Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Time is running out...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> Time is running out... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 1:22:13 AM   
Gil R.

The general lack of critical issues raised since the release of this second public patch suggests either that everyone's enjoying the nice weather (here in the western hemisphere; no idea what the weather in Britain or Croatia is like these days), or that the patch is pretty much ready. This suggests that we should not be taking too much longer before releasing the patch officially. So... are there any changes that you'd still like to see? We make no guarantees that they'll make it into this patch, but obviously we'd like to know.

Post #: 1
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 1:35:11 AM   
spruce

general casualties is not ok for instant and quick battles,

memphis is being hammered way too fast and way too intensive in the coming fury scenario. There's some magical combo to keep hold of Memphis - but it's a little too harsh for unexperienced players. And it ruins your game if you forget to say the magic words during the first turn.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:17:11 AM   
MarcusCSA

Bear with me, I've had a few beers....

I've just won my first game as the CSA (on the 4th or 5th difficulty level) and the following strike me as rather odd:

1) My ironclads get routed a lot by Union 'wood' ships (2 Ironclads vs. a fleet of 8 USN ships) and subsequently get killed/captured after the USA wins a sea battle. Not quite sure, but I thought historically, I should be able to 'plow' through 'wood' ships with my ironclads until numerically superior Union ironclad forces arrive. I know I shouldn't be able to destroy the entire Union Navy with 1 ironclad unit, but I created a fleelt with 2 of them and it just sat around, doing nothing, afraid of them being captured, at the end of my game I bought another 2, ready to destroy the USN, when I won the game. In the quick battle screen, they usually 'catch fire' and retreat, and are destroyed after battle.... a bit frustrating.

2) At one point, 4 of my Governors are requesting a Mfg. Center, maybe a bit too much, or bad luck, who knows?

3) The Union will press into Virginia, no matter the odds, I destroyed every single one of their armies, up to a point where Union armies attacked my 60.000 ANV (with another 60.000 under Beauregard sitting next door) with 20.000 soldiers. Maybe a bit ahistorical, but I love to encircle-destroy, leading to 'short innings' for the Union army.

4) Are the Governors of Arkansas and Georgia supposed to be actively sabotaging my war effort the entire time?, no pleasing these guys.

5) While I am campaigning in Missouri and Ohio, the Governor of Alabama apparantly needs 17 brigades, and the Governors of Tenessee needs 12..... their states being 8 and 5 provinces away, respectively, from the front. I can understand that they need some parading troops to show the folks back home, but why do they need them for 20 turns in a row (with my troops present)?

6) Whenever one of my Blockade Runners takes serious damage (say 6-8 points), it's destroyed (taking the full 10 and being removed from game) am I missing something here?

7) After building 2 more academies as CSA, I got 2 extra Generals and was able to promote 3-4 times, tops, where o where are my extra generals?

And now for the good parts:

1) I LOVE your game, it's what I've been thinking of 'why doesn't anyone make something like that?, it would be really cool!'.

2) the Union AI will try a lot of historical (and logical) things: Attack Virginia and get to Richmond. Blockade Southern Ports. Amphip. assault New Orleans (REALLY cool). Win by looting. Burn a patch through Georgia to the Sea. It won't help you in the end, Yankee!

3) as the CSA, you run out of guys (and very shortly after that, everything else), period. Make strategic choices and live with them! (Is what a strategy game should be all about).

4) The Army/Corps/Div an Generals system WORKS.

5) One minor interface suggestion: a 'you have built a new X unit' in the End of/Beginning of Turn report, when you've completed a new infantry, raiders, cavalry unit.

Ok, that's about it, please realize that this game is REALLY worth the money and has been keeping me from sleeping (and showing up half dead at work) for a week since the patch came out. Please keep up the good work!

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 3
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:18:37 AM   
MarcusCSA

One last thing I just realized.....

Surrendering Units are not counted properly in 'dead or captured' Summaries and Battle Statistics..... this is probably a hard one, but annoying for me, as I want to know what % of the enemy force I destroyed.

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 4
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:22:39 AM   
Gil R.

#2: Just this afternoon this was being discussed internally, and I plan to tweak the relevant file later tonight.

#4: Yes, indeed. Read the bios of those guys -- they were not exactly among Jefferson Davis's favorite governors.

#5: It might be good to have the game pay attention to where the front is when determining whether to make this sort of request, but there's no time to program that now. You should add it to the Wish List thread, so it doesn't fall through the cracks.

Eric will have to respond to the rest. Thanks for all your input!

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 5
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:29:02 AM   
MarcusCSA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

#2: Just this afternoon this was being discussed internally, and I plan to tweak the relevant file later tonight.

#4: Yes, indeed. Read the bios of those guys -- they were not exactly among Jefferson Davis's favorite governors.

#5: It might be good to have the game pay attention to where the front is when determining whether to make this sort of request, but there's no time to program that now. You should add it to the Wish List thread, so it doesn't fall through the cracks.

Eric will have to respond to the rest. Thanks for all your input!

First of all.... that was pretty damn fast... on a saturday.......

#4: I understand, but after I take my 200.000th POW, they must understand that I'm doing a pretty decent job in keeping their state out of harm's way.... ungrateful b^%&^%. In all seriousness, keep this in, it adds to the flavour of the game.

#5: I understand that there's no time to program all kinds of cool stuff stuff right now, don't worry, the game is really good as is. Now stop answering my posts and go drink some beer, it's weekend!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:32:34 AM   
Gil R.

Regarding #4, if you're doing so well but certain governors continue to oppose you, they'll be more likely to be defeated the next time they're up for reelection. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who enjoys seeing Gov. Brown go down to defeat...

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 7
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:49:35 AM   
spruce

quote:

Regarding #4, if you're doing so well but certain governors continue to oppose you, they'll be more likely to be defeated the next time they're up for reelection. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who enjoys seeing Gov. Brown go down to defeat...

quote, I agree that it's pretty historical to have that Brown guy to sabotage your war effort. But does he ever change his mind and help you ? I mean, during the game, you can fullfill all his demands and his loyalty never ever rises - how can you increase his loyalty or is this hardcoded. And as such - just do your best so he's ousted from office ?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:59:40 AM   
Gil R.

There's nothing hard-coded -- it's just that his starting attitude is SO low that there's almost zero chance of getting it to "firm ally" or better. If you really try, you can make an effort to promote Georgia generals whenever possible and always fulfill his requests the second he makes them, and that will help. Also, if the CSA is doing well his numbers should creep up. But he's never going to be as good a friend as Gov. Moore or some of the others.

And since he remained in office throughout the war and was a constant thorn in Davis's side, there's nothing wrong with that.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 9
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 3:28:04 AM   
PaulWRoberts

Don't forget the "negative loss" bug which actually *gives* men to high-quality/high-disposition units as attrition.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 4:29:51 AM   
Twotribes

I recall reading that if you meet Governors demands that helps them get reelected. If true then I would suggest you purposefully NOT do anything Governors so disloyal want.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 10:17:57 AM   
LeBlaque

I know this is an extra feature and hope it is LITTLE programming but I mentioned it previously...

Can we please have the STRENGTH number appear in the data box for each Brigade in Quick Battles??  I see other relevant stuff such as weapons they carry, Weapon Quick battle rating, special stats, their Quality, name, yada, yada, yada, but I don't know if I'm deploying 400 guys or 4,000 guys in a "Charge" row.  It would be very, very helpful...

Regards,
LeBlaque

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 2:00:23 PM   
spruce

quote:

There's nothing hard-coded -- it's just that his starting attitude is SO low that there's almost zero chance of getting it to "firm ally" or better. If you really try, you can make an effort to promote Georgia generals whenever possible and always fulfill his requests the second he makes them, and that will help. Also, if the CSA is doing well his numbers should creep up. But he's never going to be as good a friend as Gov. Moore or some of the others.

And since he remained in office throughout the war and was a constant thorn in Davis's side, there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree, but let me clarify on my piont. I have the impression that giving into their demands - we want a MFG center - doesn't (substantially) improve the relationship with that guy. And by giving into his demands, he'll be re-elected as governor.

I remember one game where I had neglected Brown all the way - eventually he was ousted from office. I remember one game where I tried to fullfill as many of his needs, but he kept being very negative (-85) and was re-elected.

That's why I was asking if his negative attitude is hardcoded - because I don't feel to have ever gained any trust (increase in relationship) with this "guy".

what relationshipbonus do you get from giving into their requests and demands ?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 3:04:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeBlaque
I know this is an extra feature and hope it is LITTLE programming but I mentioned it previously...
Can we please have the STRENGTH number appear in the data box for each Brigade in Quick Battles??  I see other relevant stuff such as weapons they carry, Weapon Quick battle rating, special stats, their Quality, name, yada, yada, yada, but I don't know if I'm deploying 400 guys or 4,000 guys in a "Charge" row.  It would be very, very helpful...

Good point. I don't know how easy or hard that would be, but I agree.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to LeBlaque)
Post #: 14
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 3:06:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

Meeting their request can improve their attitude, it depends on how quickly you meet them I believe (i.e. requests vs. insists). However, ignoring their requests does decrease their attitude. With that said, once a governor hits -85, he's pretty much lost to you until he's replaced in an election. It's the guys at +/- 20 that I tend to focus on improving.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 15
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 3:39:30 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Meeting their request can improve their attitude, it depends on how quickly you meet them I believe (i.e. requests vs. insists). However, ignoring their requests does decrease their attitude. With that said, once a governor hits -85, he's pretty much lost to you until he's replaced in an election. It's the guys at +/- 20 that I tend to focus on improving.

Learn From This.

Bloody Governors - Their the reason the North Lost The War.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 16
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 5:25:46 PM   
spruce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter

quote:

quote:

Learn From This.

Bloody Governors - Their the reason the North Lost The War.

hm, the South lost the war ?

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 17
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 5:30:17 PM   
MarcusCSA

Would anybody be able to clarify things on my points 1), 6) and 7) ?

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 18
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 7:16:54 PM   
Walloc

7) After building 2 more academies as CSA, I got 2 extra Generals and was able to promote 3-4 times, tops, where o where are my extra generals?

Hmm, im not quite sure what u mean, but i get the impression that u think academies and generals are link. As of 1.9.4 they arent. Exception is promotion of 5 star general.

Academies dont bearing on promotions any more, excpetion being 5 star. I suggests reading the readme on that point. Its now number of containers that decide number of promotions.

General come as specified in reincforment aka specific file regarding generals and their entry. This is totally seperate from Academies.

In regard to 6) . i dont think u missing any thing. Yes if u lose 7 or more its outright destroyed. In all other cases u can limp it back to a port and get it repaired. Which ofc takes time. I think its done this way to actually make runners destoyble. If less damage is done u just run back to a port repair, and rinse and repeat. That said that is my personal opinion on the matter.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/14/2007 12:57:04 AM >

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 19
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 8:01:11 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

hm, the South lost the war ?

Not in My reality they didn't. When both the British and the French Came into the war, the union had no chance.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 20
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 9:37:00 PM   
MarcusCSA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Hmm, im not quite sure what u mean, but i get the impression that u think academies and generals are link. As of 1.9.4 they arent. Exception is promotion of 5 star general.

Academies dont bearing on promotions any more, excpetion being 5 star. I suggests reading the readme on that point. Its now number of containers that decide number of promotions.

General come as specified in reincforment aka specific file regarding generals and their entry. This is totally seperate from Academies.

In regard to 6) . i dont think u missing any thing. Yes if u lose 8 or more its outright destroyed. In all other cases u can limp it back to a port and get it repaired. Which ofc takes time. I think its done this way to actually make runners destoyble. If less damage is done u just run back to a port repair, and rinse and repeat. That said that is my personal opinion on the matter.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Aha, ok, so what are acadamies used for then?

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 21
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 9:42:54 PM   
Twotribes

Academies train containers twice a year. Also I am not sure but they used to effect the starting potential for new containers also. ( the ratings).

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 22
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 10:02:32 PM   
Gil R.

From the draft of the documentation for the patch:

• Academies no longer determine the number of ranks of generals, except for 5-stars, which now requires 6 Academies. Ranks are now determined roughly proportional to of military groups a player has.

• Academies now train the ratings of a player's military groups; each Academy trains one military group in each of the May turns. Groups with lower ratings are trained before groups with higher ratings. No rating may be trained to be higher than Good.

And yes, I believe they still impact container ratings.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 23
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 10:19:39 PM   
Walloc

quote:

And yes, I believe they still impact container ratings.

I can confirm that beleive, by my expereince, that at 5+ academies u get the possibilty of 1 higher rating, on there after bought containers.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 24
RE: Time is running out... - 5/13/2007 10:57:40 PM   
ericbabe

Ships (including runners) are destroyed when their strength falls below 3.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 25
RE: Time is running out... - 5/14/2007 12:02:17 AM   
MarcusCSA

Alright, thx for clearing that up!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 26
RE: Time is running out... - 5/14/2007 1:19:19 PM   
ericbabe

The game does have governors more likely to request brigades in their states when their states border hostile states.

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 27
RE: Time is running out... - 5/14/2007 5:15:53 PM   
LeBlaque

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeBlaque

Good point. I don't know how easy or hard that would be, but I agree.

Pretty please???

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 28
RE: Time is running out... - 5/15/2007 3:39:59 PM   
DD696

Playing the latest beta, union side, coming fury balanced, started this morning I now have 2 Sykes and 2 Ellsworth brigades available to the union (save available). Also I reported in another thread that in my previous game Memphis disappeared from the map after it had changed hands several times (no save available).

Attachment (1)

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to LeBlaque)
Post #: 29
RE: Time is running out... - 5/15/2007 4:59:35 PM   
Walloc

The LU thing is known and on to do list as far as i know. Other is really needed a save game for, if i can read bewteen the lines. So if any1 has or gets one plz get a save/autosave.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> Time is running out... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI