Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to open .SRF files?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Carriers at War Support >> How to open .SRF files? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to open .SRF files? - 6/10/2007 9:16:22 PM   
Blond_Knight

How to open .SRF files?
Post #: 1
RE: How to open .SRF files? - 6/10/2007 10:01:16 PM   
Staggerwing

I posted about this in the general forum
The original CAW images were .lbm IIRC.
There were templates to build on and a great deal
of extra artwork on the disk.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 2
RE: How to open .SRF files? - 6/11/2007 3:00:54 AM   
alexs

Hi Guys,
SRF is our new resource file format. In Essence, just a compilations of individial resources: ie pictures (usually in png format), sounds, animations etc. They can be viewed and updated from the resource editor screen (go to editor/resources).
If i remember correctly, texture resources (ie pictures) can be extracted (as im in the middle of a move, my normal computer is packed up), and saved as an image file.
   We plan on creating a tutorial on how to use the editor for adding a new ship class and plane types (which i assume you are trying to do). If you give me more of an idea about what your trying to do, i can maybe give you a bit more direction.

Alex

(in reply to Staggerwing)
Post #: 3
RE: How to open .SRF files? - 6/11/2007 3:12:29 AM   
Staggerwing

I'm mostly interested in doing the unusual stuff like flying-deck cruisers (a'la
the original CCAW editor tutorial), Pikecrete CVs, ZRSs, catapult merchantmen,
maybe Godzilla-who knows? I'm aware most of this probably won't work correctly
but it might still be fun

(in reply to alexs)
Post #: 4
RE: How to open .SRF files? - 6/11/2007 3:20:37 AM   
CJMello63

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexs
If i remember correctly, texture resources (ie pictures) can be extracted (as im in the middle of a move, my normal computer is packed up), and saved as an image file.

Yep, just tried it.

< Message edited by CJMello63 -- 6/11/2007 3:21:57 AM >

(in reply to alexs)
Post #: 5
Hello alexs - 6/11/2007 5:32:46 PM   
Semachus

First I love this game...

Second...I was wondering as well on how to do some tweaking with the editor.
For example...for a Midway scenario in which there was no Corel Sea. Therefore the Japanese would have the other two fleet carriers available and that the Lady Lex would be available to the US player. Could not these ships be available in the editor? Or maybe there was something I was not aware of that could be done...

Thanks again for the release of this game....

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 6
RE: Hello alexs - 6/11/2007 9:04:31 PM   
Semachus

....while I am looking at the editor...I am also looking at the instructions in the manual. Hmmm....me thinks I will have to create a new Midway scenario and Coral Sea scenario from the bottom up (to add the additional carriers for example) to do what I would like to do... OK I will give that a try....

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 7
RE: Hello alexs - 6/12/2007 2:25:38 AM   
alexs

A quick - off the top of my head as my computer is packed - guide to this. 
We do this kind of thing in the editor all the time. If you'll notice the enterprise variant for Coral Sea, you'll see that the enterprise ship, and it's squadrons, are added to the scenario information - then in the warroom editor, if you view the historical warroom, you'll see a 'delete forces' action in one of the us startup cards.
So if it was me doing this, i'd first create a copy of Midway (so you can play around without effecting the original). Then you would add the ship type, and then ship (assigning it to an existing taskgroup, or beforehand creating a taskgroup for it and assigning it to that). Then you'd add any squadrons that would have been present. And lastly (if the extra ship is on a side controlled by the AI), you'd have to create some AI to run it. That would be the bonus of adding the ship to a taskgroup that already exists - there would be some existing AI for it, so you'd only have to modify whats there to take advantage of the new forces.

(in reply to Semachus)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Carriers at War Support >> How to open .SRF files? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI