Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't attack hex

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Can't attack hex Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 1:02:58 PM   
Irish army63

This question has probably been asked before, so apologies if it has been. As a novice at this game I'm wondering why your units something can't attack enemy hexes.

Also, a subsidiary question; when and how do you use air support to spy on enemy units?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 1:21:02 PM   
JudgeDredd

Attacking enemy hexes? You don't say, but I presume you have activated the HQ?

As for air power, I'm not sure. I think it's the first impulse after the strategic phase (or is it on the strategic phase). Either way, if you click on an enemy hex and have air power in the region, a menu option will appear offering air recon. Be aware that your air recon is limited.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Irish army63)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 1:21:21 PM   
SMK-at-work

There are a number of reasons you might not be able to attack and enemy hex - have you activated your infantry by using up a HQ point adjacentto them? If not then they won't be able to attack.

Cavalry cannot attack into city, rough and mountain hexes - in fact they can't even move into them even if they're yours, except by strategic movement.

And lastly attacking units have to meet the stacking limits of hte hex they're attacking into....so once that number of stacking points is attacking no more can be used to attack that hex.

You use air support by clicking on an anamy hex in hte activation phase. If you have any recce available then it will come up with a dialogue box asking if you want to use it.

The recce number in the dialogue box counts down as you use up your allowance for the turn, and the number of hexes you can recce this turn in each theatre is given in the ribbon across the top of the map like this i if I click on "Air Reconaissance #1" it will tell me what's in that hex, but I only have 1 air recce on hte western front this turn (W:1, and also 1 on hte Eastern front (E:1)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 1:21:40 PM   
boogada

To attack enemy hexes you have to activate a HQ unit first and then you can use the troops adjected to that HQ. Artillery can always attack those hexes.

You can use the air support also during the activation phase, be clicking on enemy units. (if you have air support on that front)

Post #: 4
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 1:23:18 PM   
boogada

wow three answers during 38 seconds..... looks like somebody activated us...

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 1:25:02 PM   
JudgeDredd

lol...much more detailed and helpful answer than mine!!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 4:01:14 PM   
Irish army63

Thanks for that. Don't worry, I'm not quite so thick that I don't activate the HQs. The problem might be one of stacking limits. I'll check it out later and get back.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 4:25:12 PM   
*Lava*

Well...

Make sure you don't try to move a stack with an un-activated HQ on top, it won't move. You have shuffle down below the HQ and if the counters are yellow, then the stack can attack (minus the un-activated HQ).

For Air Recon... remember that Activation time = Air Recon time. Do your air recon first before you decide where to attack and then activate the HQ's. Also remember to check where your artillery is because with a hex illuminated by air recon they take even more punishment from artillery.

So actually... the Activation phase has a lot of stuff to do besides just activating HQ's.

Ray (alias Lava)

Post #: 8
RE: Can't attack hex - 8/21/2007 5:44:42 PM   
Irish army63

Lava, I think you've answered my questions. Thank you.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Can't attack hex Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI