Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom Update!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom Update! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 6:55:42 PM   
ABridgeTooFar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

We have to write a readme file documenting all these changes?!? Oh, hell, you just delayed the patch another three weeks...

That is a cruel joke....

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 31
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 6:56:55 PM   
Andy Mac

Only one question when will it be ready.......

(in reply to ABridgeTooFar)
Post #: 32
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/17/2007 4:55:12 AM   
Dasara II

Considering that the existing 'Standard Scenario' starts November 1861, I am wondering if the new 'Southern Steel (Nov 1861)' scenario is an enhanced version of the existing 'Standard' scenario?

Will there still be a 'Standard' scenario or will it be replaced by 'Southern Steel'?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 33
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/17/2007 6:29:35 AM   
Gil R.

We'll keep the old standard scenario, and add the new one, which also begins in November. We also plan to add more scenarios in the future, but for now are devoting our energies to programming features rather than scenarios.

(in reply to Dasara II)
Post #: 34
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/18/2007 2:55:53 AM   
Gil R.

And another screenshot, now that the artwork is done: a new "Overview" screen that lists every battle and provides casualty figures. (Note: This screen includes avoided battles and battles from which one retreated without fighting, which explains the zero casualties battles.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 2/18/2007 3:09:43 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 35
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/18/2007 3:52:43 AM   
Hard Sarge

Ohhhh, those 2 DV for the Union gots to hurt

looks like the worm has turned

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 36
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/18/2007 9:39:35 AM   
christof139

Great report screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still need to get new bifocals though, and quick!!

Chris

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 37
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/18/2007 1:11:45 PM   
Greyhunterlp

One question I have is now that casualties are being tracked a lot more carfully (which I think is great btw) is there going to be a total casulaties screen? or a section on the graph that runs total casualties rather than casulties per turn? that way we could compare our losses to the real war. (although the numbers lots ot disease would have to be added seperatly I guess.)

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 38
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/18/2007 1:18:14 PM   
Dasara II

Now that's what I am talking about, this is looking better each day.

I love stats, so the more of this type of enhancement the better. You can put a lot of time into a single game and it is always good to see the history/stats that got you to where you are.

The bulk of the fighting is in the in the west and West Virginia. This is generally what happens in my games also, the big battles between AoP and ANV around Richmond are a rare event in the first two years.

I have been playing on 'sergeant' maybe that has something to with the small amount of activity in the east.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 39
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/18/2007 3:26:33 PM   
Ironclad

These new screens are really good stuff. It does lead me to conclude however that my request for an option to limit information about the other sides exact casualties (as well as details on enemy units and unit types) is probably going to be impracticable. I have mixed feelings because I want detailed stats whilst also liking anything that helps to replicate the FOW (before and after battle) faced by Civil War commanders.

(in reply to Dasara II)
Post #: 40
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/18/2007 9:35:40 PM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

Chris

Yes, the lettering is kinda faint. Should be brighter.

Post #: 41
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 1:42:34 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter

One question I have is now that casualties are being tracked a lot more carfully (which I think is great btw) is there going to be a total casulaties screen? or a section on the graph that runs total casualties rather than casulties per turn? that way we could compare our losses to the real war. (although the numbers lots ot disease would have to be added seperatly I guess.)

Yes, there will be final statistics as well.

Ironclad, for now we have to do it this way. Once the patch is out and the dust has settled, we'll of course consider further changes. But right now, we're trying to avoid extra programming that would delay the patch.

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 42
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 2:08:47 AM   
Ironclad

Thanks Gil. I agree its much better to get the patch out asap and look other possibilities later.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 43
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 5:16:00 AM   
christof139

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

Chris quote:

Yes, the lettering is kinda faint. Should be brighter.

Likea dis, or dis dat here??

Chris

< Message edited by christof139 -- 2/19/2007 5:29:24 AM >

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 44
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 12:24:06 PM   
Dasara II

A pitty you could not have the national flag icon of who won in the 'Victor' column, it would be much easier to see who won "at a glance".

It would also add some colour (Australian spelling) to a fairly dull screen.

Great to see this type of enhancement in a patch though, keep up the good work

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 45
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 1:26:38 PM   
christof139

'Colour', the British English spelling adapted back when, when the British English became 'Frenchified', but before that time it was spelt as 'color' in the proper Anglo-Saxon I do believe. Hence, USA spelling of English is more original and correct than the present British English version, and a Language Prof. from Britain explained this to me some years back. Interesting.

Cheers 'n Beers, Cheerios, Ciao, and Rip, Tip, Tally Ho!!! (the motto of a US Army Airboren supply and support type unit in my old Division believe it or not)

(in reply to Dasara II)
Post #: 46
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 3:03:33 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition:

"The OE. word was híw, hue. Colour, corresponding to the late AFr., has been the normal spelling in Eng. from 14th c.; but color has been used occasionally, chiefly under L. influence, from 15th c., and is now the prevalent spelling in U.S."

OE. = Old English
AFr. = Anglo-French
Eng. = England
c. = century
L. = Latin

< Message edited by Jonathan Palfrey -- 2/19/2007 3:23:40 PM >

(in reply to Dasara II)
Post #: 47
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 3:30:19 PM   
christof139

quote:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition:

"The OE. word was híw, hue. Colour, corresponding to the late AFr., has been the normal spelling in Eng. from 14th c.; but color has been used occasionally, chiefly under L. influence, from 15th c., and is now the prevalent spelling in U.S."

OE. = Old English
AFr. = Anglo-French
Eng. = England
c. = century
L. = Latin

13th Century = Normans = Frenchified Northmen.

Try previous to that, in Anglo-Saxon/Germanic and Celtic England. Latin was introduced to England long before the 13th century. French came about with the dastardly Norman Conquest.

Prof. JRR Tolkien didn't like the Normans either, he was an Anglo-Saxaon stalwart, and decried the Conquest, along with many of his friends and aquaintances.

So, I guess the British English Prof. is correct in his analysis, as I mentioned.

Chris

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 48
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 3:35:00 PM   
christof139

I think I will go ride my palfrey now, another french word that was adapted in England i do believe, came in with the Frenchified Normans.

Chris

Post #: 49
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/19/2007 4:04:09 PM   
Dasara II

I still think that these stats screens need a little more COLOUR

Post #: 50
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/20/2007 10:20:10 AM   
christof139

quote:

I still think that these stats screens need a little more COLOUR

Ha ha ha!! Yup!!

I knowe.

Chris Hogdson (means 'Strong Spear' more or less in very OE Anglo-Saxon, but is not actually my surname, but I likes it I does)

(in reply to Dasara II)
Post #: 51
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/20/2007 2:42:34 PM   
Alan_Bernardo

quote:

Prof. JRR Tolkien didn't like the Normans either, he was an Anglo-Saxaon stalwart, and decried the Conquest, along with many of his friends and aquaintances.

Are you saying that Tolkien didn't care for his friends? That's how it reads.

"Tolkien was an Anglo-Saxon stallwart. Like many of his friends, he too decried the conquest."

Try that. That word "decried" is on my top ten most hated words list. It's right below the word "iteration." :)

But anyhow, I didn't think that you meant Tolkien did not like his friends, so I tried to set the record straight.

Alan

Post #: 52
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/20/2007 4:14:49 PM   
christof139

quote:

Are you saying that Tolkien didn't care for his friends? That's how it reads.

"Tolkien was an Anglo-Saxon stallwart. Like many of his friends, he too decried the conquest."

Try that. That word "decried" is on my top ten most hated words list. It's right below the word "iteration." :)

But anyhow, I didn't think that you meant Tolkien did not like his friends, so I tried to set the record straight.

Alan

Oh, sorry, yes it can be interpreted as you say, but also in the way I meant, reiterating, that is that his friends also didn't like or decried the Norman Conquest.

I could have been perhaps a bit clearer in stating this as such: 'JRR Tolkien didn't like the Normans either, he was an Anglo-Saxaon stalwart, and decried the Conquest, *as did* many of his friends and aquaintances.'

Or, simply moved the phrase '...along with many of his friends and aquaintances.' to compose the sentence thusly: 'JRR Tolkien, along with many of his friends and aquaintances, didn't like the Normans, he was an Anglo-Saxaon stalwart, and decried the Conquest.'

See, it's all a matter of interpretation.

Chris

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 53
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/20/2007 11:27:43 PM   
spruce

very nice battle history screen !

question = I'm getting the feeling that combat results are more times "tied" or "matched" compared to the past (more realistic combat casualty results). Is this the result of detailed combar - or quick combat or instant battles ?

Post #: 54
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/21/2007 12:53:39 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

question = I'm getting the feeling that combat results are more times "tied" or "matched" compared to the past (more realistic combat casualty results). Is this the result of detailed combar - or quick combat or instant battles ?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but can tell you that most (if not all) of those battles were QC. When I test the game I'm more interested in the strategic game, so I use QC. Hard Sarge has the testing abilities of ten men when it comes to detailed battle, so I only fight those when the whim strikes me.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 55
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/21/2007 1:58:18 AM   
spruce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but can tell you that most (if not all) of those battles were QC. When I test the game I'm more interested in the strategic game, so I use QC. Hard Sarge has the testing abilities of ten men when it comes to detailed battle, so I only fight those when the whim strikes me.

so these are result from QC - very nice ! Seems better result compared to the past - did you tune this QC ?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 56
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/21/2007 1:59:53 AM   
Gil R.

There've definitely been tweaks to QC results, but I can't remember what those are. Eric would know, so if he's not too busy programming he might wander by this thread and illuminate us all (hint, hint).

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 57
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/21/2007 2:58:13 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, QC has been tweaked several times to produce more realistic results and also to be closer to detailed combat in the results you can expect in terms of attack vs. defense.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 58
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/21/2007 3:01:20 AM   
tiredoftryingnames

With some exceptions it still follows the trend of being the victor means you suffer less casualities. During the ACW that wasn't the case so much as if you were the defender. Many times the attacker won, but suffered more casualities to push the defender from the field. I know pursuit can drastically change the total figures and if the defender if routed and pursued they should suffer. But I'd like to see more battles depending on terrain where the attacker (especially with bad leadership) suffers heavily to win even if they possess the larger force. Tied to that I'd like to see quality troops with great leaders win occasionally even if outnumbered 2-1 if the larger force has bad leaders. Bad leaders tended to feed divisions in piecemeal and threw away their numerical advantage. The QC engine seems to always fight max against max when it would be a nice addition to see something like a mismanagement modifer where the attacker may not always use all it's forces when it has a bad leader. They could just start in the routed box like when reinforcements are called in.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 59
RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/21/2007 4:06:41 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

Bad leaders tended to feed divisions in piecemeal and threw away their numerical advantage. The QC engine seems to always fight max against max when it would be a nice addition to see something like a mismanagement modifer where the attacker may not always use all it's forces when it has a bad leader. They could just start in the routed box like when reinforcements are called in.

Yes, it would be good if one of the leaders' traits, maybe command, affected what percentage of a general's force was engaged.

(in reply to tiredoftryingnames)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom Update! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI