Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Route Finding Algorithm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Route Finding Algorithm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Route Finding Algorithm - 9/11/2007 11:49:30 PM   
herwin

I'm having difficulty understanding how the LCU route finding algorithm works. Usually it will prefer a straight route with a good road, but from time to time it insists on cutting its way through the jungle or detouring via a neighboring hex containing an enemy unit when it has a better and more direct route. What's going on?

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Post #: 1
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/12/2007 12:04:11 AM   
VSWG

Hard to say what's going on without a screenshot.

Have a look at this thread, though:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1350076

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/12/2007 6:46:18 AM   
Feinder

It generally tries to go shortest available route, that doesn't intersect an enemy unit.  Naturally, we all accept it when -this- happens, and nobody cares.

I do see occasionally, when I thik it should go one way, but it keeps chosing another, I -think- it's following a path that maximizes it's supply draw as the LCU marches towards objective.

And then sometimes, it's completel bonkererd, and you just go, "what f_ck is that?".

But the supply thing (trying to maintain a good level), might be affecting the march route somewhat.  Do you have some bases near the route, that are acting like a gravity well?  Could be their supply is "drawing" the unit.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 3
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/12/2007 9:47:46 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

It generally tries to go shortest available route, that doesn't intersect an enemy unit.  Naturally, we all accept it when -this- happens, and nobody cares.

I do see occasionally, when I thik it should go one way, but it keeps chosing another, I -think- it's following a path that maximizes it's supply draw as the LCU marches towards objective.

And then sometimes, it's completel bonkererd, and you just go, "what f_ck is that?".

But the supply thing (trying to maintain a good level), might be affecting the march route somewhat.  Do you have some bases near the route, that are acting like a gravity well?  Could be their supply is "drawing" the unit.

-F-

The routes it follows and the ones it refuses to follow aren't even that logical...

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/12/2007 2:04:34 PM   
herwin

More evidence:

I have a brigade in the San Fernando hex that I'm trying to move into the Lingayan hex. I'm getting the message that I'm not allowed to move from one ZOC to another, but there is no ZOC in the San Fernando hex! There are a bunch of other units stacked in the San Fernando hex that are moving into the Lingayan hex.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/12/2007 3:29:15 PM   
mc3744

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

More evidence:

I have a brigade in the San Fernando hex that I'm trying to move into the Lingayan hex. I'm getting the message that I'm not allowed to move from one ZOC to another, but there is no ZOC in the San Fernando hex! There are a bunch of other units stacked in the San Fernando hex that are moving into the Lingayan hex.

Ah! This happens now and then.

Just keep trying clicking in different point of the hex (best trying the sides).
You'll find a spot where it goes find. Guaranteed.

Good luck.

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/12/2007 3:45:46 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

quote:

More evidence:

Ah! This happens now and then.

Just keep trying clicking in different point of the hex (best trying the sides).
You'll find a spot where it goes find. Guaranteed.

Good luck.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Harry Erwin

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 7
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/12/2007 4:56:19 PM   
mc3744

First of all. I'm told never to say the word ... that-should-not-be-mentioned

If it's a feature, it's not a very useful one ... I'd say

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/13/2007 12:21:06 AM   
VSWG

quote:

Yes.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Route Finding Algorithm - 9/13/2007 12:40:36 AM   
rubisco

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

Yes.

Nice!

< Message edited by rubisco -- 9/13/2007 12:42:14 AM >

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Route Finding Algorithm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI