Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lots of questions and newbie issues:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Lots of questions and newbie issues: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/24/2007 5:24:02 AM   
Mangudai

I just got this game, about a day and a half of play + reading the manual and browsing the forum. I'm confused about a lot of things.

Grouping:
How does horizontal grouping as a stack differ from vertical stacking using the special functions + division layout. Does it matter at all for small independent commands? How about Jackson in the Shenendoah, if you're not going to use separate corps right away?

The manual says you can make divisions without generals. How?

In the tutorial it tells you to merge Crittendon's corp with McClerendan's. This seemed to obliterate the corp structure we had just setup for Crittendon. Did I do something wrong? Is Crittendons force supposed to keep its structure?

Shipping:
How should the confederacy use ships for profit?
I noticed a ship in the shipping lanes box brought some supplies in, while a ship next to the bahamanian city brought nothing. What are all the islands etc good for? Do you just park ships in the shipping lanes box and return only for repairs? How does that work in the gulf?

Post #: 1
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/24/2007 6:14:55 AM   
Sardonic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mangudai

I just got this game, about a day and a half of play + reading the manual and browsing the forum. I'm confused about a lot of things.

Grouping:
How does horizontal grouping as a stack differ from vertical stacking using the special functions + division layout. Does it matter at all for small independent commands? How about Jackson in the Shenendoah, if you're not going to use separate corps right away?

The manual says you can make divisions without generals. How?

In the tutorial it tells you to merge Crittendon's corp with McClerendan's. This seemed to obliterate the corp structure we had just setup for Crittendon. Did I do something wrong? Is Crittendons force supposed to keep its structure?

Shipping:
How should the confederacy use ships for profit?
I noticed a ship in the shipping lanes box brought some supplies in, while a ship next to the bahamanian city brought nothing. What are all the islands etc good for? Do you just park ships in the shipping lanes box and return only for repairs? How does that work in the gulf?

You cant make a division w/o a leader

If you put a corp inside the same stack as the army, the corp is destroyed and its parts added to the army

Only stuff in boxes gets you anything imported.

The islands are good to get repaired on, and resupplied on. Something you WILL want.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 2
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/24/2007 3:47:41 PM   
Mangudai

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding shipping, part of my problem is i havent figured out which ships to use for which functions. CSA starts with several ships with little transport capacity... maybe these are war ships. Are some units better in shipping lanes and some in blockade box?

So you do want to visit islands with lots of boxes. Then what? Can your ships camp there, or do they need to transit back and forth to your home ports?

I'm still confused about grouping. Suppose I have a 1star general and two brigades as an independent force. Does it matter how they are grouped?

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 3
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/24/2007 4:39:49 PM   
Mangudai

Each state will only field so many units. If you buy lots of militia early in the game does this restrict your ability to get regular troops later. Is there a way to disband militia or convert them into regulars?

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 4
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/25/2007 9:37:43 AM   
Aurelian

The troop types are seperate. You can, however, merge two militia together, which frees up a slot.

IIRC, militias can turn into conscripts by events. I think then you can train conscripts into regulars.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 5
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/25/2007 4:16:39 PM   
Sardonic

quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding shipping, part of my problem is i havent figured out which ships to use for which functions. CSA starts with several ships with little transport capacity... maybe these are war ships. Are some units better in shipping lanes and some in blockade box?

So you do want to visit islands with lots of boxes. Then what? Can your ships camp there, or do they need to transit back and forth to your home ports?

I'm still confused about grouping. Suppose I have a 1star general and two brigades as an independent force. Does it matter how they are grouped?

Asfar as I can tell, only Brigs will bring you goodies, and only in the gulf box
I have tried putting transports in there, and I got nada.

If you are industrious, you can load a Confed force onto transports and go take the union ports.
That will greatly slow him down., till he takes them back.

The problem is that the best place to recover cohesion, for the Gulf area is the two union ports.

Make sure you use your raiders wisely.

A force composition doesnt matter as long as command points are not exceeded.
The whole purpose of divisions and corps is to assist in not exceeding.

I use two frigates and two brigs under Semmes to raid.
put the force on evade.
Only union frigates have a reasonable chance of catching Semmes.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 6
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/25/2007 10:30:57 PM   
Mangudai

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

The troop types are seperate. You can, however, merge two militia together, which frees up a slot.

IIRC, militias can turn into conscripts by events. I think then you can train conscripts into regulars.

How do you merge two militia together? Select both then use the + special function? Can you do it if they are both full strength.

How do you train conscripts into regulars?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 7
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/25/2007 10:43:36 PM   
Mangudai

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardonic

quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Asfar as I can tell, only Brigs will bring you goodies, and only in the gulf box

If you are industrious, you can load a Confed force onto transports and go take the union ports.

The problem is that the best place to recover cohesion, for the Gulf area is the two union ports.

put the force on evade.

Ok so brigs in the blockade boxes give money to the CSA, and the CSA gets no money from any other sea zone. The USA only gets money in from the Shipping lanes. Only with brigs? or transports too? Shipping lanes are also for ocean supply network. And, the islands are just friendly ports for the CSA. Did I get that right?

It appears in play that an independent division is better than a 1* and a stack of troops arranged horizontally, although both have some command penalty. However there is a weird feature that I don't understand. Any general can be combined with one regular unit who will appear above the unit panel. You don't need a division to do this. It only works with one unit if you're not a division, and I don't see a change in command points. You can also do this with a corp commander. What's up with this?

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 8
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/26/2007 7:04:14 AM   
Sardonic

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardonic

quote:

Thanks for the reply.

put the force on evade.

Ok so brigs in the blockade boxes give money to the CSA, and the CSA gets no money from any other sea zone. The USA only gets money in from the Shipping lanes. Only with brigs? or transports too? Shipping lanes are also for ocean supply network. And, the islands are just friendly ports for the CSA. Did I get that right?

It appears in play that an independent division is better than a 1* and a stack of troops arranged horizontally, although both have some command penalty. However there is a weird feature that I don't understand. Any general can be combined with one regular unit who will appear above the unit panel. You don't need a division to do this. It only works with one unit if you're not a division, and I don't see a change in command points. You can also do this with a corp commander. What's up with this?

Thats just a quick gimmic to give a leader a command to get him xp
It represents brigade commands

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 9
RE: Lots of questions and newbie issues: - 9/26/2007 12:10:04 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

How do you merge two militia together? Select both then use the + special function? Can you do it if they are both full strength.

How do you train conscripts into regulars?

Yes, select both and use the special function. Militia full strength is for the most part 10-15, so they can be merged.

Stack conscripts with a officer that has the training ability. haven't played long enough to see if any is done by event.

http://ageod.nsen.ch/aacwwiki/FAQ#Tips

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 9/26/2007 2:49:11 PM >

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Lots of questions and newbie issues: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI