Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No VP for Little Rock Capture

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> No VP for Little Rock Capture Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/8/2007 8:45:18 AM   
LeBlaque

Playing a PBEM game as USA and took Little Rock Arkansas with an Encircle Siege in June '62. Have garrisoned with one Bge and city has about 32% Defense. Own all but two provinces now in Arkansas. Am actually building a mine in L.R. per request of governor...

UNFORTUNATELY, I have not been give ANY victory points for taking L.R. Ark. I thought it might be related to Unrest but the province containing L.R. is no longer in Unrest...

I "think" I saw this issue once before in the beta patch but can't be sure....

Is there something I am missing or is this a serious bug?

Regards,

LeBlaque
Post #: 1
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/8/2007 8:59:02 AM   
LeBlaque

I've e-mailed the last five save game turns from both sides to ericbabe...that should cover the transition from CSA to USA

LeBlaque

(in reply to LeBlaque)
Post #: 2
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/8/2007 3:48:05 PM   
ericbabe

I just stepped through one of the save files you sent.  In the scenario you're playing, Little Rock seems to start the scenario as a Union city -- that's what the debugger seems to indicate at least; as such, when it is under Union control it provides no victory points to the Union.

(in reply to LeBlaque)
Post #: 3
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/8/2007 6:57:36 PM   
ericbabe

To further clarify my post: there was a bug in the routine that captures cities that are empty.  Cities that are captured via sieges seem to be captured properly, cities that are empty that are captured via the "conquer territory" routine are having their OriginalPlayer data member set -- which was proper behavior in Crown of Glory but not in FOF.  I shall fix.  I'm surprised none of our testers or open beta players saw this before, but it's probably fairly unusual to abandon cities outright.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/8/2007 11:25:33 PM   
LeBlaque

To provide you some additional feedback-- Little Rock was NOT empty or abandoned when I began an encircle siege. It had one Brigade of CSA troops and, at least according to the interface, was CSA controlled. If my PBEM counterpart had abandoned it, I didn't see a Bge moving away on the replay. I shall have to ask him.

As I was working with the beta patches I noticed this behavior once before against the AI, but don't think I reported it as I ended that game when the second beta patch came out. I also believe it was NOT happening in Little Rock in that particular game but occurred in Kentucky's or Tennessee's capital. Consequently, this may require further review beyond this one capital?

Regards,

LeBlaque

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/9/2007 5:41:49 AM   
ericbabe

The way the code treats cities, there's probably nothing intrinsic to Little Rock or to its being a state capital involved.

(in reply to LeBlaque)
Post #: 6
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/22/2007 8:36:20 PM   
tedbert86

I am playing the Basic Game as I am still learning to play FOF. I seem to be having the same or similar problem as LeBlaque with an additional twist. The problem did not seem to happen in the first game I played but as it was my first I may just not have noticed it. The last game I played and the one I am playing now does not give me VP for capturing Confederate state capitals, including Nashville, Baton Rouge, and Jackson; it also did not deduct from National Will for Baton Rouge or Jackson. The game also gave me 1 VP for capturing a city and is not giving me any more VP for capturing Confederate cities, including a large one like New Orleans. Am I misunderstanding the rules or is there a bug? It is making winning as the Union a real tough challenge. Thanks for your help.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 6/22/2007 11:09:22 PM   
ericbabe

There is a bug involved -- there are two ways of capturing inside the code, one less common (to players as a whole) than the other, and that way doesn't award VPs properly.  I've programmed what I hope is a fix and we're in the process of testing it right now.

(in reply to tedbert86)
Post #: 8
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/9/2007 9:12:08 PM   
LeBlaque

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

There is a bug involved -- there are two ways of capturing inside the code, one less common (to players as a whole) than the other, and that way doesn't award VPs properly.  I've programmed what I hope is a fix and we're in the process of testing it right now.

Given my other thread report on capturing cities via the PBEM "Attack the Fort" command and resultant via QB, hopefully your bug fix above will address the VP problem associated with this capture-type as well....

Regards,
LeBlaque

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/14/2007 7:42:49 PM   
Maulet

quote:

There is a bug involved -- there are two ways of capturing inside the code, one less common (to players as a whole) than the other, and that way doesn't award VPs properly. I've programmed what I hope is a fix and we're in the process of testing it right now.

In my game, I have captured: lynchburg, knoxville and chattanooga, but I have only 1 point in cities.

I understand that this is the bug you had said in this "quote" ???

When this fix will appear??
This bug it's very bad, because I amb loosing a lot of VP's to win the game.

Thx !

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/16/2007 5:36:43 PM   
ericbabe

Shouldn't be too much longer.  I'm trying to get a new build to the testers today that'll be a candidate for official release, though it'll take at least two weeks to be sure.  We don't have anything else planned for the next update other than what I'll hopefully finish up working on today, unless of course we find any issues with the new features/fixes.

As an aside, there must be some different style of play some people use that our testers haven't used -- we went through several iterations of the game with only one tester noticing this in one case.  Yet for other people this seems to affect almost every city they capture.

(in reply to Maulet)
Post #: 11
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/17/2007 11:25:41 AM   
Maulet

quote:

Shouldn't be too much longer.  I'm trying to get a new build to the testers today that'll be a candidate for official release, though it'll take at least two weeks to be sure.  We don't have anything else planned for the next update other than what I'll hopefully finish up working on today, unless of course we find any issues with the new features/fixes.

As an aside, there must be some different style of play some people use that our testers haven't used -- we went through several iterations of the game with only one tester noticing this in one case.  Yet for other people this seems to affect almost every city they capture.

Perhaps is a stupid question but, it's possible during this 2 weeks of testing that we could edit the save to modificate this VP ??

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 12
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/17/2007 6:10:14 PM   
Mr. Yuck

Here's a variant on the problem:

In the CSA game I was playing last night I moved to relieve sieges on both Little Rock and Lynchburg. The forces involved were division sized and evenly matched so I opted to pull the city garrisons into the detailed combats. I won both battles. Both relief forces had instructions to move further in the turn- The division in Little Rock did so and the Lynchburg force did not.

The Union siege works were still in place the next turn and my city garrisons were left, after the battle, in the province rather than in the city. I ordered the garrisons back into the cities.

On the next turn, the event report showed that the Union had captured both cities and my will took a hit for Little Rock, even though province control remained with me. Apparently my garrisons were unable to enter either city because of the empty siegeworks.

When I play as the Union I tend to only receive VP for about half the cities I capture and I am unable to detect any difference in the mechanics of my play that correlates to the different results.

(in reply to Maulet)
Post #: 13
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/17/2007 8:18:31 PM   
ericbabe

The capture may have happened before the garrisons can move -- the siege subphase is resolved before any movement.

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 14
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/19/2007 1:58:00 AM   
Mr. Yuck

Eric,

OK, so an empty siegeworks can capture an empty city. I can deal with that now that I know.

Forgive me if you've explained this elsewhere and point me at that thread-but- What are the things we should be aware of when trying to capture a city and get the VP? Are there things we can do to avoid the bug? 

Best,

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 15
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/19/2007 4:49:08 AM   
ericbabe

An empty siegeworks shouldn't be able to capture a city, but the siege is resolved before movement and so you may not be able to relieve before it is captured.

I'm not entirely sure what the best strategy is for avoiding the VP bug -- I'm not exactly sure what our beta testers were doing differently.

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 16
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/22/2007 7:08:27 AM   
Johnus

It's been happening to me more often than not. I'm not using any special tactics or strategy and so far, I have used "normal siege" exclusively. Hope to see a fix soon.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 17
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 7/22/2007 2:07:54 PM   
Maulet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnnie

It's been happening to me more often than not. I'm not using any special tactics or strategy and so far, I have used "normal siege" exclusively. Hope to see a fix soon.

Me too, I always choose normal siege.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 18
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 8/9/2007 4:53:04 AM   
tedbert86

Any word on when the bug fix is to come out? The bug is really messing with my play, e.g. I am playing a game as the Union in which I have conquered just about everything but the James River province, it is in 1865, and by the VPs I am about to lose the game as soon as a month or so more goes by. Thanks.

(in reply to Maulet)
Post #: 19
RE: No VP for Little Rock Capture - 8/9/2007 4:04:36 PM   
ericbabe

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1536433

(in reply to tedbert86)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> No VP for Little Rock Capture Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI