Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat Mission series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Combat Mission series Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat Mission series - 10/5/2007 9:46:21 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi all,

Out of curiosity I have done some searching looking to see if anyone has ever written a comparison between SP:WaW and the Combat Mission series from Battlefront.

I wasn't able to find anything. A few references, but no comparissons. I was curious because I own all of the CM series and am just starting to mess about with SPWaW.

Has anyone else played both? What, besides the obvious graphical differences and the WEGO, do you find most different?

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Post #: 1
RE: Combat Mission series - 10/7/2007 6:49:33 PM   
m10bob

I too have both, and each has its' own merits.
CM puts you in a first perspective on the battlefield of whatever unit you choose to "jump to", and once you start a unit moving, you need to constantly go to another unit to give orders as all movement is simultaneous, real-time.
I prefer the turn-based top-down play of SPWAW which allows more freedom to plan strategic and tactical actions on a changing battlefield where you have some control over the events in relation to time.
I love both games but keep SPWAW on my hard-drive, the other in the CD case, in spite of the VAST(!) availibility of GREAT(!) graphic mods available for literally every unit,structure, tree, of CM.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat Mission series - 10/7/2007 8:26:13 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

I think, having played through the tutorials and having even being a mod maker for the CM series, that I see exactly where your are coming from.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat Mission series - 10/7/2007 11:35:55 PM   
SlowHand

I too liked both very much. The ability to generate random maps and choose forces was a big plus for both.

I was very keen on the H2H internet play of CM for a while, and even PBEM, but ultimately I stuck with SPWaW longer because you could play "bigger battles" much more easily, and because the PBEM structure suited it better.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Combat Mission series Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI