Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

about scale...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> about scale... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
about scale... - 2/14/2007 1:46:26 PM   
laska2k8

a bit confused, BiN and BiI are at same scale of Battlefront ? 2,5 km per hex?

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: about scale... - 2/14/2007 1:48:56 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: laska2k4

a bit confused, BiN and BiI are at same scale of Battlefront ? 2,5 km per hex?

thanks

No. BF ships with scenarios built at the 1km/hex scale.

Of course, as with the DB games, BF scale is determined by the scenario creator.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 2
RE: about scale... - 2/14/2007 6:20:18 PM   
PaulWRoberts

What would happen if someone decided to convert scenarios from Battles in Normandy or Battles in Italy to the Battlefront engine? Would some things be "off" because the game was designed with 1km/hex in mind, or would faithful reproductions be possible?

(Anxiously awaiting the next iteration of "Ardennes Offensive"!)

< Message edited by Paul Roberts -- 2/14/2007 6:34:55 PM >

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 3
RE: about scale... - 2/14/2007 7:54:17 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Roberts

What would happen if someone decided to convert scenarios from Battles in Normandy or Battles in Italy to the Battlefront engine? Would some things be "off" because the game was designed with 1km/hex in mind, or would faithful reproductions be possible?

Haven't tried with gold version, but in the earlier beta versions it was possible... still many, many settings had to be adjusted or added. Graphics have to be updated across the board (some minor, some very significant changes).

The 1 km/hex is not a game engine setting per se... its a scenario scale setting. Big question is how do the indirect fire/direct fire settings apply? Direct fire feature is based on the 1 km/hex scale... other scales have to consider whether to use it or not. Think a wholescale revision of TAO would be in order (with a much larger map & battalion size units rather than regiments).

(in reply to PaulWRoberts)
Post #: 4
RE: about scale... - 2/27/2007 6:08:22 PM   
TPM

quote:

ORIGINAL: JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Roberts

Haven't tried with gold version, but in the earlier beta versions it was possible... still many, many settings had to be adjusted or added. Graphics have to be updated across the board (some minor, some very significant changes).

The 1 km/hex is not a game engine setting per se... its a scenario scale setting. Big question is how do the indirect fire/direct fire settings apply? Direct fire feature is based on the 1 km/hex scale... other scales have to consider whether to use it or not. Think a wholescale revision of TAO would be in order (with a much larger map & battalion size units rather than regiments).

Simple question (hopefully): in light of what is said above regarding scale, is it possible in Battlefront to create scenarios at other than the 1km/hex-battalion level?

Example: Operation Typhoon, division units, 10 miles/hex.
Extreme example: Operation Barbarossa corps units, 20 miles/hex.

It's probably unreasonable to think a game designed at the battalion level, 1km/hex scale should be able to successfully model these larger scales, but I'm a curious. The game engine looks so damn good, but I'm interested in somewhat larger scenarios (NOT more units). Thanks.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 5
RE: about scale... - 2/27/2007 8:29:45 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: TPM

Simple question (hopefully): in light of what is said above regarding scale, is it possible in Battlefront to create scenarios at other than the 1km/hex-battalion level?

Example: Operation Typhoon, division units, 10 miles/hex.
Extreme example: Operation Barbarossa corps units, 20 miles/hex.

It's probably unreasonable to think a game designed at the battalion level, 1km/hex scale should be able to successfully model these larger scales, but I'm a curious. The game engine looks so damn good, but I'm interested in somewhat larger scenarios (NOT more units). Thanks.

Quick answer is Yes. Scale and turn length is fully up to the scenario designer.

There's a scenario in BII that uses division counters (covers Europe, N. Afrika, and Asia to Stalingrad). Works really well.

Things that wouldn't work in BF at that scale: Direct fire would not work properly in terms of tank battles (i.e. you would not enable DF units, so no harm, no foul... just no direct fire). Power of artillery and air strikes would take a lot of consideration on how to make them work reasonably.

< Message edited by JSS -- 2/27/2007 8:45:27 PM >

(in reply to TPM)
Post #: 6
RE: about scale... - 2/27/2007 9:15:32 PM   
TPM

quote:

ORIGINAL: JSS

Quick answer is Yes. Scale and turn length is fully up to the scenario designer.

There's a scenario in BII that uses division counters (covers Europe, N. Afrika, and Asia to Stalingrad). Works really well.

Things that wouldn't work in BF at that scale: Direct fire would not work properly in terms of tank battles (i.e. you would not enable DF units, so no harm, no foul... just no direct fire). Power of artillery and air strikes would take a lot of consideration on how to make them work reasonably.

Great, thanks for the input...good to know that it's possible with some tweaking. Haven't gotten around to getting BiI, maybe I should start by getting it and checking out that huge scenario. Thanks again.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 7
RE: about scale... - 7/10/2007 7:26:44 PM   
IAN 1963

Hi
How feasable would it be to design scenerios with a scale of say 500 or 333 meters per hex. Dosent look as if there is going to be a WW1 mod for the Campaighn Series to soon so wondered about using this game to do a grand tactical company battery armoured sections level mod.

Also is it possible to have armoured trains in the game ?

Many thanks
Ian

(in reply to TPM)
Post #: 8
RE: about scale... - 7/10/2007 8:15:26 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: IAN 1963

Hi
How feasable would it be to design scenerios with a scale of say 500 or 333 meters per hex. Dosent look as if there is going to be a WW1 mod for the Campaighn Series to soon so wondered about using this game to do a grand tactical company battery armoured sections level mod.

Also is it possible to have armoured trains in the game ?

Many thanks
Ian

300-500 meters is completely possible. Artillery and air strikes will work every bit as well as at 1 km per hex. A designer might want to consider using the direct fire feature to cover machine gun fire for WWI scenarios at the smaller scale (i.e. create machine gun units enabled with direct fire capability)... Infantry units would then be direct fire targets. Tank units would then be mobile/tracked machine gun platforms. Should work exceptionally well.

It would be easy to have armored trains. There is a railroad feature and units can be allocated to move over the rail tracks. If you don't give the unit any mobile movement capability, then it could move along the rails... only drawback is that a unit can not both take part in combat (i.e. fire an artillery mission) and move by rail in the same turn... has to be one or the other.

(in reply to IAN 1963)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> about scale... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI