Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

B17@Midway

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> B17@Midway Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
B17@Midway - 6/12/2007 8:03:43 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

The game has B-17D deployed to Midway.

It should be B17E

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Attachment (1)

Government is the opiate of the masses.
Post #: 1
RE: B17@Midway - 6/13/2007 12:21:29 AM   
blastpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

The game has B-17D deployed to Midway.

It should be B17E

Maybe so, but they still won't hit a darn thing!

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 2
RE: B17@Midway - 6/13/2007 1:46:22 AM   
jazman

I was wondering about that.

There are some US marking anomalies, as well. Those B-17Ds have the early-war markings, and then the PBY Catalinas have the late-war Star-and-Bars. Hmm.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 3
RE: B17@Midway - 6/14/2007 8:31:27 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I really didn't pay much attention to the model number until I was examining some post mortem data, and discovered that the Japanese CAP was reported as having destroyed virtually all the Allied B-17, so I figured the victims must have been the "D" model (without tail guns, as depicted in the game's art). Even the earlier model was hard for Zeros to shoot down, BTW. The fighter's twin 20mm cannon had a low muzzle velocity and the shells dropped like rocks. They worked well enough in close, but their effectiveness declined precipitiously as the range opened, as was the attackers preferred stance when engaging anything with tailguns. Throw in the fact that the A6M2 only carried 60 rounds of cannon ammo, and you've got a truly anemic bomber-killer. I've often thought that the best thing to have done with a B-17 at Midway was to simply go bombless, load up with extra ammo, and then fly back and forth across the KB in formation, meting out futility to the approaching samurai/incendiaries. Would've made a heck of a show.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 6/14/2007 8:33:13 AM >

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 4
RE: B17@Midway - 6/14/2007 2:02:46 PM   
blastpop

quote:

I really didn't pay much attention to the model number until I was examining some post mortem data, and discovered that the Japanese CAP was reported as having destroyed virtually all the Allied B-17, so I figured the victims must have been the "D" model (without tail guns, as depicted in the game's art). Even the earlier model was hard for Zeros to shoot down, BTW. The fighter's twin 20mm cannon had a low muzzle velocity and the shells dropped like rocks. They worked well enough in close, but their effectiveness declined precipitiously as the range opened, as was the attackers preferred stance when engaging anything with tailguns. Throw in the fact that the A6M2 only carried 60 rounds of cannon ammo, and you've got a truly anemic bomber-killer. I've often thought that the best thing to have done with a B-17 at Midway was to simply go bombless, load up with extra ammo, and then fly back and forth across the KB in formation, meting out futility to the approaching samurai/incendiaries. Would've made a heck of a show.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Same thing happened to me to with my game of Midway. The B17's can't hit anything and make juicy targets as the scenario stands. Might be better to send them off against surface forces to increase survivability if such a force has been spotted and in range.

Post #: 5
RE: B17@Midway - 6/14/2007 2:03:25 PM   
NimitsTexan

There should be a mix of B-17Ds and B-17Es (mostly Es) at Midway. But that is not the only error. The Wake Island Scenario has G4Ms, when in reality they should be G3Ms.

Post #: 6
RE: B17@Midway - 6/14/2007 3:52:17 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

There was, indeed, a B-17D at Midway, belonging to the 349th Bomb Squadron. Records indicate the presence of sixteen B-17E.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

(in reply to NimitsTexan)
Post #: 7
RE: B17@Midway - 6/23/2007 2:25:35 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

This is paining me mightily.

I went to try and edit the Midway scenario with an eye toward upgrading this bird, and found that the B17D is the only model included in the game.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Oh, the horror...the horror.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: B17@Midway - 6/23/2007 3:59:04 AM   
Unhappy

Here is a screen capture of a B-17E I made a resource file for. I'd post the .srf file if I could figure out how to do so. It doesn't look as good as the graphics included with the game but it is functional.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: B17@Midway - 6/23/2007 8:14:06 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Hey, the art's awesome, particularly when compared to my Colonel Kurtz.

Now just give it a tail-gun, power-turrets, self-sealing fuel tanks and the USAAF shall rule!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Edit: As was the case IRL, it doesn't really have to hit anything. Still, it'll scare the **** out of those little, gnat thingies.

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 6/23/2007 8:15:50 AM >

(in reply to Unhappy)
Post #: 10
RE: B17@Midway - 6/23/2007 8:33:10 AM   
Kiwi Red One

Nice work Unhappy, looks very nice.

Any chance of sharing the steps you went through to create your B-17E file? Really appreciate it if you could

Cheers
KRO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unhappy

Here is a screen capture of a B-17E I made a resource file for. I'd post the .srf file if I could figure out how to do so. It doesn't look as good as the graphics included with the game but it is functional.

(in reply to Unhappy)
Post #: 11
RE: B17@Midway - 6/23/2007 12:50:01 PM   
Marcus Caelius

quote:

I went to try and edit the Midway scenario with an eye toward upgrading this bird, and found that the B17D is the only model included in the game.

IIRC from the original editor, you could add in your own aircraft. Come to think of it, I remember adding PT boats to the database in CAW.

Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of anything is almost always the most boring one imaginable."

Post #: 12
RE: B17@Midway - 6/23/2007 6:17:25 PM   
Unhappy

I will post the steps I went through to create the resource file in the modding forum.

(in reply to Kiwi Red One)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> B17@Midway Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI