Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited ***

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/14/2007 3:03:49 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I case you didn't know, I've been a member of the Pacific War forum almost since its inception. I'm really looking forward to "The Pacific" miniseries. Much of it will be filmed in Australia.

Any idea of what this miniserie title will be, or where to look at informations about it ?

Check my first post in this thread for info and links.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 31
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/20/2007 9:35:20 AM   
Fredk

quote:

I like the fact they used relatively unknown actors. Made it feel more authentic.

Yes, I particularly enjoy that part where little known cult actor Jimmy Fallon shows up in the jeep as says, "Ok guys, you're surrounded - and now for the fake news..." . Honestly, that came very close to ruining the whole series for me.

Also, don't get me wrong I love the series, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any criticism of the over all hokey nature of the series and the blatant hagiography of the American soliders. After all it is well known that Ambrose was a lot better at writing what the general public wanted to hear than a fair account of what actually happened.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 32
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/20/2007 3:27:26 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fredk

quote:

I like the fact they used relatively unknown actors. Made it feel more authentic.

Yes, I particularly enjoy that part where little known cult actor Jimmy Fallon shows up in the jeep as says, "Ok guys, you're surrounded - and now for the fake news..." . Honestly, that came very close to ruining the whole series for me.

Also, don't get me wrong I love the series, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any criticism of the over all hokey nature of the series and the blatant hagiography of the American soliders. After all it is well known that Ambrose was a lot better at writing what the general public wanted to hear than a fair account of what actually happened.

I always consider war movies and series like this one to be representative of what happened in the war. Nothing more, nothing less, despite any factual claims of the movie makers.

This series works, at least for me on that basis.

Yes, there will always be inconsistencies and errors in everything.

Perhaps I am a bit more forgiving, but I try not to let a 15 second sentence ruin a 10 hour series for me.

(in reply to Fredk)
Post #: 33
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/20/2007 9:18:50 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

I guess it depends on what you want to see. I noticed the opposite. For every Winters there was a Nix (demoted for drinking), Spiers (looter and possible war criminal), Peacock and Seames (incompetent) and Sink (glory seeker). It does follow the standard hollywood convention of "Officer . . Bad . . . NCO . . . Good". That hardly makes the series an exception.

As to whether or not Ambrose wrote an accurate description of what happened . . . I don't know. I will now step out of the line of fire.

< Message edited by anarchyintheuk -- 6/20/2007 9:20:58 PM >

(in reply to Fredk)
Post #: 34
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/21/2007 1:18:19 AM   
Fredk

Eh, fair comment anarchyintheuk, but I felt like most of those things seemed pretty contrived - as in the producer/director look at the story and thought, "Well, no one is going to buy this load of Ambrose 'Greatest Generation' BS so we better dirty it up a bit." Seems like they just papered over the "Here are brave boys come to save the day," story line with a few, "Oh look, they're aren't perfect," moments.

On the Spears thing, I felt like they made it pretty clear at the end that he hadn't killed the prisoners and was just using that rumour to his advantage. 

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 35
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/21/2007 1:25:57 AM   
dexbox

incredible series, i just rewatched it recently as well, i cant think of a mini series since that has came close to being as good as b.o.b

(in reply to Fredk)
Post #: 36
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/21/2007 1:28:07 AM   
CJMello63

The Pacific theater one should come close.

(in reply to dexbox)
Post #: 37
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/21/2007 1:49:50 AM   
dexbox

i havent heard anything about it, what's it about??

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 38
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/21/2007 4:32:17 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

I guess it depends on what you want to see. I noticed the opposite. For every Winters there was a Nix (demoted for drinking), Spiers (looter and possible war criminal), Peacock and Seames (incompetent) and Sink (glory seeker). It does follow the standard hollywood convention of "Officer . . Bad . . . NCO . . . Good". That hardly makes the series an exception.

As to whether or not Ambrose wrote an accurate description of what happened . . . I don't know. I will now step out of the line of fire.

Movies and such are subjective, but I do agree with you. I tended to look at some of the characters as archetypes.

There are great trainers, or people who do well in school work, but who aren't good doing practical things in the field, such as the Captain Sobel.

Winters, although based on a real character, reminded me of that quiet, competent person you could depend on, etc...

Dale Dye was great as always. Here is a commander I would gladly follow into battle. He just seems like the type of guy who will never get a scratch....

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 39
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/21/2007 4:35:07 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dexbox

Check for info in the first post in this thread.

(in reply to dexbox)
Post #: 40
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/21/2007 4:36:23 AM   
CJMello63

quote:

ORIGINAL: dexbox

Multi part mini series based on the PTO. Focusing on I think 4 marines and their various battles throughout the Pacific.

IMDB Link

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/hanks-and-spielbergs-pacific-mini-series-lands-its-three-leads/

(in reply to dexbox)
Post #: 41
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/22/2007 1:53:49 AM   
dexbox

that looks like it has alot of potential (sorry i didnt realize it was earlier in the thread, im terribly lazy, next time i'll check better haha)

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 42
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/23/2007 2:27:51 AM   
Arctic Blast

If it's got the same kind of production values associated with it as BoB did, it should be pretty good.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to dexbox)
Post #: 43
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 6/26/2007 3:32:40 AM   
Mad Cow

wow, this is the first I've ever heard of this one! Thanks for the tip. 

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 44
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 7/29/2007 6:34:48 AM   
Arctic Blast

Well, finally got the BoB box set for my birthday. Watched the first 7 parts last night, leaving the last 3, and the special features disc, for this evening. Outstanding stuff. My favorite part is probably still Part 6 : Bastogne, which is the one that really focuses on Eugene Coe, the medic. I can't really put my finger on why I like that one so much, there's just something there that works for me, I guess.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 45
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 7/29/2007 7:43:42 AM   
Bloodybucket28th

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

...You know, this thread reminds me: a few weeks ago I was on another forum and saw some posts by people complaining that the story told was somewhat inaccurate, in that Ambrose pretty much highlighted the performance of one unit and thus minimized the roles played by other units in the same battles and theaters. Does anyone out there think there's something to this?

I think there is something to that. In general, certain units (the Airborne divisions, the Marine Corps, Third Army) get more film and ink spilled over them because of the perception that they are elite. To some extent, this is true, but you could make a strong case that the popular perception that the 101st "saved Bastogne" ignores the sacrifices made by the regular infantry divisions that faced the initial German assault against fantastic odds and performed magnificently before being overwhelmed. In BoB, the only picture that we get of this is of shell shocked, retreating GIs handing over ammo to our Airborne heroes.

Did that happen? Sure, but that's only part of the story. Part of it is the fact that the 101st did a great job while surrounded (a surrounded force is always a popular one in the media if they win out, and the "Nuts!" line is a classic sound bite), part of it is because the division in that sector, the 28th ID, was so badly demolished that most of the stories of heroics were witnessed by dead men and POWs, and the US Army was more comfortable praising "the cavalry that came in the nick of time and survived" than the division that was smashed buying that time because of bad Intel and poor army planning.

Read "Alamo in the Ardennes" for a pretty good picture of what the 28th did in front of Bastogne, and why so few people know about it.

BoB is an outstanding series, but anytime a particular unit or fighting man gets the media limelight, I think that taking care not to underestimate the contributions of others is in order.

In fact, I think that a major production about some non glamorous units like the 106th ID in the Bulge, the terrible waste of men in the Huertgen Forest that was perpetuated by inept leadership, the Marines paying such a high toll in blood for Tarawa when Betio island was used for squat afterwords, etc. would be a nice change from the usual focus on the upside of what the US armed forces did in WWII.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 46
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 7/29/2007 7:54:44 AM   
ilovestrategy

My wife was so sick of me watching it over and over and over on HBO on demand

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 47
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 7/29/2007 10:08:08 AM   
JudgeDredd

I really liked the medic one as well. Like you, I can't put my finger on it...but it was the very best out of the best series ever.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 48
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 7/29/2007 11:24:56 AM   
Plodder

I've always thought the next one in the series(the one that concentrates on Lipton) was the best one.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 49
RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** - 7/29/2007 11:30:48 AM   
JudgeDredd

See...there you go reminding me!! I like that one also...still prefer the medic one, but it goes to show how quality the program was!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: *** Band of Brothers - Revisited *** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI