Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: a question for the jarheads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 7:22:26 AM   
grumpyman

I found this during a search and got many results like it.

A false fact that has been written in several Marine Corps books is that Don Knotts was a Drill Instructor in the United States Marine Corps. Don does not know how this rumor got stated. It embarrasses him because; he does not think he could have made it through Marine Corps booth camp. For the record he would like people to know that he did service this country but not with the Marines. When he was 19 he joined the army. This is when he got his start in show business. His duties consisted of entertaining the troops. He was in traveling GI variety shows called "Stars and Gripes."

It would have pretty cool though.

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 7:26:09 AM   
Ian R

R Lee Ermey (now seen regularly on the history channel) after medical discharge (bad back I think?) used his GI Bill to study acting in the Phillipines as I vaguely recall it. I thought he auditioned for the role and was selected, but maybe he did replace someone who flubbed it.

I loved the episode of his TV show where he got to drive a LAV into a river and out again. He seemed to be really enjoying himself.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 7:31:27 AM   
Ian R

And he seems to be doing well out of it:

http://www.rleeermey.com/introindex.php

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 9:17:49 AM   
Ian R

Irrelevant is right:

"Former U.S. Marine Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey was originally hired to give Tim Colceri, who was originally hired to play Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, the basics of giving a realistic performance as a Marine Drill Instructor. He performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for fifteen minutes without stopping, repeating himself, or even flinching, despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman instead and cast Colceri as the Doorgunner"

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 11:44:09 AM   
ilovestrategy

Oh man, I'll never forget that DI gettng on the bus and using every 4 letter word in the book to get us on those yellow footprints. I stil remember the date, July 9th, 1985! 
I had dreams for YEARS after that of being dragged back to bootcamp and serving another 4 years.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 2:52:53 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

When I was at boot camp in San Diego in 1973 I could see across the fence in the airport some world war II vintage Japanese aircraft. My memory tells me there was more than one of these aircraft. Does anyone remember these airplanes? What model aircraft were they and what happened to them?

Back to the original question, did these aircraft look flyable? If so, they were probably the American trainers modified for the movie Tora, Tora, Tora. I don't know the complete history of those aircraft, but I know they bounced around a bit and ended up with the Confederate Air Force (now Commemorative Air Force). They still fly the airshow circuit.

If they were in decrepit condition, I'm not sure what they were. A number of Japanese aircraft were evaluated after the war, but a large number were scrapped afterwards. The few that survived were in museum collections by the 1970s. The only Kikka (looks like an Me-262) and the only Shusui (Japanese Me-163 Komet) were in the Planes of Fame in Ontario, CA at that point. Or it may have been Chino. The museum moved at some point in the early 70s. But neither of those locations is anywhere near Pendelton.

BTW, what's TTL? I'm a bit lost on that one.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 5:58:27 PM   
whippleofd

I have trouble remembering the name of my next-door neighbor. So how come I have no problem remembering my CC MS2 Sensero and I was in Company 212? Wierd how the memory is. Reading about boot-camp and those yellow foot-prints brought back a flood of memories. Ah to be young again, not this squid. hehe. I tell my wife all the time that I never want to be 18 again! But then again, if I had the knowledge that I do now...

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 6:03:40 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

True To Life

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 9:31:16 PM   
grumpyman

quote:

quote:

When I was at boot camp in San Diego in 1973 I could see across the fence in the airport some world war II vintage Japanese aircraft. My memory tells me there was more than one of these aircraft. Does anyone remember these airplanes? What model aircraft were they and what happened to them?

Back to the original question, did these aircraft look flyable? If so, they were probably the American trainers modified for the movie Tora, Tora, Tora. I don't know the complete history of those aircraft, but I know they bounced around a bit and ended up with the Confederate Air Force (now Commemorative Air Force). They still fly the airshow circuit.

If they were in decrepit condition, I'm not sure what they were. A number of Japanese aircraft were evaluated after the war, but a large number were scrapped afterwards. The few that survived were in museum collections by the 1970s. The only Kikka (looks like an Me-262) and the only Shusui (Japanese Me-163 Komet) were in the Planes of Fame in Ontario, CA at that point. Or it may have been Chino. The museum moved at some point in the early 70s. But neither of those locations is anywhere near Pendelton.

Bill

They looked flyable. I have been looking on the net (why I don't know, its not that important). The Tora Tora Tora explanation sounds plausable.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 10:58:29 PM   
rogueusmc

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill

They looked flyable. I have been looking on the net (why I don't know, its not that important). The Tora Tora Tora explanation sounds plausable.

I don't know about that...I was running chest high into the coffee table in 1973...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 11:51:48 PM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
True To Life

Thanks. The only explanations I could think of made no sense in context.

Bill

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/4/2007 11:57:50 PM   
wdolson

quote:

In 1973, I don't think there were any flayable Japanese aircraft from the war. Since then a few Zeros have been put in the air as well as at least one Oscar I recovered from China(though it isn't flown anymore, it's worth too much).

I remember the fanfare when Mitsubishi sponsored the restoration of the A6M5 at Chino. It was the first Japanese aircraft from the war to be put back into the air. The main wing spar had to be replaced with a new one (the original was made of an allow that disintigrated after the war), but they tried to preserve as much of the original plane as possible, even rebuilding the original engine. It's the only Zero flying today with an original Japanese engine. All the others have US engines.

My father and I went out to Chino when the Zero was being rebuilt and they had it parked out on the ramp with the cowling off. My father assumed that it would have a US engine (the Zero's engine was based on a copied US engine), but all the nameplates were in Japanese. That thing gleamed in the sun. It was probably better than factory new at the time.

Bill

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/5/2007 12:09:48 AM   
Jam_USMC

Can't recall any such planes in '93. I only remember the civilian craft and the one time that a C-5 landed. That was the biggest thing I have ever seen in my whole life--that could fly. And it was the only time I remember that the DI's granted eyeball liberty.

With all the San Diego boot talk going on I can't belive none of the PI Marines haven't dropped any "Hollywood" Marine insults. Of course, they are probably still recovering from the sand fleas. Oh! Oh! Ow! Ow! Sand fleas, sir, sand fleas! They hurt, sir!

"Before we're through with 'em, the AI language will be spoken only in Hell!"

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/5/2007 12:52:52 AM   
grumpyman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jam_USMC

Can't recall any such planes in '93. I only remember the civilian craft and the one time that a C-5 landed. That was the biggest thing I have ever seen in my whole life--that could fly. And it was the only time I remember that the DI's granted eyeball liberty.

With all the San Diego boot talk going on I can't belive none of the PI Marines haven't dropped any "Hollywood" Marine insults. Of course, they are probably still recovering from the sand fleas. Oh! Oh! Ow! Ow! Sand fleas, sir, sand fleas! They hurt, sir!

I know when I was in some PI Marines told me that they told that us "Hollywood" Marines were issued sunglasses.

(in reply to Jam_USMC)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/5/2007 1:31:49 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

quote:

I know when I was in some PI Marines told me that they told that us "Hollywood" Marines were issued sunglasses.

And surf boards...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/5/2007 2:07:54 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

quote:

quote:

And surf boards...

And tickets to San Diego Padres games. I heard that one from the PI boys for years...

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/5/2007 2:42:03 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

NTC is no longer there Chez...it's part of MCRD now.

Yeah, the only Navy boot camp left is at Great Lakes... who in their right mind would close the two warm weather boot camps and leave open the one place where you can barely march outdoors in the winter!??! That's the military for ya!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/5/2007 2:59:04 AM   
Hard Sarge

Oh! Oh! Ow! Ow! Sand fleas, sir, sand fleas! They hurt, sir!
[/quote]

now, I do not believe any PI or west coast bootie every made a statement like that !

I do remember coming out of the mess hall, and forming up, when the DI seen somebody flitch from a bite, being told to stand at attention and leave them alone, it was dinner time, and they needed to eat too

(in reply to Jam_USMC)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/6/2007 2:45:30 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

NOT LUDWIG VAN!!!

No, not Ludwig Van, oh my droog. Maybe one synthamesc too many at the ole Moloko, or perhaps a bit too much of the ole in-out-in-out, but I seem to remember, way, way back, on what's now the freeway side (opposite ya'lls side), in the old Ryan buildings, there was a group of enthusaists that were rebuilding some 'crates'. Maybe some Navy guys and/or Marines with extra time on their hands. Didn't last long; buildings got sold and utilized, and a lot of folks went out to Brackett Field in Pomona (La Verne).

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 49
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/6/2007 3:14:21 AM   
alaviner

My father told a story from PI that if the company performed well during training they would be allowed to stand at attention on the pavement (fewer sand fleas) but if someone screwed up then thay had to stand on the grass (many sandfleas).

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 50
RE: OT: a question for the jarheads - 8/6/2007 9:57:20 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Oh man, I'll never forget that DI gettng on the bus and using every 4 letter word in the book to get us on those yellow footprints. I stil remember the date, July 9th, 1985! 
I had dreams for YEARS after that of being dragged back to bootcamp and serving another 4 years.

Been there!

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI