Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bitmaps vs vectors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Bitmaps vs vectors Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 7:26:10 AM   
bredsjomagnus

Agree. The horizontal bar on top is much better then the thin border shown before.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 901
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 10:30:24 AM   
Neilster

Me too.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to bredsjomagnus)
Post #: 902
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 11:10:47 AM   
c92nichj

I like tis option as well

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 903
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 1:05:30 PM   
Frederyck

Looks really good. I like it!

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 904
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 2:55:38 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

I like the last suggestion too. It seems there is a consensus to show captured units this way.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 905
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 2:56:54 PM   
iamspamus

I agree. The stripe is nice.

Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

I love that that way.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 906
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 9:33:16 PM   
composer99

That stripe on top also gets my vote.

~ Composer99

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 907
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 4/30/2007 10:04:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

My word, a consensus!

There are two other times when I add a stripe on the counter to indicate a second country.

For lend lease aircraft, the stripe is across the bottom numbers, though it does not extend all the way to the bottom of the counter. This is the same as it is on the cardboard counters, with the stripe indicating the country of origin. To be able to do that, there are separate counters/bitmaps for each variation of the lend-leased aircraft. That is, there are separate bitmaps of the unit for each country, even though there is really only one unit represented (if the Brits have the unit, then their counter is in play and the corresponding USA counter is in the LendLeasePool (I have yet to write the code to handle all this though - CWIF did it differently). Should the Americans demand the unit back, then the CW unit would go into the LendLeasePool and the USA variation would be in play. I use the word variation because the numbers on the counters often change slightly dependnig on which country has the unit.

The third stripe, for "loaned units", is across the bottom of the unit - it is small and does not intrude onto the numbers. Indeed, the stripe for a loaned unit abuts the stripe for lend-leased units. A loaned unit is one that a player has assigned to another player for movement. As far as RAW is concerned, when a unit is loaned to another player, nothing has happened at all. It is merely whose hand picks up and moves the unit. For example, the Germans might move Italians units in Russia and the Italians move German aircraft in the Med. WMIF has to have this information explicitly entered, so I want to show this visually on the counter. The stripe at the bottom indicates that the unit has been loaned to another major power, who will decide when and where to move it.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 908
The Final Countdown - 5/1/2007 10:02:00 PM   
Froonp

This afternoon, I played around a little, and had a dream come true
(the values are pure nonsense, I just couldn't manage to display more than 15 Air to Air strengh )

Attachment (1)

Post #: 909
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/1/2007 10:21:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

(the values are pure nonsense, I just couldn't manage to display more than 15 Air to Air strengh )

As I recall, most counters number/factors are stored in 4 bit fields (0-15).

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 910
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/2/2007 1:24:22 PM   
amwild

quote:

There's a film about this: see this... The modern Nimitz goes back in time to WWII. We just have to be able to do this!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 911
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/2/2007 2:20:11 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: amwild
There's a film about this: see this... The modern Nimitz goes back in time to WWII. We just have to be able to do this!

That was the point of my post indeed

(in reply to amwild)
Post #: 912
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/3/2007 5:37:07 AM   
paulderynck

For two nights now it has been making me crazy trying to remember that movie's name.

It was "The Final Countdown", starring Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen, Katherine Ross, James Farrentino and Charles Durning. Generally regarded as a "B" movie, I thought it was pretty good until they avoided the encounter between the Nimitz's fighters and the Japanese Pearl Harbor strike force by re-inventing the phenomena that caused the time shift in the first place. ...a real cop-out.

There was one scene where a couple F-14s made quick work of a couple Zeros - surprise, surprise.

Of course this never comes up when I play NTN's "Get Reel".

...and now back to this station's regular programming

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 913
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/3/2007 1:56:29 PM   
iamspamus

Yep, Final Countdown. See

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/web/20060506-alternate-history-mark-twain-lest-darkness-fall-connecticut-yankee.shtml

Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

For two nights now it has been making me crazy trying to remember that movie's name.

It was "The Final Countdown", starring Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen, Katherine Ross, James Farrentino and Charles Durning. Generally regarded as a "B" movie, I thought it was pretty good until they avoided the encounter between the Nimitz's fighters and the Japanese Pearl Harbor strike force by re-inventing the phenomena that caused the time shift in the first place. ...a real cop-out.

There was one scene where a couple F-14s made quick work of a couple Zeros - surprise, surprise.

Of course this never comes up when I play NTN's "Get Reel".

...and now back to this station's regular programming

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 914
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/4/2007 3:45:31 AM   
flailen

The US Navy retired the venerable F-14 last Sept. Sigh ... I'm getting old

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 915
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/4/2007 6:53:11 AM   
composer99

Ah, it's all good. We'll all have Top Gun to remember the F-14 by.

~ Composer99

(in reply to flailen)
Post #: 916
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/4/2007 9:58:40 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

If I could just speak from the perspective of someone who worked as a technician on fighters and who had a tremendous amount to do with fighter pilots, that movie is the biggest pile of rotting elephant excrement of all time.

If someone set out to make the most unrealistic film about fighter combat possible, given the help of the US Navy and with scads of money, they would make Top Gun. Yes, it's got some nice footage of carrier operations and F-14s but then again, you would hope so given the subject matter. Out of interest I watched it again recently and found myself shouting obscenities at the screen. Utter bilge.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 917
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/4/2007 8:11:47 PM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

If I could just speak from the perspective of someone who worked as a technician on fighters and who had a tremendous amount to do with fighter pilots, that movie is the biggest pile of rotting elephant excrement of all time.

If someone set out to make the most unrealistic film about fighter combat possible, given the help of the US Navy and with scads of money, they would make Top Gun. Yes, it's got some nice footage of carrier operations and F-14s but then again, you would hope so given the subject matter. Out of interest I watched it again recently and found myself shouting obscenities at the screen. Utter bilge.

Cheers, Neilster

But Neilster its HOLLYWOOD.

In Hollywood they belive the military loves trouble makers and rebels

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 918
RE: The Final Countdown - 5/4/2007 11:54:08 PM   
composer99

Actually, I would think if you wanted to make the most unrealistic movie about jet fighter combat, you would set out to make Independence Day.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 919
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 12:14:45 AM   
doctormm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Here is a screen shot from setting up the Guadalcanal scenario. My question to you is about the Netherlands CA Sumatra which is now 'owned' by the Commonwealth, since the Netherlands has been conquered.

Being a bit anal here -

Assuming that the "new" world map is used (with Dutch Guyana as a minor country), then the Netherlans will not be conquered at the start of the Guadalcanal scenario...

Post #: 920
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 12:53:38 AM   
Froonp

Hello Doctormm, here is what your avatar would look like in MWiF .

Attachment (1)

(in reply to doctormm)
Post #: 921
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 1:57:58 AM   
doctormm

Patrice -
I was wondering about doing just that. Thanks for saving me the effort.
Bob

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 922
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 2:23:58 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctormm
quote:

Here is a screen shot from setting up the Guadalcanal scenario. My question to you is about the Netherlands CA Sumatra which is now 'owned' by the Commonwealth, since the Netherlands has been conquered.

Being a bit anal here -

Assuming that the "new" world map is used (with Dutch Guyana as a minor country), then the Netherlans will not be conquered at the start of the Guadalcanal scenario...

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. do you mean, ...

The Netherlands is incompletely conquered by Germany and sets up with NEI as its new home country. When the NEI is conquered by Japan, the Netherlands now moves its home country to Dutch Guyana? So the Sumatra should still be owned by the Netherlands instead of the CW?

Steve

(in reply to doctormm)
Post #: 923
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 2:54:11 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here's the USSR side of Barbaossa, with the Black Sea fleet spread out so you can see them all. The box in the lower right corner contains the map views I have been using for the USSR for this scenario. It lets me jump around the map effortlessly.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 924
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 3:11:30 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctormm
quote:

Being a bit anal here -

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. do you mean, ...

The Netherlands is incompletely conquered by Germany and sets up with NEI as its new home country. When the NEI is conquered by Japan, the Netherlands now moves its home country to Dutch Guyana? So the Sumatra should still be owned by the Netherlands instead of the CW?

When the Netherlands is incompletely conquered, it can setup the NEI as its new home country, but it can also setup the UK as its home country,which is better.
When the NEI is conquered by Japan, the Netherlands is still incompletely conquered (whatever its new home country may have been) because it still own an aligned minor in the name of Dutch Guyana, so Dutch ships are still Dutch and not yet British (so there still are coop problems with non CW units). I think that he meant that.
When the NEI is conquered, Sumatra (as part of the NEI) is conquered too.

Edit : Hehe, I thought that you were toalkin of Sumatra, the island, in your answer, and I realize by reading it all that you meant the Cruiser . The Sumatra CA stays Dutch, that's it, as the Netherlands are not yet completely conquered.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/6/2007 3:13:34 AM >

Post #: 925
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 3:59:30 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

When the Netherlands is incompletely conquered, it can setup the NEI as its new home country, but it can also setup the UK as its home country,which is better.
When the NEI is conquered by Japan, the Netherlands is still incompletely conquered (whatever its new home country may have been) because it still own an aligned minor in the name of Dutch Guyana, so Dutch ships are still Dutch and not yet British (so there still are coop problems with non CW units). I think that he meant that.
When the NEI is conquered, Sumatra (as part of the NEI) is conquered too.

Edit : Hehe, I thought that you were toalkin of Sumatra, the island, in your answer, and I realize by reading it all that you meant the Cruiser . The Sumatra CA stays Dutch, that's it, as the Netherlands are not yet completely conquered.

Rats. I have to rethink this all again.

Take for example, the Yugoslavian cruiser that is part of the Italian setup in the Lebensraum scenario (as one example). Clearly this is a captured unit that the Italians have taken possession of. For all practical purposes in the game, it is Italian.

On the other hand, the CA Sumatra (Dutch) is part of the CW setup for Guadalcanal. But it is not clear to me whether the unit has been captured by the CW (and is now owned by the CW), or if it is still owned by the Netherlands.

The setup rules seem to use the same notation for both instances.

I had been assuming that the CA Sumatra was captured and was now owned by the CW at teh start of Guadalcanal. It appears you think that is incorrect.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 926
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 4:04:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Every once in a while, a bug presents a humorous outcome. Or perhaps the humor is simply a reflection of my distorted point of view after debugging for too long. Fro instacne, this popped up today. The coloring indicates that the Polish have lend leased the Bf 110G to the Germans and the French have also lend leased the Condor to them.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 927
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 10:42:23 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I had been assuming that the CA Sumatra was captured and was now owned by the CW at teh start of Guadalcanal. It appears you think that is incorrect.

It depends on the status of conquest of the Netherlands.
Completely conquered : CA Sumatra is CW ship.
Incompletely conquered : CA Sumatra is Dutch ship controlled by the CW.
I think that the best is either to look at the conquest status of the Netherlands in this scenario, or if not mentionned to deduct it from the real situation that is that as Dutch Guyana is still Dutch, the Netherlands are not Completely Conquered.

Indeed, there should be no scenario in MWiF where the Netherlands is completely conquered.

Post #: 928
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 7:53:25 PM   
Mziln

Section 24 Scenario Information does not distinguish between “Conquered” and “Incompletely conquered”. Perhaps this section needs to be updated to reflect the historical situation for the scenarios.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 929
RE: Bitmaps vs vectors - 5/6/2007 8:37:10 PM   
trees

["A Final Countdown" also features a brief shot of some guys playing Squad Leader. It would be a very popular scenario but I think the F-14s would need an a2A much higher than 15].

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Bitmaps vs vectors Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI