Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

afspret -> Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/27/2007 10:22:03 AM)

Was reading an article on the battle of the Java Sea in the Sept 2007 edition of Sea Classics Magazine (Vol 40/No 9) and came across some glaring mistakes that makes me wonder about the reputation of this magazine. First off, the author of the article constantly refers to the Langley as an aircraft carrier, even though it was converted to an AV in April 1937.

Second, he states all 12 destroyers assigned to the Asiatic Fleet were coal burners.

Third, he refers to the cruisers Houston & Boise as WW I vintage ships, even though both were commissioned in the 1930s (Houston in June 1930 and Boise in Aug 1938).

But what really got me was the fact he states the river gunboats Luzon and Oahu were the newest ships assigned to the Asiatic Fleet. The Luzon was commissioned in June 1928 and the Oahu in Oct 1928, making them older than the alleged WW I vintage Houston and Boise!

Last months magazine had an article on the Battle of Midway that was so full of errors I tossed it in the trash without finishing it! Its obvious the writers didn't do their homework or a good job on research before writting the articles, nor did the magazine apparently look at them before publishing them, do they not employ or have someone check the facts anymore!.

Terminus -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/27/2007 1:12:02 PM)

Looks like somebody didn't do his research... And somebody else didn't edit...

I read an article on Midway once which conclusively stated that all three US carriers present were carrying TBF's...

m10bob -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/27/2007 2:16:55 PM)

Some magazines don't have their own writing staff, or allow some stories to be printed by contibutors, (like you and me)..
In this case, the story itself seems less verified than the credentials of the contributor.
In past I have read stories in periodicals about "real action combat" by some REMFs who never got closer to cordite than a box of Wheaties.......

Yamato hugger -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/27/2007 4:17:41 PM)

A REMF is the opposite of a grunt.

Rear
Echelon
Mother
F -- well you see where this is going.

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

[8D]

grumpyman -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/28/2007 7:43:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

[8D]

Tell that one to a group of marine riflemen perferably in an Oceanside bar on payday.

Edit: I changed infantrymen to riflemen or I may get in trouble in hypothetical Oceanside bar, but I was in the air wing so what do I know.[:D]

Skyros -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/28/2007 3:57:22 PM)

I stopped reading it when I noticed that they were reusing articles from years past.

Apollo11 -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/28/2007 4:24:42 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Looks like somebody didn't do his research... And somebody else didn't edit...

I read an article on Midway once which conclusively stated that all three US carriers present were carrying TBF's...

And they weren't? [X(][8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Tiornu -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/29/2007 4:27:11 AM)

I'm not sure that Sea Classics ever had such a great reputation. Wasn't it one of their articles that resurrected the Hood-killed-by-8in-shell theory back in the 70's?
I'm more concerned out the NIP magazines--heck, NIP itself appears to have reached a nadir.

Yamato hugger -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/29/2007 2:09:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

quote:

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

[8D]

Tell that one to a group of marine riflemen perferably in an Oceanside bar on payday.

Edit: I changed infantrymen to riflemen or I may get in trouble in hypothetical Oceanside bar, but I was in the air wing so what do I know.[:D]

I was a grunt (Army version), so Im allowed [;)]

grumpyman -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/29/2007 11:26:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

quote:

General
Recruit
Usually
Not
Trained

[8D]

I was a grunt (Army version), so Im allowed [;)]

Yeah, well I was an REMF! So not allowed, but do it anyway. Someone has to be back there to guard the slopchute [:D][:D][:D]

Yamato hugger -> RE: Sort of OT: Sea Classics Reputation Going Down Hill? (7/30/2007 12:59:03 AM)

Actually, I was a REMF also. I was a medic with an infantry company, but we were assigned to a clearing company (basically a battalion aid station). Battalion aids arent "exactly" rear area though I guess. So I wasnt a REMF. So there [:'(]

Also got to fly some Dust Offs also. Them guys dont make enough dough.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI