Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oil Bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Oil Bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oil Bug - 9/4/2007 2:26:25 AM   
YohanTM2

Why has this not been fixed with a hotfix? I can't believe this is not impacting every single game which makes it past 1943. Either that or no game is making it past '43?
Post #: 1
RE: Oil Bug - 9/4/2007 4:25:03 AM   
SMK-at-work

I'd like to see oil done a bit differently.....rather than stopping things moving if you get to 0 oil, I think that units should slow down proportionally with the amount of oil in stock vs the amount expected to be used.  Eg if you only have 1/2 the amount of oil that you would presumably use (assuming every unit moves), then every oil-using unit only gets 1/2 its movement/range/whatever. 

If yuo did all this movement then it would decrease your oil to 0.

If you use less than this your oil stockpile will be a bit bigger next turn and you'll get a little more possible movment.

as an advanced rule to modify this you might get to allocate some priority.....eg trade off some units as low priority (eg you might not want to use any of yuor u-boats this turn, or perhaps the fighters in the West aren't doing much ....) and so deprive them of oil - allow point defence only for fighters, defend their own hex for ground units, naval stuck in port, etc.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 2
RE: Oil Bug - 9/4/2007 4:38:38 AM   
YohanTM2

Not bad options but still do not help when oil goes -250 or worse when you lose Bucharest/Ploesti (not sure exactly what triggers the huge negative)

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 3
RE: Oil Bug - 9/4/2007 4:40:26 AM   
Forwarn45

I'm also surprised this has not been corrected with a hotfix or a new patch. Its one of the reasons I set aside the game to wait for a patch. I like playing games out, and this would make it tough.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 4
RE: Oil Bug - 9/4/2007 11:23:58 AM   
Dave Ferguson

I would guess that few games get to the situation where Bucharest falls and triggers the bug. Most likely the axis have crushed the russians so it is game over. Or the russians have crushed the germans so it is game over Or the western allies have crushed the non-existant axis defence in France so it is game over.

I noticed the bug when playing allies and managing to launch a massive russian counteroffensive which swept the axis back to Rumania. This was in 43 with the inevitable second or third massive allied invasion in progress.

Thebug does need fixing as I reckon the axis should play on until at least Berlin falls before conceeding.

Dave

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 5
RE: Oil Bug - 9/7/2007 2:39:02 AM   
Snowbart1943

I do like that you have to keep an eye on your oil reserves, and that it is a precious resource to you......

but, I think Hard Sarge and I are on the same page......If you as Germany own all of the oil fields on the map, and they are not being bombed or threatened at all, there should be no oil crisis, if you have a reasonable amount of units using that oil.

(in reply to Dave Ferguson)
Post #: 6
RE: Oil Bug - 9/7/2007 4:33:02 AM   
Major Victory

The point Yohan is making is that that it does,nt matter what your current oil is, once Polesti is taken, you go "NEGATIVE" oil.

Does anyone try to play till 1945 in PBEM?

(in reply to Snowbart1943)
Post #: 7
RE: Oil Bug - 9/10/2007 7:00:44 AM   
VonManteuffel

It's a game breaker for sure. What if I wanted to give up Romania during a retreat? Game over. That's not fun.

(in reply to Major Victory)
Post #: 8
RE: Oil Bug - 9/10/2007 12:28:47 PM   
IainMcNeil

It is being fixed but the point is that rolling out a new fix now would break all saved games and then be followed by the patch very soon afterwards. It would be very untidy and confusing. The patch is coming along nicely but it still needs a bit more work. We'll have some news on it soon.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to VonManteuffel)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Oil Bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI