Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tactics - 9/5/2007 6:44:36 PM   
ab5000

A question for everyone out there. I'm still pretty new so learning the game and tactics as we go. In the scenario's Ive been playing I seem to lose half of my units waiting for the infantry and artillery to load and unload from the wagons, trucks and horses. Artillery, I can get a handle on when to unload but I'm really struggling with infantry. Any advice on when to use transport and when to deploy?
Post #: 1
RE: Tactics - 9/5/2007 9:21:18 PM   
andym

Dont let your vehicles get too close to the enemy.try and use your armour to advnce into contact or use recon vehicles so you can see where the enemy are then transport the inf within 4 or 5 hexes,then unload.Best to experiment with fog of war turned off.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to ab5000)
Post #: 2
RE: Tactics - 9/5/2007 9:52:24 PM   
cpdeyoung

It is sickening to see one of your very thick skinned rifle platoons obliterated by a single long range artillery salvo when you inadvertently move soft vehicles through a spotted hex.  Depending on the nature of the scenario you may have to risk it but there are some tricks to making the use of soft skinned vehicles within range of enemy units less painful.  Running recon units down the intended path with "Display visible hexes" turned on can show you which hexes are most exposed.  They may also draw fire, which can be a good thing.  Running less valuable units down the path can also draw fire, but one hates to order the mission, no one likes that job.  Remember to plot the path step by step as the path the algorithm builds always seems to pick the most dangerous hexes. Use smoke shells if they can block sight, and even unit congestion can shield a hex fan.  Make the desparate move late in turn, hoping the enemy has exhausted opportunity fire.

Remember that you can often unload an infantry unit so that it still has a hex of movement left.  This can be the right hex to unload in.  Always question if you really have to take the chance of running soft vehicles into zones of possible fire.  In combat operations this would always be seen as a horrible mistake.  The time pressure of a turn limit can make you take chances you would not take with real troops.  Can you still gain your objectives with a more patient approach?  Every loss of an entrucked unit is a misery.

Be careful of your troops, unload and advance at double time rather than take that big chance.

Chuck

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 3
RE: Tactics - 9/6/2007 8:22:19 AM   
serg3d

You also can use artillery smoke to block the enemy line of site.
More details about armor tactic in the last approach:
Move your armor and soak all te enemy fire onto them. You can check if enemy have action point left with "thermometers". After that reserve unload cost for trucks, move them and unload the same turn.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 4
RE: Tactics - 9/6/2007 4:17:10 PM   
Noypi53

You can also try the "Visible Hex" function on the hex where you want to unload.  Click on the hex (don't move your unit yet!) & see if any enemy units are visible from that hex.  If you can see them, most likely they can see you!  If some enemy units are present around the hex you intend to move to, click on their hex & use the V function again.  See if the hex is visible from that enemy unit's hex.
The key here is to be patient with your moves.  Juggalo makes that point in his excellent AAR on the Sealion LCG.  cpdeyoung also mentions it above that you got to plot your movement step by step.
I'm a noob too & making the same mistakes as you.  Even worse, I think!
Have fun!

(in reply to serg3d)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI