Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI DOWs too easily

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> AI DOWs too easily Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 2:31:58 PM   
fvianello

I'm playing as Russia against 6 easy AIs, and in march 1805 there's already a world war going on:

Jan1805, England DOWs Russia
Jan 1805, France DOWs Prussia
Feb 1805, Austria DOWs France
Mar 1805, Prussia DOWs England
Mar 1805, Austria DOWs Prussia (call from England)

Prussia is at war with France, England and Austria
Austria is at war with France and Prussia
England is at war with France, Prussia and Russia
France is at war with England, Prussia and Austria
Turkey and Spain are happily looking (but not for long i'm sure)

Now, all this bloodlust looks a bit too much to me....

Attachment (1)

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher
Post #: 1
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 2:50:51 PM   
alexvand

I've seen the real boardgame go this way. I think the AI can reflect the way the board game works in this regard. It's the prosecution of those wars by the AI that needs help.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 2
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 3:37:48 PM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

I've seen the real boardgame go this way. I think the AI can reflect the way the board game works in this regard. It's the prosecution of those wars by the AI that needs help.

Are you telling me that in the boardgame, playing a Prussia at war with France in Feb 1805, you would declare war to an England allied to Austria the following month?

Interesting strategy, I'll try it.

< Message edited by HanBarca -- 12/7/2007 3:43:58 PM >

H. Barca,

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 3
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 4:24:34 PM   
Marshall Ellis

HanBarca:

That is pretty surpising (even to me!) and looks odd. I would NOT be surpised by the Prussia-France DOW or the France-GBR-. Prussia vs England I have rarely seen??? That's the oddest one. I have set the AI in some circumstances to look at who is winning the game and if it appears they are running away with the game then there is a chance of a DOW to beat down someone who is running away with the game but that shouldn't start happening until around 1806-1807. Have you seen this more than once?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 4
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 6:17:55 PM   
fvianello

Ellis, I've seen it only once right at my first game... I can only think it was a sort of landslider effect generated by my actions as russia; here's a summary:

1. Russia and Prussia form an alliance
2. Russia influence denmark
3. England is maybe pissed off by 2 above and DOWs Russia (a bit strange, but could be)
4. Prussia, being a loyal ally, DOWs England even though not called to arms by Russia
5. Austria is called to arms by England and DOWs Prussia

No matter how it happened, I think that the only coeherent behavior for a Jan1805 Prussia in war with France is to seek allies and never DOW anything bigger than lichenstein ;)

H. Barca,

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 5
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 6:25:55 PM   
Marshall Ellis

HanBarca:

A logical explanation that puts Prussia in a bad spot! I agree with your thoughts on Prussia. She should NEVER find herself at war with France and GBR at the same time at almost ANY point in the game. I actually think it's that simple. With her manpower savings and GBR's cash she has chance. Note taken...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 6
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 6:39:59 PM   
Hoche

I have noticed this unusual AI aggression too. As France I pounced on an poorly deployed Prussian army. I wiped out all Prussian corps and sat on Berlin by the second month of the war. Then Austria delcared war on Prussia. Prussia wisely surrendered unconditionally to me but stayed at war with Austria. Now that Austria is at war with Prussia, Russia and Turkey which is going to make my upcoming invasion of Austria VERY easy.

All AI nations are set on the hardest AI setting.

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

Post #: 7
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 9:35:16 PM   
tgb

Here's one I saw in my current learning game. Keep in mind I never played the board game, so perhaps there is a logic here I am just not seeing.

Playing as Spain, GB, already at war with France, DOW's me in Jan. '05. In Feb '05 they accepted an informal peace.

I don't know if the A.I. was just acting screwy, trying to cut off my trade income (which would be pretty clever, actually), or accepted the peace because I was in a position to besiege Gibralter on the next turn.

(in reply to Hoche)
Post #: 8
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 10:18:11 PM   
Thresh

Marshall,

I've had this happen once before as well. I have a word file I am working on with issues I have seen crop up, I will compile that with some photos this weekend.

Todd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

HanBarca:

A logical explanation that puts Prussia in a bad spot! I agree with your thoughts on Prussia. She should NEVER find herself at war with France and GBR at the same time at almost ANY point in the game. I actually think it's that simple. With her manpower savings and GBR's cash she has chance. Note taken...

Post #: 9
RE: AI DOWs too easily - 12/7/2007 11:42:59 PM   
mpa541

here is my strange one.

First game I played Brits did not blockade the french ports so I managed to get my Navay to sea and systematically crushed the brits at sea!

However every game since the Brits have blockaded me.

Not sure what it means...maybe just a curious coinsidence...but the strange Prussian activity only happened in the FIRST game played as well.

Thanks for the game, love'n it!

Mike

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> AI DOWs too easily Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI