Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Shots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Shots Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Shots - 11/2/2007 2:10:25 AM   
saj42

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I hate to think what a plane ticket to Idaho from the East Coast costs

sorry guys your proposed CSAR mission is just too far for me (I'm on the other side of 'the pond')

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1681
RE: Shots - 11/2/2007 8:09:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

Do we need to mount a op to go retreive him?

I am alive and well. No need for a rescue op. I am merely trying to catch up on the work that didn't get done when I was gone for one lousy work day....plus all the poor asthmatic kids have been wiped out by the fires and Santa Ana winds (particulates and smoke). The symptoms are really peaking now even though the fires are mostly out.

Stalker girl is safely 850 miles away so I will try to catch up on two weeks of game turns already in the bag.

BTW....lets try not to use the verb "to mount" in such a cavalier fashion, shall we?

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 1682
RE: Shots - 11/2/2007 10:08:04 PM   
Nemo121

Hmm, I thought it was a particularly apt phrasing actually

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1683
RE: Shots - 11/3/2007 12:31:08 AM   
BrucePowers

So did I

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1684
San Miguel Humidor and Furniture Plant - 11/3/2007 5:18:15 AM   
Cap Mandrake

If you are ever in a traffic accident in Boise give your wallet to the ambulance driver and beg him to take you to Spokane or Salt Lake.
Try really hard like your life depends on it...because it does. Half of the female ER staff will be hung over and the other will be planning a rendezvous with anything with three legs (Note: there is liikely some overlap between the two groups).

Back to Yossarian and Milo. This is a repeat page just for orientation..you aren't going crazy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/3/2007 5:20:28 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1685
RE: San Miguel Humidor and Furniture Plant - 11/3/2007 5:19:01 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1686
RE: San Miguel Humidor and Furniture Plant - 11/3/2007 7:33:35 AM   
Moondawggie

Welcome back, Mandrake!

Believe me, the correct spelling is Olangapo, or the 'Po for short. Ask anybody who has made an offering to the virgins sitting in the boats next to the bridge over the S*** River, or was foolish enough to visit Jolo's Nightclub. Or spend a night at the Hotel Marmont. Personally, I preferred the O-Club at Cubi Point...great ice-cold San Miguel beer, and a sunset view of Grande Island to die for!

Ah, the memories...The 'Po, a thousand Marines back from floats in the IO in 1981 and 1983, and all the fun of running sick call when we pulled out of port a week later---it was good to have an near-endless supply of penicillinase-proof Spectinomycin back then...

Angry Swabbies, Hurtin' Marines... Some things never change!

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 1687
Solemn duty - 11/4/2007 6:51:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Olangapo it is.

During the fires a big aerial tanker sprayed fire retradant all over our neghborhood. Naturally, I went out to see and got a fine mist of the stuff all over me. Ever since, I don't get War in the Pacific anymore, but I have been having a blast playing Guitar Hero and I found this cool strategy game called World of Warcraft.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1688
President of Mars - 11/4/2007 8:08:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1689
RE: President of Mars - 11/4/2007 8:09:52 PM   
Terminus

So the fire "retradant" made you 14 years old again?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 1690
Field 22 - 11/4/2007 8:53:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

So the fire "retradant" made you 14 years old again?

Oops...ironic I mistyped "retardant", he?

I am not even sure the electric guitar had been invented when I was 14.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1691
RE: Field 22 - 11/4/2007 9:31:34 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Oops...ironic I mistyped "retardant", he?

I am not even sure the electric guitar had been invented when I was 14.

Unless you are a heckuva lot older than you've been telling us, yes, it was - Les Paul (the alledged inventor) was fooling around with them in the 1920s (possibly as early as 1922). The first solid body electric guitar was designed around 1950 by Leo Fender.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 11/4/2007 9:32:49 PM >

Post #: 1692
RE: Field 22 - 11/7/2007 12:46:16 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Uh, oh. Mandrake up and vanished again.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1693
RE: Field 22 - 11/7/2007 2:53:32 AM   
BrucePowers

I wonder if he went back to Idaho.

Actually, I'll bet it's all those asthmatic kids he has to deal with due to the fires

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1694
RE: Field 22 - 11/7/2007 3:35:55 AM   
bobogoboom

Yeah but when have you ever know a doctor to work overtime

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 1695
The (Rail)road to Mandalay - 11/7/2007 5:36:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I'm still here. I don't think I will be going back to Boise for a while. I am still recovering from the trauma of being locked in a hotel room on the Boise River for almost 24 hrs where I was subjected to a grueling horizontal (mostly) treadmill test. As it was on the second floor, I judged it to be imprudent to try to jump. I was permitted a brief excursion outside where I was made to drink Long Island Iced Teas until even the most banal conversation seemed like an Oscar Wilde dialogue.

Here is the actual message thing I found on the door for the maid.

PS..is "Iced Teas" supposed to be capitalized?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/7/2007 5:45:16 PM >

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 1696
RE: The (Rail)road to Mandalay - 11/7/2007 5:41:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***************09:15, October 4, 1942, 20,000 ft. over the Mandalay, Myitkyina Rail Line, Burma*************

Major Brors surveyed the firepower entrusted to him with pride. Below him, disappearing and then reappearing out of the clouds were almost 50 P-40E's and P-40B's of the 24th FG and 23rd FS. There wasn't a Jap fighter in sight. At a cost in blood and machines, they were winning the air war over Northern Burma. To his North and East, over 150 RAF fighter-bombers and Wellingtons were on their way to pound the Japs below. He allowed himself a smile.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/7/2007 5:44:05 PM >

Post #: 1697
RE: The (Rail)road to Mandalay - 11/7/2007 5:47:38 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I'm still here. I don't think I will be going back to Boise for a while. I am still recovering from the trauma of being locked in a hotel room on the Boise River for almost 24 hrs where I was subjected to a grueling horizontal (mostly) treadmill test. As it was on the second floor, I judged it to be imprudent to try to jump. I was permitted a brief excursion outside where I was made to drink Long Island Iced Teas until even the most banal conversation seemed like an Oscar Wilde dialogue.

Not in general, I think, but Long Island Ice Tea is probably an exception...

Post #: 1698
RE: The (Rail)road to Mandalay - 11/7/2007 6:36:43 PM   
BrucePowers

Might we get an update from Tabpub on the Pacific?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1699
RE: The (Rail)road to Mandalay - 11/7/2007 7:09:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Might we get an update from Tabpub on the Pacific?

Tabpub is under about 20,000 ft of the Pacific in the Bathyscaphe again (he is having his computer repaired).

Except for submarine action off New Britain and New Guinea there is remarkably little combat going on in the Pacific. Of course, that doesn't mean there is nothing happening. We are up to October 20. I am getting behind.

Post #: 1700
RE: The (Rail)road to Mandalay - 11/8/2007 2:05:21 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I applaud youre courage for using the word "banal" given the subject and all.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 1701
Call to action - 11/9/2007 1:50:45 AM   
Cap Mandrake

****************SEAC HQ, Ledo, October 5, 1942*****************

SEAC Intelligence Officer: Sir, RAF reconnaisance aircraft operating over the Mandalay-Myitkyina railway report train traffic with at least 200 military vehicles moving West from Myitkyina.

Gen Pownall: Oh dear God! Do you realize what that means?

SEAC Intelligence Officer: Troop rotation?

Gen Pownall: More like a retreat. It means our plan worked! They are trying to avoid an encirclement by 7th Armoured. They will want to leave a rearguard. This is our opportunity. Instruct what's his name with Burma Corps to hit the rearguard now and hit them hard. HUZZAH! <a number of Indian soldiers attached to the HQ snicker quietly>

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/9/2007 1:51:28 AM >

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1702
Double Rations! Huzzah! - 11/9/2007 5:55:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attacking the retreating Jap forces leaving the Myitkyina perimeter seems to make military sense. The rearguard is revealed to be 18th Division, which must have suffered in its retreat from Yenen well over a month earlier. Camping out in the Burmese jungle for weeks cannot have been very salubrious either. The real question is what to attack with? Only an Indian brigade and the 14th Chindit are recently arrived at Myitkyina, but they are fatigued from the long foot journey from Ledo. Perhaps some of the Colonial troops can participate?

***********His Majesty's 5th Royal Malaria Hospital, Myitkyina, Burma , October 6, 1942********

L. Gen Alexander, Burma Corps, Commanding: <the General is not privately not pleased with what he sees as he enters 3rd ward. To his left a bed rattles on the wood floor from a patient with rigors. He stands upon an upturned bedpan and begins his plea> Men,
we have an historic opportunity to give the Japs a bloody great black eye! The enemy is retreating toward Mandalay with his tail between his legs. Now is the time to hit him! His Majesty needs every able-bodied man to pitch in and drive the littel yellow bastards back to the sea. There will be double rations of quinine for everyone! Who's in this with us?

Pvt. #1: <a wan figure with a sheen on his forehead streps forward> I am sir!

L. Gen Alexander, Burma Corps, Commanding: Splendid!

Pvt. #2: Me too sir.

L. Gen Alexander, Burma Corps, Commanding: There's a fine lad. Anyone else? <a total of 6 vounteer> Sargeant, get these men some proper, laundered uniforms. <he turns to leave, but after 5 or 6 steps, he hears a commotion. The first soldier has tottered over in his weakened state and three others have tripped over the obstacle. Quietly, he says> Oh Dear God.

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1703
RE: Double Rations! Huzzah! - 11/9/2007 5:56:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note: The editors wish to remind the reader that sentences should not be ended with a preoposition <poof>

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/9/2007 5:57:00 PM >

Post #: 1704
The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/9/2007 6:20:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********SEAC Air Transport Command, Ledo, October 6, 1942*********

The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin stands in front of a small backboard, chalk in hand. A group of 20 young RAF C-47 pilots fill the small auditorium. His RAF uniform is meticulously pressed, a rakish upper-crust pencil moustache on his upper lip.

Count Czernin: Men, I'd like to talk today about a mathematical approach to inventory planning. <he points to a chart> Here, for example, is the historical record of plaster of Paris air drops to 7th Armoured over the last month. You will immediately note that their requirements seem almost random, which proves a difficult problem for plaster of Paris inventory control. You will note, I said they seem random. <he turns toward the blackboard and beings writing wildly> Here is a polynomial function which approximates the historical data. I produced this after 3 days of continuous computation time on the digitial calcualtion device I designed with surplus vacuum tubes. <finishes writing 3x^^5 + 4x^^4 -2x^^3......> Now, you may ask, well, that is all fine and grand but that is based on historical data. That is bloody interesting but what have we gained? <nervous laughter in response to the Count's broad grin..the Count savors the moment but does note one pilot in the back with a deeply furrowed brow. He continues> Ahhh....but what if we could find future inflection points in the curve? It is a rate of change problem, you see.

Pilot #1: <raises hand excitedly. The Count nods in his direction> Sir, the first derivative, sir!

Count Czernin: Yes, yes, yes! And the inflection points? work with me. <suddenly there is a loud popping sound from the back of the room followed by a shower of brain and bone and scalp. The head of the pilot with the furrowed brow has literaly exploded from within> Oh blast! I do wish they wouldn't send us public school recruits.

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1705
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/9/2007 6:24:01 PM   
Terminus

Post #: 1706
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/9/2007 6:41:52 PM   
BrucePowers

Hey, wait a minute! I went to a public school. Oh, wait maybe I should not have said that

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1707
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/9/2007 7:56:27 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Hey, wait a minute! I went to a public school. Oh, wait maybe I should not have said that

British Public School = Private school... one of the great mysteries of the English language...

Post #: 1708
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/10/2007 1:01:17 AM   
VSWG

What's a "preoposition"?  Something that happens before an antagonism?  

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1709
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/10/2007 1:28:49 AM   
Onime No Kyo

That wasnt even a "touche"....

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 1710
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Shots Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI