Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Map & counter mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Map & counter mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Map & counter mod - 2/21/2008 6:25:53 AM   
GJK

I don't have the original .psd or Photoshop (or whatever image editing program was used) for the original graphics that shipped with the game. The artist for Matrix that worked on those will need to make any corrections that are needed for that map. Any changes needed for my modded map I can handle, of course.

(in reply to arichbourg)
Post #: 121
RE: Map & counter mod - 4/4/2008 6:21:32 PM   
SlickWilhelm

GJK,

I just downloaded the new 1.22 beta patch, and it overwrote your map. Do you happen to have a new version for 1.22 somewhere? Or even for 1.20?

I tried the ftp link you have listed earlier in this thread, but I'm getting a "file not found" error.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 122
RE: Map & counter mod - 4/5/2008 1:29:26 AM   
GJK

I thought the new patch was going to include the map; maybe it's going to be in a later patch. I'll check it out tonight after I get home and if not, provide an alternate link to download.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 123
RE: Map & counter mod - 4/5/2008 6:11:35 AM   
SlickWilhelm

Nevermind, the patch did indeed create an "Alternates" sub directory in the main GOA directory, in which I found your map. I'm good to to go!

< Message edited by Slick Wilhelm -- 4/5/2008 6:13:07 AM >

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 124
RE: Map & counter mod - 4/9/2008 5:24:33 PM   
Agrippa

Great work!

Salute,

Agrippa

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 125
RE: Map & counter mod - 6/1/2008 7:46:42 AM   
geozero

Wow... I've held off for a long time buying the game because the original map is...well...ugly.

But this map and counter mod really blew me away. Fantastic job. I really think they should incorporate THIS map into the game and redo all the screenshots. I think you will get more sales with a superb looking map like this mod than with the original.

GREAT JOB!!!!

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 126
RE: Map & counter mod - 6/1/2008 1:42:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hey Geozero,

It _is_ in the game, as of the latest official update.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 127
RE: Map & counter mod - 6/1/2008 8:05:39 PM   
geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hey Geozero,

It _is_ in the game, as of the latest official update.

Regards,

- Erik

GREAT TO HEAR HEAR!

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 128
Revised original-style map - 6/16/2008 2:54:17 PM   
arichbourg

quote:

ORIGINAL: arichbourg

Although the new map is a fabulous piece of work, I prefer the original graphics. . . . I would really love to see the original map corrected (and maybe even add in the title graphic in the lower left gray box).

Well, I did this myself and with Erik's permission, posted it here: http://www.geocities.com/athos_10/GoA/GOAMaps.zip for anyone to download (it's about 25MB). Make backups of the files GOAmap.bmp, OverallGOAMap.bmp, and Overview.bmp in C:\Matrix Games\Guns of August\GRAPHICS, then extract the 3 files in GOAMaps.zip to that folder.

The changes include cities moved around and/or added to match the game data, and terrain corrected in a few places. There are probably more hexes that need to be changed - let me know if you find any.

I had hoped to add flags and counters for Greece and a flag for Albania, but alas, noworky.

Regards,

Alan

Attachment (1)

(in reply to arichbourg)
Post #: 129
RE: Revised original-style map - 6/17/2008 3:12:04 AM   
Lascar

quote:

quote:

Although the new map is a fabulous piece of work, I prefer the original graphics. . . . I would really love to see the original map corrected (and maybe even add in the title graphic in the lower left gray box).

Well, I did this myself and with Erik's permission, posted it here: http://www.geocities.com/athos_10/GoA/GOAMaps.zip for anyone to download (it's about 25MB). Make backups of the files GOAmap.bmp, OverallGOAMap.bmp, and Overview.bmp in C:\Matrix Games\Guns of August\GRAPHICS, then extract the 3 files in GOAMaps.zip to that folder.

The changes include cities moved around and/or added to match the game data, and terrain corrected in a few places. There are probably more hexes that need to be changed - let me know if you find any.

I had hoped to add flags and counters for Greece and a flag for Albania, but alas, noworky.

Regards,

Alan

Thanks for taking the time to do this arichbourg. This is much appreciated.

(in reply to arichbourg)
Post #: 130
RE: Map & counter mod - 7/17/2008 12:11:52 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

I've just uploaded what I think is the final versions of both the map and counters. I have rolled these up into one zip. IF you want to use both the counters AND the map, then simply extract this into your Guns of August install directory. IF you do not want to use either the counter OR the map, then extract this to a temporary folder and then just copy over either the map or the counters - they are in their respective folders.

Changes to the COUNTERS:
1. AH counters are a lighter shade of gray with a blue(r) NATO symbol to more easily distinguish them from Germans.

2. U.S. Inf, Shock and Cav are now Brigades instead of Corps (should be Brigade (+) I suppose).

Changes to the MAP:
1. None - so if you're using the map only, you don't need this update.

Download the file HERE (6.86mb)

This link doesn't work for me anymore...

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 131
RE: Map & counter mod - 7/17/2008 2:24:26 AM   
Erik Rutins

It's included in the latest version of GOA as an option.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 132
RE: Map & counter mod - 10/30/2008 3:29:40 AM   
lordhoff

Both maps work for me but the newer version is generally easier to use/read. If anyone is still monitoring this thread, however, I have one suggestion. The trench number on the Italian units is very difficult to read due to a lack of contrast (white on yellow). Perhaps a few shades of grey darker on the letters would make this readable without squinting.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 133
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2008 5:48:05 PM   
elmo3

Love the optional map.  And how refreshing that North is up!  Apologies to AGEOD but I couldn't resist that one. 

Edit - Never mind, I figured out where IronX's counters needed to go to work with the alternate map.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 11/28/2008 6:03:18 PM >

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 134
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2008 7:14:37 PM   
FM WarB

I like the mod, but there are some issues with forts not represented and a hex which shows as a fort but is not. You must check the terrain information to be sure.
On French front in Alsace-Lorraine one fort graphic is missing. Galipoli is shown as a fort, Constantinople is not. Terrain info indcates the opposite.
The fort graphic does not disappear when the fort is destroyed by siege arty. I'd rather see PORT grahics than fort graphics, as the terrain info does not say which towns are ports.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 135
RE: Map & counter mod - 1/8/2009 11:22:42 AM   
Stwa

I made an Overall and Overview map to go with the alternate map. If anyone is interested.

Also, where do I get IronX's counters?

Edit: Hehe, looks like someone already made those maps long ago. And I found the counters!

< Message edited by Stwa -- 1/9/2009 12:20:03 AM >

(in reply to FM WarB)
Post #: 136
RE: Map & counter mod - 1/8/2009 11:23:32 PM   
Stwa

quote:

I don't have the original .psd or Photoshop (or whatever image editing program was used) for the original graphics that shipped with the game. The artist for Matrix that worked on those will need to make any corrections that are needed for that map. Any changes needed for my modded map I can handle, of course.

Can you make a version of the map that doesn't have the hex grid painted on?

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 137
RE: Map & counter mod - 1/19/2009 4:12:01 AM   
GJK

I can, I need a place to upload it to however as it will be near 40mb in size.

Also, if Erik/Frank/Matrix wants, I can upload the .PSD file that I made for it so that others can expand upon it and make corrections/additions. However that file is nearly 300mb in size, so again, I need a place to upload it to.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 138
RE: Map & counter mod - 1/19/2009 1:08:23 PM   
Stwa

Would be nice if this version could be included in the next patch. The psd's are necessary if there is to be any futher changes. I was able to create a version of the existing map without hexes. Eventually I was able to preserve the road system at the same time by dialing down the threshold for the "select by color" function. Nevertheless, I am sure your version of a no hex map would be much nicer since you have everything layered.

Thanks a ton for this nice map!

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 139
RE: Map & counter mod - 2/13/2009 8:10:52 PM   
Skanvak

Can it be possible to add to the next patch alternate counter and alternate maps
Because I like the old counter on the new map.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 140
RE: Map & counter mod - 6/13/2011 11:30:18 PM   
Big B

It's a pity, it looks like none of your artwork links still work....

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 141
RE: Map & counter mod - 6/14/2011 4:28:37 AM   
GJK

The map and counters should show up in an "Alternates" folder once you've installed the latest patch - I can't confirm that as I've been away from this game for some time (but should find the time to play again, it's a great game!). If they aren't, send me a message and I'll get them to you some how.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 142
RE: Map & counter mod - 6/14/2011 6:17:53 PM   
Big B

Ok - Thanks! I'll check it out..

B
quote:

The map and counters should show up in an "Alternates" folder once you've installed the latest patch - I can't confirm that as I've been away from this game for some time (but should find the time to play again, it's a great game!). If they aren't, send me a message and I'll get them to you some how.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 143
RE: Map & counter mod - 6/15/2011 11:17:53 AM   
SMK-at-work

Yep - and when you start a new gamethere's an "orginal/alternate" selection at the bottom of the options screen where you can select either/or.

But if you want to mix (eg alternate map with original counters or vice versa) then you have to do so manually by shifting the files around - in which case you should be careful to make copies of both for restoring at any time.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 144
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/8/2011 9:09:26 AM   
lamarwisneski

Hi GJK you are doing your best efforts by uploading the picture to the main ftp area but for more screenshots the link you have given is not working.

Thanks

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 145
RE: Map & counter mod - 8/15/2012 10:09:30 PM   
AlphonseZukor

I like both. Looks good.

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 146
RE: Map & counter mod - 8/15/2012 10:11:47 PM   
AlphonseZukor

I like both. Looks good.

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 147
RE: Map & counter mod - 12/27/2013 11:15:28 PM   
sol_invictus

Coming back to the game after many years playing other conflicts and I must say that the map and counters look excellent. The map is a huge improvement and while the original counters were fine and good, the clean NATO graphics suit with me better because of my boardgame days.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to AlphonseZukor)
Post #: 148
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Map & counter mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI