Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Importing "Career Average" Players?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Importing "Career Average" Players? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Importing "Career Average" Players? - 4/25/2007 3:24:10 AM   
texasmame

Hey, all!

Long time Baseball For Windows user here. I'm about to take the plunge with PS - was completely floored by the level of detail, stats, etc. Great going! The only thing missing, for me, was some audio play-by-play. Ernie Harwell did the PBP for BBW and it added a lot to the game, for me anyhow.

One question, tho. I know you can't do it on the demo version, but if you import players for drafting, etc. can you import a "career average" of that player?

For example, Player X played 10 seasons in the majors and had a .300 20 100 line for his career. Can you get ONE "Player X" with his career stats, averaged out to one 162 game season?

The had this option in BBW and loved it, using it for all my leagues.

LMK if they have that or something similar for PS!

Thanx,
John in TX

< Message edited by texasmame -- 4/26/2007 1:34:54 AM >

BoSox Fever!
Post #: 1
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 4/28/2007 6:39:07 AM   
texasmame

I'm guessing this is a "no" then? Isn't anyone from the company here gonna try and answer a simple question for a potential paying customer?

BoSox Fever!

(in reply to texasmame)
Post #: 2
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 4/28/2007 4:32:42 PM   
DonBraswell

I'm an old BBW fan also, I would like to help. But I don't know the answer. I play fictional players now.

(in reply to texasmame)
Post #: 3
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 4/28/2007 6:00:10 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: texasmame

Hey, all!

Long time Baseball For Windows user here. I'm about to take the plunge with PS - was completely floored by the level of detail, stats, etc. Great going! The only thing missing, for me, was some audio play-by-play. Ernie Harwell did the PBP for BBW and it added a lot to the game, for me anyhow.

One question, tho. I know you can't do it on the demo version, but if you import players for drafting, etc. can you import a "career average" of that player?

For example, Player X played 10 seasons in the majors and had a .300 20 100 line for his career. Can you get ONE "Player X" with his career stats, averaged out to one 162 game season?

The had this option in BBW and loved it, using it for all my leagues.

LMK if they have that or something similar for PS!

Thanx,
John in TX

Sorry for the delay. I do this in my spare time which can lead to me not getting to all the posts until the weekend.

It doesn't do exactly what you are saying but that is an interesting idea. PureSim can be played as a career-oriented game (players age/improve/decline) or a pure replay game (you can play the same season over and over). There is also a mode called "Sandbox" that lets you import players and teams from any era, or even import just 2 teams to do what if? type simulation. The idea you describe wouldn't work with classic career model, but it might be interesting in a Sandbox+Replay mode. Very interesting actually. How did BBW handle assigning the player Age, or did that simply not matter?

I'm interested in hearing your ideas around this. Its the kind of thing that might be fun to add to the engine.

In case you are wondering how the current import algorithm works...

The way the game works is based on the year of your assoication, PureSim will import the player and build his stats (and future potential) by looking at a window of time prior to and after the actual real year you are importing him from. It will then normalize his stats as well (for example if you import Ruth into 2006 his power will be huge since he hit an order of magnitude more HRs than his peers when he played).

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to texasmame)
Post #: 4
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 4/28/2007 8:54:31 PM   
texasmame

Shaun,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hear that PS can't yet do this.

BBW didn't follow seasons on its own - in other words, it was purely a "sandbox"-type setup in which each season was a season unto itself - players never declined or improved, stat-wise. Therefore, age never really entered the equation.

I just happened to see that BBW did this "career average import" option and fell in love with it. When Miller Associates, the parent company, went under, they stopped updating the product, including their stats disk (had to use that, couldn't import from Lahman's or whatnot). They seemed to have been a poorly run company as they were never ontime with new season disks, etc. AND they had a propensity for milking their customers by adding "improvements" to the game - which you had to pay for. No free patches, they were called "upgrades." Feh.

I had the time of my life (well, so to speak) simming 6 seasons with that damn game but just about everything needed lots of manual attention and "house rules" - there was no trade AI, etc. PS has it all over BBW in that, and many other, regards.

PS looks like a helluva product and I'm still working with the demo. I gotta say, I do enjoy the sounds, flight of the ball and the option to use MS Voice to read the play by play - much better than some others where there is NO SOUND.

One big thing BBW had for it was the legendary voice of the Tigers, Ernie Harwell, doing PBP. It shot the "imersion factor" for the sim off the charts - it was as close as you could get to watching a game you were managing. Way cool. Ever considered something similar for PS?

Well, attached is a shot of Joe DiMaggio's player card, just to give you an idea of how BBW handled the career average thing. Amazing - Joe was just as likely to homer as he was to K!

Thanx,
John in TX

PS - I tried sending you a PM with my question but your box was full. Feel free to email me if you have more questions on BBW - I still have all my stuff! :)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by texasmame -- 4/28/2007 8:59:57 PM >

BoSox Fever!

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 4/29/2007 7:52:38 PM   
texasmame

Here's the encyclopedia's interface, too. It was called the FANPARK ENCYCLOPEDIA or the BILL JAMES ELECTRONIC ENCYCLOPEDIA and was made by the now defunct Miller Associates.

Attachment (1)

BoSox Fever!

(in reply to texasmame)
Post #: 6
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 5/1/2007 10:25:17 PM   
JungleJim99

I too switched from Baseball for Windows (APBA) and I love PS2k7, but I do really miss Ernie Harwell...

(in reply to texasmame)
Post #: 7
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 5/2/2007 2:59:02 AM   
texasmame

Well, I never "switched," but Miller just stopped supporting their product with yearly stats CDs. Believe me, if they had the damn game set up to make use of Lahman's or any other DB, I'd be into my 10th season by now!

BoSox Fever!

(in reply to JungleJim99)
Post #: 8
RE: Importing "Career Average" Players? - 5/3/2007 7:09:24 AM   
DonBraswell

John
I'll be -----, I just read messages by you on two different forms. I think Jay is still around here some where.
Don

(in reply to texasmame)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Importing "Career Average" Players? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI