Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/27/2007 10:22:03 AM   
afspret

Was reading an article on the battle of the Java Sea in the Sept 2007 edition of Sea Classics Magazine (Vol 40/No 9) and came across some glaring mistakes that makes me wonder about the reputation of this magazine. First off, the author of the article constantly refers to the Langley as an aircraft carrier, even though it was converted to an AV in April 1937.

Second, he states all 12 destroyers assigned to the Asiatic Fleet were coal burners.

Third, he refers to the cruisers Houston & Boise as WW I vintage ships, even though both were commissioned in the 1930s (Houston in June 1930 and Boise in Aug 1938).

But what really got me was the fact he states the river gunboats Luzon and Oahu were the newest ships assigned to the Asiatic Fleet. The Luzon was commissioned in June 1928 and the Oahu in Oct 1928, making them older than the alleged WW I vintage Houston and Boise!

Last months magazine had an article on the Battle of Midway that was so full of errors I tossed it in the trash without finishing it! Its obvious the writers didn't do their homework or a good job on research before writting the articles, nor did the magazine apparently look at them before publishing them, do they not employ or have someone check the facts anymore!.
Post #: 1
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/27/2007 1:12:02 PM   
Terminus

Looks like somebody didn't do his research... And somebody else didn't edit...

I read an article on Midway once which conclusively stated that all three US carriers present were carrying TBF's...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 2
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/27/2007 2:16:55 PM   
m10bob

Some magazines don't have their own writing staff, or allow some stories to be printed by contibutors, (like you and me)..
In this case, the story itself seems less verified than the credentials of the contributor.
In past I have read stories in periodicals about "real action combat" by some REMFs who never got closer to cordite than a box of Wheaties.......

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/27/2007 4:17:41 PM   
Yamato hugger

A REMF is the opposite of a grunt.

Rear
Echelon
Mother
F -- well you see where this is going.

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/28/2007 7:43:08 AM   
grumpyman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

Tell that one to a group of marine riflemen perferably in an Oceanside bar on payday.

Edit: I changed infantrymen to riflemen or I may get in trouble in hypothetical Oceanside bar, but I was in the air wing so what do I know.

< Message edited by grumpyman -- 7/28/2007 7:50:07 AM >

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 5
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/28/2007 3:57:22 PM   
Skyros

I stopped reading it when I noticed that they were reusing articles from years past.

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 6
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/28/2007 4:24:42 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Looks like somebody didn't do his research... And somebody else didn't edit...

I read an article on Midway once which conclusively stated that all three US carriers present were carrying TBF's...

And they weren't?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/29/2007 4:27:11 AM   
Tiornu

I'm not sure that Sea Classics ever had such a great reputation. Wasn't it one of their articles that resurrected the Hood-killed-by-8in-shell theory back in the 70's?
I'm more concerned out the NIP magazines--heck, NIP itself appears to have reached a nadir.

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 8
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/29/2007 2:09:21 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

quote:

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

Tell that one to a group of marine riflemen perferably in an Oceanside bar on payday.

Edit: I changed infantrymen to riflemen or I may get in trouble in hypothetical Oceanside bar, but I was in the air wing so what do I know.

I was a grunt (Army version), so Im allowed

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 9
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/29/2007 11:26:16 PM   
grumpyman

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

quote:

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

I was a grunt (Army version), so Im allowed

Yeah, well I was an REMF! So not allowed, but do it anyway. Someone has to be back there to guard the slopchute

< Message edited by grumpyman -- 7/29/2007 11:29:15 PM >

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 10
RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? - 7/30/2007 12:59:03 AM   
Yamato hugger

Actually, I was a REMF also. I was a medic with an infantry company, but we were assigned to a clearing company (basically a battalion aid station). Battalion aids arent "exactly" rear area though I guess. So I wasnt a REMF. So there

Also got to fly some Dust Offs also. Them guys dont make enough dough.

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI