Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to Get Playing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Birth of America >> How to Get Playing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to Get Playing? - 11/1/2007 10:30:30 AM   
Adam Parker

Ok for want of some good gaming I dearly want to fire up my copy of BoA I bought a while ago.

Yet I read in another thread that there is a "ton of bugs" to fix and some AI tweaks still to come.

So my questions are:

1. When is the new patch due?

2. Should I download the current patch and start re-learning the game?

3. What version is the latest rule book and where can I get it? I currently have printed v 1.09.

4. Should I just await the Gold version and when will it arrive? September has passed!

5. Should I just buy ACW and learn that instead?

Thanks Pocus and fellow gamers.
Post #: 1
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/1/2007 3:30:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

Adam,

Just to comment here - I played through the entire BOA campaign with the first or second release (can't remember for sure) and it was fun, enjoyable and challenging. The game has only improved since then, there's really no reason to wait to play it. I'm sure future updates will fix some bugs and make improvements, but sometimes bug lists get mistaken for a "broken" game which is far, far from the truth in many cases. With popular games like BOA, it really just means that the game gets played a lot and things that might never be discovered with other games are discovered with games that get a lot of play. There's nothing on the bug list I'm aware of that is keeping the current version from being a very fun and satisfying wargame.

I would definitely learn BOA before AACW, it will make AACW a bit easier to learn and BOA also fits better when you don't have a ton of free time in your schedule.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 2
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/1/2007 5:54:38 PM   
George40

I have played through once as the British (default settings) and am working through a second go with the difficulty settings turned up.  It is a really fun game as is.  The only bug that has been of much note is that you can't move naval artillery between towns/forts.  It is a slight bummer, but no more than that.  The game is fun as is.  I am planning on playing through a few times as each side then giving the ACW title a try.

George

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/2/2007 6:11:19 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

... So my questions are:
1. When is the new patch due?
2. Should I download the current patch and start re-learning the game?
3. What version is the latest rule book and where can I get it? I currently have printed v 1.09.
4. Should I just await the Gold version and when will it arrive? September has passed!
5. Should I just buy ACW and learn that instead?
Thanks Pocus and fellow gamers.

(1-2) You may want to head to the AGEOD forum to get the latest patch info. Currently BoA is at 1.12a, which has strict supply penalties for large armies and, IMO, is the most historic version of the game. You shouldn't have to relearn much at all.

(3) 1.09 is the latest manual I know of, but that will change for BoA Gold.

(4) As you already paid for the game, give it a go; I think AGEOD just started B testing.

(5) I haven't played ACW yet, but many swear by it. However, some have had trouble learning the game vs. BoA. But as you already have BoA in hand, why not start on that?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 4
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/2/2007 10:53:11 AM   
Adam Parker

Thanks gents. I really appreciate the comments from you all.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 5
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/2/2007 3:50:53 PM   
George40

Adam, I would add one more observation having just finished a second full campaign vs. the computer as the Empire with the difficulty turned up.  It is far too easy for hte Empire to steam roll the Rebels.  I am going to try the Mod by Jager from the Ageod forums
http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4949

It may help balance things out.  Then I will give the Americans a run.  Still fun, just not much of a challenge as the Brits against the computer.

George

Post #: 6
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/2/2007 6:39:57 PM   
Joe D.

Too easy for the Brits under v 1.12a? In the earlier BoA versions, there never would have been an America -- I used to call BoA "Stillbirth of America" -- as the Brits were able to field large, irresistible armies w/o any supply restraints; that changed drastically after the 1.12 patch.

Adam: some time in the future, let us know what you finally decided re BoA and what happened; just post script it at the end of this thread.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to George40)
Post #: 7
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/4/2007 3:24:33 PM   
Adam Parker

Joe, well the climax is this.

I read through most of the BoA 1.09 rulebook and liked what I saw. I visited the AGEOD forums and noted that BoA Gold will be based on its AACW - and both will soon benefit from its soon to be released Napoleonic title.

So I bought AACW and am now in the middle of its tutorial! I'm still liking what I see.

BoA/AACW are so fresh in PC gaming in look, feel and UI that they are commanding my renewed attention. Diverted by other recent Matrix purchases which I've since relegated to the back of my game storage area, AGEOD now has my full attention.

The AGEOD guys are pros, accessible, genuine and proud! They're promising to give me exactly what I've been hoping for - good, intermedite level strategic warfare. 1755-1815 with the promise of more on "The Continent" once I'm done, beckons with relief. Here's to hopefully some legendary sessions at the PC screen.

Thanks all again for the encouragement to pursue.

Cheers,
Adam.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 8
RE: How to Get Playing? - 11/4/2007 8:11:15 PM   
Joe D.

You couldn't go wrong w/either AGEOD game in any version, but it's been an experience playing BoA as it morphed from its first version at 1.0 into (almost) a different game faster than a speeding bullet!

Other software companies have tried to incorporate new innovations into older games, but apparently they haven't been as successful as AGEOD.

I plan to get the lesser add-on for BoA to go Gold, and eventually I'll pick up AACW; in the mean time I'm enjoying Rome: Total War, which I got brand new at a bargain price.

As you can see, when it comes to buying new software, I'm rarely in a hurry.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Birth of America >> How to Get Playing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI