Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loading Bugs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Loading Bugs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 2:11:44 AM   
Snowman999

Does anyone have any tips/rules to minimize hassles with the TF-loading bugs introduced in the last patch?

I'm in mid-42 allies vs. AI. Moving units to Baker Island in prep for operations to the NW. Have let infantry and engineer units on West Coast fill out completely to TOE. When I load them into sufficiently-large transport TFs I get seemingly random behavior. I've tried combos of AKs and APs, single ship-type TFs, loading with supplies and without, I've tried to use exactly the listed lift capacities as well as provided several ships in excess of needs. Nothing I do seems to work, or even provide any consistent behavior. I inevitably end up forming single ship TFs, taking a chunk of the left-behinds, then repeating every turn until they finally all load. I've even seen 0 elements still in San Francisco but the command still being resident and letting me change the planning objective, even though all men and materiel are on the water.

Air units and Seabees ways seem to load first-time every-time. Larger units fragment more easily, but I've seen pretty small aircraft support units do so.

This is turning into my main time-sink. In my last game I ended up massively fragmented and I vowed to do better this time, but I have relatively few campaigns underway and it's nearly unmanageable already.

Any help?
Post #: 1
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 2:17:04 AM   
rtrapasso

Usually, i will have at least a two-to-one excess of capacity - three to one is better... of course, this can be problematic if you are short of transports.

(in reply to Snowman999)
Post #: 2
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 5:18:00 AM   
Snowman999

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Usually, i will have at least a two-to-one excess of capacity - three to one is better... of course, this can be problematic if you are short of transports.

I am right now. Mid-42, building supply dumps. Am moving massive excess of AKs from India to US West Coast, via southern OZ, but they're not home yet. Even so, this is a really bad bug set.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 7:12:23 AM   
JeffroK

I do as rtrapasso, overkill to ensure they all fit.

I also go "Load Combat units only" and create seperate supply convoys, I think there is an automatic % of supply loaded on transport convoys.

Dont expect to be able to do everything at once, especially in 42.

What loading bug??

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Snowman999)
Post #: 4
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 8:46:49 AM   
Sardaukar

Yes, if you use command "Load Troops", there is always space left for certain amount of supplies, which can cause units to not load completely if you underestimate the need of cargo space. If transporting LCUs from base to another, use "Load Only Troops" to fit them more efficiently.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 9:16:03 AM   
apbarog

I had experienced a fragmenting problem for quite awhile, until I determined that it was something that I was doing. I would load my task force, see that it was completely loaded, set it's new destination and home port, and click Unload, so that it would immediately start unloading at its destination. The next turn, all or part of the unit would be back at the port of origin, and the task force will have left port.

I avoid this now by clicking Unload only after leaving port.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 6
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 10:59:25 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

I had experienced a fragmenting problem for quite awhile, until I determined that it was something that I was doing. I would load my task force, see that it was completely loaded, set it's new destination and home port, and click Unload, so that it would immediately start unloading at its destination. The next turn, all or part of the unit would be back at the port of origin, and the task force will have left port.

True that.
Also, there is an annoying bug in 1.8.04 where TFs stop loading/unloading when another TF is disbanded in same port. So have to check that too...sometimes makes using Auto-disband annoying..especially since I prefer to play 2-day turns.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 7
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 12:49:46 PM   
fokkov

It seems to me by experience that when you first replenish a tf and than order to load troops in the same turn that some or all vessel don't load any troops , same when replenish first , than disband and form new tf with the same vessels.

in to deep and out of time

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 8
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 2:32:40 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: fokkov

It seems to me by experience that when you first replenish a tf and than order to load troops in the same turn that some or all vessel don't load any troops , same when replenish first , than disband and form new tf with the same vessels.

That is because you run out of operation points of ships. Refuel/rearm in port uses usually most of 1000 ops points available for turn..leaving none for loading etc. You can see it on TF screen, ops points for all ships are listed in one of the columns.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 4/30/2007 4:09:55 PM >

(in reply to fokkov)
Post #: 9
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 2:59:30 PM   
saj42

I have NO problems with loading under 1.804. Mind you I do have a process.

1. I always open the individual unit screen to see the real load requirement.
2. Allocate upto 50% extra ship capacity
3. Create small TFs to load 1 unit at a time - then combine them after load complete
4. Always set 'do not unload' before clicking 'load unit'
5. Never set destination until loading is complete
6. Never use a ship that has over 500 op points used for refuelling in port - prefer not to use ships that have refuelled at all

This may take a day or two longer but IT WORKS FOR ME

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 5:28:09 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

I've seen the same thing, however, it can even be a TF with "0" op points. You hit "Load Troops", and nothing loads. What I've had to do is pull 1 AP (or AK) out of the TF and into it's own TF. That AP will now load. Put the AP back into the original TF and pull out another ship....repeat. Kind of a pain, but it works.

quote:

ORIGINAL : Tallyho!

3. Create small TFs to load 1 unit at a time - then combine them after load complete
6. Never use a ship that has over 500 op points used for refuelling in port - prefer not to use ships that have refuelled at all

I use the same steps...especially #3...I only create ONE TF to load ONE LCU at a time and then combine. The program is a very poor Loadmaster.

(in reply to fokkov)
Post #: 11
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 5:30:06 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

I've seen the same thing, however, it can even be a TF with "0" op points. You hit "Load Troops", and nothing loads. What I've had to do is pull 1 AP (or AK) out of the TF and into it's own TF. That AP will now load. Put the AP back into the original TF and pull out another ship....repeat. Kind of a pain, but it works.

quote:

ORIGINAL : Tallyho!

I use the same steps...especially #3...I only create ONE TF to load ONE LCU at a time and then combine. The program is a very poor Loadmaster.

Yes - the last is vital - one TF per LCU, then combine them at the end...

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 12
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 10:49:43 PM   
Snowman999

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

I've always done what you say above in para #1. Re-fuel, order the load-out (with or without supplies), set the destination, but leave the Unload command in force. This makes for the most hands-off process as I don't have to track each TF on the next turn to change to Unload.

What I suspect is I'm not tracking Op points and the refuel eats more than I'd thought. The TF loads what it can on that turn and leaves unfilled. I think this because I've also been seeing some TFs not instantly load after I back up to the base level when I do a Troops Only command.

I'll try it your way. But it does seem as if this didn't happen before the last patch. I've always used both Load Troops Only and Load With Supplies and didn't have the fragmentation problems. Using 50% or 100% more ships than stated is also a work-around, but that removes a lot of the Allies core advantage in the first 18 months.

Snowman999

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 13
RE: Loading Bugs - 4/30/2007 10:52:48 PM   
Snowman999

[/quote]

True that.
Also, there is an annoying bug in 1.8.04 where TFs stop loading/unloading when another TF is disbanded in same port. So have to check that too...sometimes makes using Auto-disband annoying..especially since I prefer to play 2-day turns.
[/quote]

I haven't seen this, but I've seen TFs that were partly loaded when I save be "Idle" but partly full when I reload the game next time.

Snowman999

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 14
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 1:51:39 AM   
JeffroK

Blimey, the trouble people go to.  Where do I get micromanagement for dummies, I'm missing something.

I create my Task Force, having an idea of what i am loading so i have enough lift points, select units to be loaded and then allocate the destination. The ships should be refuelde anyway.

Seems to work 99% of the time, any problems are blamed on the Wharfies and I try again next day.

IRL, loading takes so much longer than in WITP that a days delay means nothing.

I have few fragments, usually they are caused by panicking and rushing whatever I can to the front.

(in reply to Snowman999)
Post #: 15
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 3:46:46 AM   
Snowman999

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Blimey, the trouble people go to.  Where do I get micromanagement for dummies, I'm missing something.

I create my Task Force, having an idea of what i am loading so i have enough lift points, select units to be loaded and then allocate the destination. The ships should be refuelde anyway.

Seems to work 99% of the time, any problems are blamed on the Wharfies and I try again next day.

IRL, loading takes so much longer than in WITP that a days delay means nothing.

I have few fragments, usually they are caused by panicking and rushing whatever I can to the front.

I'm not rushing anything. I'm loading one fully-formed division at a time on a TF that is large enough according to the game's GUI. I don't have lift available right now to make every one 200% in size, however. This used to work better; my fragments used to be due to rushing as you say and being new to the game.

I seem to remember a thread in the past month or two about this. Someone with de-bugging experience said he suspected a "blown pointer" in the last patch that was causing fragmentation where there didn't used to be as much. If you're not playing with the latest patch you won't be seeing involuntary fragmentation.

That said, as I said, I think I may be adding to my troubles by not watching Op points like a hawk.

Snowman999

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 16
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 4:32:50 AM   
JeffroK

I meant my panicking

Most of these sorts of problems fall under my heading of S&*^%%$$$$#t happens!!

IRL all sorts of stuff occured, 1 Marine Div arrived in EnZed and the ships had to be emptied and repacked for a combat landing, the game doesnt demand that. (I'd make it mandatory for a TF to be an Amphib type rather than a Transport type) In both OZ & EnZed there were Labour problems, occaisionaly the troops had to load/unload ships, the game doesnt cover that either. 

I put up with little problems as being "friction", it takes a day or 2 longer than you hope. 

I try and see the Forest while understanding that it needs the trees to exist.

(in reply to Snowman999)
Post #: 17
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 6:00:54 AM   
Mynok

For divisions, which can indeed be an issue, make your TF with Do Not Unload set and no destination. Load Only Troops and select your division. Once the "loading troops" goes away, check for a fragment. If there is one, make another small TF big enough for the fragment and Load Only troops. When it finishes, transfer the ships into the first TF and set your destination. Be sure to toggle Unload before it reaches the destination.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 18
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 6:49:17 AM   
Snowman999

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

For divisions, which can indeed be an issue, make your TF with Do Not Unload set and no destination. Load Only Troops and select your division. Once the "loading troops" goes away, check for a fragment. If there is one, make another small TF big enough for the fragment and Load Only troops. When it finishes, transfer the ships into the first TF and set your destination. Be sure to toggle Unload before it reaches the destination.

This is good advice and I'll be doing this from now on, especially with my assault units. It's a bit tedious, but it's better than having 1/8 of your division back in SF running around the Wharf district while their buddies are storming ashore.

I went back and found the thread where the new 1.8 bugs were discussed. It was called "Micromanagement" and started out on transport planes and went into ships mid-way. Several people said they noticed more fragmentation in the last patch.

Snowman999

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 19
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 10:00:55 AM   
MarcA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

I use Tallyho!'s method, except that I never use ships with op points. I have had only one failure to load properly using this method, an EAB in San Franscisco. But as Mynok says, in these cases the best thing to do is to form a seperate TF, load the fragment onto it and then combine with the parent's TF.

I also have trouble with TF's loadiung supplies sometimes. Quiet often they will half load and then just stop for no apperent reason. You can tell them to start loading again and this works fine.

It is an annoying little bug that's crept in. It just requires more micromanagment than usual to offset

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 20
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 2:52:01 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

The bug is easy to duplicate. Just disband a TF at the same port you have a TF loading. The next higher numbered TF will have its load orders cancelled.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 21
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 4:39:55 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

I use Tallyho!'s method, except that I never use ships with op points. I have had only one failure to load properly using this method, an EAB in San Franscisco. But as Mynok says, in these cases the best thing to do is to form a seperate TF, load the fragment onto it and then combine with the parent's TF.

I also have trouble with TF's loadiung supplies sometimes. Quiet often they will half load and then just stop for no apperent reason. You can tell them to start loading again and this works fine.

It is an annoying little bug that's crept in. It just requires more micromanagment than usual to offset

I use a modification of both methods and I have not had a problem since:

1. Look in unit screen to deltermine true requirements for a single unit
2. Create a TF for that size plus 10% from ships with zero expended load points
3. Load unit
4. Repeat for all units to be loaded
5. Merge all single-unit TFs together, set destination
6. Monitor load status each turn, eyball remaining load capacity vice required loadpoints for each unit: Remember the plus 10% and if it looks tight (or you get in a hurry) create a one or two ship TF for each unit you want to "rush", order the load and then merge the little TF in with the big one.
7. NEVER,NEVER,NEVER disband a TF in the port when you are still loading; if you do and your TF stops loading the only way to prevent massive fragments is to unload everybody and start over (I learned that one the hard way)

Note that I never found it necessary to set "do not unload". Also I found that even with a 30% excess I still sometime had to add extra "rush" ships; since I had to monitor progress anyway I dropped the requirement to 10% (I never tried Tallyho!'s 50% excess)

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 22
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 7:03:35 PM   
Snowman999

[/quote]

[/quote]

As I said, I've seen load orders changed across a save-reload cycle. For what you describe, perhpas the "disband bug" discussed here is the culprit?

I've had one oddity I've seen several times with oil loads as allies. (Again, perhaps it's Op point related.) In early war I send tanker TFs formed in SF to San Diego to load oil for Sydney. Usually SD has about 40k oil in storage (from memory.) The tanker TF has more capacity than that; maybe 90k roughly. I order the load, set Sydney as the new home port, set a destination south of Japanese LBA radius (around Suva maybe), and go do other things. Several turns later I find the tankers on their way with about 30% of a full load each. I'd assumed they would wait for the oil stocks to flow in across multiple turns, but they seem to load what's there and leave.

This doesn't seem to be the case for fuel or supplies. In fact, I'd like it to be the case for supplies. Often, later in the war when I'm leap-frogging islands, I try to strip an unneeded rear base of all supplies and fuel to carry forward, but the TF just sits there when the base supply goes to zero. I have to babysit them by Undocking and sending them on their way partly loaded.

I realize this stuff is old-hat to most of you playing this game for years now. <g>

Snowman999

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 23
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 7:11:24 PM   
Snowman999

[/quote]
6. Monitor load status each turn, eyball remaining load capacity vice required loadpoints for each unit: Remember the plus 10% and if it looks tight (or you get in a hurry) create a one or two ship TF for each unit you want to "rush", order the load and then merge the little TF in with the big one.
[/quote]

This brings up a question I haven't tested, but someone probably has (with spreadsheets!)

Say you want to load a large division. You create not one but two transport TFs, each large enough to take the whole thing. You order them to load on the same turn. What does the game code do? Is it different if you order one to load with supplies and the other without? What if you order one to load on turn 1, and the other to load on turn 2 while the first is still in mid-load?

I ask this because, in my attempts to load final fragments, I've often made single-ship TFs begin "cleaning up" before the large one is quite finished, in order to save days. Usually the first is topping off with supplies, but there are still troops on the pier. (I know I shouldn't load with supplies anymore, but the game code allows this.)

Also, as to TF load size requirements, why does the game give two different numbers, sometimes several thousand units different, on the summary screen and the LCU detail screen? Is the detail screen the accurate figure?

< Message edited by Snowman999 -- 5/1/2007 7:15:01 PM >

Snowman999

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 24
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/1/2007 7:35:19 PM   
Gem35

quote:

Also, as to TF load size requirements, why does the game give two different numbers, sometimes several thousand units different, on the summary screen and the LCU detail screen? Is the detail screen the accurate figure?

The individual unit's screen will tell you exactly how much capacity will be needed for an AK, AP etc...
That is how I determine which transports to use.
For example , tank units are more efficiently loaded on an AK as opposed to an AP.

< Message edited by Gem35 -- 5/1/2007 7:37:35 PM >

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Snowman999)
Post #: 25
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/2/2007 1:04:48 AM   
saj42

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

I use a modification of both methods and I have not had a problem since:

1. Look in unit screen to deltermine true requirements for a single unit
2. Create a TF for that size plus 10% from ships with zero expended load points
3. Load unit
4. Repeat for all units to be loaded
5. Merge all single-unit TFs together, set destination
7. NEVER,NEVER,NEVER disband a TF in the port when you are still loading; if you do and your TF stops loading the only way to prevent massive fragments is to unload everybody and start over (I learned that one the hard way)

Note that I never found it necessary to set "do not unload". Also I found that even with a 30% excess I still sometime had to add extra "rush" ships; since I had to monitor progress anyway I dropped the requirement to 10% (I never tried Tallyho!'s 50% excess)

The extra 50% is so I get supplies loaded as well. This setup is obviously for moving units from rear areas to staging bases using large APs and AKs (the supply is there as insurance - and no wasted capacity). For amphibious assaults I would use small APs and dedicated amph shipping and only loading what will unload in one turn (phase) for an atoll invasion (to avoid follow-on shock attacks).

The 'cancel loading due to TF disband' BUG is a real pain

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 26
RE: Loading Bugs - 5/2/2007 5:35:37 PM   
Oldguard1970

Is there a good way to ensure that the toops loaded on a transport can unload in one phase?

"For amphibious assaults I would use small APs and dedicated amph shipping and only loading what will unload in one turn (phase) for an atoll invasion (to avoid follow-on shock attacks). "

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Loading Bugs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI