Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 4:55:45 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: EnricoR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Send some of your ships to the huge West Coast ports for repair.

Thats what I normally do when things get too crowded and am about to do that in my PBEM game.

My question though is exactly how the expansion will allow you to prioritize repairs?

Pretty simple, actually. Let's say you have five damaged ships at Pearl Harbor. You put them into the repair queue, and then you'll have them set up one beneath the other, like in a normal ship list. Then you just click on the one you want to move to the top, and hey presto! You can arrange them just as you want, and choose any of the four different repair types, provided the port in question supports them all.

What are those different repair types?

Crew -> Ship's own crew does everything
Tender-assisted -> AR's and such
Pierside -> Ship's tied up to the pier, and dockworkers can come aboard
Shipyard -> Ship's in dock

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to EnricoR)
Post #: 31
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 4:58:01 PM   
drw61

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thats what I normally do when things get too crowded and am about to do that in my PBEM game.

My question though is exactly how the expansion will allow you to prioritize repairs?

Pretty simple, actually. Let's say you have five damaged ships at Pearl Harbor. You put them into the repair queue, and then you'll have them set up one beneath the other, like in a normal ship list. Then you just click on the one you want to move to the top, and hey presto! You can arrange them just as you want, and choose any of the four different repair types, provided the port in question supports them all.

Perfect!

Terminus, you are going to be very busy the next couple of days just answering questions from all of us giddy WitP AE fans, have fun.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 32
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 4:58:17 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

Naval bombardment? We all know, and hate, the fact that you can run BBs back and forth between bases and targets and generally blast an enemy base into oblivion with your BBs.

1) Will there be some sort of limit on where a BB (or indeed any capital ship) can resupply ammunition? It is rather ludicrous to think that a tiny island in the middle of the pacific should happen to have thousands of 16 inch shells just laying there waiting for a BB to come by and reload. Can we make "capital ship ammo" something scarce, like torpedos now perhaps...that can only be reloaded in the presence of an AE, or at a level 6 port?

2) Will shore bombardment be changed?

1) Ship resupply is being refurbished for increased realism.

2) Yes, shore bombardment has been (and is being) reworked, to hopefully make it a bit more realistic. The day of the nuclear shore bombardment is over and done with.

Plus, armed landing craft now work, and we're using the shore bombardment screen.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 33
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:00:18 PM   
Dixie

1)  Does shifting ships between HQs cost PPs?
2)  How does the game determine which command 'area' a ship is operating in?
3)  Are there any effexts for ships operating outside of their assigned fleets?
4)  Will HMS Belfast make it into the game this time?   This also applies to any other ships with a class in the db but no ships appearing...
5)  Possibly an aircraft type question, but will maintainence carriers (i.e. HMS Unicorn) be featured?
6)  Has the respawn been removed/changed?  At least for the RAN?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to EnricoR)
Post #: 34
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:01:15 PM   
Speedysteve

Cool. So the LCI(G) will now have uses!

How about Sub combat (you know how much I love them) will they only fire a fish ort2 at some ships rather than a full 4/6 tubes worth?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 35
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:02:16 PM   
Hortlund

What about Japanese (and allied?) ship construction? I know this might be an industry-question, but since there is no such thread... What will player control of ship production look like? Can we decide to build more (and perhaps ahistorical) DDs as Japan, at the expense of the Shinano perhaps?

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 36
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:03:44 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

1) Does shifting ships between HQs cost PPs?
2) How does the game determine which command 'area' a ship is operating in?
3) Are there any effexts for ships operating outside of their assigned fleets?
4) Will HMS Belfast make it into the game this time? This also applies to any other ships with a class in the db but no ships appearing...
5) Possibly an aircraft type question, but will maintainence carriers (i.e. HMS Unicorn) be featured?
6) Has the respawn been removed/changed? At least for the RAN?

1): Yes.
2): Same as with LCU's and aircraft these days, I believe.
3): That's being worked on.
4+5): I'm not actually sure if the Belfast will show up, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did, given the major work that's been done on the OOB. As for the Unicorn, that's up in the air at the moment.
6): Respawn is now a switch that can be set by the scenario designer. Yup, it can be turned off at the source. For the moment, the Grand Campaign is working with respawn on, I believe (but they don't tell me anything).

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 37
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:05:03 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Cool. So the LCI(G) will now have uses!

How about Sub combat (you know how much I love them) will they only fire a fish ort2 at some ships rather than a full 4/6 tubes worth?

Not sure, actually. I'll have to check...

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 38
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:07:54 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

What about Japanese (and allied?) ship construction? I know this might be an industry-question, but since there is no such thread... What will player control of ship production look like? Can we decide to build more (and perhaps ahistorical) DDs as Japan, at the expense of the Shinano perhaps?

Ship construction is basically unchanged for now, but there'll be plenty more to choose from, and the new Convert-To routine adds a whole new dimension to this stuff.

No more hard-coded routines for the Ise/Hyuga and Chitose/Chiyoda, for instance, and you can convert (as another example) US 4-stacker DD's to their specialty types at will. So, in that sense, you're getting a little bit of what you're asking about...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 12/7/2007 5:24:23 PM >

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 39
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:14:38 PM   
Dixie

7)  How about the British withdrawl?  Is it still in?  Any chance the PP penalty could be toned down a bit for destroyers if it's still in there?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 40
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:18:45 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

By the way, how about Japanese PT's ??

Do we get more than 5 during the entire war???

In addition to being the overall "helper" I am also working on the IJN classes and ships and yes there will be more than five IJN MTB, MGB and "torpedo launches" etc. but the bulk of them won't show up until 44-45. So we won't have "PTs in the Pacific - 1942".

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 41
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:18:51 PM   
Terminus

quote:

7) How about the British withdrawal? Is it still in? Any chance the PP penalty could be toned down a bit for destroyers if it's still in there?

No, that whole routine is gone. Instead, all Allied ships can have a withdrawal date set (and a date to return to the map).

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 42
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:19:26 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

By the way, how about Japanese PT's ??

Do we get more than 5 during the entire war???

In addition to being the overall "helper" I am also working on the IJN classes and ships and yes there will be more than five IJN MTB, MGB and "torpedo launches" etc. but the bulk of them won't show up until 44-45. So we won't have "PTs in the Pacific - 1942".

Good catch, Joe... I missed that one...

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 43
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:24:40 PM   
Grotius

1. How does offmap movement work?
2. Does the new map have "shipping lanes" as in the extended mod maps, or "boxes", or both?
3. What does the new shore bombardment screen (with the binoculars) do, exactly? Just a more engaging combat animation to watch while the turn executes?
4. Any change to carrier combat mechanics? I assume we still can't designate targets, which is OK with me. Is any element of "Carrier Force" going to find its way into WITP?
5. Is naval flak being tweaked, a la Nikmod?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 44
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:31:01 PM   
patrickl

Hi Terminus,
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: patrickl

Don't know whether this is appropriate in this thread but here goes : with regard to leaders, will we be able to see aggressive rating along with other attributes in a table form instead of the present situation of clicking thru the individuals?

That's still being worked on.

Thanks for your post.

Banner designed by rogueusmc

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 45
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:44:52 PM   
Skyros

If a withdrawl date is set for a ship what will prevent a player from using it on a suicide mission right before its withdrawl?
quote:

quote:

7) How about the British withdrawal? Is it still in? Any chance the PP penalty could be toned down a bit for destroyers if it's still in there?

No, that whole routine is gone. Instead, all Allied ships can have a withdrawal date set (and a date to return to the map).

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 46
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:48:03 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

Four repair types? Flood, system, fire and engine?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 47
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:48:35 PM   
kokubokan25

1-Any information about number of new ship class slots?
2-Seems like the ship side screen will be unchanged, that's correct?

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 48
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:49:17 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

Four repair types? Flood, system, fire and engine?

See the first post at the top of page 2.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 49
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:49:30 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I noticed in one of the screenshots that there was a link something like "Show all ships of the US Pacific Fleet". Will ships/TFs be assigned to commands (SWPAC, SOPAC, etc.) now like LCU/Bases/Etc.? Or was this more of a nationality thing (US Fleet, RN, IJN)?

Yep, all ships are assigned to HQ's now.

Very cool. Still using PPs to move stuff around? If so, can it be bypassed for the most part like it currently can be or will there be more restrictions?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 50
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:50:56 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Aha, thanks. Is it possible to use more than one at a time?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 51
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:52:10 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

1. How does offmap movement work?
2. Does the new map have "shipping lanes" as in the extended mod maps, or "boxes", or both?
3. What does the new shore bombardment screen (with the binoculars) do, exactly? Just a more engaging combat animation to watch while the turn executes?
4. Any change to carrier combat mechanics? I assume we still can't designate targets, which is OK with me. Is any element of "Carrier Force" going to find its way into WITP?
5. Is naval flak being tweaked, a la Nikmod?

1): That's another one of those things that's still in production.
2): Both, but see 1.
3): If you check your current WitP installation, you'll see this screen, but notice it's not being used. We thought it would be a good way to accompany the new shore bombardment, so we're using it.
4): No CF elements. There's some changes to air combat that applies to both land-based and sea-based aircraft, but that's really something for the air team to answer.
5): That's also part of the work-in-progress. We're doing the vector attack thing, where only guns that are pointing at where aircraft are coming from can fire at them, but other than that, it's still in flux.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 12/7/2007 5:54:22 PM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 52
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:52:35 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Aha, thanks. Is it possible to use more than one at a time?

No.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 53
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:53:38 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I noticed in one of the screenshots that there was a link something like "Show all ships of the US Pacific Fleet". Will ships/TFs be assigned to commands (SWPAC, SOPAC, etc.) now like LCU/Bases/Etc.? Or was this more of a nationality thing (US Fleet, RN, IJN)?

Yep, all ships are assigned to HQ's now.

Very cool. Still using PPs to move stuff around? If so, can it be bypassed for the most part like it currently can be or will there be more restrictions?

That's still being nailed down. You pays your PP's or you don't gets your bonuses... (Seriously, it's being worked on).

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 54
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:54:17 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

Interesting. What if the ship in question is sunk prior to it's withdrawal date?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 55
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 5:55:48 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting. What if the ship in question is sunk prior to it's withdrawal date?

That's the Big Thing(tm), isn't it? It's one of the things we're still discussing.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 56
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 6:04:25 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for your helpful replies, Terminus. You guys really have thought things through. I love the idea of the vectors for naval flak, by the way; I hope flak is thoroughly tested.

Speaking of which, this is probably more a question for Joe, but he's had to go back to his day job, so: do you need beta testers?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 57
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 6:07:36 PM   
treespider

Respawns?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 58
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 6:07:58 PM   
Terminus

quote:

Thanks for your helpful replies, Terminus. You guys really have thought things through. I love the idea of the vectors for naval flak, by the way; I hope flak is thoroughly tested.

Speaking of which, this is probably more a question for Joe, but he's had to go back to his day job, so: do you need beta testers?

Not at the moment.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 59
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/7/2007 6:08:57 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Respawns?

quote:

6): Respawn is now a switch that can be set by the scenario designer. Yup, it can be turned off at the source. For the moment, the Grand Campaign is working with respawn on, I believe (but they don't tell me anything).

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI