Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

what would be your choice of small arms 39-45

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> what would be your choice of small arms 39-45 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what would be your choice of small arms 39-45 - 8/20/2000 12:44:00 PM   
crazyivan

what would you arm your self with in a battle? small arms meaning smg,pistol and rifle. 1.lee enfield 303 would be my prefered rifle there are many good rifles that macth this and some would say even better .it is still in use today even as a combat weapon by the poorer states or countries and is one of the most widly used rifles in world war 2 .it has good acuracy and is one of the fastest bolt actions to use(a good rifleman can get of ten rounds in just as many secounds).it can hold ten rounds and has a speed load clip like the yanks without having to take the mag of.the later modle mk4 was siad to be outstanding sniper rifle due to its stoping power. my smg would be the ppsh-41 high rate of fire and a good round holding capacity macthed with a robust almost unbreakable design after all 5million of them were made leads this to be a devastating weapon at close combat.many germans would give there right arm for one on the front. my pistol would be a colt 45 robust and also resonable stoping power. i know most of us would rather be in a afv or simaler than on the end of a small fire arm but beggers can't be chosers have fun

"The best form of defence,is attack"
Post #: 1
- 8/20/2000 1:42:00 PM   
Desert Fox

Well, I think the lessons learned from WW2 show that a bolt action rifle is of limited usefulness. While more accurate at range, they are too slow to operate in a close range fire fight. Because of this, I would have to say that I would probably take the sturmgeschutz 44 as my rifle. Either that or the M1 Garand. Both were excellent weapons that in the end were more versatile than bolt action rifles. For submachine gun, well these became relatively obsolete with the advent of assault rifles like the sturmgeschutz 44, so give me a sturm here. Pistol-wise, I have to agree with you. The Colt .45 is the best pistol ever invented.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 2
- 8/20/2000 11:15:00 PM   
Mjuice

Don't you mean sturmgewehr, Desert Fox ? :-)

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 3
- 8/21/2000 12:28:00 AM   
Hauptmann6

For a Rifle, I would have to go with the M1. for a Sub I would go with the MP44 And hangun would be the M1911A1 and of couse a lot of ammo!!! Haupt

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 4
- 8/21/2000 1:54:00 AM   
orc4hire

For rifle I'd have to take the StG 44 (talk about standing the test of time; its Russian variant is known as the AK 47, and has achieved what some might call a modest popularity and success right down to the present day)). Submachine gun, I'd have to go with the MP 43. (That's a joke, son.) Pistol, I'd have to take an FN HP35.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 5
- 8/21/2000 2:54:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... I would prefer the bolt action Winchester .458, with a 30x zoom scope, flash suppressor and bipod. Makes a good sniper rifle or elephant gun. The Solothurn ATR is also nice against troops. Only need to shoot them once. I have never like sub-machine pistols, but suppose the Thompson is the best of the lot. For a pistol, I like the .25 caliber Beretta with skeletal handle. Bye... Michael Wood [This message has been edited by Mike Wood (edited August 20, 2000).]

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 6
- 8/21/2000 11:10:00 PM   
Grumble

Rifle: StG 44. Does everything a rifle and SMG can do. SMG: Don't need one. See above. Pistol: Either Browning Hi-Power or M1911A1. Sure the M1911A1 has more hitting power, but you gotta love the magazine capacity of the Browning. (One of the reasons it was the standard pistol for the Royal Marine Commandos).

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 7
- 8/22/2000 12:53:00 PM   
Desert Fox

quote:

Originally posted by Mjuice: Don't you mean sturmgewehr, Desert Fox ? :-)
I don't know, my high school never offered German. I was forced to take French instead. Not that it matters, I can't speak French anymore anyways. I speak English pretty well. Or is that pretty good? Nevermind.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 8
- 8/24/2000 9:02:00 AM   
Kev

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Wood: I have never like sub-machine pistols, but suppose the Thompson is the best of the lot. [This message has been edited by Mike Wood (edited August 20, 2000).]
The Thompsdon was one of the worst of the lot, complex, heavy, expensive and not very reliable. I'd go with the Owen gun on the SMG front.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 9
- 8/26/2000 6:10:00 AM   
troopie

Rifle: I'm going with the Garand. It's robust, easy to manufacture, has a good rate of fire for a semi-auto and fairly accurate for a service rifle. IT has three problems, one: You load eight rounds or none, and the charger makes a loud click when you slide it home. It's also heavier than I like. The StG44 may be the urpapa of all assault rifles, well made and that, but I feel it might be too hard to control on full auto. I've never fired one, but I have fired a 7.62 FAL on full auto, and it was quite a handful. I'll go with the Garand. SMG. I'll take the PpSh. Tommyguns are too heavy and hard to make. Stens are pieces of buffelkak. PPSh are reliable, and have lots of fire capacity. Papashas are still in use around the world. Pistol: Give me the 1911 Government Colt .45. Made to stop a Moro crazed on dagga, it will stop a Jugend crazed on Hitler. SAW. Take the Bren gun. I once fired a twenty year old one. Handled sweetly, likd new. Best lmg ever made. I understand the Brits were thinking of dropping that complicated LSW and going back to it. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 10
- 8/26/2000 7:17:00 AM   
Tombstone

The Sturmgewehr does not obviate the need for a SMG. An assault rifle does not do everything that a SMG does better. The SMG is preferrable in cqb. Smaller calibre bullets can be asset sometimes. I like BAR, ppsh, lugers and M1911A1's. Tomo

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 11
- 8/26/2000 4:12:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by troopie: SAW. Take the Bren gun. I once fired a twenty year old one. Handled sweetly, likd new. Best lmg ever made. I understand the Brits were thinking of dropping that complicated LSW and going back to it. troopie
I have got to disagree with you on that one *G* The MG42 is, in my humble opinion, way batter than any LMG ever made. Fireing one is absolutely awsome. Possibly even more than a .50! Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 12
- 8/26/2000 10:01:00 PM   
Dave R

The only gun that I'd ask for is a Colt .45 revolver. You know the one. The one that the old cowboys used in the films. Never ran out of ammo and deadly accurate upto about 2,000 yards!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 13
- 8/27/2000 8:26:00 AM   
Kev

quote:

Originally posted by troopie: SAW. Take the Bren gun. I once fired a twenty year old one. Handled sweetly, likd new. Best lmg ever made. I understand the Brits were thinking of dropping that complicated LSW and going back to it.
The Bren has an accuracy problem - it is too accurate, in an MG you want it to spray - BTW the Aust army was using 7.62mm Brens as second line MGs into the 90's (and may still be).

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 14
- 8/27/2000 10:33:00 PM   
steel

I take Suomi-submachine gun. It is very dirty proof , small and light. Firepower is good.Even WW2 Russians and other countries take example Suomi-submacine gun. It is so reliable, never let you done in combat situation.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 15
- 8/27/2000 10:41:00 PM   
sven

Except it is not an lmg. It is a GPMG.
quote:

Originally posted by Lars Remmen: I have got to disagree with you on that one *G* The MG42 is, in my humble opinion, way batter than any LMG ever made. Fireing one is absolutely awsome. Possibly even more than a .50! Lars
------------------ Give all you can all you can give....

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 16
- 8/28/2000 1:23:00 AM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by sven: Except it is not an lmg. It is a GPMG.
Yes. GPMG means it has several configurations. LMG with a bipod, MMG or HMG with a tripod, used as a CMG in AFV's in special mountings and as an AAMG. Could be used in aircraft as well just as the MG34. The version I fired was the LMG. Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 17
- 8/29/2000 12:34:00 AM   
Seth

Ummm... I'd take a Nambu pistol and any rifle. I'd throw the Nambu at my foe, and when he blew his hand off trying to shoot me with it, I'd walk up and brain him with the rifle. Seriously, I'd take the P38 or Radom as a pistol, as both are excellently engineered and don't have the vicious kick of the M1911. As a rifle, I'd go with the StG 44, hands down. If I had to take a rifle that looked like a rifle, maybe a Garand or a Tokarev. For an SMG, I'd probably take the Beretta, since I've heard a lot of good things about it, if not, probably a Suomi. LMG would have to be the MG 42. I'm intrigued by the Japanese LMG's with bayonets, but I doubt they're all that good.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 18
- 5/5/2001 1:54:00 PM   
Ken999

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Fox: Well, I think the lessons learned from WW2 show that a bolt action rifle is of limited usefulness. While more accurate at range, they are too slow to operate in a close range fire fight. Because of this, I would have to say that I would probably take the sturmgeschutz 44 as my rifle. Either that or the M1 Garand. Both were excellent weapons that in the end were more versatile than bolt action rifles. For submachine gun, well these became relatively obsolete with the advent of assault rifles like the sturmgeschutz 44, so give me a sturm here. Pistol-wise, I have to agree with you. The Colt .45 is the best pistol ever invented.
The STG 44 was a fine weapon and a revolutionary design, but have you ever seen or held an STG 44? they are quite large weapons and I certainly wouldn't want to be using one if I was entering a house or other tight confining urban combat area!The ppsh-41,thompson and mp 40,were superior for these environments because of their relatively small size and ease of handling.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 19
- 5/5/2001 2:58:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

I wouid take Suomi-submacine gun, the rate of fire is astonishing. I would not feel me safe if my enemy had the same gun. :D me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: the enemy, you know ho.

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 20
- 5/5/2001 3:14:00 PM   
Cirrus

Riffle: KIV 39 SMG: Suomi SMG "If you absolutely positively have to kill every motherfucker on the field, accept no substitute" :D Pistol: Gimme COLT [ May 05, 2001: Message edited by: Cirrus ]

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 21
- 5/5/2001 5:45:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hello. Rifle: Stg44 or M1 Garand, depending if you want a "rifle look". SMG: the Ppsh or the Thompson. Readed wonderfuls things about them. Pistol: Luger Saludos. :D

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 22
- 5/5/2001 6:13:00 PM   
choco

I would rather take a good 75mm mdle 1897 and kisk off your asses from there ;) Seriously as a Rifle i would take the Mas 36, maybe cause its a weapon i handled, as SMG the Polish wz.39 Mors which was very good but only two survived september 39 (others were destroyed by it owners in orders none end in german hands...) and as pistol the old good luger (unimitable design...) :D :D Chocal

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 23
- 5/5/2001 6:29:00 PM   
skukko

suomi late bazooka satchels food mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 24
- 5/5/2001 6:50:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Well, and what small weapons were the WORST and you never will equip yourself with them? Rifle: No idea. All those slow bolt-action rifles. SMG: the "grease gun", hated by their users. Pistol: ??? LMG: Readed abot those damned Japs designs. (Model??) Thanks and saludos. :p

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 25
- 5/5/2001 9:59:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by Mikimoto: Well, and what small weapons were the WORST and you never will equip yourself with them? Rifle: No idea. All those slow bolt-action rifles. SMG: the "grease gun", hated by their users. Pistol: ??? LMG: Readed abot those damned Japs designs. (Model??) Thanks and saludos. :p
This worst LMG you are referring to, must be Model 96 LMG (6.5mm), which used oiled cartridges for easier extraction. Similar system that many Italian weapons used, they may be even worse :) And if sand gets to shake hands with all that oil... Dont however, mix this with Model 99 LMG (7.7mm), which was a much better weapon. Worst pistol of the war? Japanese (Model 94?) was one of them. [ May 05, 2001: Message edited by: Peregrine Falcon ] [ May 05, 2001: Message edited by: Peregrine Falcon ]

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 26
- 5/5/2001 10:09:00 PM   
Mark Ezra

M1 Carbine and a radio to call for arty and air strikes on the SOBs

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 27
- 5/6/2001 1:37:00 AM   
m10bob

actually,i don't think there is anything to consider but an m1 garand and the m1911a1..(won't need an smg with these two) and only a 'cruit "leg" or femmy civilian would even consider any of that stuff that had a habit of bein' "dropped" or found under a carcass........

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 28
- 5/6/2001 5:18:00 AM   
Uncle_Spider

Rifle: Johnson or 1903A3 Springfield Smg: Suomi Lmg: MG42 Pistol: Colt 1911

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 29
- 5/7/2001 9:03:00 PM   
JTGEN

As for a small weapon. Iwould go for Suomi smg. Feels great in the hand and with the reliability and firepower supreme choice. And we still had them in coastal artillery in 1995 and probably still do. I was a weapons guy so I have cleaned them but when the guys went to shoot I had to fill for a boatman on the boat that kept people away from the firing area ( in which there newer came any boats)(larger caliber weapons were also fired), so my luck. But the guys liked them a lot. P.S. Isn't ppsh like half copy of the Suomi. It certainly resembels it a lot and is of later design. Also does someone know how many Suomi's were sold to the germans.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> what would be your choice of small arms 39-45 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI