Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/18/2000 12:27:00 AM   
Kharan

Just had the weirdest game. It was a 3-player LAN match (2 players need to be on host's side for the 3rd to get to deployment). The computer stole all our troops! At the end of each player's turn, the AI used what was left of moving and firing points. When I checked the HQ screen, all units were shown under computer control. But even as I changed them to human control, the next turn all units were back in AI's hands. Also, the game was pretty laggy with opfire counting out before the prompt was shown, firings shown in the wrong order, units warping and reincarnating. Finally at turn 11 it synced out. Oh well, better stick to 2-player games (which haven't synced out, or had much problems anyway) until the next version.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 121
- 9/18/2000 2:05:00 AM   
David Heath

Tom Proudfoot, Paul Vebber and myself have been testing and retesting the Internet and PBEM..... v4.1 should correct alot of these issues. David

Post #: 122
- 9/18/2000 2:32:00 AM   
Kharan

Thanks David, and I'm sure it will. [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited September 17, 2000).]

Post #: 123
- 9/18/2000 3:53:00 AM   
Rover

Didn't see it mentioned but with the limited ammo set so units don't get a full loadout it worked fine in the first battle of a generated campaign (German vs. Polish) but I noticed when I started the second battle all my units received full ammo loadouts.

Post #: 124
- 9/18/2000 4:49:00 AM   
troopie

Anzac Commandos parachuted onto their LZs and disappeared!. They landed on two VHs took them and vanished. Not a shot was fired at them! In the HQ roster afterwards it said, Reinforce, R-1 T-255 troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 125
- 9/18/2000 5:54:00 AM   
Antonius

I have the feeling that there's something wrong with the replacement of crews in campaigns. I just finished the 8th battle with the russians in 1941 and lost two crews with experience levels and morale levels above 90. After replacing the tanks for the next battle, the morale level dropped to about 65 (normal for 1941 soviets) but the experience level remained the same ! Now I have crews with an experience of 90+ and a morale of 65... I had the same impression in the previous battle too as I found no unexperienced crew in my tank formations even though I knew I had lost crews so this time I took notes before the battle ended. I've reloaded a similar 2.3 campaign (keeping 2.3 till all PBEMs are finished...) where my tank formations are made up of both high exp. and low exp. level crews, so crew replacement worked fine in 2.3 but seems to have influenced by some modification in the upgrade from 2.3 to 4.0 [This message has been edited by Antonius (edited September 17, 2000).]

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 126
- 9/18/2000 12:25:00 PM   
Soma

Hi ! I found only one related posting according to the bug (or should I say oddity) I found, and this was from may 2000 ! HQ Bunkers are shown as trucks (or is it a halftrack ? It's definitely no Bunker) and in an USMC campaign a sniper was shown as an artillery piece (this guy must be good !!!!). I found this in the unit selection screen at the beginning of the campaign and can't say, if it was the same in the game itself, because I also had the strange no-map-and-no-minimap-bug when starting. Really looking forward of the bugfixes, but nevertheless, even with bugs SPWAW is a way better game than many others bugfree !!!!! Soma [This message has been edited by Soma (edited September 18, 2000).]

Post #: 127
- 9/18/2000 7:26:00 PM   
Leonidas

Hi, had a two player onlineplay yetserday. We agreed on spending both 500 p for strike aircraft. So both of us were prepared and bought AA-guns. But when the planes came in none of the AAs fired. In addition we tried rocket batteries, but independant from which sort of arty (fast or normal) we choose in the preferences, all rocket shots hit the same hex. mm

Post #: 128
- 9/18/2000 7:40:00 PM   
Charles22

With the new op fire in V4.0, I've noticed two isolated incidents, which should prove easy to prove or disprove, but I've only ran across one incident of each so far. Perhaps someone can relate, having played it more than myself, whether the following is true. I've had a tank adjacent to a engineer unit, with the engineer set on the range of one. The tank was not attacked, nor did the tank see the engineers. I'm quite positive that this engineer had not fired any that player turn, or the op fire following. During op fire, I never was prompted with any option by these engineers either. Also. I've had a tank's range reduced to one. It did not return fire when it was targeted during op fire, nor was there a prompt to decide whether to return fire or not. Maybe this optional op fire has cut these two options out (assaulting and returning fire even if the range is reduced by the player), but I would like to know if perhaps what I saw was a fluke or not. Thanks.

Post #: 129
- 9/18/2000 7:53:00 PM   
Voriax

Charles, your problems feel like unit experience problems... In case of engineers, did the tank move next to them and thus you expected an assault? Did you check the suppress level of the engineer unit afterwards? It might be that they failed their morale check when trying to assault, thus doing nothing. Such behaviour is fairly common. If these two units were stationary during the whole turn, well..the opfire is triggered if someone shoots or moves..at least I believe it's so. AI often chooses it's targets strangely...ignoring an infantry unit 2 hexes away in plain sight but tries to maul a bunker 20 hexes away.... Also it's common that the unit being fired upon does not see the shooter at once. It may take few shots before the target spots the shooter. Some other unit might spot it though... Hmph, dunno if this was helpful or not Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 130
- 9/18/2000 8:05:00 PM   
Charles22

I've played two different campaigns, two battles into it. On the second battle, ALL units have full ammo, and I do have limited ammo turned on.

Post #: 131
- 9/18/2000 8:25:00 PM   
Antonius

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: I've played two different campaigns, two battles into it. On the second battle, ALL units have full ammo, and I do have limited ammo turned on.
your post made me check my units in my russian campaign and like yours all have full ammo loads except those that have just been upgraded (I've also checked that all realism preferences were ON); no wonder then i didn't run out of ammo in the last battle !

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 132
- 9/18/2000 8:41:00 PM   
Charles22

Voriax: Good ideas, but this engineer was as liable to assault as was possible. He was Gerry engineers for a start, which had never drawn fire, and secondly playing Gerry as long as I have, I don't think I've once seen infantry/engineers NOT assault when conditions were even questionable (although there are times of course where you know they've been hit so much that there's no way they should respond - and I have seen that too). As well, the tank was in the open for at least the last 15 hexes, which had plenty of op fire chances against it, and it was moving to get there and the engineers weren't blinded in the least. This was the first time I'd had an opportunity ot assault since V4.0, and I was wondering whether he would assault on his own or ask me if I wanted him to. I've seen plenty of assaults, so this really threw me. The first thing I did, the player turn was assault with the engineer totally unsuppressed (he'd never even been spotted by the enemy yet) and it worked like a charm. Has anyone ever seen an assault conducted with or without prompts, during the enemy phase, by your infantry/engineers in V4.0? [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited September 18, 2000).]

Post #: 133
- 9/18/2000 8:57:00 PM   
Charles22

Although I suppose it technically isn't a bug, I would like to remind about various formations of decreased or increased experience in the purchase screens, cost exactly the same regardless. Thanks.

Post #: 134
- 9/18/2000 9:31:00 PM   
Major_Johnson

This may have been reported somewhere in this thread, it's so big, and I really don't feel like reading the whole thing, also I kind of hate to report it as it just helped my cause in a scenario, but I was able to right click an immoblized vehicle into facing a different direction, thus utilizing it's firepower. Boy that just hurt! ------------------ MJ We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

Post #: 135
- 9/18/2000 9:35:00 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

Apparently this hasn't been reported in this thread... It's possible to turn an immobilized unit, if you right-click on an enemy unit, when the unit is selected. For example, I could turn the Campbelltown DD in Desperate Measures so that the front was now on the land, which shouldn't be possible, because the DD is immobilized the whole battle. I would also suggest that landing craft wouldn't use the l-key to unload carried units, but would only use it to load units like what happens when you don't have units loaded yet. That way one could load more than one unit inside, which is not possible now, because you must load the units from the beach, i.e. they cannot come to the water. This wouldn't be that annoying, if the troops would arrive 1 per craft but, when they already come 2 per ship, it feels awkward to transport them to safety one at a time, when there's room and the enemy are shooting at you . Well the first bug is more important. All in all a nice scenario that truly tests and stretches the limits of the SP-engine . ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

Post #: 136
- 9/19/2000 4:58:00 PM   
Reg

I'm not sure if this classifies as a bug or whether your interface isn't so intuitive. I was mucking around with the campaign editor and inadvertently deleted a couple of the scenarios. Fine I thought, exit without hitting the save button and I won't have lost anything. Uh Oh, Wrong!!! I now got a couple of incomplete campaigns. Is this intentional??? Can I download them again from the scenario depot or am I going to have to re-install?? By the way guys, I just love the way you do campaigns now. FANTASTIC!!!!! Reg. [This message has been edited by Reg (edited September 19, 2000).]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 137
- 9/19/2000 9:11:00 PM   
MangyDingo

I downloaded the full version of SPWAW v.4, uninstalled 2.3 and installed fresh. Started the new Soviet campaign, picked up a pair of 37mm AA guns and set them up. During the course of the battle, both crews came under fire and abandoned their guns (how would the NKVD view this?). The first AA gun still had the icon showing 2 crewmen, but moving the mouse over it, it said "abandoned." The crew was alive in the hex immediately to the rear. The second AA gun was abandoned later and had the normal abandoned gun icon. Any ideas? I also experienced the ATR machine gun sound, from the German ATR firing at me. In the encyclopedia, the right side armor on AFV's (lowest on the screen) looks like it has two numbers written right on top of each other, making the armor factor illegible. Not a major problem since the left side is identical, but somewhat annoying. I also had one standard Soviet rifle squad that must have been led by a demon. It had a 66 experience rating and 85(!) morale rating. Is this within the realm of probability for a new unit in the soviet army in Dec. 1940? This rifle squad in woods singlehandedly destroyed two PzIIf's, a PzIVd, and a (reduced) German rifle squad, and saved my butt in that sector in the process. All told, I love the updated game and all of these bugs are so minor I could overlook them in their entirety and enjoy the game, but since you want to know what people have experienced, I decided to post this. I like the mechanical breakdowns, that's something that always was missing from other computer wargames I played and it adds a certain unpredictable element I enjoy. Nothing like having like having three of four 152mm Artillery pieces fail during the opening bombardment and then having the command tank of your mobile ready reserve tank force break down on the way to reinforce a troubled position! Is there any way to look at estimated reliability ratings of various vehicles and weapon systems? Thanks for the great game, guys, I look forward to buying your first retail product. If it's anything like SPWAW, I may never have to buy from another game company. Thanks, MangyDingo

Post #: 138
- 9/19/2000 9:56:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

Hi Bugs: Bail out button doesn't work correctly. When you choose n in the pop-up window to cancel bailout, nothing happens. It only accepts y-button. Someone mention that when you press end game -button and then press n to cancel that in the pop-up window your turn ends. I can confirm that. These bugs happened several times. Next bug is an ancient one. When you play campaing games and set your units firing range it doesn't remain same to the next battle. It can be everything from 1 to 60. So before you start shooting you have to go through all your units and set their firing range to something more reasonable. It will be better if all units have their firing range at maximum at the start of the battle. I use full version of 4.0 not an upgrade over 2.3. This is not a bug but ... I play Germany againts Russia in 1941. In one battle Russian sniper destroy my SdKfz 222 -armored car by single rifle shot! It was a top hit and I know that this vehicle doesn't have top armor, but still. One thing what get on my nerves is computer's overzealous firing. It fires at my tanks and other heavily armored vehicles with rifles and machine guns from long ranges. That is totally unnecessary because it doesn't even cause suppression on my tank crews. That unnecessary firing only takes time and when you have a large battle it may take couple of minutes per turn. Sherman Jumbo 76. As I know there was only a few Jumbo 76 in service at western front. But now computer buys a plenty of them in every battle. This isn't very good thing. Still SPWaW is a great game, I really enjoy to play with it ! Steel Thunder

Post #: 139
- 9/19/2000 10:06:00 PM   
cjpaul

You can use the OOB editor to make the Jumbo 76 rarer by changing the radio number. It currently has a number of 92. The "2" determines how common it was. "0" is very widely used and "3" is very rare. Change the Jumbo 76 radio to 93 and it shouldn't be so common.

Post #: 140
- 9/19/2000 10:13:00 PM   
Rover

Don't know if it's a bug but I guess it's really a question at this point. Am playing a generated campaign (Germany vs. Poland) and am noticing the OP fire sequence is much more difficult to get a kill and when I'm firing on my turn versus the same conditions and firing during my turn. Specifically I got the bum's rush of Polish tanks and OP fired on about 12-14 units when they were from 2 to 4 hexes away (snow storm visibility). Anyway, got a number of hits but nothing was destroyed. On my turn one of my tanks fired three shots at three tanks two hexes away and got three kills. My question- is the hit/kill calc the same or different for a shot taken during OP fire versus one taken as part of my normal turn? Great game and am enjoying it thoroughly...

Post #: 141
- 9/19/2000 10:30:00 PM   
BA Evans

quote:

Originally posted by Mac: I would also suggest that landing craft wouldn't use the l-key to unload carried units...
Hey Mac, why don't you left click on the troop you want loaded and THEN use the 'L' key? Loading works from both the loader and the loadee's viewpoint. You don't always have to load from the transport, you can load from the passenger unit. BA Evans

Post #: 142
- 9/20/2000 11:05:00 AM   
Yverlok

Playing a generated campaign, Finland vs. Soviet Union in 1939. First battle was a decisive victory, screen pops up to let me fix/change units, then the campaign summary screen. When I press the 'Press Button' button (to go on to the second battle, I hope), the "Select a Front" screen pops up showing satellite views of Europe and the Pacific. There's also a French flag icon. No amount of clicking or keypresses does anything. Have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get out of it. I've got the savegame file from the point just after the battle but before units become veterans if that would help. Happens every time I load it. Tried making a couple of other generated campaigns and just surrendering to see if it would happen again, but it didn't. In them, I was able to go on to the 'Modify Campaign' screen and get into the second battle with no problems.

Post #: 143
- 9/20/2000 5:31:00 PM   
Fredde

Op fire selection seems wrong at times. For example, i have an inf squad and a inf at team hiding in the same forest hex, both unsupressed and dug-in. An enemy tank shows up in an adjacent hex. The inf squad assaults the tank like it should and fails. The tank don't fire back. The second op fire confirmation request came from a mg team couple of hexes away which of course doesn't have any chance to damage the tank. After answering no to this request, the op fire sequence is over without the at team ever getting the chance to attack. Something is wrong here i think. The AT team didn't even get the chance to close-assault the tank even though it was one hex away and unsupressed. Perhaps more op fire than from two units should be allowed. Perhaps the routine determining which two units that get the chance to fire back should be changed.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 144
- 9/20/2000 6:53:00 PM   
headhunter

1. I would like to second Fredde's observations concerning OP fire. Instead of the closest two units with appropriate weapons often two units 20+ hexes away with inferior weapons get the opportunity to fire. Btw, was OP fire limited to only two units before v4, too ? 2. Yesterday I fought a battle against the Brits. They had a number of 40mm flaks, speed=0. But when they were retreating they took their guns with them ! (Now, that's what I call real dedication ! ) [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 20, 2000).]

Post #: 145
- 9/20/2000 7:37:00 PM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by headhunter: 1. I would like to second Fredde's observations concerning OP fire. Instead of the closest two units with appropriate weapons often two units 20+ hexes away with inferior weapons get the opportunity to fire. Btw, was OP fire limited to only two units before v4, too ?
Remember that the opfire has nothing to do with which unit has the appropriate weapon or is the closest unit. It's about which unit happens to be awake and spots the enemy/acts first. ie. experience plays an important part here. I too have pondered why only 2 units get the chance for opfire, perhaps the Matrix gurus will comment on that.
quote:

2. Yesterday I fought a battle against the Brits. They had a number of 40mm flaks, speed=0. But when they were retreating they took their guns with them !
Well looking at the OOB file the 40 mm AA gun has a movement allowance of 1. This 'man-portable' gun thingy afaik was main reason why small guns were immobile in earlier versions of SPWAW, but as they often were so light the crew was able to move them this 1 move point was given to them. Voriax

Post #: 146
- 9/20/2000 8:21:00 PM   
headhunter

quote:

Remember that the opfire has nothing to do with which unit has the appropriate weapon or is the closest unit. It's about which unit happens to be awake and spots the enemy/acts first. ie. experience plays an important part here.
In one situation I had three tanks directly in front of an enemy tank and a AT gun ~10 hexes away. op-fire came from a tank ~26 hexes away. On several occasions, a crew got the op-fire, while two full strength, not surpressed german engineer squads and a mg were one and two hexes away from the enemy unit. Also left flank units were op-firing on enemy units on the right flank, leaving the left flank with no shots left to defend themselves. I agree that initiative and experience should be major factors in the selection of the op-firing units, but at the moment, this feels too random for my taste. If there were no limit as to how many units are allowed to op-fire there would be no problem. In real life there would be no such limit. I think it is in the game to conserve time and in my oppinion, this is a good thing. The computer should first "compile" a list of all units that could op-fire and then choose the two best of them based on weapons and distance.
quote:

Well looking at the OOB file the 40 mm AA gun has a movement allowance of 1. This 'man-portable' gun thingy afaik was main reason why small guns were immobile in earlier versions of SPWAW, but as they often were so light the crew was able to move them this 1 move point was given to them.
Ah. I right-clicked on the AA gun and there I did read that speed was 0. Is speed different from movement allowance ? [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 20, 2000).] [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 20, 2000).]

Post #: 147
- 9/20/2000 8:53:00 PM   
Charles22

In any case, it would appear that what I feared is true, that being adjacent to a unit no longer gives those who are unsuppressed enough, to automatically assault. I would prefer the basic two op fire possibilities, with any assaults added in, to prompt me as op fire does, instead of automatic assault. I've seen noone comment on this yet, but it's still my belief, that the system has changed from what it was previous, in regards to when a unit has minimal range, that it's not firing back when a unit beyond that range fires on it (before, it could be reduced to a '0' range, but would counter any fire placed on that unit). On first thought I would think that this action being incorporated into op fire would be better too, but now I'm not so sure, automatic may be better. As things stand, if it became part of op fire, I wouldn't know necessarily if that unit was different from any of the others who been extended their full range, so that it would flow into the ebb of the rest of the units of it's type. I think the only way that could work well, would be that it stayed as it was in V2.3 or some dot or something came on the prompt somewhere to tell you this was a unit responding possibly to a unit that had fired on it, but that it's range was insufficient. That brings me back to my original question regarding this. In V2.3, when the unit responded to fire directly on it, did this then switch it's range to the enemy unit so that it could fire back? Because, if it did, then obviously the unit has thereby had it's range switched, to where it will then op fire like any of the other units, instead of it's fire range being returnd to what it was before it was fired on.

Post #: 148
- 9/20/2000 9:38:00 PM   
Voriax

Headhunter: I admit the opfire may need some fine tuning. Your suggestion of checking all available opfires and choosing two best (closest?) sounds good. As for the AA gun, too fancy wording..the speed is 1. I dunno why right-clicking showed speed 0, possibly it was suppressed to hell and thus was not able to move, just flee? Bug report: *EEEK* The autosave function counts turns wrong. Lets say I have a 'solitare turn 15" and decide to load it. All is fine except the turn counter will be 14. If I do a normal 'manual' save and reload it then the turn counter behaves normally. Voriax

Post #: 149
- 9/20/2000 9:50:00 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

quote:

Originally posted by BA Evans: Hey Mac, why don't you left click on the troop you want loaded and THEN use the 'L' key? Loading works from both the loader and the loadee's viewpoint. You don't always have to load from the transport, you can load from the passenger unit. BA Evans
Normally, I use this BUT this isn't possible with the landing crafts as it seems to think that it's impossible to load from the beach into the ship which is not in the same hex but the neighbouring hex. This is of course the normal case, nowadays, where you can't load into a transport in a neighbouring hex. I can load the troops, when I use the loading from the ship's perspective. Get it? I HAVE to load from the transport now and then I can only load 1 unit. This could be fixed in many ways and I hope it gets fixed. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI