Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:35:50 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: capitan
I was actually thinking about it, perhaps you are right. I will add the country today when the country has changed. Or perhaps remove the population of today?

I for one like it to have the modern population figure.

quote:

For the natural resources it is hard to find which ones were the most important ones. If you have a good source for that by all means share it!

I don't believe I have that.

quote:

Djibouti is a really poor country but they could still be an important exporter gold and oil and what not. Natural resources, unfortunatly, does not make a country rich in the world today. At least not the general population.

Yes, but this contrasts with the fact that gamewise, French Somaliland have no RP in the country.

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 391
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:41:59 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
Yes, but this contrasts with the fact that gamewise, French Somaliland have no RP in the country.

Well this would mean that we add a whole new dimension to the writing. The resources in WIF are just a gaming-approximation, they are no-where near the truth of which resources were transported back to the european factories.

Do you suggest we write that the countries without resource-symbols have no natural resources, despite the fact that they do?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 392
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:45:01 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

For the natural resources it is hard to find which ones were the most important ones. If you have a good source for that by all means share it!

My 1940 Collier Atlas have a Gazetteer of the world.
For French Somaliland, it reads :
A French colony in Eastern Africa on the Gulf of Aden. Government by a Governor and an administrative council. Capital Djibouti. Area, 5,700 sq.m. Population, 69,782. Products, ivory, hides, coffee, butter, skins, sugar, fish and salt.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 393
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:46:28 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

quote:

quote:

A French colony in Eastern Africa on the Gulf of Aden. Government by a Governor and an administrative council. Capital Djibouti. Area, 5,700 sq.m. Population, 69,782. Products, ivory, hides, coffee, butter, skins, sugar, fish and salt.

Excellent! Would you be able to send me those for all the French Colonies?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 394
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:49:10 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

Well this would mean that we add a whole new dimension to the writing. The resources in WIF are just a gaming-approximation, they are no-where near the truth of which resources were transported back to the european factories.

Do you suggest we write that the countries without resource-symbols have no natural resources, despite the fact that they do?

No, not at all, but I noticed when reviewing the map and searching for names for everything (natural features, places, resources, oil fields) that the RP that are in the game nearly always correspond to large exploitations of mining resources. Maybe for countries without resources in WiF this should be mentionned, so that the player understands that there were not enough resources in the country to be visible in WiF FE terms, but that there were resources.

Post #: 395
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:58:19 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

I can try. Could you post me a list so that I don't forget some ?

Is this one ok (all the French TERR) :
Algeria
Cameroons
French Somaliland
French Sudan
Gabon
Indochina
Ivory Coast
Madagascar
Middle Congo
Morocco
New Caledonia
Niger
Senegal
Syria
Tunisia

In the Collier Atlas Gazetteer, some countries are grouped in the Administration Groups as in the RAW rulebook, you know French Equatorial Africa, French West Africa.

Nevertheless, I'll post the contents here.

Post #: 396
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:59:06 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

No, not at all, but I noticed when reviewing the map and searching for names for everything (natural features, places, resources, oil fields) that the RP that are in the game nearly always correspond to large exploitations of mining resources. Maybe for countries without resources in WiF this should be mentionned, so that the player understands that there were not enough resources in the country to be visible in WiF FE terms, but that there were resources.

Hmm I hear you but i scoured my three WW2 atlases for information on the matter and found very little. This would mean that I should try and date the findings of each resource in each country.

I just checked the phosphate mining in Tunisia and they did not start until 1952 which explains why there are no resources in Tunisia in WIF. Today Tunisia, if I remember correctly, one of the worlds largest exporter of Phosphates.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 397
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 5:59:54 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can try. Could you post me a list so that I don't forget some ?

Is this one ok (all the French TERR) :
Algeria
Cameroons
French Somaliland
French Sudan
Gabon
Indochina
Ivory Coast
Madagascar
Middle Congo
Morocco
New Caledonia
Niger
Senegal
Syria
Tunisia

In the Collier Atlas Gazetteer, some countries are grouped in the Administration Groups as in the RAW rulebook, you know French Equatorial Africa, French West Africa.

Nevertheless, I'll post the contents here.

If you could it would be very useful! My atlases do not cover it this well.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 398
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 6:11:59 PM   
jesperpehrson

Seems like the Tunisian oil was not discovered until 1953! Dang it! This probably means that almost all of the French Colonies were unexploited for natural resources, except for perhaps food production. 

Post #: 399
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 6:26:34 PM   
jesperpehrson

Found an article in Jstor:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by capitan -- 8/5/2007 6:48:07 PM >

Post #: 400
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 6:34:12 PM   
jesperpehrson

Aha an interesting page from 1945 by D. Mackay! It does in fact cite Tunisia as one of the leading suppliers of phosphate in the world!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by capitan -- 8/5/2007 6:49:47 PM >

Post #: 401
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 6:48:43 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Here is what I found :

From the 1940 Collier Atlas, pages 179-183

Algeria
A French colony in northwest Africa, bordered by the Mediterranean Sea, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Rio de Oro, and French West Africa. Government by a Governor-General residing at the capital Alger. Area, 847,818 sd. m. Population 6,553,451. People chiefly Mussulmen. Products, grain, tobacco, tropical fruits, wine, iron, lead, copper, zinc, fish.

Cameroons
A French mandate, bounded by the South Atlantic Ocean, Nigeria, French Equatorial Africa, and Spanish Guinea. Government by a Commissioner. Capital, Yaoundé. Area, 166,489 sq. m. Population, 2,232,300 native and including about two thousand Europeans. Chief products, almonds, palm oil, hides, timber, tobacco, bananas, peanuts and ivory.

French Equatorial Africa
In northwest Africa, and bordered by Cameroons, French West Africa, Libya, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, Belgian Congo, the South Atlantic Ocean, and Spanish Guinea. Composed of four colonies, Gabon, Middle Congo, Ubangi-Shari, and Chad. Government by a Governor-General assisted by an Administrative Council. Capital, Brazzaville. Area, 912,049 sq. m. Population, 3,226,940. Products, coffee, cotton, cocoa, palm oil, ivory, camels, sheep, horses, zinc, lead and copper.

French Somaliland
A French colony in Eastern Africa on the Gulf of Aden. Government by a Governor and an administrative council. Capital, Djibouti. Area, 5,700 sq. m. Population, 69,782. Products, ivory, hides, coffee, butter, skins, sugar, fish and salt.

French West Africa
Includes Senegal, French Guinea, Ivory Coast, Dahomey, French Sudan, Mauritania, Niger, and Circonscription de Dakar with dependencies. Government by a Governor-General and Council, each colony having a Lieutenant-Governor. Capital, Dakar. Area, 1,604,159 sq. m. Population, 14,468,828. Products, peanuts, cocoa, cotton, coffee, fruits, cattle, oils, oil seeds, timber, mahogany and rubber.

French Indo-China
Bounded by the China Sea, Gulf of Tonkin, Gulf of Siam, Siam and Burma, consists of five states, Cochin-China, Cambodia, Annam, Tonkin, and Laos. Governments by a Governor-General assisted by a Secretary-General; A governor (in Cochin-China) and the Residents-Superior of each remaining state. Capital, Hanoi. Area, 282,522 sq. m. Population, 21,452,000. Products, rice, pepper, coconuts, cinnamon, sugar, tea, tobacco, coffee, fruits, cotton, gold, coal, zinc, graphite, lead, tin, fish, hides, dyewoods, teak, bamboo, and rubber.

Madagascar
A large Island Colony belonging to France, off the southeast coast of Africa. Government, by a Governor-General, assisted by a Consultative Council. Capital Tananarive. Area, 228,707 sq. m. Population, 3,853,300, mostly native tribes. Products, cattle, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, ostriches, rice, sugar, cotton, vanilla, tobacco, butter, lima beans, coffee, timber, plants for textile, dyeing, tanning, and medicinal purposes, cotton and silk goods, and Panama hats.

Morocco
Northwestern Africa, nominally a sultanate, has a French protectorate, a Spanish protectorate, and Tangier Zone (internationalized). Boundaries are Mediterranean Sea, Algeria, Atlantic Ocean and Rio de Oro. Industries, agriculture and sheep raising. People, Arabs and Berbers. Religion, Mohammedan. Capital, Rabat (French), Tetuan (Spanish). Sultan Sidi Mohammed acceded Nov. 18, 1927. Total Area, 213,350 sq. m. Total Population, 5,867,271.

New Caledonia
Not found.

Syria
A mandate of France in Asia Minor, is borderd by Turkey, Iraq, Arabia, Trans-Jordan, Palestine and Mediterranean Sea. Consists of the Republics of Syria, Lebanon, Latakia, and Djebel Druze. Religion, Sunni Moslem. Capital Beyrouth (Beirut). High Commissioner , M. le Comte de Martel (1933). Area, 57,460 sq. m. Population 3,130,100.

Tunisia
A French Protectorate on the northern coast of Africa bounded on the north and east by the Mediterranean Sea and on the south and west by Libya and Algeria. Government, by a Resident-General and a ministry of eleven heads. Capital, Tunis. Area, 48,300 sq. m. Population 2,410,692. Some Europeans, but mostly Arabs and Bedouins. Products, oranges, lemons and other citrus fruits, wheat, barley, almonds, pistachios, cork, henna, olives, live stock, woollen goods, leather and leather goods, pottery, sardines and tunny, phosphate, iron ore and lead ore.

Post #: 402
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 6:51:41 PM   
jesperpehrson

Thanks Patrice! 

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 403
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 7:01:30 PM   
jesperpehrson

A new try, any more comments please welcome!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 404
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 8:16:05 PM   
Froonp

Japan colonies

Korea
Annexed to Japan in 1910. Government by a Governor-General. Capital, Keijo (Seoul). Area, 85,206 sq. m. Population, 22,898,695. People, natives with some Japanese and Chinese. Products, rice, grains, cotton, tobacco, sugar, beets, fruits, copper, gold, iron and coal.

Manchukuo
Composed principally of the former Chinese territory of Manchuria. Secured its independence with the help of Japan and set up a provisional republic on February 18, 1932. Preliminary constitution drawn up, March 10, 1932. Recognized by Japan, September 15, 1932. In 1933 Jehol was occupied and made part of Manchukuo. In March 1934, the Chinese Prince, Pu Yi, who has been serving as Chief Executive, was crowned Emperor Kang Teh. Bordered by China, Soviet Union, Korea, Yellow Sea, and Sea of Japan. People, Mongols. Religion, principally Buddhist and Mohammedan. Products, soy beans, millet, wheat, rice, lumber, meat, iron, coal, stone. Capital, Hsinking (Changchun). Emperor Kang Teh (1934). Area, 446,000 sq. m. Population, 36,949,972.

Post #: 405
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 8:18:30 PM   
jesperpehrson

Another example

EDIT: Oops just forgot to use the right background color on both these writeups! Disregard the missmatching colour please! They will be correct in-game!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by capitan -- 8/5/2007 8:54:10 PM >

Post #: 406
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 8:38:06 PM   
Froonp

Italian colonies

Libya
An Italian possession on the northern coast of Africa; Bordered by Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, French West Africa, French Equatorial Africa, and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. Libya (Tripolitania and Cyrenaica) is divided into Tripoli, Misurata, Benghasi and Derna. Made part of Italy proper in October, 1938. Governor, Marshal Italo Balbo. Capital, Tripoli, also the largest city. Official language, Italian and Arabic. Total Area, 632,500 sq. m. Total Population, 717,000. Tripolitania. Area, 347,400 sq. m. Population 552,920, principally Mussulmen and Jews. Cyrenaica. Area, 282,640 sq. m. Population, 164,080. Chief products, sponges, tunny fish, tobacco, salt, matting, carpet, leather goods, gold and silver embroidered fabrics.

Italian East Africa (AOI – Africa Orientale Italiana)
By law passed in June, 1936, Eritrea, Italian Somaliland, and the conquered Empire of Ethiopia became provinces of Italian East Africa, with some readjustments of boundaries between them. Italian East Africa is bounded by the Red Sea, French Somaliland, British Somaliland, Indian Ocean, Kenya and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan.

Eritrea and Italian Somaliland
On the eastern coast of Africa and bordered by the Red Sea, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, Ethiopia, French and British Somaliland, and Kenya. Government, by Civil Governors named by the King and under the Italian Minister for the Colonies. Eritrea. Area, 45,783 sq. m. Population, 621,776, mostly natives. Capital, Asmara. Religion, Mohammedan and Christian. Products, camels, sheep, goats, oxen, palm nuts and pearl. Italian Somaliland. Area, 190,000 sq. m. Population, 1,210,000. Capital, Mogadiscio. Products, maize, cotton, rice, cattle, sheep.

Ethiopia (Abyssinia)
Is in northeastern Africa. People, Semitic and Hamitic. Religion, Coptic sect. Industries, agriculture and grazing. Capital, Addis Ababa. Emperor, Haile Silassie I (1928 till Italian occupation, 1936. Viceroy Duke of Aosta). Area, 350,000 sq. m. Population, 7,500,000 (est).

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 407
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 8:40:51 PM   
Neilster

quote:

Found an article in Jstor:

Hmmm Hmmm! Got to love those alimentary pastes! And phormium. Don't forget phormium!

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 408
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/5/2007 8:59:21 PM   
Froonp

Others’s colonies

Belgian Congo
A colony in West Central Africa belonging to Belgium and surrounded by French Equatorial Africa, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, Uganda protectorate, Tanganyika, Northern Rhodesia, and Angola. Government by a Governor-General. Capital, Leopoldville. Area, 920,656 sq. m. Population 10,000,000, chiefly native blacks. Chief products, cotton, rice, coffee, rubber, ivory, fine hardwoods, copper, diamonds, coal, iron, cobalt, radium, and uranium.

Netherlands East Indies
In the East Indies belonging to the Dutch, and including Java and Madura, Sumatra, Bagka, Billiton, Riau, Borneo, Celebes Island, Molucca Islands (including New Guinea) and Timor Archipelago, and several smaller islands. Government, by a Governor-General assisted by a Council, all appointed by the Queen. Capita, Batavia. Area, 733,642 sq. m. Population, 60,731,025. Products, coffee, rice, maize, Cassava, sweet potatoes, soy beans, sugar cane, indigo, capsicum, native rubber, tobacco, oil palms, cocoa, cinchona, tea and live stock (chiefly horses, cattle and buffaloes), tin and coal.

Mongolia
In Asia, between China and the Soviet Union. Government, similar to the Soviet form and called the People’s Revolutionary Government. A Parliament (the Great Huruldan) elected by universal suffrage (males and females over eighteen years of age) meets once a year. They in turn elect en Executive Committee (the Little Huruldan) which is responsible to them. Capital, Ulan Bator Khoto (Urga). Area, 558,054 sq. m. Population, 6,160,000. Religion, Lamaism. Products, horses, sheep, camels, oxen, wool, skins, furs, and gold.

Philippines
Too long (p166-167).

Other non colony Countries

Liberia
A republic on the west coast of Africa, was settled by freed slaves from North America in 1822, and became independent in 1847. Language, English. Capital, Monrovia. President, Edwin Barclay (1932, re-elected, 1936). Area, 43,000 sq. m. (est). Population, 2,250,000.

Saudi Arabia
Great Arid peninsula in southwestern Asia, has an estimated area of 1,000,000 sq. m. and a population estimated at 7,000,000. Included within it are the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Hejaz and Nejd); The Hadramaut; The Imamate of Yemen; The Sultanate of Kuweit; The Sultanate of Oman; Aden and several Sheikdoms. People, Arabians. Religion, Moslem. Capitals, Mecca and Riyadh. King of Saudi Arabia, Abdul Aziz ibn Abdur-Rahman Al Faisal Al Sa’ud (1927).

Siam
A Kingdom of southeastern Asia, is bordered by Burma (in British India), French Indochina, Gulf of Siam, and Federated Malay States. Religion, Buddhist. Exports, rice, teak, tin. Capital, Bangkok. King, Ananda Mashidol (March 2, 1935) Area, 200,148 sq. m. Population, 14,464,489.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 8/5/2007 9:48:56 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 409
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2007 12:59:41 AM   
Froonp

Some of the CW colonies

Aden
Talked about in Saudi Arabia entry.

Anglo-Egyptian Sudan
An Anglo-Egyptian condominium south of Egypt, watered by White Nile and Blue Nile. Exports, cotton, gum arabic, ivory. Governor-General, Sir George Stewart Symes. Capital, Khartoum. Area, 972,600 sq. m. Population, 5,816,376.

British Somaliland
A British Protectorate, in eastern Africa. Government, administered by a Governor and Commander-in-Chief, who resides at the capital, Berbera. Area, 68,000 sq. m. Population, 344,768, chiefly Mohammedan. Products, skins, hides, gum and resins, cattle, goats, sheep, and species.

Burma
Not found yet.

Egypt
Kingdom and ancient land of northeastern Africa, borders the Mediterranean and the Red Sea. Population is along the Nile, where yearly overflow, regulated by the Aswan Dam and canals, gives fertility. Proclaimed independent March 15, 1932. Capital, Cairo. King, Farouk I (1936). Area, 383,000 sq. m. Cultivated Area, 13,600 sq. m. Population, 15,546,000.

Kenya
A British Colony and Protectorate in East Africa, bordered by Ethiopia, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, Italian Somaliland, the Indian Ocean, Uganda Protectorate, and Tanganyika. Government, by a Governor, and Executive Council and a Legislative Council. Capital, Nairobi. Area, 224,960 sq. m. Population, 3,094,300. Religion, Pagan beliefs, and Mohammedanism. Products, coffee, wheat, tea, maize, wattle, sugar, coconuts, cotton, sisal, hardwoods, camphor and cedar.

Nigeria
A British Protectorate and Colony on the southwest coast of Africa, bounded by French West Africa, French Equatorial Africa, and Cameroons. Government, by a Governor and an Executive Council, and a Legislative Council. The Colony is divided into Northern Provinces with a Chief Commissioner, and Southern Provinces with a Lieutenant-Governor. Capital, Lagos. Area, 372,674 sq. m. Population, 19,928,171. Religion, chiefly Pagan. Products, valuable woods, palm oil, palm kernels, cocoa, tin ore, cotton lint, mahogany, tanned sheep and goat skins, iron, lead, coal, silver, lignite, and manganese.

Northern Ireland
Not found yet.

Northern Rhodesia
A British Colony on a high plateau in southern Africa. Bounded by Belgian Congo, Mozambique, Nyasaland, Tanganyika, Southern Rhodesia and Angola. Government, by a Governor, and Executive Council and a Legislative Council. Capital, Lusaka. Area, 290,320 sq. m. Population, 1,393,258, mostly natives. Products, tobacco, wheat, coffee, maize, cattle, gold, silver, lead, zinc, copper, vanadium and coal.

Palestine
The British mandate includes also Trans-Jordan. Present-day Palestine is bordered by Syria (a French mandate), Trans-Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Mediterranean Sea. People, chiefly Arabs; Jewish colonies growing. Exports, wine, soap, olive oil, oranges, lemons. Capital, Jerusalem. High Commissioner, Sir Alfred H. MacMichael (1938). Area 10,155 sq m. Population, 1,261,000.

Rhodesia
A British Colony lying south of Northern Rhodesia in southern Africa. Government, by a Governor and Commander-in-Chief, an Executive Council and a Legislature. Capital, Salisbury. Area, 150,354 sq. m. Population, 1,258,860. Products, maize, tobacco, legumes, ground nuts, lemons, oranges and other fruits, gold, coal, chrome ore, and asbestos.

Sierra Leone
Not found yet.

Tanganyika
A British Mandate, is on the eastern coast of Africa, bounded by Mozambique, Northern Rhodesia, Belgian Congo, Ugandan Kenya, and Indian Ocean. Government, by a Governor, and Executive Council and a Legislative Council. Capital, Dar es Salaam. Area, 363,584 sq. m. Population, 4,988,338. Products, cotton, coffee, sesame, beeswax, groundnuts, grains, valuable woods, gold, diamonds, tin, mica, red ochre, and salt.

Uganda
A British Protectorate in the central part of East Africa, bordered by Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, Kenya, Lake Victoria and Tanganyika Territory, and Belgian Congo. Government, by a Governor and Commander-in-Chief, a Legislative Council and an Executive Council, with native chiefs and kings conducting government in their own provinces under the Governor. Capital, Entebbe. Area, 93,981 sq. m. Population, 3,640,638. Products, cotton, oil seeds, coffee, tin ore, hides, ivory, tobacco and sugar.

Australia
British self-governed dominion occupying the continent of Australia, with Tasmania. Its mandates include New Guinea and (to some degree) Nauru. Papua and the British territories are under the administration of Australia. The six states of Australia are: New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, and Tasmania. There are also the Northern Territory and the Federal Capital Territory in Australia proper. People and language. The people are English and speak English. Products, diversified animal and agricultural, also minerals, lumber, fish. Capital, Canberra. Governor-General, Lord Gowrie (1936). Prime Minister, Rt. Hon. Robert Gordon Menzies. Area, 2,974,581 sq. m. Population, 6,629,839 (1933), 6,706,438 (1935). Aborigines not included, about 60,000.

Canada
Too long.

India
Of which the British King is Emperor, is bordered by Afghanistan, China, Siam, Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea. Chief Industry, agriculture. Minerals, coal, iron, petroleum, gold, silver, precious stones. Viceroy, Marquess of Linlithgow (Victor Alexander John Hope (1936)). Religions, Hinduism, Islam, others. Area, 1,808,679 sq. m. Population, 352,837,778.

New Zealand
A British self-governing dominion, South Pacific, consists of two large islands (North and South) and various small ones. About 1,200 miles east of Australia, New Zealand extends from 35°S to 46°S. Agricultural, forest and mineral resources are of great value. Exports, wool, dairy products, frozen meats, other animal products. People (except Maoris), British. Language, English. Capital, Wellington. Governor-General, Viscount Galway (1935). Area (total), 103,862 sq. m. Population, 1,573,810 (1936).

South Africa
One of the self-governed dominions of the British Empire, includes Cape of Good Hope, Natal, Transvaal, and Orange Free State. It is remarkable for mineral production, with gold, diamonds, platinum, coal tin and copper. People, Dutch, British, natives. Languages, English, Dutch. Capital, Pretoria, and Capetown. Governor-General, Hon. Patrick Duncan (1936). Prime Minister, General JBM Hertzog. Area, 472,550 sq. m. Population, 9,479,985. Southwest Africa, A mandate, borders the Atlantic and extends from Orange River to Angola. Area, 322,393 sq. m. Population, 266,930.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 410
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2007 1:30:15 AM   
jesperpehrson

Great work Patrice! The write-ups for all colonial units will be a breeze now. 

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 411
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2007 1:48:48 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

New Zealand
About 1,200 miles east of Australia, New Zealand extends from 35°S to 46°S. ...

I can advise you that NZedders do not like being referred to in relation to Australia. They'd rather describe themselves as southeast of New Guinea.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 412
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2007 2:45:12 PM   
YohanTM2

But for most of us it is their positioning relative to Australia that matters
quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

New Zealand

I can advise you that NZedders do not like being referred to in relation to Australia. They'd rather describe themselves as southeast of New Guinea.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 413
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2007 5:49:19 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

New Zealand

When New Zealand is inevitably absorbed into Australia's Greater South East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, I propose re-naming it East Tasmania.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 414
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2007 6:36:09 PM   
Gendarme

If Italy could've just sat the war out and drilled for that oil in Libya, they would've been sittin' pretty. Until the eventual end of colonialism, that is... Plus, Mussolini would've lived to old age like Franco and Italy probably would've gone back to its constitutional monarchy when he died. And been the richer for not having been in the war while selling oil to the other powers for its duration.

From Claudio Segre's The Fourth Shore, a book about the colonization of Libya, supposedly a survey was conducted and it was known where oil was most likely to have been found there but the war interrupted all attempts at development.

Maybe Italy's best strategy in Wif or MWif is to stay neutral, make a neutrality pact/trade agreement with the USA or CW and build its oil resources. Then Germany should be able to attack Italy just out of spite!

Anthony DeChristopher

quote:

Italian colonies

Libya
An Italian possession on the northern coast of Africa; Bordered by Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, French West Africa, French Equatorial Africa, and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. Libya (Tripolitania and Cyrenaica) is divided into Tripoli, Misurata, Benghasi and Derna. Made part of Italy proper in October, 1938. Governor, Marshal Italo Balbo. Capital, Tripoli, also the largest city. Official language, Italian and Arabic. Total Area, 632,500 sq. m. Total Population, 717,000. Tripolitania. Area, 347,400 sq. m. Population 552,920, principally Mussulmen and Jews. Cyrenaica. Area, 282,640 sq. m. Population, 164,080. Chief products, sponges, tunny fish, tobacco, salt, matting, carpet, leather goods, gold and silver embroidered fabrics.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 415
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/6/2007 7:55:44 PM   
Froonp

Here are expanded entries for CW home countries, where I added the full names of rulers in the period of WWII.
From the 1940 Collier Atlas, pages 179-183, expanded upon

Australia
British self-governed dominion occupying the continent of Australia, with Tasmania. Its mandates include New Guinea and (to some degree) Nauru. Papua and the British territories are under the administration of Australia. The six states of Australia are: New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, and Tasmania. There are also the Northern Territory and the Federal Capital Territory in Australia proper. People and language. The people are English and speak English. Products, diversified animal and agricultural, also minerals, lumber, fish. Capital, Canberra. Governor-General, Lord Gowrie Alexander Hore-Ruthven (1936-1945). Prime Minister, Right Hon. Robert Gordon Menzies (1939-1941), Sir Arthur William Fadden (1941), John Joseph Curtin (1941-1945). Area, 2,974,581 sq. m. Population, 6,629,839 (1933), 6,706,438 (1935). Aborigines not included, about 60,000.

Canada
Too long (p173-178).

India
Of which the British King is Emperor, is bordered by Afghanistan, China, Siam, Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea. Chief Industry, agriculture. Minerals, coal, iron, petroleum, gold, silver, precious stones. Viceroy, Marquess of Linlithgow Victor Alexander John Hope (1936-1943), Field Marshal Sir Archibald Percival Wavell (1943-1947). Religions, Hinduism, Islam, others. Area, 1,808,679 sq. m. Population, 352,837,778.

New Zealand
A British self-governing dominion, South Pacific, consists of two large islands (North and South) and various small ones. About 1,200 miles east of Australia, New Zealand extends from 35°S to 46°S. Agricultural, forest and mineral resources are of great value. Exports, wool, dairy products, frozen meats, other animal products. People (except Maoris), British. Language, English. Capital, Wellington. Governor-General, Viscount Galway George Monckton-Arundell (1935-1941), Sir Cyril Louis Norton Newall (1941-1946). Area (total), 103,862 sq. m. Population, 1,573,810 (1936).

South Africa
One of the self-governed dominions of the British Empire, includes Cape of Good Hope, Natal, Transvaal, and Orange Free State. It is remarkable for mineral production, with gold, diamonds, platinum, coal tin and copper. People, Dutch, British, natives. Languages, English, Dutch. Capital, Pretoria, and Capetown. Governor-General, Hon. Patrick Duncan (1936-1943), Nicolaas Jacobus de Wet (1943–1946). Prime Minister, General James Barry Munnik Hertzog (1924-1939) Field Marshal Jan Christiaan Smuts (1939-1948). Area, 472,550 sq. m. Population, 9,479,985. Southwest Africa, A mandate, borders the Atlantic and extends from Orange River to Angola. Area, 322,393 sq. m. Population, 266,930.

(in reply to Gendarme)
Post #: 416
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/7/2007 12:20:23 AM   
Froonp

From the 1940 Collier Atlas, pages 179-183, expanded upon
Other non colony Countries

Afghanistan
An Asiatic kingdom, borders Soviet Union, India and Iran (Persia). Peoples, Afghans, Tajiks and independent tribes. Religion, Islam. Products, grains, fruits, hides, wool. Capital, Kabul. King Mohammed Zahir Shah (1933-1973). Area, 245,000 sq. m. Population, 9,000,000 (est).

Argentina
Argentina Republic occupies a major part of southern South America ad is ordered by Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, Uruguay, Atlantic Ocean and Chile. Forest, field and animal products are exported. People, chiefly Spanish descent. Language, Spanish. Capital, Buenos Aires. President, Roberto María Ortiz (1938-1942) Ramón Castillo (1942-1943), Arturo Rawson (1943), Pedro Pablo Ramírez (1943-1944), Edelmiro Julián Farrell (1944-1946). Area, 1,079,965 sq. m. Population, 12,228,000.

Belgium
Kingdom of Belgium, in Western Europe, is bordered by the Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, France and the North Sea. Languages in Belgium are French and Flemish. Products, iron and steel, motor cars, glass, lace, artificial silk. Capital, Brussels. King Leopold III (1934-1951). Area, 11,752 sq. m. Population, 8,275,552.

Bolivia
Bolivian Republic is an inland country of South America, lying across the Andes and bordered by Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile and Peru. People, Indians, mixed races, Spanish. Religion, Roman Catholic. Products, rubber, hides, cocoa, alpaca wool, oil, tin, lead, copper, silver. Capitals, Sucre and La Paz. President, David Toro Ruilova (1936-1937), Germán Busch (1937-1939), Carlos Quintanilla (1939-1940), Enrique Peñaranda (1940-1943), Gualberto Villarroel (1943-1946). Area, 514,464 sq. m. Population, 3,077,660.

Brazil
United States of Brazil, the largest South American country, occupies the eastern and central part of the continent and is bordered by every South American nation except Chile. Near the Equator in northern Brazil, the Amazon, greatest of rivers, drains a vast forest region. People and language, largely Portuguese, except Indians. Religion, chiefly Roman Catholic. Products, coffee, cotton, sugar, rubber, hides, woods, manganese, gold. Capital, Rio de Janeiro. President, Dr. Getulio Vargas (1930-1945 & 1951-1954). Area, 3,285,319 sq. m. Population, 45,332,660.

Bulgaria
A kingdom in the Balkan Peninsula, southeastern Europe, is bordered by Rumania, Black Sea, Turkey, Greece and Yugoslavia. Agriculture is the chief industry. People, Bulgars. Religion, Orthodox Greek Catholic. Capital, Sofia. King, Boris III (1918-1943), Simeon II (1943-1946). Area, 39,814 sq. m. Population, 6,090,215.

Chile
Republic of Chile, extends for some 2,485 miles along the southwest coast of South America. People, chiefly of Spanish descent. Language, Spanish. Products, nitrates, copper, iron ore, gold, silver, coal, grains and fruits. Capital, Santiago. President, Pedro Aguirre Cerda (1938-1941), Juan Antonio Ríos (1942-1946). Area, 286,322 sq. m. Population, 4,626,508.

Colombia
The Republic of Colombia. This South American countries lies in the northwestern part of the continent and is bordered by Panama, Caribbean Sea (640 miles), Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Pacific Ocean (465 miles). Language, Spanish. Products, precious metals, emeralds, tropical fruits, coffee, hides, rubber. Capital, bogota. President, Alfonso Lopez Pumarejo (1934-1938 & 1942-1945), Eduardo Santos Montejo (1938-1942). Area, 441,651 sq. m. Population, 9,018,000.

Czechoslovakia
Central Europe, is bordered by Germany, Poland, Rumania and Hungary. Exports, beet sugar, glass textiles. Capital, Prague. Area, 54,192 sq. m. Population, 15,096,025 (Before partition and annexation). In October, 1938, Germany occupied the Sudetenland area and in March, 1939, seized the remaining provinces. Hungary claimed Carpathian Ruthenia in the South (1939).

Denmark
Kingdom of Denmark, on the Peninsula of Jutland and adjacent islands, western Europe, is bordered by Skagerrak, Baltic Sea, Germany and North Sea. Greenland and Faeroe Islands belong to Denmark. Iceland, otherwise independent, has the same King. Agriculture and dairying are the chief industries, with manufacturing also important. King, Christian X (1912-1947). Area, 16,571 sq. m. Population, 3,656,000.

Ecuador
Republic of Ecuador, on the west coast of South America, is crossed by the Equator. People are largely Indian, or of mixed race. Products, tropical, include cocoa, cagua, ivory, nuts, coffee, hides and rubber. Capital, Quito. Provisional President, Federico Páez Chiriboga (1935-1937), Gil Alberto Enríquez (1937-1938), Manuel María Borrero (1938), Aurelio Mosquera (1938-1939), Carlos del Rio (1939 & 1940-1944), Andrés Córdova (1939-1940), Julio Enrique Moreno (1940), Julio Teodoro Salem Gallegos (1944-1944), José María Velasco Ibarra (1944-1947). Area, claimed 276,000 sq. m. Administered 176,155 sq. m. Population, 2,646,645.

Finland
A European Republic independent since 1919, is bordered by Norway, Arctic Ocean, Soviet Union, Gulf of Finland, Baltic Sea, Gulf of Bothnia and Sweden. Lumbering, agriculture and dairying are basic industries. People, Finns. Religion, Lutheran. Capital, Helsinki. President, Pehr Evind Svinhufvud (1931-1937), Kyosti Kallio (1937-1940), Risto Ryti (1940-1944), Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim (1944-1946). Area, 149,954 sq. m. (17,314 sq. m. water). Population, 3,762,000.

Greece
Kingdom of Greece, situated on a peninsula extending from southern Europe into the Mediterranean and bounded on the north by Albania, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Turkey. Products, olive oil, wine, textiles, cereals, leather. King, George II (1922-1924 & 1935-1947 (recalled from exile)). Capital, Athens. Area, 54,092 sq. m. Population, 6,750,000.

Hungary
Kingdom of Hungary, formerly united with Austria in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Hungary became a republic in November 16, 1918. Since March 23, 1920 the country has been a monarchy with a regent. Hungary lost parts of Transylvania to Rumania; Croatia and Slovenia to Yugoslavia. People, Magyars. Language, Hungarian. Religion, Roman Catholic. Capital, Budapest. Regent, Admiral Nicholas Horthy de Nagybanya (1920-1944). Area, 35,875 sq. m. (not including the Carpathian Ruthenia annexion). Population, 8,898,367.

Iran (Persia)
Is a kingdom in southwestern Asia, on the Plateau of Iran. It is bordered by Soviet Union, Caspian Sea, Afghanistan, Baluchistan, Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf and Iraq. It is a land of ancient history. People, Persian. Religion, Islam, Shi’a sect. Exports, petroleum, carpets, fruits, skins, tobacco. Capital, Teheran. Shah, Reza Shah (1925-1941), Mohammad Reza Pahlavi (1941-1979). Area, 628,000 sq. m. Population, 15,055,115.

Liberia
A republic on the west coast of Africa, was settled by freed slaves from North America in 1822, and became independent in 1847. People, Black Africans. Language, English. Capital, Monrovia. President, Edwin James Barclay (1930-1944), William Vacanarat Shadrach Tubman (1944-1971). Area, 43,000 sq. m. (est). Population, 2,250,000.

Mexico
Mexican Republic, immediately south of the United States, is bordered by the United States, Gulf of Mexico, British Honduras, Guatemala and the Pacific Ocean. People, Indians, mixed races, whites of Spanish descent. Language, Spanish. Religion, Roman Catholic predominating. Products, silver, gold, copper, lead, oil, coal and other minerals, henequen, coffee, rubber, hides, guayule, cattle, sugar. Natural resources are great. Capital, Mexico, D.F. President, General Lázaro Cárdenas (1934-1940), Manuel Ávila Camacho (1940-1946). Area, 760,290 sq. m. Population, 16,552,722.

Netherlands
The Netherlands (Holland), a kingdom of Western Europe, bordered by North Sea, Germany and Belgium. Possessions include Netherland East Indies (Java, Sumatra, part of Borneo, Celebes, other islands), Curaçao and the Dutch Guyana in South America. People and language, Dutch. Religion, Dutch Reformed, Roman Catholic, others Christian, Mohammedan, and Buddhist. Capital, The Hague. Queen, Wilhelmina (1890-1948). Area, 13,202 sq. m. Population, 8,392,102.

Norway
A European monarchy occupying the western par of the Scandinavian Peninsula, is bordered by Finland, Sweden, Skaggerak, North Sea and Atlantic Ocean. People and language, Norwegian. Religion, Evangelical Lutheran. Resources, forests, fisheries, water power. Exports, canned fish, undressed furs, wood pulp, ship propellers, hydroelectric power. Capital, Oslo (Christiana). King, Haakon VII (1905-1957). Area, 124,984 sq. m. (besides Svalbard, 21,142 sq. m. est). Population, 2,871,400.

Panama
Republic of Panama is bordered by Costa Rica, Caribbean Sea, Colombia and Pacific Ocean, and crossed by the Canal Zone. People, Spanish, Black Africans, Indians. Language, Spanish. Religion, chiefly Roman Catholic. Product, bananas, cacao, coconuts, caoutchouc, coffee, sugar, tobacco, woods, hides, pearl shell, tortoise shell. Capital, Panama. President, Juan Demostenes Arosemena (1936-1939), Arnulfo Arias Madrid (1940-1941), Ricardo Adolfo de la Guardia Arango (1941-1945). Area, 29,065 sq. m. Population, 483,800 (not including the Canal Zone).

Paraguay
Republic of Paraguay an inland country of South America, is bordered by Bolivia, Brazil and Argentina. Paraguay River gives access to the sea. People, of Indian, Spanish, some Black Africans origins. Language, Spanish. Religion, Roman Catholic. Exports, cattle products, yerba, tobacco, cotton. Capital, Asuncion. President, Dr Eusebio Ayala (1932-1936), Col. Rafael Franco (1936-1937), Dr Felix Paiva (1937-1939), Gen. José Félix Estigarribia (1939-1940), Gen. Higinio Morinigo (1940-1948). Area, 272,395 sq. m. Population, 901,768.

Peru
Republic of Peru, on the west coast of South America, is bordered by Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile and Pacific Ocean. It was the land of the Incas. People, Indians, mestizos, whites. Exports, petroleum, copper, silver, coffee, sugar, cotton, cinchona, wool, hides. Capital, Lima. President, Gen. Don Óscar R. Benavides (1914-1915 & 1933-1939), Manuel Prado y Ugarteche (1939-1945 & 1956-1962). Area, 482,258 sq. m. Population, 6,237,000.

Poland
Polish Republic, established in November, 1918, included Russian Poland and part of East Prussia, Upper Silesia, Galicia, Posen and Lithuania. It was bordered by Baltic Sea, Lithuania, Latvia, Soviet Union, Rumania, Czechoslovakia and Germany. People, Slavs and Jews. Religion, chiefly Roman Catholic. Exports, coal, petroleum, iron and steel, zinc, timber, grains, animal products. Capital, Warsaw. Area, about 149,915 sq. m. Population, 33,418,000. Partitionned September, 1939 between Germany and Russia.

Portugal
Portuguese Republic, in the western part of the Iberian Peninsula, is bordered by Spain and Atlantic Ocean. People and language, Portuguese. Religion, Roman Catholic. Exports, sardines, cork, olive oil, resin, planks, hides, chemicals, wool. Capital, Lisbon. President, Marshall António Óscar Carmona (1926-1951). Area, 35,490 sq. m. Population, 6,825,000. Area of Colonies, 812,606 sq. m., Population of Colonies, 8,915,705.

Rumania
A kingdom in the Balkans, southeastern Europe, is bordered by Czechoslovakia, Poland, Soviet Union, Black Sea, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Hungary. People and language, Rumanian, Magyars, German, Jews, and various Slavic groups. Religion, Orthodox Church predominant. Exports, gain, petroleum, timber. Capital Bucharest. King, Carol II (1930-1940), Michael I (1940-1947). Area, 122,282 sq. m. Population, 19,013,363.

Saudi Arabia
Great Arid peninsula in southwestern Asia, has an estimated area of 1,000,000 sq. m. and a population estimated at 7,000,000. Included within it are the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Hejaz and Nejd); The Hadramaut; The Imamate of Yemen; The Sultanate of Kuwait; The Sultanate of Oman; Aden and several Sheikdoms. People, Arabians. Religion, Moslem. Capitals, Mecca and Riyadh. King of Saudi Arabia, Abdul Aziz ibn Abdur-Rahman Al Faisal Al Sa’ud (1927-1953).

Siam
A Kingdom of southeastern Asia, is bordered by Burma (in British India), French Indochina, Gulf of Siam, and Federated Malay States. Religion, Buddhist. Exports, rice, teak, tin. Capital, Bangkok. King, Ananda Mashidol (Rama VIII) (1935-1946) Area, 200,148 sq. m. Population, 14,464,489.

Spain
A republic of southwestern Europe, is bordered by Atlantic Ocean, France, Portugal, Mediterranean Sea, Strait and fortress of Gibraltar. Religion, Roman Catholic. Exports, olives, oranges, wine, quicksilver, minerals, cork, flax, cotton goods. President, Manuel Azaña (1936-1939). Prime Minister, Gen. Francisco Franco (1939-1975). Capital, Madrid. Area, European, 195,010 sq. m.; of colonies, 128,696 sq. m. Population, European, 24,583,096; of colonies, 934,686. Canary Island, Area,1,935 sq. m. Population, 370,853, Canaries and Balearic included with Spain proper.

Sweden
A European kingdom in the eastern part of the Scandinavian Peninsula, is bordered by Finland, Gulf of Bothnia, Baltic Sea, Kattegat, and Norway. Religion, Lutheran. Products, timber, paper pulp, dairy products, iron and steel, machinery. Capital, Stockholm. King, Gustav V (1907-1950). Area, 173,105 sq. m. Population, 6,233,100.

Switzerland
The Swiss Confederation, a republic in the Alps, is bordered by Germany, Austria, Italy and France. It originated August 1, 1291. People, Swiss. Language, German, French, Italian, Romansh. Religion, Protestant, Roman Catholic. Export, dairy products, salt, machinery, clocks, watches. Capital, Bern. President Albert Meyer (1936), Giuseppe Motta (1937), Johannes Baumann (1938), Philipp Etter (1939), Marcel Pilet-Golaz (1940), Ernst Wetter (1941), Philipp Etter (1942), Enrico Celio (1943), Walther Stampfli (1944), Eduard von Steiger (1945), Karl Kobelt (1946). Area, 15,940 sq. m. Population, 4,066,400.

Turkey
The Republic of Turkey, in southwestern Asia and southeastern Europe, is bordered by Greece, Bulgaria, Black Sea, Soviet Union, Persia, Iraq, Syria, Mediterranean Sea, Aegean Sea. People and language, Turkish. Resources, minerals, timber. Exports, tobacco, cereals, textiles, cotton, fruits. Capital, Ankara. President, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (1923-1938), General İsmet İnönü (1938-1950). Area, 294,415 sq. m. Population, 16,188,800.

Uruguay
Republic of Uruguay, in southeastern South America, is bordered by Brazil, Atlantic Ocean and Argentina. People, of Spanish descent. Language, Spanish. Religion, Roman Catholic. Products, grains, live-stock, animal products. Capital, Montevideo. President, Dr. Gabriel Terra (1931-1938), Gen. Alfredo Baldomir (1938-1943), Juan José de Amézaga (1943-1947). Area, 72,153 sq. m. Population, 2,020,040.

Venezuela
United States of Venezuela, a republic of the northern coast of South America, is bordered by Caribbean Sea, British Guyana, Brazil and Colombia, and crossed by the Orinoco River. Agriculture and cattle raising are chief industries. Language, Spanish. Religion, Roman Catholic. Products, coffee, cacao, balata, cattle, hides, petroleum. Capital, Caracas. President, General Eleazar López Contreras (1935-1941), Isaías Medina (1941-1945). Area, 352,051 sq. m. Population, 3,291,442.

Yugoslavia
Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, is a European Kingdom in the Balkans, bordered by Austria, Hungary, Rumania, Greece, Albania, Adriatic Sea and Italy. People, Slavs. Resources, coal, iron, copper and other minerals, forest products, tobacco, silk, cattle. Capital, Belgrade. King, Peter II (1934-1945). Area, 95,551 sq. m. Population, 14,513,706.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 417
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/12/2007 2:18:34 PM   
Jimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gendarme

If Italy could've just sat the war out and drilled for that oil in Libya, they would've been sittin' pretty. Until the eventual end of colonialism, that is... Plus, Mussolini would've lived to old age like Franco and Italy probably would've gone back to its constitutional monarchy when he died. And been the richer for not having been in the war while selling oil to the other powers for its duration.

From Claudio Segre's The Fourth Shore, a book about the colonization of Libya, supposedly a survey was conducted and it was known where oil was most likely to have been found there but the war interrupted all attempts at development.

Possibly; as you rightly say, no significant efforts were made to access the Libyan oilfields till well after the war. I did some investigation a while ago and it seems that Italy also did not bother to look into Synthetic oil manufacture in any significant scale during the war- their main imports came from the occupied Balkans. It seems Il Duce had a fairly short sighted view of the course of the war.

(in reply to Gendarme)
Post #: 418
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/12/2007 3:15:48 PM   
dale1066

All interesting stuff re resources etc. If you want to know more about the impact of Oil and Oil production in the war I recommend Daniel Yergins Pulitzer prize winning book "The Prize" ISBN 0-1671-71189-X. the pre war and war years chapters are very interesting. Lots of detail on pre-war US-Japan entry diplomacy, Oil production figures in '35 compared to '45, german reliance on Synthetic oil etc.

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 419
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 8/12/2007 4:45:08 PM   
jesperpehrson

For those of you who missed it, we still need help with write-ups! It is fun, interesting and gives you an edge when trying to get into beta-testing (according the Greyshaft, the grandmaster of Betatesters). So far we have done nearly 40% of the writeups but we still have a massive task ahead of us meeting the deadline (whenever that is ).

Send me a PM if you are one the willing!

(in reply to dale1066)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI