Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Übercorsair and übercap

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Übercorsair and übercap Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:11:24 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

quote:

Thanks for the input Doggie, but I am not arguing history here

That's pretty obvious. It seems you have a lot of time on your hands and are looking to be a hero to a bunch of high school kids whose historical perspective is limited to Can Superman beat up Mighty Mouse

Unfortunately, no. I average about 1-2 hours of personal time a night before it's time to get up and make the donuts again. In that time I try to relax and generally avoid the occasional petty dispute on these forums. If you were a regular member of this community you'd know that.

As far as the hero thing, I don't profess to be one. I consider humility and self-deprecating humor two main characteristics of mine, professional qualifications aside.

As to the relative age of the locals here, I put the average between 40-45.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 121
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:37:12 AM   
TheElf

quote:

I admit to a disadvantage here as I'm not a high school kid who knows it all. I was an actual military aviator, although I don't claim to be a top gun or even an officer and a gentleman, and I've met a few people who actually flew world war II era fighters.

Do tell...I'll extend the same courtesy to you that I have to Mdeihl. I don't know you from Adam, but you tend to harbor some of the same angst that I do. I bet we'd see eye to eye on a lot of things if we weren't talking about history(yes I AM talking history now). I've been forthcoming on my credibility vis a vis my professional qualifications. You've alluded to the same possibilty. I am standing by to establish a mutual respect...

As to WWII aviators, Roger Mehle was a friend of the family, as was Dick Roland. Heavy church goers as it turns out...you'd be suprised how many WWII, Korean War, Vietnam, and Cold War aviators you can meet in a small Episcopal Church in Virginia Beach, VA.

quote:

Most pilots will agree that a fast roll rate and superior speed trumps a small turning radius, especially when the pilot is trained to use his aircraft's strengths to his advantage. Today it's called "Dissimilar air combat manovering"; in 1942 it was condensed into "don't get low and slow with an A6M" and it seemed to work to the allies advantage, as mobs of veteran expertly trained samurai died screaming in their superior A6Ms at the hands of dumb ass American aviators and their obsolete aircraft.

Actually I'd bet that most pilots would say that there are no "trumps" in Air Combat. It just depends. That's my opinion. They'd also say "know your airplane", which in this case is the F4F. I challenge you to find any documntation that says the F4F enjoyed a speed advantage over the A6M2 other than in a dive. Better get the facts straight if you want to go down this road. I have some E-M Diagrams that might help...

One personal note, and I hold this as very important when reading Mdeihl's or now your posts. As a Naval aviator and fighter pilot, what I find a bit offensive is the ease with which you speak about a conflict where truly talented, humble, yet heroic men fought a Highly skilled adversary flying arguably the best fighter of the early war in a mediocre, underpowered however armed and armored, dog of an airplane. Specifically the F4F-4. In some way I feel you diminish their accomplishments by casually stating something absurd like "mobs of veteran expertly trained samurai died screaming in their superior A6Ms at the hands of dumb ass American aviators and their obsolete aircraft". That is a personal opinion formed from professional experience and operating in a world today that is slowly but surely beginning to look like Vietnam.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 9/12/2007 2:05:36 PM >

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 122
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 1:09:50 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

quote:

quote:

That's pretty obvious. It seems you have a lot of time on your hands and are looking to be a hero to a bunch of high school kids whose historical perspective is limited to Can Superman beat up Mighty Mouse

Unfortunately, no. I average about 1-2 hours of personal time a night before it's time to get up and make the donuts again. In that time I try to relax and generally avoid the occasional petty dispute on these forums. If you were a regular member of this community you'd know that.

As far as the hero thing, I don't profess to be one. I consider humility and self-deprecating humor two main characteristics of mine, professional qualifications aside.

In fact, I can think of exactly one high school student that I've met during my time here.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 123
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 1:27:18 PM   
ChezDaJez

I don't think CHS 159 will be as much of an issue with uberCAP as is the stock game either.

You're right though. none of our CAP attempts have been exactly uber.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 124
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 2:02:13 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

-Thank you for data. I always wanted to know what were the results of fighter vs fighter combat over the Marianas (I estimated them on 4:1 assuming 2/3 of losses being bombers and 240 planes shot down). But have a little question. What were op. losses for US fighters in this specific action (not counting those lost in the night attacks against IJN fleet). And what were the combat losses in the defense of IJN carriers

I'm not sure if your question is genuine or sarcastic in nature but the short answer is I don't know without looking everything back up again. I only evaluated the 4 raids launched by the Japanese carriers on the first day as that is when the majority of their losses occurred.

If you want me to guess... I would say the US ops losses from the last attack on the IJN carriers were probably quite substantial.

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 125
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 4:02:22 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

quote:

I'm not a high school kid

Neither am I! (although I think you have me by a couple of months!)

Unfortunately, I fear the average age of this forum would come out well above the average age of the population. And we have more than our share of ex-military and military retirees. For example the three forum moderators, Wilkerson, Bowen and "Mogami" (Neer) are all ex-military (Army, Navy, Army respectively) and Russ has recently gone back on active duty as his unit preps to ship out to Iraq.

Our primary purpose here is to have fun. To play WITP and to discuss our experiences playing WITP.

Our seconday purpose is to discuss "the game as history".

And this thread has spanned both of those purposes, starting off with a game related issue (which I tried to address) and then moving on to a discussion of the merits of various factors of air combat.

So while we are not a military history site, we do lean in that direction oft times as we explore questions about what really happened out there in the Pacific Theater from Dec 41 through Aug 45. Our "normal culture" is a bit more "tea party like" than we seen in this thread. But I'm also a member on the SH and the culture there is a bit different, more like "toss your arguments on the table" (and dispense with the lace!) so we've allowed this discussion to "blossom" as an excercise in "cultural diversity" . And I don't think anyone is any worse for it - certainly hope not anyway!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 126
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 4:35:35 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
quote:

The fact is the A6M was never a wonder weapon, and low wing loading was the only real advantage it had.

Not quite correct, Doggie. It also had incredible range and endurance compared to all contemporary designs..., and part of it's reputation resulted from it's appearance where no-one expected it.

I understand there are only 2 air-worthy Zeros in existence today; the "Zero" in most air shows is a modified US trainer, which suggests that the original blueprints for the A6M were based on a US design.

Anyone know anything about this?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 127
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 4:38:49 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I understand there are only 2 air-worthy Zeros in existence today; the "Zero" in most air shows is a modified US trainer, which suggests that the original blueprints for the A6M were based on a US design.

You're kidding, right?

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 128
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 4:55:57 PM   
Joe D.

No; because it's almost impossible to get your hands on a working Zero, most air shows modify a US built trainer to look like an A6M. In fact, I sure the "Zekes" for the old Blacksheep TV show were not authentic.

As for the original Zero design, there was a ridiculous rumor that the Japanese had captured American aviatrix Amelia Earheart and "ransomed" her for it. But there may be some truth that the Zero design was "borrowed," and I was curious if anyone else had heard or read anything about that.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 129
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 5:05:28 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

As for the original Zero design, there was a ridiculous rumor that the Japanese had captured American aviatrix Amelia Earheart and "ransomed" her for it. But there may be some truth that the Zero design was "borrowed," and I was curious if anyone else had heard or read anything about that.

Zero is original... everything else is just hoax (this is old WWII rumor similar to rumor that Germans flew Japanese aircraft or that German aircraft were on board Japanese carriers or that Japanese are all short men with terrible shortsighted view - please note that _MANY_ official US early WWII reports stated this as well )...

The Zero designer was Jiro Horikoshi and Zero is unique (from alloy used to the way weight was saved and,thus, range was exceptional)!

What was "borrowed" was the propeller (but this can be said for almost every propeller of almost every air force in the world at that time)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 130
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 5:21:15 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Zero is original... everything else is just hoax (this is old WWII rumor similar to rumor that Germans flew Japanese aircraft or that German aircraft were on board Japanese carriers or that Japanese are all short men with terrible shortsighted view - please note that _MANY_ official US early WWII reports stated this as well )...

The Zero designer was Jiro Horikoshi and Zero is unique (from alloy used to the way weight was saved and,thus, range was exceptional)!

What was "borrowed" was the propeller (but this can be said for almost every propeller of almost every air force in the world at that time)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Absolutely correct. The Zero is far too much the "Ultimate Japanese Design" in its performance and weaknesses to be copied from anyone else. Only the Japanese catered to the demands of their pilots to such extremes.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 131
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 7:55:22 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

-Thank you for data. I always wanted to know what were the results of fighter vs fighter combat over the Marianas (I estimated them on 4:1 assuming 2/3 of losses being bombers and 240 planes shot down). But have a little question. What were op. losses for US fighters in this specific action (not counting those lost in the night attacks against IJN fleet). And what were the combat losses in the defense of IJN carriers

I'm not sure if your question is genuine or sarcastic in nature but the short answer is I don't know without looking everything back up again. I only evaluated the 4 raids launched by the Japanese carriers on the first day as that is when the majority of their losses occurred.

If you want me to guess... I would say the US ops losses from the last attack on the IJN carriers were probably quite substantial.

Chez

Bombur is for real. He's been a long time playtester and PBEM partner of mine for Nikmod.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 132
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 8:06:00 PM   
Joe D.

But check this out re the A5M Claude (the forerunner of the A6M?)

In 1932, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) issued a requirement for a new naval carrier fighter, and in response a Mitsubishi design team under Jiro Horikoshi developed the "1MF10" fighter, which had a strong resemblance to the American Boeing P-26 "Peashooter" fighter, being a low-wing monoplane, with a metal fuselage and fabric-covered wings; an open cockpit; an air-cooled radial engine, driving a two-bladed fixed wooden propeller; fixed landing gear; twin 7.7 millimeter (0.303 caliber) machine guns in the upper lip of the engine cowling; and a telescopic tube gunsight.

Apparently Horikoshi had "borrowed" at least one airplane design before; maybe that's where the rumors re the origin of the A6M design came from/got confused with.

Re the A6M:

The Zero was a low-wing design, constructed of a lightweight aluminum alloy named "Extra-Super Duraluminum (ESD)", with the exception of fabric-covered rudder and elevators ...

But not everything on the Zero was original.

... Although a two-blade propeller was initially fitted to the first A6M1 prototype, it led to vibration problems and was replaced by a three-blade variable-pitch Hamilton Standard propeller, built under license by Sumitomo.

... The two Type 97 7.7-millimeter machine guns, a license-built British Vickers design, were fitted in the cowling and fired through the propeller using synchronizing gear.

In any case, my WW II aircraft encylopedia claims only 2 airworthy Zeros left, but I've seen planes that "passed" for Zeros -- at least on the outside -- at air shows and in the movies. I recall these faux Zeros were pre-WW II US trainers, but I can't confirm it anywhere.

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 9/12/2007 8:27:32 PM >

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 133
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 8:14:26 PM   
Nikademus

The usual "Zero simulator" IIRC has usually been a modified T-6 Texan.

In double checking, i came upon this interesting website.

http://www.toratoratora.com/

A massive volunteer effort that recreates the PH attack in flyable replicas.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 134
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 8:25:15 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

IIRC the biggest problem for today's surviving Zero's is brittleness of it's construction - in other words revolutionary light aluminum alloy that Japanese used for it in WWII (that was very light and rather strong) did not take passage of time very well.

Also, as a sidenote, IIRC I read that Zero's aluminum skin was so light that it "popped" in the sun when Zero would be, for example, taken out from hangar to open space...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 135
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 8:39:38 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
The usual "Zero simulator" IIRC has usually been a modified T-6 Texan ...

Sounds about right. Thanks.

The North American T-6 Texan two-place advanced trainer was the classroom for most of the Allied pilots who flew in World War II. Called the SNJ by the Navy and the Harvard by the British Royal Air Force, the AT-6 (advanced trainer) was designed as a transition trainer between basic trainers and first-line tactical aircraft. It was redesignated T-6 in 1948.

First flight was September 1938.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 136
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 9:55:36 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

My recollection from reading many books about GCanal is that many Wildcats came in for dead stick landings. If these had the range to be flying from Rabaul they never would have made it home. This should be taken into account for any Zero/Wcat comparison. This would be a 'real history' observation.

Agreed. As I record these, dead sticked a.c. that land at their own base are recorded as "shot down."

quote:

From a game observation the aircraft stats seem to play too much of a role in the outcome of a2a battles - there should be more bias given to pilot skill - pilots have always been able to use lessor planes to win a2a battles in real life.

I disagree. Here's why. The "skill" assessment made by game designers is arbitrary. Try to find an "index of skill rating" applied consistently across the board, or rationalized by any real world data (hours of flight time, hours of advanced combat training time, hours of actual combat time, never mind intangibles such as "tendency to be alert") and you won't find such an index. The whole history of the thread (at least in re me vs the usual Axis Fanboys) is the AF's claim that in 1942 the Zeros were better planes than the Allied planes, that the Zeroes were flown by better pilots, and that the Zeroes usually swept the skies of all opfor until suddenly the Thach Weave showed up.

Factually, the actual kill ratio was about 1:1, when the "Beam Defense" was not used. You can look in the Appendix of Richard Frank's Guadalcanal for combat losses to get a crude kill ratio. (2:1 overall favoring the Allies for losses of all a.c. of all types, about 1:1 for F4Fs and A6Ms, a little higher overall favoring the Japanese if you throw in P-39s, but again about 1:1 if you throw in Petes and such). In Lundstrom's work, you get much more detail and in some cases you can id who shot down what kind of a.c. when. For Coral Sea and Midway, the loss ratio overall is somewhat in favor of the USN.

Which leads one to ask, "If the Zero was so much better, and their pilots so much better, and if having a better a.c. and more experience means you are more likely to dominate, how come the Japanese didn't actually dominate?" The answer, and the only correct answer, is that the presumed superiority of Japanese naval pilots or their aircraft (potentially both) is an exaggeration.

I have all along argued that a good consim should have a very strong central tendency towards a 1:1 loss ratio (statistically, as measured over campaigns, when A6Ms confront F4Fs) in 1942. Big B and others have convinced me that in some circumstances that sort of campaign loss ratio can be achieved. But my impression is that it is achieved by saturation of Japanese units by Allied LBA, especially tactical medium bombers, and heavies, and that in 1942, a clever USN player refuses combat with a roughly equal number of Japanese CVs. I think this is what Jap Fanboys mean when they say "Well the KBDS only works if the Allied player impales himself on the Japanese sword." The underlying problem with that mentality was that in the instances where KB went up against the USN, in terms of ships lost there was a draw at Coral Sea and a big instance of the Japanese "impaling themselves on the American lance" at Midway. In the AARs, I don't see that happening much.

quote:

Yes - I know it had no armor/ss fuel tanks etc but it did take quite a toll on its opponents.

The Finnish F2s were arguably more useful because of their lack of armor and self-sealing tanks. The F2A minus that weight was a competent if underarmed little fighter. Against the a.c. fielded by the USSR, which were also underarmed and largely inferior to the F2, the Buffalo was not so horrid. The F2A3s at Midway, however, were iron dogs. Despite that, they did substantial damage to the Japanese strike force.

One of the complicating factors in researching all this is to determine the effect of mission complexity. Acknowledging the A6M to be vastly better than the F2A, what does it say about the F2As that despite their inferiority vs Zeros, the Zeros could not stop them from shooting down Japanese strike a.c.? If the F2As had flown defensively, would more Zeros have been shot down, fewer F2As shot down, and fewer Japanese strike a.c. shot down?

quote:

In terms of real life - if F4F was so equivalent/better than Zero then why did the real life war take so long?

Several potential reasons. Foremost, the US was fighting a four front war. Let's call the PTO one front, the North Atlantic a second front, the strategic bomber campaign a third front, and the Africa/Italy/France ground campaigns the fourth front. The Allied Strategic plan for the war called for the US and UK to defeat Germany first, because some pretty good economic modeling indicated that the Japanese weren't going to be an economic power in any great hurry. Of course, Britain being under siege had something to do with that priority too. To make life better for Britons, the bulk of United States shipbuilding outlay had to be dedicated to victory in the Battle of the Atlantic. Even the US could not indefinitely suffer the loss of 200-450 thousand tons of merchant shipping every month.

So the effect of the BoA was that most US ship production went to the ETO, rather than the PTO. As a consequence, Operation Watchtower (Guadalcanal invasion and campaign) went in with the minumum set of transports available. It was all the US could to to put a single USMC division there. The logistical shipping for this operation was only grudgingly conceded to the PTO, and then only because people began to be concerned that with the Japanese at Tulagi, they might then consider trying to seize New Caledonia; Betties stationed at New Caledonia would make life inconvenient for the supply pipeline to Australia. Absent the Japanese move on Tulagi, I doubt the US would have even attempted major operations in the SOPac until mid-1943.

As it stood, the Allied war plan for Europe had the US dedicating most of its sealift capacity to the ETO/North Africa campaign until late 1943, even though the problem with German submarines was substantially solved in May 1943. That's because there was a need to relieve German pressure on the Soviets by engaging Axis ground units, somewhere, anywhere, in the ETO/North Africa.

But if you posit no war with Germany, or a limited war conducted by the Allies against Germany and Italy with a "Japan First" strategy, it is within the realm of reason that the Japanese would have surrendered in late 1943. Albeit, probably after higher casualty rates in the USN. The USN made MAJOR improvements in Combat Air Patrol command and control as a result of analyses of the SoPac campaign -- one of the reasons why in real life "ubercap" became a viable strategy for the USN, where it was at no point during WW2 a viable strategy for the IJN. The other major improvements were in Radar. In 1942 a big Japanese BB with 16" or better guns was arguably an even match for a SoDak class BB. By late 1944, the SoDaks had a huge advantage in main battery gunlaying. Likewise, by 1944, radar had transformed the 5"L38 DP gun from an ordinary (but well designed) anti-aircraft platform into a kamikaze killer. In contrast, Japanese AAA design and performance was, throughout the war, anemic.

In sum: no war in Europe or limited war in Europe, the Allies achieve victory in Japan by late 1943, but at higher cost in casualties. Otherwise, you take the historical path, in which the Allies (in my view, inevitably) would outclass, out-train, out design, out tactic, out-strategy, out bomb, and outproduce the Japanese in 1944, and finish the job in 1945.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 9/12/2007 9:57:00 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 137
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 10:19:19 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL:

If your going to try to discredit Shores, I certainly well can tell you what you need to do.

The biggest problem I have with Shores is that by his own admission in the preface, his sources for Japan are - by necessity - incomplete.

Therefore, it stands to reason that the work has to be taken with a grain of salt, and is by definition "incomplete", though the detail of what is in the book is often impressive.

If you read Lundstrom, you will note that when he quotes from the same Japanese sources, he qualifies those figures with words like "evidently" and "apparently".

Seeing how Japanese records were reputedly destroyed at the end of the war, which Shores acknowledges, the rest is of questionable value - at least insofar as accepting that they represent accurately all Japanese losses.... a fact which I brought up to Brian Culley on the Flying Tigers Public Forum some time ago - and to which he never responded, nor defended, other than to say he would bring it up with Shores.

Also you will note that there are numerous incidents in Shores books that just cannot be reconciled between Allied records and whatever Japanese records, diaries, etc they may have had access to.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 138
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:01:51 PM   
TheElf

quote:

I disagree. Here's why. The "skill" assessment made by game designers is arbitrary. Try to find an "index of skill rating" applied consistently across the board, or rationalized by any real world data (hours of flight time, hours of advanced combat training time, hours of actual combat time, never mind intangibles such as "tendency to be alert") and you won't find such an index.

At what point do you say enough detail is enough? How many places to the right of the decimal point is appropriate in a game like this? There are people here on this forum, long-time players who'd tell you that they don't even want individual pilots. I on the other hand find the feature a central theme in my games. I am biased though.

I happen to also think that EXP SHOULD play a major role as a variable in the A2A routine, but there is a point of diminishing returns when you talk about "fleshing out" how EXP works, and how many different measurements of it there are in the code. As it is the code isn't structured to handle much more than a 1-100 number. And I don't think it's necessary. There are other variables that can inject the same effect

quote:

The whole history of the thread (at least in re me vs the usual Axis Fanboys) is the AF's claim that in 1942 the Zeros were better planes than the Allied planes, that the Zeroes were flown by better pilots, and that the Zeroes usually swept the skies of all opfor until suddenly the Thach Weave showed up.

If you are talking about USN Fighter pilots I don't agree with your characterization above. I haven't seen anyone say that USN fighter pilots were inferior to Japanese. An exclusive statement like that against either side would be naive. The two sides put emphasis on different facets of training, but that doesn't mean for example that there weren't dead-eye dick's in the IJN ranks when it came to deflection shooting, it just means that the lowest common denominator when he reached the fleet was better at it in the USN. Now the Army Air Corps in 42'? That's a different story.

As to the rest of it: The Zero, when taken in a lb for lb comparison with the F4F, had significant advantages that when taken in sum allowed it's pilots to dictate, in most cases, the terms of the fight, assuming BOTH pilots were aware of the other's presence and when meeting on relatively even terms of position and energy state. When they didn't the relative performances of the two a/c were rendered moot by the tactical situation.

The Thach weave was a defensive tactic that when employed properly, preferably in division, could also allow an offensive opportunity for one of the F4Fs in the opposing section (this is boilerplate). There were NO purely offensive tactics developed for the F4F, except diving from superior height. But that is a basic tenet of Air Combat not a tactic developed by anyone after Oswald Boelcke, and certainly not a secret weapon known only to the allies.

The Thach weave was not used decisively at Midway.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 139
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:03:21 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

The biggest problem I have with Shores is that by his own admission in the preface, his sources for Japan are - by necessity - incomplete.

Therefore, it stands to reason that the work has to be taken with a grain of salt, and is by definition "incomplete", though the detail of what is in the book is often impressive.

That is an issue with every military historian conducting research on this time period. Japanese records are incomplete and it doesn't matter whether your name is Shores, Lundstrom, Frank or any one of a host of others.

The works produced by these individuals are probably about as good as they are going to get. And I trust them far more than most accounts in Hyperwar for example where little if any attempt at reconcilation was made.

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 140
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:27:38 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

In fact, I can think of exactly one high school student that I've met during my time here.

Termi, you are generally full of ****e but that's a pretty accurate statement.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 141
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:31:40 PM   
timtom

quote:

Re the A6M:

The Zero was a low-wing design, constructed of a lightweight aluminum alloy named "Extra-Super Duraluminum (ESD)", with the exception of fabric-covered rudder and elevators ...

... Although a two-blade propeller was initially fitted to the first A6M1 prototype, it led to vibration problems and was replaced by a three-blade variable-pitch Hamilton Standard propeller, built under license by Sumitomo.

... The two Type 97 7.7-millimeter machine guns, a license-built British Vickers design, were fitted in the cowling and fired through the propeller using synchronizing gear.

In any case, my WW II aircraft encylopedia claims only 2 airworthy Zeros left, but I've seen planes that "passed" for Zeros -- at least on the outside -- at air shows and in the movies. I recall these faux Zeros were pre-WW II US trainers, but I can't confirm it anywhere.

Paxman: "Starter question for ten: Name this iconic British fighter."

Paxman: "No? Anyone from Scumbag College to buzz?"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by timtom -- 9/12/2007 11:37:17 PM >

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 142
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:37:22 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

quote:

Re the A6M:

Paxman: "Starter question for ten: Name this iconic British fighter."

Paxman: "No? Anyone from Scumbag College to buzz?"

Classic!

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 143
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:39:37 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

For extra credit, name that member!

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 144
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:52:54 PM   
TheElf

quote:

quote:

quote:

For extra credit, name that member!

Gut reaction would be to say Marky, but I'm fairly certain he is of drinking age... I might have to think about this. Is he still around?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 145
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/12/2007 11:59:15 PM   
Terminus

Nope. He went off to college and subsequently disappeared from the forum; was definitely in high school when I arrived.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 9/13/2007 12:01:08 AM >

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 146
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/13/2007 12:03:35 AM   
anarchyintheuk

Alikichi (sp?) or something like that.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 147
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/13/2007 12:07:38 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Yeah that answer matches what I know of Alikchi, but I thought when he graduated it was from college...That still doesn't explain why he pulled the Milk carton stunt after being so involved here for so long...

< Message edited by TheElf -- 9/13/2007 12:09:24 AM >

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 148
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/13/2007 12:07:59 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

At what point do you say enough detail is enough?

It really depends on what you want the game to look and feel like, and the degree to which you want it to be "like WW2." For me, it's detailed enough if it's got operational planning, and the combat model consistently generates "WW2 like" results, at about the same times as in WW2, but not necessarily in the same places (because, as a consim and a game, it presumes that the players might plan different operations than the ones executed in the real war, or initiate them at different times than in the real war).

I DO think you know you have too much detail if you are adding details to the model when you can't truth those details against something tangible and measurable in the real war. Thus my general loathing of "EXP" anyhow. I used to regard it as a kind of "hold your nose abstraction" in GGPW. Now I just think it's a made up number with no bearing on anything at all. To a degree, I think the values assigned to the various a.c. stats in WitP are the same sort of thing, although they sometimes at least get the relative rank order of different a.c. correct, with respect to speed or durability.

quote:

How many places to the right of the decimal point is appropriate in a game like this?

That really depends on how sensitive the combat alogorithm is to the number of decimal places. I suspect one could create a good combat alorithm with a simple numeric rank order of quality. Pilots: 0-bad, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5-best; planes 0-bad, 1,2,3,4,5- best. But that'd be a different game. I liked all that excessive detail in GGPW, 'though regarding it as flawed, found it both annoying and flawed in UV, and excessive (probably because of the larger scale of the game), annoying, and "retaining the same tradition of flaws" in WitP that it had in UV.

quote:

There are people here on this forum, long-time players who'd tell you that they don't even want individual pilots.

I'd agree with them.

quote:

I happen to also think that EXP SHOULD play a major role as a variable in the A2A routine,

I might agree if "whatever EXP is supposed to be" could be objectively tied to any suite of thingies in the real world. How does the Japanese use of an (inferior) three-plane section, their disdain for radios, or their tendency NOT to fly mutual support factor into "EXP?"

quote:

I haven't seen anyone say that USN fighter pilots were inferior to Japanese.

Heh. Wait around a bit. And if "EXP" is a substitute for "General Pilot Ability As An Abstraction of Personal Characteristics, Training, Doctrine, and Combat Experience" then the generally higher Japanese EXP ratings in WitP at-start seems to imply an assumption that the Japanese were better pilots.

quote:

it just means that the lowest common denominator when he reached the fleet was better at it in the USN.

Well, then, by WW2 "in real life" results, one would have to conclude with all those slightly inferior lowest-common-denominator types in the USN, then the USN's "highest common denominator" types should have been somewhat better than the Japanese. Otherwise, how come the Japanese didn't dominate versus the USN?

quote:

Now the Army Air Corps in 42'? That's a different story.

I'm not certain that is correct. It used to be said by my unesteemed opfor here that the Japanese pilots were simply better than USN ones. Now, at least, in their desperation, they accuse me of claiming that American pilots were vastly better than Japanese (largely because they can't defend against the arguments that I actually make, so they attempt to substitue arguments that they WISH I'd make). But they stand by their claims about the inferiority of US Army pilots. That's why I'm working on compiling loss ratios of the US army pilots. I suspect alot that has been written about the superiority of Japanese pilots qua US Army pilots is also a load of rubbish.

quote:

The Zero, when taken in a lb for lb comparison with the F4F, had significant advantages that when taken in sum allowed it's pilots to dictate, in most cases, the terms of the fight, assuming BOTH pilots were aware of the other's presence and when meeting on relatively even terms of position and energy state.

It's an incorrect clai. The Zero couldn't "dictate" anything. At best, it could try to lure an Allied a.c. into a turning engagement until the allied a.c. lost so much energy that the Zero could set it up for a kill. In a face to face attack, the allied planes (even the lowly buffalo) were flat-out better. In level flight, the P-39 and P-40 were faster. All other things being equal, the only planes that the Zeroes could "dictate" to were TBDs, SBDs, F2s, and to a limited extent, F4Fs. When the allied planes had sufficient altitude they had the option of diving out, leaving the Zero far behind, climbing to altitude, and "dictating" a head to head pass -- for which the Allied planes were substantially better suited than the Zero.

quote:

There were NO purely offensive tactics developed for the F4F, except diving from superior height.

That's what happens when the OpFor is 12 mph faster.

quote:

The Thach weave was not used decisively at Midway.

It worked for Thach at Midway, and two other guys, who improvised a 3 plane weave and used it successfully. It wasn't widely used by the USN until, IIRC, Btl of Eastern Solomons, and the USMC didn't really use it much at all. Mutual support was, however, trained among USN, & USMC aviators before the war even began.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 9/13/2007 12:10:52 AM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 149
RE: Übercorsair and übercap - 9/13/2007 12:11:30 AM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Yeah that answer matches what I know of Alikchi, but I thought when he graduated it was from college...That still doesn't explain why he pulled the Milk carton stunt after being so involved here for so long...

Well, it was Alikchi. He went off to college and developed other interests. But I will agree it was a bit abrupt, right in the middle of his playtest AAR of Iron Storm II. Most improper...

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Übercorsair and übercap Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI