Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Question for all...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Question for all... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Question for all... - 11/2/2007 10:38:28 AM   
Huffy

I was just watching a Military ch. show.."Battle front". To make it short...do you think the 5 inch AA guns/ammo, were more effective than a clump of .50 MG's..or a couple of 40/20 MM aa guns.
The reason I am asking this is...I was watching the attacks on the U.S. carriers...and the 5 inchers seem slow and clunky, as to the .50, 20MM, 40MM, swivle mount guns.
I mean no disrespect to the 5 inch gunners....I mean ,..I am watching a film...vs. , they were there.
Just a question,...thanks,
Huffy
Post #: 1
RE: A Question for all... - 11/2/2007 4:09:07 PM   
FlashfyreSP

I don't know if they were any more effective than the smaller-caliber guns, but they had a higher "ceiling" range (27,000ft compared to the 22,300ft of the 40mm Bofors and 10,000ft of the 20mm Oerlikon), which allowed for engaging targets much earlier. However, the slower ROF hindered their ability to engage fast-moving aircraft at lower altitudes, which is where the automatic 20mm/40mm guns came in.

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 2
RE: A Question for all... - 11/2/2007 9:36:01 PM   
greg_slith

Don't forget that the 5" guns had the VT fuses that meant you didn't need a direct hit to get a kill.  The .50, 20mm and 40mm (along with every other AAA gun) were only effective if you made contact (not counting the psych effect of tracers etc).  Also, the oomph of a 5" was quite abit more than that of the smaller rounds.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 3
RE: A Question for all... - 11/2/2007 10:58:04 PM   
Korpraali V

In AA-work heavy guns are to create cloud of explosions on certain area in front of attacking enemy squadrons. Their first goal is not to drop airplanes but to create a psychological image of impenetrable shield that no pilot can go through and stay alive. The purpose is to shock enemy pilots and force bombers to drop their bomb loads way before the target. Naturally when some planes do enter the cloud, some of them will get damaged or destroyed. But the main effectiveness is psychological. Smaller calibre guns are to stop those planes that have penetrated the cloud. They are to hit and kill, and for that they need to have high ROF and be easy to manouvre.

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: A Question for all... - 11/3/2007 12:49:07 AM   
Huffy

Thanks,...I didn't even give a thought to the increased range .
Huffy

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 5
RE: A Question for all... - 11/3/2007 6:41:22 PM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

Don't forget that the 5" guns had the VT fuses that meant you didn't need a direct hit to get a kill. The .50, 20mm and 40mm (along with every other AAA gun) were only effective if you made contact (not counting the psych effect of tracers etc). Also, the oomph of a 5" was quite abit more than that of the smaller rounds.

VT, or proximity, fuses weren't introduced until mid-1943 for naval use, and by 1944 for the Army's AA guns. However, the 5" AA guns had been in use for many years before this. The proximity fuses were very effective, both in helping achieve "kills" and in speeding up the firing process (no more setting fuses and the 'dead time' between setting the fuse and the actual firing).

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: A Question for all... - 11/3/2007 7:56:24 PM   
m10bob

In addition to the above comments, anything under 40mm is purely a "revenge weapon". Since they did not have efficient range to hit incoming planes far enough out, only the planes close enough to be hit with the smaller guns have either already made their attack, or are at/near the moment of attack.

The enemy pilots often became fixated on their target to the point they would aim their plane directly at the flashing gun tubs themselves. The guntubs became an often hit object on the ships by dying aircraft.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Question for all... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI