Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ETA on the Patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: ETA on the Patch Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 4:59:48 AM   
Erik Rutins

We realize it's taken longer than you all expected, but realize the time is not being diddled away. You are all getting alot more than you ever expected from a patch, I'm quite sure about that. This is effectively a major upgrade, some extra development time to a game that was already finished. It incorporates user feedback, fixes bugs and also adds a bunch of new stuff that the developers were hoping to do. We'll get an updated list of changes posted for you later this week. I also expect there will be a sneak peek coming very soon.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 31
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 5:00:47 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I have been playing it some today. I do like some of the changes they made. Much smoother interface.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Wahoo

It's ok. Some problems with history like basically the new world is completely colonized by 1520. But then you don't get always the historic leaders which is great, adds some unpredictability to the game.  It needs some patching but very playable. I'm going to try and create the Mugal Empire myself.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 32
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 7:21:44 AM   
Gideon Stargrave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We realize it's taken longer than you all expected, but realize the time is not being diddled away. You are all getting alot more than you ever expected from a patch, I'm quite sure about that. This is effectively a major upgrade, some extra development time to a game that was already finished. It incorporates user feedback, fixes bugs and also adds a bunch of new stuff that the developers were hoping to do. We'll get an updated list of changes posted for you later this week. I also expect there will be a sneak peek coming very soon.

A sneak peek coming very soon? What is this, a patch for a completed game, or the Guns of August?

Couldn't they have fixed the game-killing bugs in one patch, and then added the gadgets and whistles later, rather than leaving customers with a broken program (and let's be honest, this program is far from finished) for an indefinite period of time? A lot of the changes I've seen so far--the flag nonsense, for instance, seem superfluous.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 33
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 6:15:40 PM   
ABridgeTooFar

I kind've disagreewith Mr.Jackson.  I think the game feels quite finished and the patch will only make it better.  As for the flag nonsense, I love the flags and spend a good bit of time "organizing" my armies with flags.

(in reply to Gideon Stargrave)
Post #: 34
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 6:29:10 PM   
ravinhood

or both.

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 35
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/13/2007 11:02:00 PM   
Wahoo

Agreed. And I love the flags I think it's a great addition just wish the confederates had more.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 36
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/14/2007 12:10:19 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryan Jackson
Couldn't they have fixed the game-killing bugs in one patch, and then added the gadgets and whistles later, rather than leaving customers with a broken program (and let's be honest, this program is far from finished) for an indefinite period of time? A lot of the changes I've seen so far--the flag nonsense, for instance, seem superfluous.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I think the game is very well polished and completed. I don't know about the game-killing bugs you speak of, as I haven't seen any as yet.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this one. And I know nothing about the American Civil War except it was fought by the Union and the CSA...but maybe that's why I'm enjoying it so much. I can understand if it's not historically accurate, people who know about the ACW may get a bit peeved by it, but as a game, it's excellent.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Gideon Stargrave)
Post #: 37
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/14/2007 9:14:17 AM   
christof139

The Flags for both sides aregood.

What is lacking is Lee's HQ flag for the ANV, on which flag the stars were I believe arranged in an 'A' type pattern, and also the ANV Engineer corps Flag. The AoT also had some HQ Flags from different time periods.

A generic Union and Confed. Enigineer flag would also be good, as every army on both sides had a chief engineer and troops detailed to act as engineers.

Also JEB Stuart's flag would be nice to see, and Custer's HQ flag for his Michigan 'Wolverine' Cav. Bde.

I haven't really looked through the Union flags for a long time, but more State flags for both North and South are nice to have, and the game already had many.

Just more info. and historical flavor.

Chris

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 38
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/14/2007 8:01:12 PM   
Gil R.

I don't deal with flags at all, but I know that Pixelpusher (= graphics artists) has previously said on this forum that if anyone can supply him with missing flags he'd be grateful. So if you know where to find those flags, please post the links and we'll implement them.

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 39
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/15/2007 2:37:43 AM   
christof139

quote:

I don't deal with flags at all, but I know that Pixelpusher (= graphics artists) has previously said on this forum that if anyone can supply him with missing flags he'd be grateful. So if you know where to find those flags, please post the links and we'll implement them.

Yes, I remember that thread with Erik, you, and the PixelPusher. Unfortunately, I have the books but only an old scanner, Ein3.1 and Win95 era that is not hooked-up to my winXP system, nor any other system for that matter. It is no good now, and was a cheap piece of do-do to begin with.

All i can do is look on the inet, and I already gave a link to Indiana Staete Military flags in that other thread.

To find State and unit flags all one has to do is type in for example 'State of Illinois Civil War Flags' or '35th Illinois Regimental (or regiment's or regiment) Flag' in a search engine and much info. will be found.

I would definitely upload some scans of flags from my books if I could, but I can't. So, I have to get them off the inet. There are some wargames' flags that are free and mightable to be used free commercially, and I believe some of those flags I am talking about are on those sheets.

Chris

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 40
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/15/2007 5:08:59 AM   
pixelpusher

There is a thread called The Flags of Our Great Great grandfathers', or something like that. It describes what I need to make a decent looking flag in FoF. Just post any images there.

(I tried to find the thread for you, but for some reason I can only get the most recent 3 pages of forum threads, when there are ALOT more than that.)

Post #: 41
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/15/2007 5:26:57 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Those flags would be nice. Flags give a better historical flavor to the game.
quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

The Flags for both sides aregood.

What is lacking is Lee's HQ flag for the ANV, on which flag the stars were I believe arranged in an 'A' type pattern, and also the ANV Engineer corps Flag. The AoT also had some HQ Flags from different time periods.

A generic Union and Confed. Enigineer flag would also be good, as every army on both sides had a chief engineer and troops detailed to act as engineers.

Also JEB Stuart's flag would be nice to see, and Custer's HQ flag for his Michigan 'Wolverine' Cav. Bde.

I haven't really looked through the Union flags for a long time, but more State flags for both North and South are nice to have, and the game already had many.

Just more info. and historical flavor.

Chris

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 42
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/15/2007 6:01:17 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pixelpusher

(I tried to find the thread for you, but for some reason I can only get the most recent 3 pages of forum threads, when there are ALOT more than that.)

Just look in for the pull-tab that lets you see posts that are more than 30 days old. It doesn't jump out at you, but it's there.

(in reply to pixelpusher)
Post #: 43
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/15/2007 9:00:56 PM   
wzh55

Found a site with several flags shown for various brigades , divisions, and armies of confederancy. Might or might not help, just though I would mention it to get my name in the papers.

http://www.csaflags.com/index.html

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 44
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 3:40:45 AM   
jack616

is there an actual end date for the patch to be released? since old saves aren't compatible with the patched game....theres not much motivation to start a new game. I know you guys have been working, but it seems as if the patch has been in production for over a month....

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 45
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 3:55:08 AM   
Gil R.

That's because we have been working on it for over a month...

I'm hoping to be able to say something more concrete about its release in the coming days. We need to playtest some specific things to make sure they're working properly and don't need further (re)programming.

(in reply to jack616)
Post #: 46
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 2:33:51 PM   
ratters72

hey Gil, thats a thrill.  Me and the Jacks just want wanted the facts. He*s cool, just a bit of drool that*s the detail that he*d paid retail and was eager to retriever the forge of freedom, cus he*s a need *em. 

*My apostrophe button doesnt work.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 47
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 3:14:40 PM   
christof139

quote:

Found a site with several flags shown for various brigades , divisions, and armies of confederancy. Might or might not help, just though I would mention it to get my name in the papers.

Bill Hawthorne

Hi Bill,

Nice site. It does have Lee's ANV flag with the stars in the shape of a rounded 'A'. A little cutting and trimming of the photo, and some quick photoshop pixel work, and we have our ANV HQ flag.

Also, i am going to look for this wargamer's site that has free flags, and there are weathered and wind blown flags and standard 2-D ones. they are vry nice. i have to look for the site on one of my saved CD's. I'll post it here for others including the PixelPusher.

i have done a lot of pixel work with the old TalonSoft battleground games, both napoleonic and ACW, and with all the mods others did, plus what I did, have some unique unit icons that show up in the bottom control panel of those games. I still get my jollies modding and playing the old TS ACW games etc. Murfreesboro is a current project, but I put it on hold to play FoF, and also I have been doing major compooter rebuilds etc. I do the OOB's too, and break Arty. batteries up into sections and even individual guns if they are composed of diferent guns, not always though. i had both sides done for Antietam, and my compooter went cuckoo, so I have some saved and some not. Antietam has a very wide variety of guns used!!! very interesting and fun to do, except when you lose your work.

Chris

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 48
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 5:12:57 PM   
Wahoo

Holy smokes did you read that guys website introduction? He's a teacher? He's a freakin racists.  Geez...I try give southerners the benefit of the doubt but then knuckle heads like this guy keep showing up...

Post #: 49
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 5:30:16 PM   
christof139

quote:

Holy smokes did you read that guys website introduction? He's a teacher? He's a freakin racists. Geez...I try give southerners the benefit of the doubt but then knuckle heads like this guy keep showing up...

No, just looked at the flags, didn't read anything else as I did not have my screen maximized. I didn't go there to view anything except the flags anyway, so I could care less about anything else.

I have to find that free wargames' flag site, it has a great variety, but the game and maybe it was jim's flag mod have most of the important and not so important flags anyway already, except for just a few as mentioned, such as Lee's ANV flag and the Engineer HQ flag of the ANV etc.

Chris

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 50
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 7:17:31 PM   
Zakouski

This is what appears on the homepage :

quote:

At a reenactment of the battle of Butler, Missouri, troops carry the Missouri battleflag (a replica made by CSA Flags), which prominently reflects the Christian sympathies of the Confederate army. Among other things, the war was a clash of world views, the North holding the ideals of the Enlightenment (or better, the "Endarkenment") and the South maintaining the virtues and ideals of Christendom.
MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT!

Sorry, but this is a definitive no-go for me.

< Message edited by Zakouski -- 2/16/2007 7:31:31 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 10:52:17 PM   
Curious

This guy is definitely pro-Confederacy and anti-Union. He's still fighting the Civil War which happened 142 years ago. Talk about living in the past. But I didn't see anything on his website that struck me as being blatantly racist (and I think that I know racism when I see it). So, unless you directly equate being pro-Confederacy (and anti-Union) with being racist I didn't see anything especially offensive on this guy's website.

CB

p.s. This post is in reply to Wahoo, who was replying to christof139. It is not a reply to christof139 as stated below.

< Message edited by Curious -- 2/16/2007 11:09:00 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/16/2007 11:36:21 PM   
Wahoo

Read his introduction: the North holding the ideals of the Enlightenment (or better, the "Endarkenment") and the South maintaining the virtues and ideals of Christendom.
MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT!

Really? if you can't see it....well on goes the struggle. Or maybe it's to subtle or Nuanced(sp)

Theres nothing wrong with upholding states rights, I agree with the Confederate cause but stop at slavery.  I do not fault them for failing to understand at that time that slavery is wrong and believing it (ending slavery) is an attack on their (southern) culture. I think it is truly American to stand up for what you believe in against all odds and that is why I pay reapects to the Confederacy and understand Southern pride.  But for one (everyone on the planet) who would support Jim Crow, applaud Slavery, degrade fighting against such things (though the Union really wasn't... it happen on accident) then you are uncivilized and racist..accept it.

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 53
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/17/2007 1:52:42 AM   
wzh55

I agree that this fellow might be racist, but that doesn't mean the flags on his website or associated links are unuseable by us. If you follow that line of thought to its completion, anyone who desires to re-enact the Civil War from the Rebel side by any method (including ACW games) leans towards being a racist. After all, the Confederates fought to maintain their way of life, namely that of keeping slaves. In other words, this is a just a historical game, don't let present day politics ruin a good game.

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 54
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/17/2007 1:59:48 AM   
Wahoo

Agreed

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 55
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/17/2007 2:01:26 AM   
christof139

quote:

Sorry, but this is a definitive no-go for me.

Yes, it is a bit warped. So, don't go there, but don't make a big and stupid deal about it because there are all sorts of people of every race, nationality, and denomination in our little world that are a bit screwy. Nothing new there.

Chris

(in reply to Zakouski)
Post #: 56
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/17/2007 2:04:14 AM   
christof139

quote:

I agree that this fellow might be racist, but that doesn't mean the flags on his website or associated links are unuseable by us. If you follow that line of thought to its completion, anyone who desires to re-enact the Civil War from the Rebel side by any method (including ACW games) leans towards being a racist. After all, the Confederates fought to maintain their way of life, namely that of keeping slaves. In other words, this is a just a historical game, don't let present day politics ruin a good game.

Bill Hawthorne

I think some people are going overboard simply because they have not anything better to do. This is nothing new, and exists across the entire spectrum of our human race.

I have to find that site with free wargaming flags, as it does have the flags I am talking about, I think so anyway if I remember rightly. They are nice flags.

Chris

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 57
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/17/2007 6:49:54 AM   
Curious

I can perceive nuances and subtleties as well as anyone (including you). You don't have any special "gift" that allows you to see things that the rest of us are blind to. I said that there isn't anything blatantly racist on that website. If you consider anything which has even the slightest connection to the Confederacy as being racist then I would have to conclude that you are being slightly paranoid. I don't think that you'll find anyone here who supports Jim Crow, applauds slavery, or degrades anyone who fights against these things. If you want to consider the guy to whom the website in question belongs to be a racist, go ahead, knock yourself out. Just don't get all santimonious on us like you're the only "true believer".

CB

p.s. This is a reply to Wahoo, in case there's any doubt.

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 58
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/17/2007 7:00:15 AM   
christof139

quote:

I can perceive nuances and subtleties as well as anyone (including you). You don't have any special "gift" that allows you to see things that the rest of us are blind to. I said that there isn't anything blatantly racist on that website. If you consider anything which has even the slightest connection to the Confederacy as being racist then I would have to conclude that you are being slightly paranoid. I don't think that you'll find anyone here who supports Jim Crow, applauds slavery, or degrades anyone who fights against these things. If you want to consider the guy to whom the website in question belongs to be a racist, go ahead, knock yourself out. Just don't get all santimonious on us like you're the only "true believer".

CB

p.s. This is a reply to Wahoo, in case there's any doubt.

Well put!!! Sanctimonious is a very good word to use in the context of how you use it.

I think Yahoo Wahoo et al are just cruising for an argument, trolling.

BTW, I have a description of Jackson's Corps moving through a town in Maryland, and I got this from the 35th or 37th Texas Cav. website. This account is written by a Maryland Abolitionist and he is astounded at the large number of armed and uniformed Southern African-Americans that wee an integral part of Jackson's Corps and the rest of the Confederate forces. I can post it here, as it is very eye-opening and descriptive. The Marylander also describes Jackson's Corps as 'the Rebel horde' or something like that, a bit humorous actually IMHO, and I am a Yankee from Detroit.

Much was covered-up after the war, and the Carpetbaggers didn't help any but made matters much more worse than they already were.

Chris

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 59
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/17/2007 7:01:54 AM   
christof139

***"Wednesday, September 10: At 4 o'clock this morning the Rebel army began to move from our town, Jackson's force taking the advance. The movement continued until 8 o'clock P.M., occupying 16 hours. The most liberal calculation could not give them more than 64,000 men. Over 3,000 Negroes must be included in the number. . . . They had arms, rifles, muskets, sabers, bowie-knives, dirks, etc. They were supplied, in many instances, with knapsacks, haversacks, canteens, etc., and they were manifestly an integral portion of the Southern Confederacy army. They were seen riding on horses and mules, driving wagons, riding on caissons, in ambulances, with the staff of generals and promiscuously mixed up with all the Rebel horde."

I should find the full account, it is interesting.  Chris

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: ETA on the Patch Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI