Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/30/2006 7:44:30 PM   
aquilante

Ciao!!
Hello !i'm Beppe from Turin,Italy....the only nation which has been able to equalize a war!.
I loved Asl, I have played with thin a Croix de guerre ... thanks for being there and you excuse my English....

"INTIMAS HOSTIUM VIAS IGNE PETIMUS""

"Soldiers! you will be like the avalanche that goes in climb destroying!!"
(Gen. Antonio Cascino,1ww 1915 near Gorizia)

(in reply to Gunter_Viezenz)
Post #: 271
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/31/2006 1:41:39 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: milo1047

I tried to sign up there, but it says my email address is banned.

quote:

Welcome to the community. You're just 18 years old? Warning -- hanging with some of these old guys can age you quickly.

Ha! I've been hanging out with olde guys since I got into history and wargaming.

We are looking into the email thing

Well I cannot even get any of the admins to reply to my emails so.....
My advise would be to try again

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 272
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/31/2006 2:15:18 AM   
Bernie

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome to the community. You're just 18 years old? Warning -- hanging with some of these old guys can age you quickly.

Ha! I've been hanging out with olde guys since I got into history and wargaming.

Due to the vast number of spammers we've had register at the Depot, we've had to ban all "freemail" mail accounts. This includes Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, Mail.ru, and a several others. It's unfair to the legitimate folks who want to join us, but "opening the floodgates" to the spammers again is unfair to the members we already have.

We ask that you please use an email address issued by your ISP, a work email, or some other email account of that nature. Once you are registered you can always request that your email account be changed to something else, but this helps keep our system from being inundated with spam messages and posts.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 273
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/31/2006 7:38:42 AM   
milo1047

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bernie

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Due to the vast number of spammers we've had register at the Depot, we've had to ban all "freemail" mail accounts. This includes Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, Mail.ru, and a several others. It's unfair to the legitimate folks who want to join us, but "opening the floodgates" to the spammers again is unfair to the members we already have.

We ask that you please use an email address issued by your ISP, a work email, or some other email account of that nature. Once you are registered you can always request that your email account be changed to something else, but this helps keep our system from being inundated with spam messages and posts.

Unfortunately, I only have a freemail account :(

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 274
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/31/2006 7:06:41 PM   
RERomine

quote:

Unfortunately, I only have a freemail account :(

What about Military.com web site? Doesn't cost anything, is free and not the typical free mail account.

(in reply to milo1047)
Post #: 275
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/1/2006 1:12:48 AM   
milo1047

I'll try that.

EDIT: Figured it out! I'm registered.

< Message edited by milo1047 -- 11/1/2006 3:29:44 AM >

(in reply to RERomine)
Post #: 276
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/1/2006 3:33:58 AM   
tracer

M,
I just went there and registered ...activating the e-mail account was a little tricky.

• Go to www.military.com and click on the 'Join Now for Free' link at upper-right
  • After registering (I used my Yahoo addy) I noticed that no confirmation message was sent, so I hit the 'Login' link and then the 'Problems logging in?' link, and recieved an e-mail with my password almost immediately.
  • Login and then click the 'My Account' link at the upper-right
  • Click the first link (A Your Personal Information), and you'll see the box to create your free e-mail account just below your birth-year...check it (you'll see a small box open notifying you that any account not checked for 60 days will be deleted), and then hit 'Save Update' at the bottom.
  • Now Logout and then Login again.
  • Go back to the [url]www.military.com[/url] homepage and click the e-mail link in the gray area at the upper-left.
  • You should now be good-to-go.

Jim NSB

(in reply to milo1047)
Post #: 277
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/1/2006 3:36:04 AM   
tracer

I gotta learn to type faster ...you snuck that last reply in 4 minutes ahead of mine!

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 278
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/1/2006 1:41:42 PM   
Korpraali V

Welcome back Gunter! Welcome aquilante!

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 279
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/1/2006 4:50:53 PM   
milo1047

quote:

ORIGINAL: tracer

I gotta learn to type faster ...you snuck that last reply in 4 minutes ahead of mine!

I'm sneaky like that

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 280
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 11/24/2006 12:54:31 AM   
jdepoe

I still need help. I understand if I purchase SPWAW I get 4 MEGA GAMES. What are the MEGA Games? are they all WW2? The free campains on the Free download see like a MEGA game. Are their other option in the mega games? I basicly play solo, so is their something I am not getting with a mega game? Will the Full version give me something I don't already have other than the Mega games?

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 281
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 11/24/2006 1:35:43 AM   
Alby

Mega Campaigns are
The Desert fox -Germans in the desert vs UK
Lost Victories -Germans Vs Russians east front
Watchtower -US/USMC vs Japan and
Screaming Eagles -US airborne infantry

Mega Camapgins are very large camapigns that can branch off into different directions depending on the outcome of yur battle, you will have to do a search to learn more perhaps.

(in reply to jdepoe)
Post #: 282
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 12/3/2006 1:55:07 AM   
Immortal

I was wondering the same thing...those 4 Mega campaign comes only if you purchase the game from Matrix site or are available somewhere for download?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 283
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 12/5/2006 5:04:56 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome jdepoe and Immortal!

Mega Campaigns come with the full purchase (they are actually the thing you'll buy since the game itself is free). IIRC they can be bought also separately. Check here:
http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/main.asp

(in reply to Immortal)
Post #: 284
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 12/13/2006 7:21:54 PM   
robpost3

Greetings everyone, I have been a "lurker?" here for a while... so I present myself for scrutiny, played board games, PNP (anyone rember snits revenge or traveller), when I was younger, did some dioramas when I was a lad, jeepers I must of spent days with my friends getting all the details right only to torch em with hair-spray (ah youth, wonder I survived it at all). Just started WW II 1/35 scale models again but its real slow going this time probably be dust collectors. Well anyway so much tell but I dont want to take all of your time so other than about me I will say again Greetings!!! What a great game!!! Great Forum!!! Thank you all have have what seems to me poured a good part of their heart and soul into this. It really does shine. I can see myself still finding new depth and strategies in this game as my beard grows and grays!

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.
"God Help us, and God, come yourself.
Don't send Jesus, this is no place for children."

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 285
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 12/13/2006 7:42:33 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: robpost3

Greetings everyone, I have been a "lurker?" here for a while... so I present myself for scrutiny, played board games, PNP (anyone rember snits revenge or traveller), when I was younger, did some dioramas when I was a lad, jeepers I must of spent days with my friends getting all the details right only to torch em with hair-spray (ah youth, wonder I survived it at all). Just started WW II 1/35 scale models again but its real slow going this time probably be dust collectors. Well anyway so much tell but I dont want to take all of your time so other than about me I will say again Greetings!!! What a great game!!! Great Forum!!! Thank you all have have what seems to me poured a good part of their heart and soul into this. It really does shine. I can see myself still finding new depth and strategies in this game as my beard grows and grays!

Welcome!!

(in reply to robpost3)
Post #: 286
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 1/23/2007 9:44:03 PM   
Korpraali V

Welcome robpost3! 

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 287
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 4/7/2007 5:48:51 AM   
Arctic Blast

Hey everybody! Just downloaded the game a week or so ago. Spent today reading the manual, and shall spend this evening trying out the tutorial scenarios and figuring things out. Never played any of the old Steel Panther games, which is surprising, since I was a pretty big fan of other SSI games. I've also been trying out the People's General WW2 mod recently, and was a big fan of the early Panzer General games, and Pacific General. I like the fact that this game involves both the European and Pacific theaters, since I do have interest in both, and most other titles I've come across limit themselves to one or the other. I would also like to find a decent modern-era combat game...they seem to be surprisingly rare. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

(in reply to steve#)
Post #: 288
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/11/2007 2:22:24 AM   
RB

Fosilll, if you can't get it to run on your system try launching it on an earlier Windows platform, that is, right click on the game icon and change the properties to Windows 98/ME compatibility. That might solve the hang problem.

See you in Berlin.

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 289
Reports as ordered. - 5/15/2007 12:34:20 AM   
chezpaul

Reports as ordered...

Hello All! Just downloaded SteelPanthers 8.2 Looks great! When I first fired it up, I was pleased to see the SSI logo. It brought back memories. I didn't know they were still around.

I'm an Air Force vet, living in the sticks of Indiana. I am new to Matrix Games & Steel Panthers, but not to wargaming. I have played many Avalon Hill / SSI games. I also have a lot of tabletop miniatures experience.

Just finished the first tutorial. Couldn't figure out how to load up my artillary to the half-track. So, I searched the directory and found the manual. If all else fails read the intructions... Time to fire up the printer. Wish me luck!

Only the dead know the end of war. Plato

(in reply to RB)
Post #: 290
RE: Reports as ordered. - 5/15/2007 12:40:03 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: chezpaul

Reports as ordered...

Hello All! Just downloaded SteelPanthers 8.2 Looks great! When I first fired it up, I was pleased to see the SSI logo. It brought back memories. I didn't know they were still around.

I'm an Air Force vet, living in the sticks of Indiana. I am new to Matrix Games & Steel Panthers, but not to wargaming. I have played many Avalon Hill / SSI games. I also have a lot of tabletop miniatures experience.

Just finished the first tutorial. Couldn't figure out how to load up my artillary to the half-track. So, I searched the directory and found the manual. If all else fails read the intructions... Time to fire up the printer. Wish me luck!

Hey welcome....dont forget to upgrade to latest version
What part of Indiana? I live about 30 miles south of Indy
I am also an old Air Force Vet...

< Message edited by Alby -- 5/15/2007 1:02:56 AM >

(in reply to chezpaul)
Post #: 291
RE: Reports as ordered. - 5/15/2007 12:46:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Welcome aboard chezpaul. The inevitable question must be asked: are you an M4 Fan, or a Tiger Kiddie?

BTW, one of my nephews is in Junior Air Force ROTC. Is doing well, too. Have high hopes for him to follow through with it.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 292
RE: Reports as ordered. - 5/15/2007 5:16:32 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome, Arctic Blast and chezpaul! 

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 293
RE: Reports as ordered. - 5/16/2007 3:45:00 AM   
chezpaul

Monrovia, not too far away. Small world huh?
I was planning to upgrade after I get a grasp on this version. Although I have DSL, out here in the sticks the pipeline gets a little strained. Half-Gig downloads still require the extra large bag of popcorn and a movie, while you wait...

I just replayed the 1st tutorial last night. I was delighted to discover how to tow my anti-tank gun. However, I found the theory of it's deployment, while on the offensive, easier than the execution. After the enemy was spotted, the halftrack towing said AT-gun needs to find a location where it can deploy the valuable AT-gun. It needs to provide it with a suitable line of site to the enemy tank(s) while also providing it with suitable cover. All the while it also needs to avoid op-fire from said enemy tanks... Easier said than done! Evidently the German tank commanders aren't completely stupid, they would much rather shoot the AT-gun all to heck while it's still being towed...lol To bad the "modern" artillery crews arn't able to prolong (push) their guns forward short distances.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 294
RE: Reports as ordered. - 5/16/2007 4:14:34 AM   
chezpaul

With all due defference to the marvels of German engineering*, dollar for dollar I'll take the M4 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. (Fireflys if I can find'em!)

As for JrAFROTC, I did something similar in High School. I went through the Civil Air Patrol. It gave me a lot of insight, as far as what I was about to get myself into. Particularly in the arena of leading young men. This is most usefull wherever life takes you; whether you become an officer, enlist, or enter civilian life.

*German engineering philosophy-
If something isn't working right, add a part.
If something isn't working at all, add an entire sub-assembly.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 295
RE: Reports as ordered. - 5/16/2007 4:23:04 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: chezpaul

Monrovia, not too far away. Small world huh?
I was planning to upgrade after I get a grasp on this version. Although I have DSL, out here in the sticks the pipeline gets a little strained. Half-Gig downloads still require the extra large bag of popcorn and a movie, while you wait...

Hell no thats real close!!!

(in reply to chezpaul)
Post #: 296
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/12/2007 1:04:31 AM   
StephanFH

Hello all,
I downloaded the game a couple of weeks ago and I'm about through with the tutorials. Do the Grognards have any suggestions for a campaign I can sink my teeth into? How about a suggested OOB for that campaign?

My background is in computers, but I have a minor in military history. I never served - a change in my eyesight washed me out of USMC PLC at Quantico. I'm originally from Sweden but have lived in the States most of my life. I've travelled much of the East Coast on business and visited battlefields when time allowed.

My gaming background goes back to Tactics II and is mostly Avalon Hill. I have played a few titles from SPI and GDW as well. I've also played tabletop miniatures a few times, mostly napoleonic and civil war.

My favorite computer wargames have been Panzer General and the Civilization series. Also X-Com, which is sci-fi but has a neat squad level combat system. My favorite board games are Russian Campaign, D-Day, and Squad Leader. I did the whole Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, and GI: Anvil, but never played ASL.

While playing SPWaW I've caught myself leaning towards the screen to check line of sight. It's nice not having to stretch a rubber band. Also nice not to knock over the stack with Cpt. Tienham, 3 8-3-8's, 6 LMG's, 3 DC's, and a flamethrower. Not to mention all the In-Motion and target acquisition counters.

I also have a couple of comments. I saw the question about arty air-bursts in the trees, but did not see a response - Is this calculated? I was surprised that MG's have no penetration through additional hexes, this was part of what made them deadly in SL.

Anyway, I'll await those suggestions. I'd like to play solo for a while before I take on any of you lot.

Steve

"the onset of Bayonets in the hands of the Valiant is irresistible..."
Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 297
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/12/2007 1:29:58 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: StephanFH

Hello all,
I downloaded the game a couple of weeks ago and I'm about through with the tutorials. Do the Grognards have any suggestions for a campaign I can sink my teeth into? How about a suggested OOB for that campaign?

My background is in computers, but I have a minor in military history. I never served - a change in my eyesight washed me out of USMC PLC at Quantico. I'm originally from Sweden but have lived in the States most of my life. I've travelled much of the East Coast on business and visited battlefields when time allowed.

My gaming background goes back to Tactics II and is mostly Avalon Hill. I have played a few titles from SPI and GDW as well. I've also played tabletop miniatures a few times, mostly napoleonic and civil war.

My favorite computer wargames have been Panzer General and the Civilization series. Also X-Com, which is sci-fi but has a neat squad level combat system. My favorite board games are Russian Campaign, D-Day, and Squad Leader. I did the whole Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, and GI: Anvil, but never played ASL.

While playing SPWaW I've caught myself leaning towards the screen to check line of sight. It's nice not having to stretch a rubber band. Also nice not to knock over the stack with Cpt. Tienham, 3 8-3-8's, 6 LMG's, 3 DC's, and a flamethrower. Not to mention all the In-Motion and target acquisition counters.

I also have a couple of comments. I saw the question about arty air-bursts in the trees, but did not see a response - Is this calculated? I was surprised that MG's have no penetration through additional hexes, this was part of what made them deadly in SL.

Anyway, I'll await those suggestions. I'd like to play solo for a while before I take on any of you lot.

Steve

Welcome sir.....
My first suggestion would be to download and play the "Enhanced" version of SPWAW...for more info on Enhanced go here...
SPWAW Enhanced Forum

Since you have computer background, it should be no problem at all for you to install it in minutes.
Hmmm a good campaign that is short and to get your teeth wet might be 'Balkan Crisis.'
Oh I also forgot to mention...many of the original campaigns that come with the game have been upgraded so as to play with the Enhanced Version of SPWAW.
You can find them all at the above mentioned link...
good gaming!

< Message edited by Alby -- 6/12/2007 1:31:24 AM >

(in reply to StephanFH)
Post #: 298
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/12/2007 2:11:20 AM   
vahauser

Steve,

SPWAW is different from Squad Leader.  Even though the graphics might look similar on a superficial level, SPWAW plays differently.  My advice is to treat SPWAW on its own merits.  Comparing SPWAW to any other game is apples and oranges.

Alby knows what campaigns have been upgraded to Enhanced DVRN.  He will be happy to link you to a list.  Balkan Crisis is a good introductory campaign.  You can also play some WW2 Long Campaigns for practice.  And after the WW2 Long Campaigns become too easy for you, then you can sink your teeth into some tough campaigns like Stalingrad and Long Long Road To Victory.

Happy Gaming,
Victor

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 299
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/12/2007 5:23:16 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome 

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI