Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ETA on the Patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: ETA on the Patch Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 9:52:59 PM   
LarryP

Gil: I bet you will be the happiest person of the bunch when this patch\update is done.

PS: You buy your underwear at Victoria's too?!

< Message edited by LarryP -- 3/13/2007 9:55:16 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 241
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 9:53:34 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz

Oh no. You're not going to get away with that. We see right through your attempt to get us believing we see right through your previous attempt. By God, we see through it and, as a result, don't see through it.

So when's the patch due out

Now that AndrewKurtz has seen through me, I guess the jig is up, so I'll provide an update. A few days ago, we announced that Eric was putting up a new beta patch, and if that worked well we'd go to public beta. Sadly, while much of that patch represented an improvement, some of the code led to an unintended consequence: the AI began to take divisions out of army containers when shuffling around and not put them back. So, in a matter of a few turns, the AOP was simply three empty containers, while a bunch of divisions were sitting around in the same province. Eric knows which part of the code caused this, so he's going to fix it today and let us make sure it's working. And if that goes well, and nothing new has popped up, we'll be ready for public beta.

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 242
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 9:54:33 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Gil: I bet you will be the happiest person of the bunch when this patch\update is done.

PS: You buy your underwear at Victoria's too?!

I'm not sure, having by now forgotten what happiness is.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 243
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 9:55:44 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter

The three second attention span whiners starting to get to you Gil?

you know, you'd think they'd go an do something else to amuse themselves, you know, Like playing the game?

You mean you're allow to play other games while you wait for a patch? That changes everything.

Who said anything about other games?
and gil, i realise that, but I have a hard time realsing that sarcasm isn't the way of life for you americans as it is for us english. ;)

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 244
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 9:56:57 PM   
LarryP

Happiness is working in C++, right?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 245
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 9:57:17 PM   
MorningDew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

Oh no. You're not going to get away with that. We see right through your attempt to get us believing we see right through your previous attempt. By God, we see through it and, as a result, don't see through it.

So when's the patch due out

Now that AndrewKurtz has seen through me, I guess the jig is up, so I'll provide an update. A few days ago, we announced that Eric was putting up a new beta patch, and if that worked well we'd go to public beta. Sadly, while much of that patch represented an improvement, some of the code led to an unintended consequence: the AI began to take divisions out of army containers when shuffling around and not put them back. So, in a matter of a few turns, the AOP was simply three empty containers, while a bunch of divisions were sitting around in the same province. Eric knows which part of the code caused this, so he's going to fix it today and let us make sure it's working. And if that goes well, and nothing new has popped up, we'll be ready for public beta.

We see through that too Your trying to get us off the subject of Victoria Secrets.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 246
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 9:59:46 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter
and gil, i realise that, but I have a hard time realsing that sarcasm isn't the way of life for you americans as it is for us english. ;)

I know some pretty sarcastic Americans.

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 247
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 10:08:55 PM   
Gil R.

Just for kicks, here's a screenshot I took that shows the disassembled AOP. Note that Hancock and Sherman are both commanding empty containers -- containers that used to have all those divisions in them. The game never did this before until this most recent version of the beta patch, but it should be easily fixed. (For play-testing purposes, who have a way of peeking to see what the AI is up to. That's how I got to take this screenshot. It wasn't an espionage upgrade.)

One good thing you should note is who the 4-stars are. In this patch the AI is smarter at choosing which generals to promote.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 248
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 10:18:47 PM   
LarryP

Does the AI still give a choice to promote Generals, or does it suggest promotions?

< Message edited by LarryP -- 3/13/2007 10:19:35 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 249
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 10:19:44 PM   
MorningDew

quote:

Just for kicks, here's a screenshot I took that shows the disassembled AOP. Note that Hancock and Sherman are both commanding empty containers -- containers that used to have all those divisions in them.

Well, even I could command that corp! Sure does simplify supplying the army.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 250
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 10:41:59 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

Does the AI still give a choice to promote Generals, or does it suggest promotions?

I'm not sure what you mean. The AI does its own thing with generals, and doesn't tell you what to do with yours.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 251
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 10:55:44 PM   
Drex

I would think that for a 2 star position you would get a list of all the Brigadiers and for a 3 all the 2 stars would be listed.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 252
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/13/2007 11:30:51 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drex

I would think that for a 2 star position you would get a list of all the Brigadiers and for a 3 all the 2 stars would be listed.

We've never done it that way. But that's an interesting game option: limit both player and AI (or both players) so that the only generals who can be promoted are those at the level below. Would this be worth doing, or is it unnecessary government regulation?

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 253
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 12:29:20 AM   
Drex

If we decided to skip a level does this result in a negative political situation somewhere? Chris mentioned in another thread that during the Civil War ,generals were never promoted above one level at a time so promoting from an "eligibles" list would mimic history.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 254
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 12:30:09 AM   
MorningDew

quote:

If we decided to skip a level does this result in a negative political situation somewhere? Chris mentioned in another thread that during the Civil War ,generals were never promoted above one level at a time so promoting from an "eligibles" list would mimic history.

Makes sense to me as well.

But not this patch:)

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 255
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 12:33:05 AM   
Gil R.

Could someone post the idea in the Wish List so that we don't lose track of it, and so that further opinions can be solicited there?  Thanks.

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 256
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 12:35:47 AM   
Dasara II

quote:

quote:

We've never done it that way. But that's an interesting game option: limit both player and AI (or both players) so that the only generals who can be promoted are those at the level below. Would this be worth doing, or is it unnecessary government regulation?

A brilliant idea, most command structures are a hierarchy of promotion, this would make perfect sense and make for a more challenging management of your generals (as in real life).

I would most certainly vote for this change

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 257
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 12:45:08 AM   
LarryP

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure what you mean. The AI does its own thing with generals, and doesn't tell you what to do with yours.

Stupid question on my part as I re-read your post above and understand it now. Sometimes I am so stupid!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 258
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 1:10:40 AM   
elmerlee

Gil and Eric.

Just bought my 10th Matrix game when I purchased Max Football a couple weeks ago.

Didn't realize you were so flush with customers that you could afford to insult them. If I am not happy with a product I think I'm entitled to express my opinion.
If not on this board I guess I could make this typw comments all over the internet.
And before Marc threatens some type of liebel action again he better brush up on his law. There is no intent to harm here.

You people need to get some class before you can become anything but a small time repackager.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 259
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 1:25:40 AM   
Gil R.

His name is spelled "Erik." I'm not sure why so many people on this forum can't get that right. So, to make this clear:

Erik Rutins = major mover and shaker at Matrix
Ericbabe = programmer of "Forge of Freedom" and "Crown of Glory," not to mention primary mover and shaker at "Western Civilization Software"

I have seen them together in the same place, so I know that they're two different people.

(in reply to elmerlee)
Post #: 260
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 1:37:43 AM   
elmerlee

What is your point ???
It's obvious who I quoted.

And Ericbabe seems like an intelligent and hard working individual. As I think most developers are.

As a matter of fact I thought ERIC was a reasonably savy person until his latest childish remark.
Thats some way to sell product.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 261
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 1:39:30 AM   
christof139

quote:

His name is spelled "Erik." I'm not sure why so many people on this forum can't get that right. So, to make this clear:

Erik Rutins = major mover and shaker at Matrix
Ericbabe = programmer of "Forge of Freedom" and "Crown of Glory," not to mention primary mover and shaker at "Western Civilization Software"

I have seen them together in the same place, so I know that they're two different people.

Thanx for clarifing that. I thought Eric and Erik were the same person, even with the different monikers or handles for some reason.

I installed FoF on my new compooter system with SATA 2 and the 4GB of DDR2 667MHz, and the HW's move quickly, even with the smoke. I just got got my 36BG 16MB Cache Raptor today, and it is a Raptor, says so right on the HD label. It is new OEM in an unopened bag, so I don't think the fellow that sold it on Ebay actually knew what it was as I got it cheap at under $60. That's a new model Raptor with the 16MB Buffer Cache manufacured on 11DEC06. I hope it has not been dropped and works OK.

I will install FoF on this new Raptor and hold on to my hat and seat, as sometimes the HQ can migrate between both locations, the Headquarters and Hindquarters; verily a common occurrence amongst Human Beings etc. it seems.

Chris

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 262
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 1:49:52 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I believe there were actually some historical exceptions, with generals jumping more than one "rank" in the two week timeframe of a FOF turn. Ultimately also, there was nothing actually preventing it - Lincoln promoted generals several times over many others who were higher in seniority.

The key new change is that demoting a general gives a resignation chance and that promoting a general with random stats on can slightly re-randomize the stats, reflecting the difference in ability at different rank levels.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 263
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 1:51:51 AM   
Erik Rutins

elmerlee,

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmerlee
Just bought my 10th Matrix game when I purchased Max Football a couple weeks ago.
Didn't realize you were so flush with customers that you could afford to insult them. If I am not happy with a product I think I'm entitled to express my opinion.
If not on this board I guess I could make this typw comments all over the internet.
And before Marc threatens some type of liebel action again he better brush up on his law. There is no intent to harm here.
You people need to get some class before you can become anything but a small time repackager.

First of all, thanks for your purchases. Second, I'm sorry if you were misunderstood.

However, for months you did what is precisely described as "trolling" on the M-F forum and it looked as if you were about to begin the same here. There is no general rule at Matrix that delays patches and claiming otherwise seemed to me a classic trolling post. As I said, if I misread you, I apologize.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to elmerlee)
Post #: 264
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 2:36:33 AM   
General Quarters

Yeah, I thought it -- and some of the responses -- were pretty funny.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 265
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 3:02:02 AM   
elmerlee

Erik - Classy act.

I to apologize. Yes I did run off at MF but I also later bought the game. As I have stated on the MF forum
the game is now very much improved and getting better. David also is very interested in the questions put to him in that forum and that is a plus.

One more thing to add to the above posts. Of course Matrix does not want to see patches delayed. That is not my complaint although I have used patch delays as a reason to vent. What I do think is less than acceptable is Matrix practice of "advertising" games far in advance of a reasonable hope of publication. Further, some of these games NEVER see the light of day. I would be willing to wager, for example,  that WIF will not see a functionable release for at least two years; probably never. And yes I know others do this too but that doesn't make it right.

What the heck,I've said enough, and I'm sure I'll but FOF when the patch is issued. I've stopped buying anything untill it is patched after having 2 or 3 bad experiences.

Thanks again for your latest reply.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 266
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 4:12:45 AM   
Johnus

What exactly is "trolling"  ??   Anyone  ??

(in reply to elmerlee)
Post #: 267
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 4:18:02 AM   
Johnus

As for Erik Rutins and Ericbabe, if they would both just let us call them Bruce, there would be no confusion.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 268
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 5:02:26 AM   
Mike13z50

quote:

I'd add that public beta is essential because this game can be played at something like a dozen different difficulty settings, using something like thirty options, and with three different scenarios to choose from (Standard, July, and "historical"), not to mention the fact that there's playing the Union AI, the CSA AI, PBEM, and TCP/IP. There is simply no way for us to test all of the different ways the game can be played, but by going to public beta we greatly increase the odds of catching glitches we might never have found ourselves.

Gil,

Will the "public beta" be available for general download to everyone who wants to try it, or only certain beta testors, I assume the former but thought I'd ask.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 269
RE: ETA on the Patch - 3/14/2007 5:10:21 AM   
Gil R.

I believe it will be in the Members section, so anyone who is a member can get at it.

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: ETA on the Patch Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI