Route Finding Algorithm (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

herwin -> Route Finding Algorithm (9/11/2007 11:49:30 PM)

I'm having difficulty understanding how the LCU route finding algorithm works. Usually it will prefer a straight route with a good road, but from time to time it insists on cutting its way through the jungle or detouring via a neighboring hex containing an enemy unit when it has a better and more direct route. What's going on?

VSWG -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/12/2007 12:04:11 AM)

Hard to say what's going on without a screenshot.

Have a look at this thread, though:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1350076

Feinder -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/12/2007 6:46:18 AM)

It generally tries to go shortest available route, that doesn't intersect an enemy unit.  Naturally, we all accept it when -this- happens, and nobody cares.

I do see occasionally, when I thik it should go one way, but it keeps chosing another, I -think- it's following a path that maximizes it's supply draw as the LCU marches towards objective.

And then sometimes, it's completel bonkererd, and you just go, "what f_ck is that?".

But the supply thing (trying to maintain a good level), might be affecting the march route somewhat.  Do you have some bases near the route, that are acting like a gravity well?  Could be their supply is "drawing" the unit.

-F-

herwin -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/12/2007 9:47:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

It generally tries to go shortest available route, that doesn't intersect an enemy unit.  Naturally, we all accept it when -this- happens, and nobody cares.

I do see occasionally, when I thik it should go one way, but it keeps chosing another, I -think- it's following a path that maximizes it's supply draw as the LCU marches towards objective.

And then sometimes, it's completel bonkererd, and you just go, "what f_ck is that?".

But the supply thing (trying to maintain a good level), might be affecting the march route somewhat.  Do you have some bases near the route, that are acting like a gravity well?  Could be their supply is "drawing" the unit.

-F-

The routes it follows and the ones it refuses to follow aren't even that logical...

herwin -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/12/2007 2:04:34 PM)

More evidence:

I have a brigade in the San Fernando hex that I'm trying to move into the Lingayan hex. I'm getting the message that I'm not allowed to move from one ZOC to another, but there is no ZOC in the San Fernando hex! There are a bunch of other units stacked in the San Fernando hex that are moving into the Lingayan hex.

mc3744 -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/12/2007 3:29:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

More evidence:

I have a brigade in the San Fernando hex that I'm trying to move into the Lingayan hex. I'm getting the message that I'm not allowed to move from one ZOC to another, but there is no ZOC in the San Fernando hex! There are a bunch of other units stacked in the San Fernando hex that are moving into the Lingayan hex.

Ah! This happens now and then.

Just keep trying clicking in different point of the hex (best trying the sides).
You'll find a spot where it goes find. Guaranteed.

Good luck. [:)]

herwin -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/12/2007 3:45:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

quote:

More evidence:

Ah! This happens now and then.

Just keep trying clicking in different point of the hex (best trying the sides).
You'll find a spot where it goes find. Guaranteed.

Good luck. [:)]

Is this a bug or a feature?

mc3744 -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/12/2007 4:56:19 PM)

First of all. I'm told never to say the word ... that-should-not-be-mentioned [:'(]

If it's a feature, it's not a very useful one ... I'd say [;)]

VSWG -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/13/2007 12:21:06 AM)

quote:

Yes.

rubisco -> RE: Route Finding Algorithm (9/13/2007 12:40:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

Yes.

[:D] Nice!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI