Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Who is still playing UV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> RE: Who is still playing UV Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/14/2007 2:51:17 PM   
ChuckK

I've read all the new CAW threads and remembered how much I wished the old CAW had a campaign system--makes me want to reload, patch, and play UV again. I've got lots of good PBEM memories with UV.

< Message edited by ChuckK -- 6/14/2007 2:52:09 PM >

Saratoga CV-3
One of 3 U.S. pre-war carriers to survive WWII
Awarded 7 battle stars
Torpedoed on two separate occasions
Hit by 6 bombs, holed twice, on 2-17-45
Sunk at Bikini Atoll, '46, after enduring 2nd A-Bomb test
She was a tough Lady!

(in reply to GoofTrooper)
Post #: 31
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/15/2007 2:33:13 PM   
sherlock1

Playing UV since it was available, and still enjoy it to this day. Except for the few additional campaigns, from others, I hoped a addon from the developers would have happened. Shame it was never done

Post #: 32
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/15/2007 4:05:11 PM   
Warfare1

Yes, I still play UV. It has never left my hard drive, and is a great, accessible, fun game.

(in reply to sherlock1)
Post #: 33
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/16/2007 7:32:55 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

I hadn't played for about 3 years. Just started 2 PBEM games, I am having a lot of fun( but I'm not sure about my opponents )

< Message edited by Cpt Sherwood -- 6/16/2007 7:33:06 PM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 34
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/25/2007 12:03:18 PM   
Sergeant

I'm just 6 days into scenario 16 with the new 2.5 update.  Always did like UV.  This is about my fourth PBEM campaign with UV.

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 35
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/26/2007 10:38:23 AM   
char

Just getting into it again after playing when it first came out (hoping to start some PBEM games soon). It was a little too much for me but I've since advanced as a wargamer (both computer and board). I might move on to WPO at some point but I don't know if I'll ever make the leap to WitP. Too many other games to play when considering the time required, and the touch of "angst" I sense in the WitP forums scares me away.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 36
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/26/2007 9:32:58 PM   
Ike99

Hi Char...

What is "angst"

(in reply to char)
Post #: 37
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/26/2007 9:56:58 PM   
char

"Angst" is anxiety or frustration.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 38
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/26/2007 11:53:09 PM   
Ike99

quote:

"Angst" is anxiety or frustration.

Agreed.

A quick stroll through some of todays post found this...

quote:

I think that the point is less so much the "Zero Bonus" as that the A to A model itself is "dorked".

&

quote:

The game programmers don't understand about how the Army works, and simulate unrealistic levels of local command autonomy. Just wait until you experience ground combat.

Lot's of comments like these down there.

Myself, I think they are house ruling the game to death.

For example most won't let the Allied player bomb Japanese ships with 4E's below 10,000ft. Why not?

They say there too powerfull and point one event at Midway where only 9 B17's bombing from 12,000ft missed!

Well that's all fine and good but they totally forget the Japanese convoy that left Rabaul going to Lae in March 43'.

B17's certainly smashed these moving ships and these ships had CAP over them.

As well, In just six weeks 8-10 B17's a day demolished fortress Rabaul.

B17's were that powerful,couldn't hit moving ships? I think that's nonsense.

I wouldn't feel very safe in a convoy with 25 B17's at 6,000ft flying my way. Would you?

Maybe there are some down on that forum trying to twist the game more to the way they want it than the way it actually was.

Just a thought.

(in reply to char)
Post #: 39
RE: Who is still playing UV - 6/27/2007 4:41:39 AM   
char

Exactly. Interesting that WPO doesn't seem to have these kinds of responses from players. That's the advantage of gaming hypothetical conflicts I guess.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 40
RE: Who is still playing UV - 7/26/2007 2:35:24 AM   
crsutton

I really just started my first WITP campaign. It actually is quite addictive once you take the plunge. WPO is also very nice and really less complicated due to the lack of aircraft in any numbers. There is a South Pacific scenario in WITP that resembles UV but due to some subtile differences, the Allies can't win (all things being equal) I worked up a modified scenario that gives some balance to the Allies. You can get it on Spooky's site.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 41
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/8/2007 5:19:38 PM   
hank

OK, you can add me to the list of those who are still playing UV.  ... since I just bought it.  It should arrive next week. 

So after a week or two of sparring with the AI, I'll be ready for a pbem.  (... or it could be characterized as:  I'll be ready for a whippin')

later

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 42
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/8/2007 5:49:55 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank
... So after a week or two of sparring with the AI, I'll be ready for a pbem.  (... or it could be characterized as:  I'll be ready for a whippin') ...

It took me several months to really get the feel of this game, but the first thing you should do is patch-up to 2.5, although I understand some pbem players haven't done this.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 43
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/8/2007 10:32:57 PM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlipTrac_511

I've barely fired up UV and getting the hang of things.  Had it since it came out though.

Thats about the nearest to my situation.

I am still playing my FIRST game ( vs. AI ) - but the truth is the last turn was played around when the 2.41 patch was first out !!!

You all seem to be getting on without major problems so I must get back to it soon. Just got two other games ( Advanced Civilization & Legion ) to finish first. Oh and I want to start another Shogun Total War campaign too so I can conquer Japan again!

(in reply to FlipTrac_511)
Post #: 44
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/13/2007 5:14:24 PM   
hank

Just to verify:  Patch 2.5 ... Is it a comprehensive patch or do I need to download all the other ones and patch it up in order?

I hope its comprehensive ... I have it downloaded and burned on a CD ... awaiting the arrival this week.

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 45
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/13/2007 7:41:24 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Just to verify: Patch 2.5 ... Is it a comprehensive patch or do I need to download all the other ones and patch it up in order? I hope its comprehensive ... I have it downloaded and burned on a CD ... awaiting the arrival this week.

Hi Hank.

Yes 2.5 is all you need.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 46
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/13/2007 8:27:08 PM   
spence

Since getting into WitP I've kinda let UV fall by the wayside. One advantage of UV is the smaller investment of time required to play the game/make a move though and I miss that.

(in reply to ChuckK)
Post #: 47
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/24/2007 6:57:06 PM   
Joe D.

Are there any real advantages in playing WitP vs. UV, or is it just a larger version of the latter?

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 48
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/26/2007 8:39:55 AM   
bradfordkay

WITP has a lot of new mission types for task forces, which gives even more depth to the gameplay, and I do miss those when I play UV. BUt I find it fun to run a few days of UV while waiting for my PBEM opponent to process a turn.

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 8/26/2007 8:40:31 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 49
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/27/2007 9:17:33 AM   
Krec

just put this baby on my new comp ,  ready to play again,  need a battle ,

please email. 

Krec

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 50
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/27/2007 3:16:46 PM   
Joe D.

Many play UV by PBEM, but does anyone play WitP vs. the AI, or is it too unwieldy at that large a scale?

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Post #: 51
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/28/2007 7:59:40 AM   
bradfordkay

The AI in WITP will do okay as the Japanese for the first six months to a year, but it has a tendency to get fixated on a single problem and throw away its assets on a lost cause if you can stop any invasion with land based air units.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 52
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/28/2007 3:07:50 PM   
Joe D.

WitP's wasting of assets sounds like Yamamotto's dispersion plan for the invasion of Midway.

I've also noticed that in some scenarios, UV's AI will fixate on Guadalcanal even after it becomes untenable, but it eventually throws in the towel; however, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to do next.

But UV has a working campaign editor that can assign multiple priority and secondary objectives; I've used it to defeat myself in the Yam's Prophecy scenario; I got the AI to (too) quickly develop the 'Canal while sending fast cruisers to bombard Port Morseby.

Apparently WitP doesn't have this editor.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Post #: 53
RE: Who is still playing UV - 8/29/2007 12:57:59 AM   
Canoerebel

I hung on with UV until 8/06 when I finished what turned out to be my last game (with Miller).  I bought WitP in 3/06, but didn't start playing until 5/07.  It's quite similar to UV, but on such a large scale that you have far more options (in UV the Japs basically have three strategies:  Australia (nearly hopeless), Luganville (possible for auto victory), or Defense (hopeless).  With WitP you have many more options, which is great.  I've only played the Allies to date.  Each turn for the first week takes alot of time because you have alot of orders to give.  But now I can turn around most turns in about 30 to 45 minutes.  I don't know how anyone could enjoy playing UV or WitP against the AI.   

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 54
RE: Who is still playing UV - 9/1/2007 10:25:45 PM   
Ike99

quote:

or Defense (hopeless).

A Japanese defensive strategy is hopeless you say?! Hopeless as in NO chance of victory?!

I do not disagree with you Canoerebel. You have been through the entire campaign a few times and I have not. I'm testing this hypothesis currently in two games though.

But as the victory levels are the same for almost every scenario certainly there are going to be problems with victory balance levels in some scenarios.

Looking at the rule book here it says....

quote:

Allied Decisive Victory: Allied VP Score >= Japanese VP Score x 1.25

Allied Marginal Victory: Allied VP Score >= Japanese VP Score x 1.05

Draw Allied VP Score < Japanese VP Score x 1.05 and
Allied VP Score x 1.05 > Japanese VP Score

Japanese Marginal Victory: Allied VP Score x 1.05 <= Japanese VP Score

Japanese Decisive Victory: Allied VP Score x 1.25 <= Japanese VP Score or Conditions for Instant Japanese Victory Achieved

Now being someone who has been through the Campaign a couple times how would you modify these victory conditions for say scenarios 17&19?

In your game with Miller at the end did you feel he played the much better game than you and he should have won or do you feel you played better and deserved the victory. If you felt he should have been given the victory how would you change the victory modifiers and by how much?

What was the final score in that game....do you remember?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> RE: Who is still playing UV Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI