Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A few new screenshots from the update...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: A few new screenshots from the update... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 4:51:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, here's a new screenshot. This is from the info you get when you right click on a unit during quick battle setup. Notice anything new?

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hedererp)
Post #: 31
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 4:53:11 AM   
Erik Rutins

Here's one Gun upgrade screen, lots of new stuff to notice here if you look carefully...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/12/2007 5:16:24 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 32
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 5:00:06 AM   
LarryP

I don't see a picture attached?

Post #: 33
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 5:02:50 AM   
Erik Rutins

Trying again, forum seems to be having issues with the pic...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 34
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 5:19:25 AM   
Erik Rutins

Another gun upgrade screen...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 35
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 7:25:40 AM   
christof139

Hi,

Two suggestions, lower the gun cost of the improved Springfied because there were only minor differences between it and the 1861 Springfield that did not affect its accuracy. Differences were such things as a case-hardened lockplate, different barrel retaining bands or rings, etc. Really no need for an Improved Springfield, and the 1861 model was the most produced and I believe was made until the end of the war by some firms. This is all factual info. and very, very, well documented, and anyone familiar with the Springfield's would know this. I, and no doubt many others, can see any reason for making such a big deal about a rifle that had the same performance as its parent model rifle.

There was a I believe converted Hall Breechloading Carbine that was used in the early and mid war years and actually until the end of the war in the west. It was OK, and did decent service but had some firing problems I think. Many units were equipped with it, but off-hand I don't know how many were used. CSA units were glad to get them. This would be a nice and bit cheaper basic and early Carbine to have available.

I can't understand the cost system nor the upkeep values, especially the upkeep values for small arms, in that they seem to be high.

A type of Field Arty. that would be neat to see would be the cast bronze James 14lb. and 20lb. pieces. These are not the bronze 6lbs. rifled to the James pattern. Both sides used some, and I believe some were used on ships. In the West, they were used until perhaps 1864 by the CSA, while there was one CSA or Union Battery of the bronze 14lb James at Gettysburg. Just neat guns to have for a minor upgrade. One single type could be made of these 3 bronze rifles by calling it 12lb to 20lb James Rifles. These were available in Civil War Generals 2 if you remember.

I like the Whitworth Infantry rifles in the game (not the Sniper Rifles in reference her, and I like the Sniper Rifles too, and another good one was the British Kerr Sniper Rifle, of which the CSA had a very good number of), even though the CSA never got hold of a whole bunch of them, and they add great flavor to the game.

2-banded Enfields and many cut-down (barrel shortened) rifles and muskets were used by CSA Cavalry, and USA Cav. was alos equipped somewhat with these arms, particularily out west and the USA Embodied etc. Militia of Missouri's Cav. had some units equipped with rifles and muskets. The USA Missouri Militia, of which there were several types, did so much fighting and campaigning that after the war they were given full Veteran Status covering pensions and etc.

The Colt Revolving Rifle was used to a very limited degree by both sides, more prevalent with the USA of course, and is another early to mid war tidbit. Heck, only 4-5,000 were used, but sometimes they were very effective despite chain discharges of the cylinder, which wouldn't occur if the ends of each chamber were greased to stop sparks. These Colts out of necessity could also be loaded with only one shot and fired thusly.

Just from memory, but I have this info. in the other room, and it's on the inet as you know.

Nice screens.

Chris

< Message edited by christof139 -- 3/12/2007 7:47:08 AM >

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov

Post #: 36
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 9:48:51 AM   
christof139

Twiddle dee and twiddle dum, I have started to have a little fun.

I can mod the weapons file, the Gun.txt in the Data folder, and so far have only changed the statement that the Richmond Rifled Musket was the 1861 Springfield, which it wasn't, rather it was the 1855 Springfield wmade from machinery captured at harper's ferry very early in the wra. The Richmond had the Maynard Primer replaced with a percussion Nipple and a few other minor changed to make production easier and was considered to be the equal of any Sprinfield made in the North.

Machinery to make the harper's fery Rifle, a version of the Mississppi Rifle was also captured at harper's Ferry, and this machinery was eventually moved to a location in North Carolina I do believe, and used to produce these rifles until the end of the ACW. I think the caliber of these rifles produced using the Harper's Ferry machinery was eventually changed from .54 to .58 as some other locally produced versions of the Mississippi Rifle were.

Now I can also diddle with the Artillery and change 'Dahlgren Rifles' to "9 to 11-inch Dahlgren Smoothbores and assorted Rifles" and also change the description. The Dahlgren Boat Howitzers were not main guns and were carried aboard ships - usually one per ship - to repel boarders and for close in defense, whle the few various Dahlgren Rifles that were produced were of not any consequence in the overall scheme of things since they weren't mass produced.

Heh heh heh. This als means I can change the XX" Dahlgren to a 15" Dahlgren.

Further heh heh heh's, I can make the '10" Rodman New Model Columbiad' (new name too ) only available to the USA, and make the 10" Columbiad less powerful than the Rodman version and rename it "8 and 10-inch Old Model Columbiads" which both sides can use.

And, I can make the 9-inch Blakely a 7-inch Blakely.

I also would like to rearm some Forts with 12Lb and 24Lb Guns, and dispense with many of those little Coehorn Mortars.

Also, I will enjoy changing cost and supply values and damge and range values for the weapons. I may even try and add a new weapon using old graphics or attempt to add new graphics but i don't know if that can be done, but I can diddle-do around and see if so or not so.

Etc.

Guns and butter!!!!!   Hmmmm, in somecases 'Butter is Better!'.  Mmmmm, time for a snack. Pecan rolls with South Carolina grown Pecans thank you very much.

The Leader's Stat file will also be interesting to fiddle-diddle with. Perhaps I can add Capt. Nemo.

Have a good day or rebellion or midnight snack or breakfast or whatever, Infernal Chris in Eternal Yankeedom

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 37
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 12:58:30 PM   
Gresbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Note also that now, when a city cannot muster or conscript for any reason, it's show with two dashes in those boxes. This makes it exceptionally easy to manage all your production, development, impressment, mustering and conscription from this screen rather than having to go into every city.

But it would be even easier if we could see the governor's attitude (an important factor to consider when impressing / mustering / conscripting)

Post #: 38
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 2:34:02 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

Twiddle dee and twiddle dum, I have started to have a little fun.

I can mod the weapons file, the Gun.txt in the Data folder, and so far have only changed the statement that the Richmond Rifled Musket was the 1861 Springfield, which it wasn't, rather it was the 1855 Springfield wmade from machinery captured at harper's ferry very early in the wra. The Richmond had the Maynard Primer replaced with a percussion Nipple and a few other minor changed to make production easier and was considered to be the equal of any Sprinfield made in the North.

Machinery to make the harper's fery Rifle, a version of the Mississppi Rifle was also captured at harper's Ferry, and this machinery was eventually moved to a location in North Carolina I do believe, and used to produce these rifles until the end of the ACW. I think the caliber of these rifles produced using the Harper's Ferry machinery was eventually changed from .54 to .58 as some other locally produced versions of the Mississippi Rifle were.

Now I can also diddle with the Artillery and change 'Dahlgren Rifles' to "9 to 11-inch Dahlgren Smoothbores and assorted Rifles" and also change the description. The Dahlgren Boat Howitzers were not main guns and were carried aboard ships - usually one per ship - to repel boarders and for close in defense, whle the few various Dahlgren Rifles that were produced were of not any consequence in the overall scheme of things since they weren't mass produced.

Heh heh heh. This als means I can change the XX" Dahlgren to a 15" Dahlgren.

Further heh heh heh's, I can make the '10" Rodman New Model Columbiad' (new name too ) only available to the USA, and make the 10" Columbiad less powerful than the Rodman version and rename it "8 and 10-inch Old Model Columbiads" which both sides can use.

And, I can make the 9-inch Blakely a 7-inch Blakely.

I also would like to rearm some Forts with 12Lb and 24Lb Guns, and dispense with many of those little Coehorn Mortars.

Also, I will enjoy changing cost and supply values and damge and range values for the weapons. I may even try and add a new weapon using old graphics or attempt to add new graphics but i don't know if that can be done, but I can diddle-do around and see if so or not so.

Etc.

Guns and butter!!!!!   Hmmmm, in somecases 'Butter is Better!'.  Mmmmm, time for a snack. Pecan rolls with South Carolina grown Pecans thank you very much.

The Leader's Stat file will also be interesting to fiddle-diddle with. Perhaps I can add Capt. Nemo.

Have a good day or rebellion or midnight snack or breakfast or whatever, Infernal Chris in Eternal Yankeedom

we may of beating you to it, I hope you all been looking at the weapons my ANV has been useing

Post #: 39
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 3:00:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yep, Chris you'll be pleased to know that 15" Dahlgrens are in the update. Also, there seem to be more changes than you noticed vis a vis the release version and the screenshots I posted. Did you also notice that it now shows the quick combat value now listed right on the upgrade screen?

THe Hall Carbine is included in the 'Richmond Carbine' category I believe, some others are in the new 'Breechloading Carbine' category.

Decided against the Colt Revolving Rifle, just too few used.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 40
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 9:28:00 PM   
gunnergoz

Dang, I can't hardly wait for the patch to come out, all this neat new stuff will be like a new game to me. 

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

Post #: 41
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 9:57:32 PM   
sadja

Thanks for all the hard work guys can't wait

Your never Lost if you don't care where you are.

Tom Massie GPAA

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 42
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/12/2007 11:32:42 PM   
christof139

quote:

Yep, Chris you'll be pleased to know that 15" Dahlgrens are in the update. Also, there seem to be more changes than you noticed vis a vis the release version and the screenshots I posted. Did you also notice that it now shows the quick combat value now listed right on the upgrade screen?

THe Hall Carbine is included in the 'Richmond Carbine' category I believe, some others are in the new 'Breechloading Carbine' category.

Decided against the Colt Revolving Rifle, just too few used.

Oh thank you!!!

I have started doing a little modding to the weapons or Guns.txt, and when the new patch is released it will be good. However, no doubt I will change some things (see my other post about how I just started fiddling with stuff).

Yeah, the Colt Revolving Rifle was a rarity, only 4 - 5,000 used, and is not 'necessary', I just like it. Could be just considered in with the Spencers.

Yeah, the Hall's could be thrown in with another early weapon, and the Richmond Carbine was I think a poor copy of the Sharps. Maybe the Hall's would be better mixed in with the Columbus Carbine?? Doesn't really matter.

Have to look at the screen shots for the Quick Combat Value, and I know you all talked about that and someone either modded it in and/or said it was going in the upgrade patch.
I miss somethings sometimes in some places somewhere or other usually, might sum up to be insomnia, I don't know.

Chris

Post #: 43
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/13/2007 12:32:15 AM   
Titanwarrior89

It will be nice when it is finally here.  I really like the changes that have been to some of the screens and generals.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 44
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/13/2007 2:42:11 AM   
christof139

quote:

we may of beating you to it, I hope you all been looking at the weapons my ANV has been useing

Heh heh heh. You see, Reverse Psychology does after all sometimes work.

Chris

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 45
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/13/2007 3:50:44 AM   
Alan_Bernardo

Will a revised or updated manual by released along with the game update?

Alan

Post #: 46
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/13/2007 8:14:47 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan_Bernardo

Alan

A revised manual is too great a feat, but an addendum is not, and we hope to provide one.

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 47
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/13/2007 2:32:57 PM   
Alan_Bernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

Alan

A revised manual is too great a feat, but an addendum is not, and we hope to provide one.

An addendum, yes-- that's what I was thinking of. A total revision of the manual would take way too long and would certainly delay the release of the update.

Thanks,

Alan

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 48
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/13/2007 9:07:50 PM   
Odium

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

Alan

Will this be something that is included in the box? Or will we be able to download it? I'm about ready to buy this game and I want to make sure I don't miss out on something if I buy now.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 49
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/13/2007 11:38:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

Any revised documentation will be downloadable rather than printed.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Odium)
Post #: 50
Bring up the arty boys... - 3/16/2007 3:27:57 AM   
mike1962

Bring up the arty boys, I want fire on that thar hill! We will accept nothin' short of unconditional surrender of that thar patch, we gotta war to fight here, an' they been hunkered up thar keepin' it to tharselfs! Oh, an' bring me my field glasses, I'm fixin ta sit up thar on that fence rail an' watch, I wanna see the faces when they surrender, I reckon they can't hold out up thar to much longer, this ain't Vicksburg ya know.

Post #: 51
RE: A few new screenshots from the update... - 3/16/2007 4:21:46 AM   
Johnus

"A revised manual is too great a feat, but an addendum is not, and we hope to provide one."

This from Gil R. two days ago. Doesn't sound like this is to be issued any minute.

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 52
RE: Bring up the arty boys... - 3/16/2007 1:51:48 PM   
rook749

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike1962

Bring up the arty boys, I want fire on that thar hill! We will accept nothin' short of unconditional surrender of that thar patch, we gotta war to fight here, an' they been hunkered up thar keepin' it to tharselfs! Oh, an' bring me my field glasses, I'm fixin ta sit up thar on that fence rail an' watch, I wanna see the faces when they surrender, I reckon they can't hold out up thar to much longer, this ain't Vicksburg ya know.

Lol, do you have any openings for a gunner?

Rook

(in reply to mike1962)
Post #: 53
RE: Bring up the arty boys... - 3/16/2007 2:54:51 PM   
Dasara II

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike1962

How do we know that their still up on that hill! It has been awfully quiet, maybe they joined "that devil Forrest" and made a run for it in the night

(in reply to mike1962)
Post #: 54
RE: Bring up the arty boys... - 3/16/2007 8:10:28 PM   
mike1962

Ya might be on ta somthin' there Dasara, Rook there has done 'sploded a might load of shells over their heads if they was to be there, I 'spect nothin' coulda
lived through that. Jes' 'spose they did give us that thar slip, you grab Reynolds and the black hats and put a chase on, I'll arc around with da Cav and cut 'em off if ya don't git to 'em first. Jes' watch out for dat thar Forrest, he's a slippery one, don't let 'im get up behind ya thar. I best be movin' on out, if they git across thar river with the spring rains comin' on we'll never git that thar patch, and I done poked an eye at these new screenies long enough.

(in reply to Dasara II)
Post #: 55
RE: Bring up the arty boys... - 3/16/2007 8:17:51 PM   
Drex

I think these fellas need an FoF fix.:)

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to mike1962)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: A few new screenshots from the update... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI