Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shock??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Shock?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shock?? - 7/19/2007 11:15:17 PM   
B/snafu

Iv'e read AAR's where they talk about this side's shock or so will rule until turn so and so before it goes down, etc. Iv'e looked through the manual a few times and have seen references to it in %'s and such.

Can anyone explain it too me in simple terms what exaxtly it does and how powerful it can be (all encompassing or just a small part) when deciding too make a move or attack?? Or at least point me to a thread or link that already covers it?

Any help would be appreciated.

"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "
Post #: 1
RE: Shock?? - 7/20/2007 12:38:26 PM   
golden delicious

I'm not sure what the exact systems are at the level of individual items of equipment, but effectively shock is a simple multiplier of unit strength, in much the same way as unit quality (unit quality = (2 * proficiency + supply + readiness)/4).

In addition- and perhaps more importantly- the shock level is the % chance that a formation will be available for orders on any given turn. 100% and above shock has no effect on the game in this regard but a force with, for example, 80% shock will see on average one in five of its formations randomly unavailable for orders each turn. These units cannot move or attack, but they can still be ordered to dig in, set to reserve, change loss tolerance or disband.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 2
RE: Shock?? - 7/20/2007 9:00:01 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL:I'm not sure what the exact systems are at the level of individual items of equipment, but effectively shock is a simple multiplier of unit strength, in much the same way as unit quality (unit quality = (2 * proficiency + supply + readiness)/4).

What impact does positive shock have on combat rounds? I’ve seen people mention that they typically get more rounds of combat when positive shock is in effect. Is this because unit proficiency is enhanced by positive shock?

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Shock?? - 7/20/2007 9:36:23 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL:I'm not sure what the exact systems are at the level of individual items of equipment, but effectively shock is a simple multiplier of unit strength, in much the same way as unit quality (unit quality = (2 * proficiency + supply + readiness)/4).

What impact does positive shock have on combat rounds? I’ve seen people mention that they typically get more rounds of combat when positive shock is in effect. Is this because unit proficiency is enhanced by positive shock?

Regards, RhinoBones

It forces a countback of the tactical rounds expended in combat. Ralph could verify the exact formula, but I believe it is one round counted back, for each increment of 10% shock, rounded up.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 4
RE: Shock?? - 7/21/2007 12:30:00 AM   
B/snafu

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

Regards, RhinoBones

It forces a countback of the tactical rounds expended in combat. Ralph could verify the exact formula, but I believe it is one round counted back, for each increment of 10% shock, rounded up.

I've finally actually have experianced multiple combat rounds. Playing silvanski's modded russian war 1941 scenario-I believe it's due to the shock on the first few turns (or could be my ever increasing superior skill)--but was able to have 5 "resolve all combats" with high number of units involved across the map and 2 "resolve all combats" involving air attacks in one turn. Finally, more than two rounds in a turn.

"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 5
RE: Shock?? - 7/21/2007 7:56:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I'm not convinced there was ever any effect at all. What players were seeing was probably entirely due to the bug with saved turns. Now that that has been fixed, Bigfoot sightings of extra rounds will fade into legend.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 6
RE: Shock?? - 7/21/2007 8:25:25 PM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I'm not convinced there was ever any effect at all. What players were seeing was probably entirely due to the bug with saved turns. Now that that has been fixed, Bigfoot sightings of extra rounds will fade into legend.

Definately still has the coutnback feature. I have, more than once with T3, seen a combat go several rounds only to have my turn used be less than the number of rounds I saw in the combats.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
RE: Shock?? - 7/21/2007 10:53:10 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

Definately still has the coutnback feature. I have, more than once with T3, seen a combat go several rounds only to have my turn used be less than the number of rounds I saw in the combats.

Agree. With positive shock, it seems nearly impossible to suffer from "turn burn", even when you have "attack continues" occuring several times.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 8
RE: Shock?? - 10/15/2007 1:04:36 AM   
Jonny

Is higher shock better or lower shock better?  It sounds like lower is better.

Jonathan R. Rono

Post #: 9
RE: Shock?? - 10/15/2007 6:59:18 AM   
L`zard

@Jonny;

Rather depends on whether the shock is in favor of 'YOUR' side, eh?

Shock values can be 90% for you (bad) or 130# for you (good).

View-point is everything, LOL!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Jonny)
Post #: 10
RE: Shock?? - 10/15/2007 7:57:58 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

Agree. With positive shock, it seems nearly impossible to suffer from "turn burn", even when you have "attack continues" occuring several times.

Yeah. The impact of giving one side 90% shock while leaving the other at 100% is far less than that of leaving one side at 100% while giving the other 110%.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 11
RE: Shock?? - 10/15/2007 9:49:34 PM   
Jonny

@ L'zard-Indeed.

Jonathan R. Rono

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 12
RE: Shock?? - 10/15/2007 10:03:09 PM   
Silvanski

Below 100% there's an increased risk of formations being forced into reorganization

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Jonny)
Post #: 13
RE: Shock?? - 10/24/2007 8:07:41 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

Below 100% there's an increased risk of formations being forced into reorganization

READ: winter is NOT your friend, LOL!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Shock?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI