Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Struggle for India

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Struggle for India Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 3:55:30 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
That is excessively pessimistic, I'd say. He has barely gotten on the ground on Ceylon. He still has many ops in front of him before India could be considered to be in the bag. Unless of course, he is just much better at WitP than you are....

Have you read the AAR? Singapore and Java are already gone. That means he has 7 divisions plus tons of other troops from Singapore and then whatever troops he wants to bring from Java already on the way to India. Plus he already landed 20,000+ troops on Ceylon.

So within a week or so, Japan will have in excess of 6 divisions landed on the mainland of India. He’ll only be limited by what his naval lift capacity is, if he can bring more than 6 divisions I bet he will.

There is absolutely no way the allies can make a fight of it in India against this kind of Japanese force in Jan. 42. If it were March 42, I’d say it would still be almost impossible, but Jan. 42, forget it, no chance. It takes weeks to march to Karachi from northeastern India, if G.H. doesn't react now, it'll be too late if Japan sails up the west coast and lands at bombay.

He can make a redoubt defense at Karachi and probably do quite well, but if he tries to defend the entire country, he’ll face Japanese columns of 2-3 divisions plus other troops zooming along each rail line, and he’ll swiftly be outflanked and isolated.

Unless you know of a way to magically create another 4 allied divisions in India right now, I’d love to hear your plan for defending the entire country with just four 1/3rd strength divisions (basically each weaker than a brigade right now) and 7 brigades. All of which are very low experienced units as well. I doubt any of his armor units have more than 5 tanks in them right now.

Jim

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 181
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 4:18:51 PM   
tsimmonds

It is always possible for an IJ player to skewer himself. If after he he takes Ceylon, he carefully proceeds to make successful landings in sensible locations, then you give up and head for the hills. But in the meantime I always look for ways to slow my opponent down and make him pay for his gains.

So sue me

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 182
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 8:20:17 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/16/42

Tricomale finally fell. He brought in 2 divisions, 2 eng regiments and 2 Arty units...nearly 1000 AVs...no way to hold Cylon. Now at Tricomale there are already hordes of enemy planes.Probably fighters for the moment, as the AF is still at level 3..but very soon this damned place will be full of betties and nells...gotta move my ships more carefully from now on.
However, today, despite the loss of Tricomale, wasn't a totally bad day.
Our subs finally scored some good hits. But the price is high: Truant is almost sunk and another ducth sub is ready to go beneath the waves...
However we're starting to hit back,and that's a good thing. A jap sub got some hits in 300 miles far from Bombay and another one is hit by my air ASW forces...not bad. These bastards should pay a bit
Trollelite complained about the inefficiency of his ASW forces and about how easy is to play as allies...he's willing to turn allied sub doctrine on if he could (that's what he said)...well, i really think he's exagerating here. His subs has sunk more than 30 ships of mine till now...if i score some lucky hits doesn't sound unfair imho.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 14,26

Japanese Ships
CL Kitakami, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *hope she sinks fast but Tricomale is just 1 hex away and it's level 9 port*
DD Kasumi
DD Tanikaze
DD Hamakaze
DD Urakaze
DD Shiranuhi

Allied Ships
SS Truant

You're lost Truant, but you've done a good job!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 12,12

Japanese Ships
SS I-4, hits 2

Allied Ships
MSW Cromarty
MSW Cromer
MSW Lismore
SC Hollyhock
SC Aster
SC Nigella

ASW attack at 14,26

Japanese Ships
DD Yuzuki
DD Kikuzuki
DD Uzuki
DD Arare
DD Minegumo

Allied Ships
SS Truant, hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Sub attack near Trincomalee at 13,25

Japanese Ships
AK Fujikawa Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Buenos Aires Maru
AP Mikage Maru #2
PC Ch 8
PG Fukui Maru, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KXVI

Sub attack at 15,28

Japanese Ships
AP Kasui Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Tatsumiya Maru

Allied Ships
SS KXIII

Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported

Good boy!!!
Ground combat at Trincomalee

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 40681 troops, 76 guns, 82 vehicles, Assault Value = 943

Defending force 4230 troops, 40 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese max assault: 1266 - adjusted assault: 584

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 116 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Trincomalee base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
109 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
414 casualties reported
Guns lost 11
Vehicles lost 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Attachment (1)

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 183
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 10:07:41 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/17/42

I tried to bomb with a single group (12 planes) of B-17 the port of Tricomale from 33,000 ft... Trollelite calls it gamey, so no more max ceiling.
Another thing he complained about and called gamey is to place single ship TFs.
I tend not to exploit the system, but i tend also to use "common sense"...all these HRs are a pain, just because you have to read them every time you play a turn...

However, more than 400 planes are already based at Tricomale...at least 250 fighters...better to call back my air forces...no way to stand against these numbers.
We've sunk 1 jap sub and managed to damage another one...retribution!

ASW attack near Trincomalee  at 13,25

Japanese Ships
AO Shinkoku Maru
PG Eiko Maru
PG Eifuku Maru
DD Akebono
DD Sagiri
DD Ayanami
DD Shikinami
DD Uranami

Allied Ships
SS KXIII, hits 5,  on fire

Day Air attack on Trincomalee , at 13,25

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 121
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 17

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 4

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AP Hie Maru, Bomb hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 36600 feet
Day Air attack on Colombo , at 11,25

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 87
B5N2 Kate x 74

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 5
P-40B Tomahawk x 4
P-40E Warhawk x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 5 destroyed, 31 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 5 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 5 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 36

The AVG 1st and the other 2 fighter groups, already badly damaged and fatigued, could not stand a single fight against these monster-numbers...

ASW attack at 10,17 (Always west of Bombay...seems that he's looking for the RN)

Japanese Ships
SS I-3, hits 6

Allied Ships
DD Panther
DD Paladin
DD Nizam
DD Express
DD Vampire
DD Tenedos

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 184
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 11:08:30 PM   
cantona2

Interesting that he doesnt find those excessive numbers of aircraft in one base 'gamey'. Surely an aircraft can operate at any hieght it was desgined to. I know about the game mechanics and 4E's below a certain height, but at high altitude. Is it gamey because his Zeroes cant get up there, well good for the bombers, Zeroes can enough benefits as it is. Is this max altitude regarded as gamey by all players or particular to your opponent?

but as regards single ship TF's, how can they be considered gamey when convoys scattered when they came under air attack. I wouldnt consider single ship TF's as gamey in any sense.

That said GH, im keeping a close eye on your strategy in case i should need to defend the Jewel in the Crown in my game

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Post #: 185
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 11:42:29 PM   
jumper

Hi,
you shoudl ask him if he will honour his own rules and will not use Zeke-Kamikaze flying above your CAP later in the game. Not that I´m expecting you will get so far as your oponent seems as a guy who really hates when everything is not going exactly according to his plan and you can expect just more and more whinning as his losses will grow.. And once he will suffer some really serious defeat, he will quit.. I´m really curious on his reaction if you will succeed in Gilberts/Marshalls. What is the situation there?

BTW I have a feeling that if your subs will achieve some more hits, they will be add on the "gamey list" too..

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 186
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 12:20:36 AM   
Snip

Hi Mate !

Looks like we are playing the same chap !
As far as I can see, your best bet is taking the inniative where he does not expect it.
Go for his lines of communication in the Pacific.

Just an idea.

As to the chap himself: He does have some issues expressing himself properly. Neither his "English" nor his "German" are very good. My best guess is, he is a guy from China - or thereabouts - living as a student in Germany.
Give him some lee way.

On a tactical level, he is quite clever.

Cheers

< Message edited by Snip -- 11/17/2007 12:25:54 AM >

(in reply to jumper)
Post #: 187
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 12:24:36 AM   
Mistmatz

I wouldn't call it gamey to operate at max ceiling, but it's ridiculous those planes hit an AP from that height. Probably it was already on fire or something which makes it basically a magnet for enemy aircraft but still very lucky hit.

(in reply to jumper)
Post #: 188
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 12:37:32 AM   
hawker

Hi General,

1. B-17 on 33000 IS NOT gamey and you should use it,japanese had counter measures for that. He can just put Oscars on their max ceiling and those early war B-17 pilots will disperse and go home.

2. One ship TF IS gamey,someone say something about dispersion of convoy. Yeah,just like PQ-17,they also dispersed but Luftwaffe sunks most of ship in "dispersed" convoy.
In WITP game engine DONT now term of dispersion of convoy and KB or LBA will launch full strike on single ship instead on multiple targets. So,one ship TF is GAMEY.

Fortess fortuna iuvat

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 189
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 12:43:41 AM   
String

What others have said. If he calls using one of the great advantages of B17 gamey then tell him to stuff it. Seriously. Yes it was unbelievably lucky that they managed to hit a ship from that height, but it happens every now and then, expect your next 20 attacks to achieve nothing.

1 ship TF's. Against air attacks they are great, but your opponent should know that against surface combat TF's they are the worst possible option. A CL and a few DD's would devastate all of those TF's and it shouldn't be hard to achieve a mid ocean intercept vs such slow targets.

edit: Oh and the ships in PQ-17 were sunk over several days. Direct air attacks on 1 ship TF's over several days and you sink most of them also.

AND!

LBA strikes are divided between 1 ship TF's in WITP. Not always but sometimes they are. You don't hear the japanese commander screaming "Gamey" after they sank the poor old Neosho in the coral sea..

< Message edited by String -- 11/17/2007 12:46:46 AM >

(in reply to hawker)
Post #: 190
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:07:04 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Ok guys, let me explain.
5 ships anchored alone in Colombo harbour cannot be called gamey Imho. I did not put 50 single ship TFs in a single hex. To supply front-line bases i tend to use lonely ships to be sure that the DL remains quite low.
However, doesn't matter much. B-17 below 30,000 ft. won't change the course of the war and i usually never do it just because it's not so effective as a tactic.

Anyway, in the Marshalls, to answer at your question, the situation is still the same. No fighters or bombers spotted at kwalajein, nor at Maloep. Just some aux planes. However, only a base force at Maloep, while 11 units for 33.000 men at Kwalajein...quite a lot! We'll need to bomb back to stoneage the place before landing in...4 divisions and 2 brigades will be used for this operation (i'm already putting togheder the transport fleet...is HUGE!)
Still a month to come however....

(in reply to String)
Post #: 191
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:16:34 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

So for the operation in the Marshalls i'm committing:

Infantry: 24th,25th, 2nd USMC and Americal Divisions (as soon as the latest will arrive); 1 RCT and 1 NZ Bde.
Eng: 2 US Combat Eng units, 2 base forces, 2 normal eng units
Arty: 5 arty regiments
AA: 4 AA units
Tank: 1 US Tank regiment

These troops should be able to put an important foot hold in the marshalls and, with the US Air force and USN, should be able to isolate Kwalajein and so threating the whole southern japanese perimeter

Post #: 192
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:20:18 AM   
Mistmatz

What is your plan to supply Maloep when KB comes back?
With his foothold in India getting stronger he might not need KB there unless he wants to invade indian west coast.

Post #: 193
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:23:51 AM   
Snip

Well GH,

I am not sure, but the way I see this is simple.
Troll got you by the balls - in India. So what.

He keeps calling each an every of your moves a "foul". So what.
You have HR ? Tell him - and tell the forum you did so - that HR are for the duration.

From my end it works with him.

Well, if you have issues with attacking the Marshalls - take the short cut.
Go for the Marianas - If you have the carriers - and scare him ****less.

If you are not prepared for contingencies. Well - different story.
Start a new game - AI perhaps ?

Cheers

Post #: 194
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:25:35 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

What is your plan to supply Maloep when KB comes back?
With his foothold in India getting stronger he might not need KB there unless he wants to invade indian west coast.

With 4 US CVs around and maybe more 250 fighter and bombers at Maloaep, i really hope he comes down with the KB... No, seriously, if he comes back with the KB everything changes obviously. The trick will be to take Maloap before KB is around. With Maloap in my hands, my CVs around, i really think i can take my chances. If these timings are satisfied, the operation will have to be changed.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 195
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:29:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snip

If you are not prepared for contingencies. Well - different story.
Start a new game - AI perhaps ?

Hi Snip.
What do you mean exactly? i'm not a native english speaker, so please explain this sentence better.
Thx.

(in reply to Snip)
Post #: 196
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:30:08 AM   
cantona2

GH, think Snip is being sarcastic in a nice way

My offer for a Rhs game is still on the table once your agenda clears up.

Post #: 197
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 1:49:52 AM   
ctangus

Any plans of taking Wotje and/or Majuro in addition to Maleolap? If he does counter-attack strongly it might be nice to have an additional offensive airfield or two. IIRC Wotje starts at size 3 & Majuro can quickly be built to size 2. And they're also probably not heavily defended.

Post #: 198
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 2:08:37 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

Any plans of taking Wotje and/or Majuro in addition to Maleolap? If he does counter-attack strongly it might be nice to have an additional offensive airfield or two. IIRC Wotje starts at size 3 & Majuro can quickly be built to size 2. And they're also probably not heavily defended.

Yes, it will be surely interesting. As soon as Wake will arrive at level 4 AF we'll start softing the targets with the 4Es and we'll see how he'll react.
The Mariannas is another interesting option...even if very risky...

Cantona2, yes, in December i'll be glad to start an RHS game.

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 199
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 2:21:51 AM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner

Anyway, in the Marshalls, to answer at your question, the situation is still the same. No fighters or bombers spotted at kwalajein, nor at Maloep. Just some aux planes. However, only a base force at Maloep, while 11 units for 33.000 men at Kwalajein...quite a lot! We'll need to bomb back to stoneage the place before landing in...4 divisions and 2 brigades will be used for this operation (i'm already putting togheder the transport fleet...is HUGE!)
Still a month to come however....

If there is a static device (load cost 9999) at Kwajalein this could explain the high number of men identified. And many Axis players happily divide units and employ unit fragments to confuse Allied sigint/intelligence in the game.

Post #: 200
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 3:02:11 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner
I tried to bomb with a single group (12 planes) of B-17 the port of Tricomale from 33,000 ft... Trollelite calls it gamey, so no more max ceiling.

Unbelievable, this guy takes the entire SRA and Malaya via the gamey warp move exploit and he has the audacity to say using 4E bombers within their historical performance limits is gamey. LOL I can’t believe this guy.

No way should you cave on this point G.H., early war Japanese fighters could not intercept allied 4E bombers at high altitudes, that is factual and in no way an exploit.

Basically what he’s gotten you to agree to is to let him destroy your few heavy bombers. Allied heavies cannot stand the morale hits caused in the opening months of the game by air to air hits/losses, so they will plummet into the 20’s and 30’s and the ones that survive air to air will be absolutely useless.

Use them at high altitudes as I did in my game until they get their morale into the high 70’s. Then they might have a chance to do something at lower altitudes. Until they have decent fighter escorts, the allied heavies cannot stand up to the loses they will suffer, because in this mod there are very few replacements.

With his whining he’s gotten you to agree to negate the effectiveness of your 4E bombers for him. The only allied strength in the air model is now a non-issue in your game, unless you stand by your guns and tell him to piss off.

Jim

Post #: 201
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 3:57:14 AM   
eloso

quote:

ORIGINAL: jumper

Hi,
you shoudl ask him if he will honour his own rules and will not use Zeke-Kamikaze flying above your CAP later in the game.

There is a huge difference in level bombing above the effective ceiling of CAP and using Kamikaze above this level. The bombers deliver their ordinance from the level they are set whereas the Kamikaze must fly down to sea level to achieve results. Currently, the engine doesn't recognize the latter of the two.

IMO it isn't gamey to bomb from high altitude. It is up to your opponent to develop the fighters to combat this threat.

(in reply to jumper)
Post #: 202
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 5:52:13 AM   
racndoc

General Hoepner.....

Hey..... at least controversy can be a good thing....your thread is probably the most widely read thread on the forum now!

I almost want to apologize to you for my previous advice now....when I gave it Japan had neither conquered Singapore or Java. My advice was based on a March-May 1942 India invasion time frame.....I had no idea that you would be under assault in India in early Jan. 1942.

I re-read your entire thread and was astonished by the house rules.

To wit:

" 10. Except initial chinese exp. force, only 2 other chinese corps could be changed to southest asia command and be able to fight in burma and india. There is no restriction to support however."

I've never seen ANY house rule like this before in any game, PERIOD. As far as Im concerned, if you pay the PPs for activation you can do whatever you please.

Then there was this FURTHER STIPULATION......" Those 2 corps should be announced." If this isnt a declaration of war on India I dont what is.

Your opponent obviously tailored the house rules rules to his strategy.

Dont know what to tell you about India now except maybe a final redoubt in Karachi with everything you can muster.

In regards to your response on an attack on India you mentioned 33,000 troops on Kwajalein....I doubt if there are evem one quarter of these troops in the entire Marianas. Why mess with Kwajalein....get all your seabees and build up Eniwetok and capture Maloelap. Just think if you could get 100k-200k supply into the PI.

My only other thought on this is in regards to the naval warfare. On 1/12/42 you mentioned that Japan was flying 266 fighters on CAP over KB.
Well, KB gives you 158 fighters. Ryuho, Zuiho, Hosho and Taiyo take that up to 241 fighters. That means your opponent probably swapped out a Val group for another A6M2 daitai....dont know if you had any house rules on this but I think that its in the dreaded "gamey" mode.

Obviously your opponent has created a super 'Death Star". Your only response is to evacuate the 2 RN CVs to Australia if still possible and form them up with the USN CVs for the deciding naval battle of the war.

Good luck

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 11/17/2007 5:58:22 AM >

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 203
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 9:43:38 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Mates, let's put a-part the complaints.It was not my intention to start a fight against Trollelite, also because he cannot say his word in this thread so it's not correct to "speak beyond his shoulders" (i do not know if this way of saying makes any sense to you, hope so). It was my mistake to talk about what he says to me and put it here. Sorry.
Let's go back to the war.

The last turn our light bombers on Naval search in India were simply slaughtered by his CAP. 46 planes lost in A2A fights!!!!! They were all in naval search missions...13 hudsons, 4 Catalinas, 3 ducth patrol boat, then Martins,Bostons, Albacores...every single light bomber type has been shot down....it's quite depressing.
I tried to set an higher altitude and see what happens.
I'm starting to fear his paras in India now. I'm seizing my rear area bases with minor units, in order to keep open the way towards Delhi and Karachi, but with the range of some IJNAF transport planes it's quite an impossible task!
The RN will be using the "fleet in being" approach.I'll follow your suggestions and won't try any suicide attacks (also because now it's already too late).
Finally his subs are starting to pay a price for their aggressiveness. Many are damaged and many more are getting sunk.
While my subs are doing a fair job. Problem is that the KB in the area has damaged a lot of them and those who are not already sunk are struggling for their life trying to reach safe ports before going down...
The Indian situation looks really bad. I'll try to fight a mobile defence, but it won't be easy. I have to face simply too many men and in India, with flat terrain and so many railroads, every redoubt i'd try to make will be easily flanked and sorrounded.

For what concerns the Marshalls,yes Kwalajein at the beginning won't be the target. The important thing is to suppress its airfield before my ships come into action. I'll need some good numbers of 4Es from Wake to do the job. Won't be so easy so early in the war, as you know. Very few 4Es at disposal, no long range fighters to escort them....Anyway, the plan remains more or less the same. Siezing Tarawa first; Maloap ASAP, then the other minor islands in the area, so isolating Kwalajein.
But however, the most important thing is to remain flexible. I have to consider that he can bring here his assets (KB or land based air units) and these can transform the whole operation into a disaster.

At the same time most of Aus assets are moving towards Darwin. Wanna start Asap a bombing campaign in souther DEI. Timor and Ambonia must be reduced to pieces. If he wants to use a massive air force in India he must leave some other theatres uncovered...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gen.Hoepner -- 11/17/2007 9:44:03 AM >

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 204
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 9:46:57 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

One more thing: in China things should start to move again the next week. Our men are arriving into planned positions.Let's see if i can cause him some more headhaces....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 205
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 11:59:46 AM   
cantona2

Good luck GH, for once us AFB's are behind you

Post #: 206
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 12:28:44 PM   
String

I support the ideas of taking multiple bases in the marshalls. With your BB's intact you should be able to protect the place from naval bombardments while you stack the airbases skyhigh with LBA.

Be sure to bring in your marine F4F squadrons as they have the best replacement rates for the early allied fighters.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 207
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/17/2007 12:46:56 PM   
Nemo121

Don't let him talk you out of using your B-17s at high altitude. They could fly that high and their accuracy is reduced when flying that high. The game models it well. In my game vs Jagdfluger he has responded to this by using Ki-43 Is to outpost likely points of attack and those Ki-43s can actually get interceptions.

Overall though he has just made enough rules in his favour that whether he wins or not it isn't going to be a testament to his skill - which is a pity. This game isn't about being fair to either side or both sides. It is about giving players the opportunity to show their strategic and operational abilities in a situation where skill actually impacts on the result.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 208
LANDINGS IN THE SUB-CONTINENT!!! - 11/18/2007 9:03:35 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/18/42

Here we are... he's already landed at Mannarguti...the invasion of India has begun!
A very tiny force. a Naval garrison unit. won't take the beach with it.However this means he's testing the ground to see what he has to face. Now i have to do slow him. The bigger risk is to place all my eggs in the same basket and get caught by his sallies...have to distribute well my air forces. He has 500 planes at Tricomale (level 3). 200 bombers and nearly 300 fighters, plus the KB...a HUGE force...simply too much to handle.
My losses, even today, were great for those units on naval search. Still do not have the number but the operational report says it clearly: it's even risky to fly my bombers at 26000 fts on naval search...
3 of his subs were hit today by my bombers, but with a level 9 port so close i doubt many of them will sink...
He's running fast, too fast. With this pace by the end of Jan he can be at the very gates of Karachi....it's amazing the pace he's keeping.
Today over Colombo the sun was obscurated by hundreds japanese planes that brought death over the sieged city, already damned to death.

Day Air attack on Colombo , at 11,25

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 39
Ki-21-II Sally x 184
Ki-49 Helen x 49

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 24 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Tomahawk: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Albacore: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 98

TF 61 encounters mine field at Mannargudi (15,22)

TF 61 troops unloading over beach at Mannargudi, 15,22

Japanese Ships
PG Tamo Maru #6

Coastal Guns at Mannargudi, 15,22, firing at TF 61
Japanese ground losses:
74 casualties reported

Ground combat at Mannargudi

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 4536 troops, 40 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 196

Defending force 605 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10

Japanese ground losses:
82 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Attachment (1)

Post #: 209
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Struggle for India Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI