Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sound slowing the PC down through a turn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Sound slowing the PC down through a turn Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sound slowing the PC down through a turn - 9/2/2004 4:22:07 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I am one of those whining modem download pains so a few questions ofr those that have gone through the pain. My issue was not with R2D2 noises or tearing metal. Mine is with degradation of game speed. If I use the sounds it take 2.5 times longer to watch a combat summary and then, within the game scrolling and such is diabolically slow. Has this change made any differences to that - has anyone else actually got this problem?

Wobbly, sound cards have a CPU loading effect, the better the sound card, the lower this loading. As this loading is taking time away from what can be used to process and crunch the numbers, it will affect your performance. The amount of the impact is based on (a) quality of the card and (b) bit density of the sounds.

In you case, even though the 22k quality is nowhere near as good, you are faced with a choice between speed and quality. Coupled with the length of time it takes to download, you might want to give it a try as rough sound is better then no sound and if it doesn't work to your liking, you can just rename the directory back to nosound.

(in reply to wobbly)
Post #: 61
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 5:00:39 PM   
Marc_Mitscher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc_Mitscher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

I tried the 44hz version more fully last night. The distortion is now gone but two new problems have cropped up: 1) an intermittent clicking noise is heard in the background; and 2) the music skips every once and a while. So far the stock sounds are the only ones I can play with no problems.

The stock sounds are a mix of 22, 44, and higher. Shifting them all to 44 has actually increased the load on your system. Sounds like you are buckling under the strain now.

I can try a 1:1 mapping on density and see what you end up with, but what you are saying is pretty much what I expect.

Sound support is usually the cheapest part of most computers. This is generally one of those *you get what you pay for* cases with most systems having OEM Soundblaster Basic type cards or onboard chipset sound (even worse).

my system is a P4 3.0 GHZ , Asus P4P800 mb, 1 G DDR 400 memory, Geforce FX5900, Windows XP pro and a Hercules Game theater 7.1 sound card. WITP should not be straining my system, although it might be time to upgrade my sound card.

After Mr.Frag's comment that the issue might be with my system, I did some fiddling around. It turned out the problem was in my sound card's control panel. I had bumped up the volume to 100% some time back to test out a pair of headphones. I reduced the volume to 70%, increased the speaker's volume and voila! problem solved. The 44hz sound pack rocks!

This is off topic, but would replacing my current sound card with a Audigy 2 ZS make an appreciable difference.

(in reply to Marc_Mitscher)
Post #: 62
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 5:26:21 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

After Mr.Frag's comment that the issue might be with my system, I did some fiddling around. It turned out the problem was in my sound card's control panel. I had bumped up the volume to 100% some time back to test out a pair of headphones. I reduced the volume to 70%, increased the speaker's volume and voila! problem solved. The 44hz sound pack rocks!

This is off topic, but would replacing my current sound card with a Audigy 2 ZS make an appreciable difference.

Not off topic at all. One of the things I have learned from the school of hard knocks ... when installing sound cards, choose the *DRIVER ONLY* option as all the tons of other crap they bundle in with these toys generally results in other problems and they really only ever work on driver fixes. Looked up your card specs ... don't know that the ZS would make any real difference, but clean drivers with all the junk removed might help.

So it sounds like your card was being over driven at the amp level ... interesting ... I break windows at 100% volumn, but I have rather expensive powered speakers and use my machine as my stereo

Post #: 63
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 5:32:00 PM   
maikarant

The 44 khz patch also worked perfectly so far. But I just played two turns, and with a bit of luck the standard 1.21 patched version could do that, too. But I don't have any complaints about sound quality.

Post #: 64
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 6:15:47 PM   
Marc_Mitscher

quote:

quote:

Not off topic at all. One of the things I have learned from the school of hard knocks ... when installing sound cards, choose the *DRIVER ONLY* option as all the tons of other crap they bundle in with these toys generally results in other problems and they really only ever work on driver fixes. Looked up your card specs ... don't know that the ZS would make any real difference, but clean drivers with all the junk removed might help.

So it sounds like your card was being over driven at the amp level ... interesting ... I break windows at 100% volumn, but I have rather expensive powered speakers and use my machine as my stereo

Thanks, I will give it a try to see if it makes a difference.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 65
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 6:58:57 PM   
2Stepper

I guess now that I've installed the sound patch I have one question. Where to put the system sound in the program? I have everything set to 3 with the exception of music volume which is at a 2. The bomb volume has quieted a good deal. I DO however still get some "ticking" sounds on the beach landings and occasionally what sounds like a spark sound when lots is going on. Theres so many SFX files playing at once its difficult to determine which...

All that said, my primary "annoyance" is quelled with the improved sounds for the bombs. I still hope there's sort of a "final dustup" of the sound setup for the game, but this'll do nicely until then. Thanks Frag for the hard work.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

Post #: 66
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 7:17:57 PM   
Mr.Frag

2S, try reducing your Windows system volume overall and Raise the In game volume controls to a higher level to make up for it ...

I set them all to 5 in game, then adjust my Windows volume to be acceptable. The crackle/hiss/pop type stuff is generally the sound card being overdriven.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 67
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 8:44:30 PM   
2Stepper

quote:

I set them all to 5 in game, then adjust my Windows volume to be acceptable. The crackle/hiss/pop type stuff is generally the sound card being overdriven.

"Overdriven" or overworked? Either way I can certainly give it a go. Hadn't really noted such things with other programs, but then it might be the sound format is sensitive. I think I still have my wav volume set to 50% but the overall system volume is still set to max.

Will muck about with it a bit and report back anything of note.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 68
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 8:47:55 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

quote:

"Overdriven" or overworked? Either way I can certainly give it a go. Hadn't really noted such things with other programs, but then it might be the sound format is sensitive. I think I still have my wav volume set to 50% but the overall system volume is still set to max.

Will muck about with it a bit and report back anything of note.

Over-driven is normally crackle and pop ... Over-worked is skipping ... but those are about a vague as one can get with sound problems ... You can also play with the slider on the DXDIAG sound page and see how differing levels of hardware abstraction help ... *just* remember, it takes a reboot to pick up those slider changes in DXDIAG.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 69
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/2/2004 11:05:55 PM   
Grotius

Wobbly, I never had any trouble with sounds slowing down the game, and I still don't with the 44 patch. I have no idea whether it helps or not. Did you try the 22 patch? That might help you, since the files are smaller.

(in reply to v.Manstein)
Post #: 70
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/4/2004 4:12:29 AM   
Bombur

quote:

All the sounds have been resampled and reduced to 22 kHz, Stereo in Windows Media Audio format instead of relying of the million and one different mp3 codex's out there. On a side none, this should also help speed up things for borderline computers as it is much easier to handle a 22 kHz tack vs a 192 kHz track.

If you are *still* having problems after this, I suggest you go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

And download the correct latest version for your operating systems. (top two links)

-It finally worked to me. Thank you Mr. Frag

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 71
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/4/2004 5:43:19 PM   
Wilhammer

Unfortunately, despite this new patch, I still get CTDs.

Recap: I have not experienced distorted sounds in the past, just CTDs corrected by changing SOUND directory name to NOSOUND.

I applied the patch my current installation after renaming the dir back to SOUND.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card.

--------------------------

Windows Media Player 10 is out; I'll see if that, perchance, helps.

< Message edited by Wilhammer -- 9/4/2004 10:47:19 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 72
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/4/2004 11:42:44 PM   
donkuchi19

I played the first week of April 1942 with the 22khz patch with no problems. I played about the next 5 days with the 44khz patch and had a CTD. I am updated to 1.21.

I was checking future ship arrivals. I had closed out all of the filters and then reopened them from CV and BB down to DD. I then sorted them by arrival time. When I clicked the back button, I got a black screen. It stayed there about 1 min then I got the Send Error Report message. It then went to Desktop.

I just thought you might want to know.

Thanks.

Post #: 73
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/4/2004 11:46:07 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I was checking future ship arrivals. I had closed out all of the filters and then reopened them from CV and BB down to DD. I then sorted them by arrival time. When I clicked the back button, I got a black screen. It stayed there about 1 min then I got the Send Error Report message. It then went to Desktop.

That one sounds more like a bug coming from the Ship Reports lists, not the sound. That one comes and goes, been hunting it forever ... It never happens twice in a row (ie: you can load your turn right back up and be fine).

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 74
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/4/2004 11:47:33 PM   
donkuchi19

Thank you Mr. Frag. As always very quick response.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 75
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/5/2004 9:12:25 PM   
donkuchi19

Hi again,

I may have a repeatable save for you on the back button bug. I just tried to restart the autosave of the crash noted above. It did the exact same thing again. Two times in a row.

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 76
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/5/2004 9:17:00 PM   
Mr.Frag

A repeatable save????

OMG!!!!

email it!

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 77
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/5/2004 9:30:01 PM   
donkuchi19

It is sent. I hope it helps.

Don

BTW: The only thing I think I forgot to send is that I am playing as the Allies.

< Message edited by donkuchi -- 9/5/2004 2:44:55 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 78
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/22/2004 12:49:12 AM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Nothing comes up when I right and click and try to save on the 44 hertz link for the sound patch. My PC definitely needs it (Alienware, but it crashes during turn phase like everyone else's). Is this link down? I asked support@matrixgames.com but didnt hear back. thanks...Lee

Post #: 79
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/22/2004 12:59:59 AM   
Mr.Frag

nope, working fine right now. Just checked it.

Try like this ... left click this link

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/WarInThePacific/WarInThePacificSoundPatch44.exe

< Message edited by Mr.Frag -- 9/21/2004 6:01:42 PM >

(in reply to leehunt27@bloomberg.net)
Post #: 80
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/22/2004 2:07:07 AM   
greg_slith

Well, I updated my sound/video drivers, added DirectX 9c and tried the 44khz patch and...same ol', same ol. Will try the 22 khz patch next.

Post #: 81
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/22/2004 2:48:59 AM   
Mr.Frag

Are you going to post a dxdiag report? might save you some headaches as the problem could be something other then your sound.

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 82
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/22/2004 4:15:55 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

sorry Erik it was my FTP settings on Norton. the link does work :)

Post #: 83
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 9/22/2004 9:55:48 PM   
greg_slith

As soon as I can figure out how to do it. My small, woodland critter sized brain gets severely taxed by this fancy stuff.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 84
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 10/30/2004 10:13:47 PM   
EUBanana

Now patched to 1.21, tried out both sound patches, neither of them work. In fact, I think it was more stable unpatched, it locks up almost immediately in its current state, before I could at least get through a turn.

It's definitely the sound, as when I rename the sound directory so there is no sound, it works fine.

I'm gonna download the latest updates from Microsoft and see if that fixes it now.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 85
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read) - 7/22/2005 1:34:57 PM   
BigDuke66

After a long time I started playing WitP again. I installed all patches but did forget the Soundpatch.
Is it a problem to lay the soundpatch over a 1.6 version?
Does the patch ONLY replace sounds?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 86
Interim SOUND PATCH??? - 12/3/2007 12:16:31 AM   
est1895

Hello. Is the link still active? If not where is it please? I'm trying to download the 44 mhtz file.

Thank you for your time

est1895

Post #: 87
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH??? - 12/3/2007 12:29:07 AM   
Terminus

You don't need it any more, and it's long since been removed from the server. The INTERIM patch is nearly four years old...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to est1895)
Post #: 88
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH??? - 12/3/2007 2:40:13 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You don't need it any more, and it's long since been removed from the server. The INTERIM patch is nearly four years old...

We really need to clean this up...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 89
RE: Interim SOUND PATCH??? - 12/3/2007 2:49:20 AM   
est1895

Sorry guys. I just have this sound problem that I can't figure out!!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Sound slowing the PC down through a turn Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI