favor. The relationship between tanks proper are 54-46 (1944) and 57-43 (1945) Both in the Panthers favor. The corresponding numbers for 1943 is 68-32 (hulls) and 62-38 (tanks proper). Both in the MK IVs favor. What does this show you?
I know what it shows, it's just that it doesn't seem to back your contention that they failed to eliminate the PZIV. IOW, it's more than a failure here, it's more like an out and out lack of desire to even gradually phase it out, much less eliminate it. If they had the slightest inclination to eliminate it, that had to be one of the worst eliminations in history.

quote:

Non sequitur. The US M3 and M4 hulls were largely interchangeable, and the uptooling of production lines a mere triviality. The MK IV and Panther hulls weren´t (to put it mildly) The US also had industrial capacity to spare, something that Germany didn´t have in 1944-45, where all manner of pre war hull designs (some even in their original form)were kept in production in order to make up the numbers of Germanys dwindling armoured fleet. The majority of those hulls were used as basis for assault guns though, not proper tanks. And so it was with the MK IV as well.

Picking the Grant/Sherman may not had been a very good idea as an overall example, but I couldn't think offhand of another medium that re-tooled to another medium like that. For example the T34's weren't a very fundamental shift throughout it's series. I also realize their being USA tanks didn't help matters much either in terms of what I was trying to say, but it's all I could think of. The Panther was introduced before '44 of course, but maybe you mention the re-tool difficulty for only 44-45 because that might supposedly be the period where they decided to re-tool for elimination of the PZIV, and not before. I don't care how difficult it was for germany to pulll it off, there clearly was very little effort there, so I do think they really didn't put a lot of thought behind any statements in that regard. The only thing that could be construed as elimination, would be that they might had decided to not allow any new factories to produce PZIV's, but then that has nothing to do with re-tooling. It might also be accurately stated that if a PZIV factory were destroyed through bombing, that to further the elimination theory they would also not re-build the factory, whereas they would bother to re-build a Panther one.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 2/11/2007 8:34:52 AM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 506
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 12:16:03 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

I know what it shows, it's just that it doesn't seem to back your contention that they failed to eliminate the PZIV.

It does. Next question.

quote:

IOW, it's more than a failure here, it's more like an out and out lack of desire to even gradually phase it out, much less eliminate it. If they had the slightest inclination to eliminate it, that had to be one of the worst eliminations in history.

For the reasons stated above. Besides, they do gradually try to phase it out. The production figures shows us as much. It really is that simple. The percentage of MK IVs in relation to MK Vs (tanks proper) goes down from one of 62-38 to one of 43-57. Or to put it more bluntly: For each two Panther in 1943 they produced three MK IVs. Not so in 1945, where the relationship is slightly lower than 1:1 in the Panthers favor. 5 Panthers produced for each 4 MK IVs. They were gradually phasing it out. The production numbers shows that it was so.

quote:

Picking the Grant/Sherman may not had been a very good idea as an overall example, but I couldn't think offhand of another medium that re-tooled to another medium like that. For example the T34's weren't a very fundamental shift throughout it's series. I also realize their being USA tanks didn't help matters much either in terms of what I was trying to say, but it's all I could think of.

British shifts within the Cruiser family 1939-44? Soviet shift from KV to IS HVY Tanks?

quote:

The Panther was introduced before '44 of course, but maybe you mention the re-tool difficulty for only 44-45 because that might supposedly be the period where they decided to re-tool for elimination of the PZIV, and not before.

Heh. Since they kept producing the hulls, they didn´t retool the MK IV factories. It´s a fallacy. MK IV hull production is as high as you please throughout. The production of MK IVs proper... weren´t.....

quote:

I don't care how difficult it was for germany to pulll it off, there clearly was very little effort there, so I do think they really didn't put a lot of thought behind any statements in that regard.

True, but for a different reason than you think.

quote:

The only thing that could be construed as elimination, would be that they might had decided to not allow any new factories to produce PZIV's, but then that has nothing to do with re-tooling.

This is the real world, not Command and Conquer. You just don´t "decide" at a whim what factories produce and what they don´t.

quote:

It might also be accurately stated that if a PZIV factory were destroyed through bombing, that to further the elimination theory they would also not re-build the factory, whereas they would bother to re-build a Panther one.

You are simply guessing now. Put up something concrete. At your leisure.

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 507
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 1:46:45 PM   
Terminus

Good Lord, you're arrogant...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 508
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 1:48:40 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Good Lord, you're arrogant...

Al for megen hćder

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 509
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 3:03:15 PM   
Charles2222

Rune Iversen:
quote:

For the reasons stated above. Besides, they do gradually try to phase it out. The production figures shows us as much. It really is that simple. The percentage of MK IVs in relation to MK Vs (tanks proper) goes down from one of 62-38 to one of 43-57. Or to put it more bluntly: For each two Panther in 1943 they produced three MK IVs. Not so in 1945, where the relationship is slightly lower than 1:1 in the Panthers favor. 5 Panthers produced for each 4 MK IVs. They were gradually phasing it out. The production numbers shows that it was so.

I only have time for a partial response right now, but I had to comment on this bit. No, no, no, no, no, no, rune, you cannot take the '43 figures into account really. The Panther wasn't being produced for the whole year, thereby very partial production at best for the Panther. Look at the PZIV totals alone, they actually "rise" in '44 from '43, IOW, not being phased out and certainly not being eliminated. The 5 to 4 ratio you mentioned, is pretty much the same thing in '44 and '45 both.

Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI