Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/26/2007 11:33:51 PM   
Slayer_of_kings

Is it possible to manually mod the results/statistics (basically losses, troop strengths, morale levels,etc) of a battle/encounter?? Reason I ask is that I'd like to game some of these encounters using an outside lower-level grand tactical system (boardgames really) and then apply my results to the TOAWIII battle we're simulating. If it can be done and we are talking about an override, please tell me how.

MC

'Democracy... is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder; and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequals alike.' - Plato
Post #: 1
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/26/2007 11:43:19 PM   
JAMiAM

No. That is not something that TOAW is designed to do.

(in reply to Slayer_of_kings)
Post #: 2
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/27/2007 1:19:27 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Well . . . maybe it could be done using TOAW-ACOW. Since the ACOW sal file could be renamed as a sce file and then edited, he probably could redesign the scenario after a round of combat in order to simulate the results of the board game. The bigger problem might be finding a copy of TOAW-ACOW.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/27/2007 7:03:17 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Well . . . maybe it could be done using TOAW-ACOW. Since the ACOW sal file could be renamed as a sce file and then edited, he probably could redesign the scenario after a round of combat in order to simulate the results of the board game. The bigger problem might be finding a copy of TOAW-ACOW.
Regards, RhinoBones

Yeah, it's possible but it would be a time consuming little project. Even on the medium- sized scenarios practically all the units would have to have their supply, readiness, morale, etc. changed to reflect the results of the board game. Not something I would want to attempt. Although, this does sound like what Golden Delicious was doing for a Scenario which I think was Europe Aflame.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 4
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/27/2007 7:24:36 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Yeah, it's possible but it would be a time consuming little project.

Maybe time isn’t the deciding factor. After all, making all of the AARs that you do is a time consuming labor of love . . . this would probably be much of the same thing. Possibly a lot like the Grand Strategy game that Turner runs.

BTW – What happened to the beard? Don’t recognize you anymore!

BTW #2 – I expect to be back in Tucson for a four day conference in October. How about we have dinner and another bottle of wine.

At company expense of course!

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/27/2007 7:50:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

quote:

Yeah, it's possible but it would be a time consuming little project.

Maybe time isn’t the deciding factor. After all, making all of the AARs that you do is a time consuming labor of love . . . this would probably be much of the same thing. Possibly a lot like the Grand Strategy game that Turner runs.

BTW – What happened to the beard? Don’t recognize you anymore!

I've still got it. It just turned white. Getting older you know.

quote:

BTW #2 – I expect to be back in Tucson for a four day conference in October. How about we have dinner and another bottle of wine.

At company expense of course!

Regards, RhinoBones

Sounds good to me. Let's go to YOUR favorite place. I got us lost the last time I suggested a place.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/29/2007 2:26:04 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Yeah, it's possible but it would be a time consuming little project. Even on the medium- sized scenarios practically all the units would have to have their supply, readiness, morale, etc. changed to reflect the results of the board game. Not something I would want to attempt. Although, this does sound like what Golden Delicious was doing for a Scenario which I think was Europe Aflame.

I was doing something which involved a similar process, but at the end of the scenario rather than halfway through a turn. It would indeed be a rather involved process to do what Slayer_of_kings has in mind with TOAW.

This would be the process, for each combat round in which you wished to use the tactical module;
a) save the game before resolving combats
b) convert the save to a .SCE file
c) open the .SCE file in the editor
d) manually copy the relevant data from the .SCE file to the tactical module
e) resolve the tactical battle(s)
f) re-input the ammended data into TOAW. Note that no units can be added or removed from the OOB if even a single unit is divided for either force. So if a unit is "eliminated" in TOAW terms, you will have to manually reduce its TO&E to 0% (leaving 1 peice of equipment to prevent the game from breaking) and voluntarily disband it in-game. The unit might have to be moved to an off-map area to prevent it interfering with movement.
g) move units as necessary
h) fix the start turn and scenario length in the calendar editor
i) disable all events which have already triggered and should not trigger again
j) add the number of elapsed turns (minus 1) to the value of all turn-based event triggers.
k) begin the game as a new scenario

There will still be problems with this. The % turn elapsed will be reset so you will have to fudge something if you want to be able to use multiple rounds. The number of movement points expended will also be reset. Events which are set to trigger with a delay or a turn range may not survive the process.

If you are willing to simulate every battle in your tactical engine, you could try using Cyberboard instead for the operational elements. Alternatively, you could use TOAW as a simplified tactical engine each time you wanted to automatically resolve a battle, setting up the units from the Cyberboard map in a special TOAW scenario. I suspect both these methods would also be rather cumbersome, however.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/29/2007 5:38:44 PM   
Curtis Lemay

You also have to re-number the arrival dates of all reinforcements and re-number the start and end dates for all replacements.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 8
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/29/2007 9:24:17 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

You also have to re-number the arrival dates of all reinforcements and re-number the start and end dates for all replacements.

True. Also the activation turns for any formations which have static orders.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 9
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/29/2007 11:27:52 PM   
Slayer_of_kings

Wow!! Thanks alot Golden, I'll run T3 and see if it works for me (knock on wood). I know about cyberboard and am also designing an alternate game/scenario for that as well.

'If you are willing to simulate every battle in your tactical engine'

I don't think every encounter, only the those that my selected HQ has close-ranged operational control over.

Thanks again, lemme see how it works, I may have more questions, if you don't mind.

'Democracy... is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder; and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequals alike.' - Plato

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 10
RE: How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? - 5/30/2007 2:29:08 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slayer_of_kings

Wow!! Thanks alot Golden, I'll run T3 and see if it works for me (knock on wood).

Note the remarks made by other people; you can't convert a .SAL file to a .SCE file in TOAW III, this only works in ACOW. Though this may change in the future as I have discussed exactly this sort of process with Ralph.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Slayer_of_kings)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> How to I modify/change the statistics of a battle?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI