Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RCTs how are people using them

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RCTs how are people using them Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 5:18:28 AM   
grumpyman

I have been using regimental combat team mostly for garrison duty. I am in early 44 in my campaign and have noticed fewer RCTs by default are assigned to the central theater. I am island hopping and leaving RCTs as garrisons so I can use the heavy units for the next assault. This has me wondering how others are using these units.
Post #: 1
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 10:16:07 AM   
m10bob

I try to use things as they were historically.
An American RCT was very much the equivalent of what the German army called a "kampfgruppe",(battle group) in that they were a self-contained fighting unit with their own artillery, transportation, engineers, medical, supply, and often armor units, along with the infantry.
On D-Day June 6,1944, while the 1st ID landed on Omaha beach, 2 RCT's of the 29thth ID were attached to the 1st for that one day, and as self-contained fighting units it was an easy assignment, (TO&E wise).
Yes, they make excellent garrison units, but are a tremendous asset for assault assignments when attached to divisions as well.

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 2
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 10:30:39 AM   
Yamato hugger

They are infantry. I use them like infantry.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 12:14:32 PM   
Barb

3 RCTs are in fact like one complet division. But instead of divisional AA, ART, Eng, Medical, transport, tank, spart... battalions are attached(divided) directly to Regiment(in size of platoons or company) to create self-reliant units.
In Pacific theatre of operations they were used often. Division was divided to three RCTs, one landing on X, second one landing on Y and third one was in reserve or to deploy on beach X or Y after the first wave (then the reserve was another "foreign" RCT or RCTs). The first RCT must not wait until all the divisional attachements units are unloaded, but may go for they objectives immediately after landing (because it have all that it will need).

I think they are great for garrisoning, or to capturing bases defended by small units like BFs, NLFs, and so. Or when you think division is not enough and two divisions are too much.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 4
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 1:45:52 PM   
KDonovan

in my game, late 1944, i tried to avoid using RCT's for garrison duty. Instead i use the smaller Aussie and NZ Bde's.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 5
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 3:48:54 PM   
Gem35

I use them as assault forces for the smaller islands but mostly as garrison troops @ Hawaii and Suva.
Those 2 bases are where I transport most of my reinforcements and used as staging areas until I decide where they will go as far as the front lines are concerned.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 6
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 8:06:33 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

They are infantry. I use them like infantry.

Agreed. I use them like 1/3 of a division. Only exception is I occasionally use them to garrison key forward bases in the early days rather than divide a division.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 7
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 8:13:13 PM   
cantona2

Currently Jan 42, using them to fortify and garrison islands on Oz-US supply line

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 8
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 8:23:22 PM   
USSAmerica

Same here.  I have RCT's heading to key islands in my supply line, teaming up with one of the USMC CD units.  Makes for a pretty tough nut to crack.  These islands won't be taken with less than a full Japanese division, or more. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 9
RE: RCTs how are people using them - 7/26/2007 10:06:03 PM   
niceguy2005

I actually love RCTs because like USS America said, with support units they would make a base very tough to take. Using them I can keep from dividing my divisions and can hold them in reserve as a reactionary force, in case things go bad fast.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RCTs how are people using them Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI