Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Batting Lineup: Expert help needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Batting Lineup: Expert help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Batting Lineup: Expert help needed - 11/1/2007 2:59:34 AM   
Frido1207

Wow, what a lovely game (well I just come off a 3-2 comeback win over the Division leading Pittsburgh Pirates after 12 Innings; but tbh I also had some very frustating moments)

Here´s the question I want to ask:
As an european Baseball noob I´m playing a bit around with the Batting lineup.
I´m not sure about the best general strategie. Should I put my strongest Batters in to a line (e,g. spot 3, 4, 5,) or should I distribute them over the lineup (e.g. spot 2, 5, 8)?
I´m asking this, because my Team only produce few hits & even fewer runs. Often the Innings ends up with one or more players left on bases, which is very frustrating.
Any "inside" tipp is much appreciated.
Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Batting Lineup: Expert help needed - 11/1/2007 3:09:02 AM   
MPHopcroft1

The #1 spot, called "leadoff", should be occupied by a fast contact hitter. His job is to get on base, so if he draws a lot of walks so much the better, and he is often your best base-stealer.

The #3 spot usually goes to the best overall hitter, while the #4 spot (called "cleanup") is your best power hitter. Here's a historical example: on the 1927 New York Yankees' "Murderer's Row", right-fielder Babe Ruth (who would set a single-season Home Run record that would stand for thirty years) hit third and Lou Gehrig (a threat to win the Triple Crown) hit fourth.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin

(in reply to Frido1207)
Post #: 2
RE: Batting Lineup: Expert help needed - 11/1/2007 3:19:31 AM   
Frido1207

Thx MPHopcroft for your very helpful & informative reply. I should have asked this (& getting your nice help) just before I drafted my players (ahem).

< Message edited by th1207 -- 11/1/2007 3:20:20 AM >

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 3
RE: Batting Lineup: Expert help needed - 11/1/2007 5:39:09 PM   
jeremy7227

If you have an opportunity you should read about Whitey Herzog and Earl Weaver, two Major League Managers from the 1970s and 80's. Herzog is most famous for managing the Cardinals and Weaver the Orioles in their respective championship dynasties. They had very different opinions on lineup and roster composition but both enjoyed great success. Herzog coveted defense, speed and "small-ball" above all else. Weaver is the father of the 3-run homer philosophy. Weaver's key tenets were that the fastest way around the bases is the HR and you should never play for one run unless you know that one run is going to win you the game (i.e. in the home half of the 9th in a tie ball game). You can't go wrong emulating either style but I would say that most of today's managers emulate Weaver. It all depends on the personnel of your particular team. Play to your strengths but good hitters should not be spread out in the lineup - they will hit better collectively by protecting each-other from being pitched around.

My personal rules for building a lineup follows:
1 - Good hitter with exceptional speed
2 - A good contact hitter with some speed and the ability to move a runner into scoring position. A guy who won't hit many HRs but may hit a lot of 2Bs... or conversely a guy who has a high OBP and is a good bunter.
3 - Your best hitter. This is where your MVP candidate should be. High average, high power. In the 3rd spot he is guaranteed to bat in the first inning and he will have the most opportunity to drive in the 1-2 hitters.
4 - Your second best hitter with a lot of power. He is here to ensure that the #3 gets good pitches to hit and also to clean up (hence the term clean-up hitter) and drive in the runs that the #3 leaves on base.
5 - A power position but this guy may hit for a lower average (see Rob Deer)
6 - A guy with some offensive punch but probably a better contact hitter than a power hitter but no slouch.
7 - My favorite position in the lineup. A lot of good hitters hit here. It is like your second clean up spot. This guy should be a little better of an all around hitter than your #6.
8 - The good glove guy - hide a weak hitter here.
9 - If you are in the NL this is the pitcher's spot. If you play with a DH then this is where you put a fast player who doesn't get on base as often as your lead-off man.

Hope that helps.

JL

(in reply to Frido1207)
Post #: 4
RE: Batting Lineup: Expert help needed - 11/1/2007 6:12:51 PM   
slider15

I agree with Jeremy. There was another theory that you put your best all around hitter in the lead off and work your way down, being that the leadoff hitter will get the most at bats in the season you'd get more offensive productivity. However I don't agree with this and use a similar lineup for all of my teams. It comes down to managerial preferences too. Don't be afraid to experiment either.

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

(in reply to jeremy7227)
Post #: 5
My own strategy... - 11/1/2007 6:23:20 PM   
Walewander

I like to mess around with lineups... One of my favorite ways to do things is put the player with the highest OBP in the leadoff slot, unless he's also the player with the highest OPS, in which case he's in the second slot and the player with the next highest OBP takes his leadoff slot. From 3 to 9 I just go downt he line in turns of OPS. I will usually run this way for a week or so at a time before changing things up accoridng to the change in statistics. I think this strategy can lead to some great offenses in Pure Sim.

(in reply to slider15)
Post #: 6
RE: My own strategy... - 11/1/2007 6:27:05 PM   
jeremy7227

That probably is a way to "game the system" and produce lots of runs in PureSim. I rely more on ratings than stats and I tend to set my 1, 3-4-5 hitters in the spring and they stay there until October. Unless something drastic happens to one of them, like flirting with .200 for an extended period, I like the consistency.

(in reply to Walewander)
Post #: 7
RE: My own strategy... - 11/1/2007 7:06:54 PM   
Frido1207

Great help. Thank you guys (esp. jeremy). Will immediately change my lineup based on your suggestions.

(in reply to jeremy7227)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Batting Lineup: Expert help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI