Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/10/2007 9:17:35 PM   
Ursa MAior

Me no understand. Is diesel a problem?

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 6:23:41 AM   
morvwilson

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

Obviously alot of what I said does not apply to you white. My wife is from the Philipeans, I know how it is there. But on the other hand you could probably go to one of your neighbors and have them build a Mercedes Jeepne for less than I could by a new motor!

Last time i was there I think it was about 20P/litre? Am I close?

..it aplies, a reliable motor's a reliable motor, anywhere..

..and nope, when did you last take her home to see her family ????*..

..40 P a litre...

..s'called inflation...

Inflation?!. Nah, never happens! its all in your imagination
Last trip there for us was 4 years ago during xmas/new year. Had a great time, her mom has a house in Las Pinas.
could not see the end of the street once the fireworks started going! lol

Post #: 32
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 7:05:37 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

..only if you don't have your own oil-wells..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beān'tus all..?,

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 8:53:30 AM   
Zap

Morvwilson

Inflation?!. Nah, never happens! its all in your imagination
Last trip there for us was 4 years ago during xmas/new year. Had a great time, her mom has a house in Las Pinas.
could not see the end of the street once the fireworks started going! lol

You need to be careful in the philipines . I have lots of Filipino friends. They tell me, when their wives go back to visit family. They tell their wives to keep a low profile and don't drive alone outside of the city. Why, because if its known they are back to visit from america they are susceptable to being kidnapped for Ransom. Sorry This was a little off topic.

quote:

I am a big fan of the Diesel engine. I would like to see more American cars made with a deisel engine.

< Message edited by Zap -- 3/11/2007 10:11:12 AM >

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 10:03:54 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

You need to be careful in the philipines . I have lots of Filipino friends. They tell me, when their wives go back to visit family. They tell their wives to keep a low profile and don't drive alone outside of the city. Why, because if its known they are back to visit from america they are susceptable to being kidnapped for Ransom. Sorry This was a little off topic.

..the number of times i've wandered back pissed as a rat thru Davao at gone midnight..

..i do so agree tho, after all, my local cafe in the hills was used by the PLA, and the number of times i've wandered back from that, pissed as a rat (whatever), on the arm of someone who later it apears was a serious member, gosh was i lucky he didn't see my white skin or what ?...

..then there's my son disappearing in the arms of some local taga'k'olo girl for trip round the situo/tribe..

..go on, bring on the unreasoned paranoia....and then let's invade some middle eastern country together..

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 3/11/2007 10:43:12 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 10:54:27 AM   
Zap

I'll go back to my other observation. I think we are missing out by limiting the deisel engine in cars. Long lasting engines and powerful.

Post #: 36
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 2:21:15 PM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

Well 8 liters / 100 kms is not that much to me. Even given that the price is more than 1€/liter here. We dont have great distances.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 37
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 3:02:03 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

Well 8 liters / 100 kms is not that much to me. Even given that the price is more than 1€/liter here. We dont have great distances.

..1 euro ?!?..that takes you how long to earn ?

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 3:05:42 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

I'll go back to my other observation. I think we are missing out by limiting the deisel engine in cars. Long lasting engines and powerful.

..me too, more from the fact that they'l burn anything, than any other reason..i had a vandoeuvre 1 cylinder tractor, it'd run on used engine oil/ diesel 50/50, gods but it was a clunker tho..

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/11/2007 10:41:31 PM   
morvwilson

quote:

I agree with long lasting, but powerful? Not so sure. I owned a mercedes 240D. It had close to 500k miles on it when it was totaled in a wreck. It was dependible but could only do about 40 - 45 mph on hills. Maybe it was my engine hp to chasis weight that was wrong, not sure. It just seems to me that gasoline engines of the same size put out more hp. Also around my neighborhood gasoline is a lot easier to come by that deisel. (Not every gas station has deisel)

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/12/2007 5:42:28 PM   
Procrustes

quote:

quote:

I agree with long lasting, but powerful? Not so sure. I owned a mercedes 240D. It had close to 500k miles on it when it was totaled in a wreck. It was dependible but could only do about 40 - 45 mph on hills. Maybe it was my engine hp to chasis weight that was wrong, not sure. It just seems to me that gasoline engines of the same size put out more hp. Also around my neighborhood gasoline is a lot easier to come by that deisel. (Not every gas station has deisel)
quote:

eir wives go back to visit family. They tell their wives to keep a low profile and don't drive alone outside of the city. Why, because if its known they are back to visit from america they are susceptable to being

The problem I have with deisel is that they stink. All those fine particulates clogging up all our lungs. If they were to improve the pollution control systems I'd be happy, though of course then they start to cost more.... I am curious about the mod kits to make them run on left-over vegetable oil.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/12/2007 6:37:33 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Procrustes

quote:

quote:

quote:

eir wives go back to visit family. They tell their wives to keep a low profile and don't drive alone outside of the city. Why, because if its known they are back to visit from america they are susceptable to being

The problem I have with deisel is that they stink. All those fine particulates clogging up all our lungs. If they were to improve the pollution control systems I'd be happy, though of course then they start to cost more.... I am curious about the mod kits to make them run on left-over vegetable oil.

..s'cool, they do, a diesel'l burn anything..

..all i've now got a problem with is the use of coconut oil, virgin or otherwise, i mean it's selling for how much a litre in the west, and the tree-climbers get 2.50 Peso per tree..

..dontcha just luuvvvv agri-bznz..

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/12/2007 9:56:02 PM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

quote:

quote:

Never counted. Although I dont own a Land rover (I have a suzuki wagoner) I spend 40,000 HUF (fueling once a week) cca 160 €, which in turn is 12% of our famili's income.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 43
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/13/2007 5:36:39 AM   
robpost3

quote:

...who said money don't grow on trees?...
...been about a 30cent raise in the ppg here in NE...hmmmm really warm winter...low demand...should be the other way around...quick question you can refine heating grade oil to gasoline grade with only marginal loss, yes?

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.
"God Help us, and God, come yourself.
Don't send Jesus, this is no place for children."

Post #: 44
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/13/2007 9:32:46 PM   
morvwilson

I have seen shows that talked about kits that would allow you to make deisel feul out of old cooking oil procured from your local McDonalds. I think the cost after buying the equipment ($3000) was about $60-70 for a 55 gallon drum.

(in reply to robpost3)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/14/2007 1:21:58 AM   
robpost3

quote:

I have seen shows that talked about kits that would allow you to make deisel feul out of old cooking oil procured from your local McDonalds. I think the cost after buying the equipment ($3000) was about $60-70 for a 55 gallon drum.

...a gent down the road from me is doing for a bout $500...he has been tinkerin with a kit thats do it yourself...so yeah...
...extendes the life of your engine as it self lubricates, pistons, chambers etc...

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/14/2007 1:27:27 AM   
robpost3

Heres a Ford kit at about $2500 (without labor)
Ford Nomad Kit

For those with the desire to wander we introduce the Nomad Series. These tanks are big, and have built in features that will allow you to travel and gather on the road with ease. Starting at 80 gallons and climbing to 200 gallons there is a Nomad to fit your needs.

Length x Width (from back of bed forward to wheel well) x Height
80 Gal Dimensions (56"x15"x26")
100 Gal Dimensions (56"x19"x26")
120 Gal Dimensions (56"x22"x26")
140 Gal Dimensions (56"x26"x26")

-Ford Nomad

Mounting Position
This picture only demonstrates the where the tank is placed.

Highlights of Kit:
- 12 gauge Steel, Coolant Heated, Dual Chamber Tank – Allows for gathering and filtering of SVO
- Nomad 15 GPM Transfer pump
- Premium Internally Heated Racor 1000FH Filter (all filters available in either 2 or 10 micron)
- Heater Wrap (100 Watt for instant heat to the filter)
- Choice of Enhanced Visibility White or Black Fuel Gauge with sending unit
- Choice of Enhanced Visibility Black or White Vacuum/Pressure gauge for monitoring SVO Fuel System
- Gauge Bracket
- 6-port Pollak Switching Valve
- Accessory In-line Fuel Pump
- 23 Feet of 3B Heated Fuel Hose produced for GFS by Parker
- Fuel Hose
- Wiring Harness
- Electrical Connectors, Fuses, Relays
- All Brass Fittings, Bolts, Hose Clamps, and Screws
- One Large Pre-filter Bag
- Instructions and tech support
- 90 day limited warranty on all electrical items including any pumps, heater wraps, internal heaters, sending units and switching valves. 1 Year Warranty on all other non-electrical components including hoses, tank, fuel pick-up, Racor Filter body.

Ford Nomad Points:
• Ford Nomad Kits work with all Ford diesel engines. We currently do not recommend a SVO conversion on the new 6.0L Fords.
• Nomad Set-up allows for pumping and filtering on the road. Equal Dual Heated Chambers allow one to pick up oil in one chamber, heat it as you drive and then pump and filter through the filter bag into the clean chamber where the SVO is drawn for fuel.
• All Parts are included to install systems in an average of 2 days. You want to be knowledgeable and comfortable around your vehicle to do an install. For a guaranteed, problem-free install from experienced Golden Fuel Technicians check out our services page.
• We can modify Nomad tanks for Short Beds and some custom Situations ($100 custom fee applicable.) We cannot manufacture a Nomad kit to fit under Tonneau Covers type covers (transfer pump is not mountable under a cover.) Check out our Voyager kits for cover compatable options and for more custom options contact us via e-mail.

IMORTANT!
PLEASE measure your truck bed carefully before ordering any of our systems. The dimensions of each of our tanks are listed below their respective prices. It’s your responsibility to make sure the tank you order will fit the bed of your truck. Please note that you need to allow an added 2.25" for the front bolt down tabs on the bottom front of the tank. The tank will ship with FedEx freight and the support box will ship with UPS. FedEx will deliver to business addresses at no extra charge. Residential address must pick up their tank at the closest FedEx Freight Center. To find the closest center check out www.FedEx.com.
-headited por espellink-

< Message edited by robpost3 -- 3/14/2007 1:44:49 AM >

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/14/2007 1:28:06 AM   
robpost3

heres the pickles of em....

Attachment (2)

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/14/2007 1:44:26 AM   
robpost3

cons and kinks...vehicle trans fat probs...cartattack:
Other disadvantages to the use of vegetable oils and especially animal fats, are the high viscosity (about 11 to 17 times higher than diesel fuel), lower volatilities content which causes the formation of deposits in engines due to incomplete combustion and incorrect vaporisation characteristics... At high temperatures there can be some problems with polymerisation of unsaturated fatty acids, this is where cross-linking starts to occur between other molecules, causing very large agglomerations to be formed and consequently gumming occurs.

---the pharmacy army gonna love that "Lipitor" for your car...buy Pfizer stock---

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.

(in reply to robpost3)
Post #: 49
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/15/2007 7:13:10 AM   
Zap

You can get a turbo-diesel. Pickups today pull heavy weights up hills no problem and no overheating like a gas engine.

Stink, and particulets I believe they are working on both. A new deisel fuel with less sulfur.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 50
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/17/2007 4:05:02 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Never counted. Although I dont own a Land rover (I have a suzuki wagoner) I spend 40,000 HUF (fueling once a week) cca 160 €, which in turn is 12% of our famili's income.

..mm, 1 litro of petrol costs around 40% of the standard income..

..nice when fuel's cheap..non ?

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/17/2007 9:19:35 PM   
Ursa MAior

You mean one full tank or ONE SINGLE LITER?

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 52
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/18/2007 3:27:55 AM   
EUBanana

I buy 10 year old Ford Escorts with 100k miles on the clock for Ģ250 pounds, usually with something like 9 months of time left on the MoT before it needs to legally be taken into the garage.

But I dont bother taking it into the garage.  Instead, I just take it to the scrap yard, and buy another one for Ģ250, which is usually less than the price of getting the garage to certify it for another year.

Rinse, repeat...   means I dont have to worry about anybody nicking it or keying it up or anything like that.  Not like anybody is going to want to steal a heap like that either.

big fan of the disposable car, I am. 

Mind you I dont usually go driving for any great distance, if I had a huge commute or something it'd be a bit risky in a PoS.

Post #: 53
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/22/2007 11:39:45 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: robpost3

quote:

...who said money don't grow on trees?...
...been about a 30cent raise in the ppg here in NE...hmmmm really warm winter...low demand...should be the other way around...quick question you can refine heating grade oil to gasoline grade with only marginal loss, yes?

..in Europe it depends if you get yr tank dipped by the poulets, otherwise they're equally good for the bulk of diesels..

(in reply to robpost3)
Post #: 54
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/22/2007 11:41:36 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

I buy 10 year old Ford Escorts with 100k miles on the clock for Ģ250 pounds, usually with something like 9 months of time left on the MoT before it needs to legally be taken into the garage.

But I dont bother taking it into the garage.  Instead, I just take it to the scrap yard, and buy another one for Ģ250, which is usually less than the price of getting the garage to certify it for another year.

Rinse, repeat...   means I dont have to worry about anybody nicking it or keying it up or anything like that.  Not like anybody is going to want to steal a heap like that either.

big fan of the disposable car, I am. 

Mind you I dont usually go driving for any great distance, if I had a huge commute or something it'd be a bit risky in a PoS.

..good engine..

..lousy bodywork, cardboard'd last longer..

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 55
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/22/2007 11:45:54 AM   
a white rabbit

..anyway, not boasting or anything, but i got within half a klick of Gesok, for a wedding, i was ninong, the first 4-wheels to get that far..yeahhhh...

..if only i'd had my bridging ramps..sighhhh.

..err, let's "off-road"..

Post #: 56
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/22/2007 8:00:27 PM   
robpost3

...izzat you off roadin....

Attachment (1)

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.

Post #: 57
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/27/2007 8:07:00 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

You mean one full tank or ONE SINGLE LITER?

..err, 1 litro

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 58
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/27/2007 8:10:20 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: robpost3

...izzat you off roadin....

..nahh, i go round the muddy bits, like thru some-one's mango orchard, a couple of back-yards (s'ok i put the fences back), over some carefully walked-out steams and across a couple of maize fields..

.. what i need are alu bridging ramps..dammit, i'm gonna be the first 4-wheels in Gesok..

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 3/27/2007 8:11:28 PM >

(in reply to robpost3)
Post #: 59
RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles - 3/29/2007 9:34:56 PM   
fatehunter

'92 subaru legacy 4x4 station wagon, 240,000 km's (150,000 miles) on 2.2 litre 130 hp horizontal opposed 4 cylinder. (known as the bulletproof subaru engine). Still burns no oil, just leaks some. Every few years I replace a few seals.

this car has true 4x4. 50% power to front/rear. Off course there is no limited slip diff so in reality there is one powered wheel up forward and one back aft. (bridged it on a snow bank and found that out. However, it's light enough to rock off.)

I 4x4, tow my boat (slippery ramps no problem). ski, tow the utility trailer and carry a huge load of crap. (the trailer is for the firewood, crap goes in the car). Oh, and commute all over the place.

Most important I don't give a **** if the thing gets scratched, kicked, etc.

My wife has the nice car, a 2007 VW rabbit (150 hp 5 cylinder). This car goes like stink!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT: Reliable Vehicles Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI