Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 5:14:56 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Hey Terminus, thanks again for your replies. I think you might have missed a few of my questions -- or maybe I missed the responses -- or maybe I should stop asking so many questions! At some point I know we should let you guys get back to work! But in case you missed it:

quote:

1. Is there any change to cold-weather limits on operations? I ask because I often felt it was too easy to operate in the Alaska area, notwithstanding the penalties in stock.

2. Has Patrol/Do Not Retire changed at all?

3. Has CV "one-hex" reaction changed at all?

4. Still have diminishing returns on AA for TFs of more than 15 ships?

5. Can you tell us more about the directional flak? I assume it's primarily a function of ship/plane heading; is ship/plane speed also a factor?

6. I too wanted to ask about tracking tonnage sunk by subs, or for that matter total distance traveled, fuel consumed, ammo used, etc. but it sounds like AE won't do that. Not a big deal; just would be nice -- those sort of stats that would enrich an AAR like Cuttlefish's. Is it fair to say that modders will have a way to track that sort of data?

1): Changes to the weather model fell by the way side, I'm afraid. I'd have loved to see changes to Alaskan weather myself, but it's not happening for the release version. We'd have been best off ripping down the whole weather model and starting over, but there's just no resource for it.

2+3): Not sure what you mean?

4+5): I'll have to get back to you on this one, not having had much to do with the new flak stuff.

6): No more than today, I'm afraid.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 301
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 5:47:11 PM   
Captain Cruft

CV one-hex reaction is where Air Combat TFs will always move one hex towards an enemy Air Combat TF regardless of the React/Don't React setting.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 302
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 5:50:48 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for those replies. Understandable about weather and tracking tonnage; they wouldn't have been my top priorities either. Imagine tracking tonnage might be moddable, anyway. Weather can be handled with house rules.

On "one-hex reaction," I just mean the situation in which an Air Combat TF automatically reacts one hex toward an enemy Air Combat TF, even if the AC TF's "Reaction" range is set to zero. Er, maybe they no longer do that? I haven't seen it in the AI game I'm playing now, but then I haven't had a CV battle yet. But I did find some 2007 posts discussing it.

Sorry I wasn't clear about my other question. I was wondering whether there was any change to the basic mechanic that asks you to choose between "Patrol/Do Not Retire" and "Retirement Allowed." I don't have any problem with how it works -- just wondering if the patrol zones and waypoints have had any ripple effects on this mechanic. (For example, many of us use the "Retirement Allowed" setting as a substitute for a waypoint for a Transport TF: form up a Transport TF in Brisbane, give it destination of Pago Pago, give it home base of San Francisco, set it to "Retirement Allowed.")

< Message edited by Grotius -- 12/9/2007 5:51:13 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 303
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 5:55:09 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

On "one-hex reaction," I just mean the situation in which an Air Combat TF automatically reacts one hex toward an enemy Air Combat TF, even if the AC TF's "Reaction" range is set to zero. Er, maybe they no longer do that? I haven't seen it in the AI game I'm playing now, but then I haven't had a CV battle yet. But I did find some 2007 posts discussing it.

For the moment, that's still in, as a factor of commander aggressiveness.

quote:

Sorry I wasn't clear about my other question. I was wondering whether there was any change to the basic mechanic that asks you to choose between "Patrol/Do Not Retire" and "Retirement Allowed." I don't have any problem with how it works -- just wondering if the patrol zones and waypoints have had any ripple effects on this mechanic. (For example, many of us use the "Retirement Allowed" setting as a substitute for a waypoint for a Transport TF: form up a Transport TF in Brisbane, give it destination of Pago Pago, give it home base of San Francisco, set it to "Retirement Allowed.")

The mechanism is still in, alongside the new stuff with waypoints and such. The patrol zone routine also has an option to linger at each point in the patrol zone for x number of days.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 304
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 7:13:25 PM   
DerJimbo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerJimbo

Will you be able to organize your combat vessels in subunits such as "1st Cruiser Sqn" or "3rd Destroyer Flotilla"?

Yes, and No.

You can set lower level commands, although more likely something like Naval Districts within regional fleets, etc. This is just a display convenience however, there is no function for attach a complete DD squadron to a TF or any such thing. It is handy for "where's my ships"?

P.S. I looked into doing it already, don't bother to ask for it...

OK, thanks for your response. I'll be buying AE in any case, and I like everything that's been said about what will be changed/included. When I consider how many hours I've spent wrapped up in this game already, I can't imagine that I won't get hundreds of hours of additional enjoyment (if that's the right word!) out of this expansion/upgrade.

I'm certainly grateful for all the paid and unpaid time that so many individuals have put into this project and in other aspects of the game already. In 30+ years of wargaming, I don't think that I've ever seen another title that engaged the interest and passion of so many people in so many ways.

So...please take your time with AE and get it right!!

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 305
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 7:21:01 PM   
Brausepaul

Will there be something to simulate permanent (not repairable) damage to ship units? I was thinking of subs getting battle weary after a few depth charge attacks, for example. 

(in reply to DerJimbo)
Post #: 306
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 7:40:29 PM   
pad152

MTB's PT's, barges, and Respawns

I hope Japan get's more than 5 PT/MTB in AD, Japan should always be able to build MTB's, Barges, Midgets as long as it has production. These are the types of ships that should respawn, or removed for the database and treated like the pilot pool where there is a pool of these ships and if it drops below a value more get produced.

Movement
I think these should be handled like mines where you can load a group of them up on a transport/tender ship and drop them off where you need them.

Now that mining is being reduced MTB's become even more important for forward based defense.

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 307
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 7:44:27 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

And I thought MRE stood for Meals Rushing to Exit.

You apparently haven't eaten them.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 308
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 7:49:27 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

Will there be something to simulate permanent (not repairable) damage to ship units? I was thinking of subs getting battle weary after a few depth charge attacks, for example. 

No, you would have to scuttle it yourself.

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 309
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 7:57:04 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

MTB's PT's, barges, and Respawns

I hope Japan get's more than 5 PT/MTB in AD, Japan should always be able to build MTB's, Barges, Midgets as long as it has production. These are the types of ships that should respawn, or removed for the database and treated like the pilot pool where there is a pool of these ships and if it drops below a value more get produced.

Movement
I think these should be handled like mines where you can load a group of them up on a transport/tender ship and drop them off where you need them.

Now that mining is being reduced MTB's become even more important for forward based defense.

MTBs (PTs) do not and never did respawn. The availability of PTs, and now direct MGBs, is historical for both sides. Barges auto-replace (slightly different than respawn).

Midget subs will respawn if the respawn switch is on - always to Type D Koryu. With no respawn, you get what is in the OOB.

We looked at allowing small craft to be carried on larger ships, but it did not make the cut. Cool feature, big programming problem. Movement of such craft is still simulated by supply.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 310
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:05:51 PM   
Dixie

I noticed (like several other people ) that midget subs are in AE, but how about the Royal Navy's XE class midget subs?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 311
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:06:33 PM   
Shark7

A few questions:

1. Will the Japanese Protected Cruisers (IE Iwate, Asama, Izumo, etc) that were stationed in the Inland sea as training ships be in the game? I realize these were of little naval value, but they could have been pressed into service if the need arose.
2. Asama was damaged and the Japanese opted not to repair her, however, her sister ship Tokiwa was converted into a Minelayer before the war. Would the player be given this option with Asama if it is present?
3. Will units that were interned be present in the game in their early Manchuko service? IE Ning Hai and Ping Hai (later as Ioshima and Yasoshima in IJN service.)

If these have been addressed earlier and I simply did not see it, my apologies.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 312
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:10:29 PM   
Splinterhead

Dixie,

Stupid question time, but were XEs used in the Pacific?
What's a REAL liney?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 313
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:19:42 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Splinterhead

Dixie,

Stupid question time, but were XEs used in the Pacific?
What's a REAL liney?

They were present and were used for a few small scale operations, but there was always the possibility that other stuff could have been done with them.

XE1 & XE3 were used to cripple Takao in Singapore, there were plans to mine Myoko as well but they couldn't find her (Operation Struggle)
XE4 was used to cut telephone cables from Saigon (Operation Sabre)
XE5 was used to cut cables near Hong Kong (Operation Foil)

I realise that the last two are outside of the scope of WitP, but I'd like the chance to carry out sneaky raids on Jap shipping in port

A liney is an RAF term, it's a term mostly used when someone is debating doing something which probably goes against better judgement (sliding down a hanger roof in a drip tray for example )

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 314
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:23:34 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

I noticed (like several other people ) that midget subs are in AE, but how about the Royal Navy's XE class midget subs?

No, not at this time.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 315
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:39:41 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

A few questions:

1. Will the Japanese Protected Cruisers (IE Iwate, Asama, Izumo, etc) that were stationed in the Inland sea as training ships be in the game? I realize these were of little naval value, but they could have been pressed into service if the need arose.
2. Asama was damaged and the Japanese opted not to repair her, however, her sister ship Tokiwa was converted into a Minelayer before the war. Would the player be given this option with Asama if it is present?
3. Will units that were interned be present in the game in their early Manchuko service? IE Ning Hai and Ping Hai (later as Ioshima and Yasoshima in IJN service.)

If these have been addressed earlier and I simply did not see it, my apologies.

OOB is still not completely finished, so no comment for now.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 316
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:41:23 PM   
JWE

quote:

A few questions:

That’s mostly an OOB, or scenario design question but, as you mention, several of the Japanese War-I relics were converted to an operational use: minelayers, coastal defense gunships, and the like. Our OOBeings are very aware of these vessels, and are scourging the artists daily to make them up.

The whole idea of the ‘convert-to’ routines is to allow just these sorts of things to happen. The general answer to your question(s) is yes, but their specific form, configuration and mission will be at the (limited) option of IJNGHQ.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 317
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 8:53:48 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

A few questions:

That’s mostly an OOB, or scenario design question but, as you mention, several of the Japanese War-I relics were converted to an operational use: minelayers, coastal defense gunships, and the like. Our OOBeings are very aware of these vessels, and are scourging the artists daily to make them up.

The whole idea of the ‘convert-to’ routines is to allow just these sorts of things to happen. The general answer to your question(s) is yes, but their specific form, configuration and mission will be at the (limited) option of IJNGHQ.

That answered my question well enough. I just like the idea of sending the relics out on one more mission.

Now I just have to be patient.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 318
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 9:06:18 PM   
pad152

Request for New ship Type Sub-AV, a sub with AV support for float planes

A few times in 1942 Japan used subs to refuel the larger Float Planes (Mavis/Emilys) at the French Frigate shoals to bomb Pearl Harbor at night! You really can't do this with an AV ship it would be spotted before pulling off the attack.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 319
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 9:19:29 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Request for New ship Type Sub-AV, a sub with AV support for float planes

A few times in 1942 Japan used subs to refuel the larger Float Planes (Mavis/Emilys) at the French Frigate shoals to bomb Pearl Harbor at night! You really can't do this with an AV ship it would be spotted before pulling off the attack.

No, not at this time.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 320
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 9:19:36 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Eh, what do you mean, Ron?

Heyho! Ever play Wooden Ships and Iron Men, an Avalon Hill Napoleonic Era naval game? Crew factors are modelled and can suffer attrition due to combat for example. We have squads and squad pools for land units and pilots and pilot pools for air units, but WITP does not account for ships crews outside of a generic ship experience level. If we were to have crew factors, we would be able to assign VP to the crew factors (squads) which would add immensely to a ship's VP total, would allow for fatigue morale issues (such as they may be), and would allow for a more realistic approach to crew experience. Perhaps the player might be allowed to manage these crew factors from a naval crew factor pool so experienced/elite crew factors could be bled into new construction ships as was the case historically. See what I'm getting at?

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 12/9/2007 9:21:04 PM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 321
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 9:49:16 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

Heyho! Ever play Wooden Ships and Iron Men, an Avalon Hill Napoleonic Era naval game? Crew factors are modelled and can suffer attrition due to combat for example. We have squads and squad pools for land units and pilots and pilot pools for air units, but WITP does not account for ships crews outside of a generic ship experience level. If we were to have crew factors, we would be able to assign VP to the crew factors (squads) which would add immensely to a ship's VP total, would allow for fatigue morale issues (such as they may be), and would allow for a more realistic approach to crew experience. Perhaps the player might be allowed to manage these crew factors from a naval crew factor pool so experienced/elite crew factors could be bled into new construction ships as was the case historically. See what I'm getting at?

Yeah, I got you now; you're basically looking for every ship to have a crew, like an air unit has pilots and a brigade has squads. It's a good idea, but it's not feasible for this product. It would be a BIG THING to code and a BIG THING in the database. Sorry, Ron; that's for the product after AE.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 322
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 10:25:40 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I got you now; you're basically looking for every ship to have a crew, like an air unit has pilots and a brigade has squads. It's a good idea, but it's not feasible for this product. It would be a BIG THING to code and a BIG THING in the database. Sorry, Ron; that's for the product after AE.

Thanks Terminus, for both the answer and the confirmation of WITP2!!!!

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 323
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/9/2007 10:30:41 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks Terminus, for both the answer and the confirmation of WITP2!!!!

Damn, forgot to put in the disclaimer... Oh dear, what shall we do now?

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 324
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/10/2007 12:08:52 AM   
wworld7

quote:

Dare I say, we resurrect the ROASTING "BBQ Terminus over an open pit" idea?

Let's see...we need beer, soda, chips, spices, and one (1) Terminus Deputy Dog

And about 24 hours and much more beer.

Flipper

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 325
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/10/2007 12:10:02 AM   
witpqs

There is a refueling bug or 'short-coming' in the current released code that you might want to look for in testing AE. It works like this.

Suppose you want to put together a fast TF to move some planes or LCU's a long distance. So, you pick a fast AK or AP, and pair it with a DD that has a long range. You load them up and send them on their way.

What then happens is that the DD refuels from the AK/AP each and every day. In other words, the DD 'tops up its tanks' daily, which has the effect of greatly reducing the TF's speed because refueling uses up so many ops points (as it should). This happens every day until the remaining range of the AK/AP has been greatly reduced. Setting the TF to 'Do Not Refuel' does not have any effect.

The AK/AP starts out having a much greater range than the DD. It seems like the refueling algorithm compares the range remaining in each ship and tries to equal them out if they are vastly different. BTW, I gave an example with two ships but the problem happens for any size group. I think the key is the great difference in range for the AK/AP and the DD.

Suggest that the escorts should not try to 'top up' unless they are below 75% to 80% of their own fuel capacity.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 326
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/10/2007 12:12:19 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

There is a refueling bug or 'short-coming' in the current released code that you might want to look for in testing AE. It works like this.

Suppose you want to put together a fast TF to move some planes or LCU's a long distance. So, you pick a fast AK or AP, and pair it with a DD that has a long range. You load them up and send them on their way.

What then happens is that the DD refuels from the AK/AP each and every day. In other words, the DD 'tops up its tanks' daily, which has the effect of greatly reducing the TF's speed because refueling uses up so many ops points (as it should). This happens every day until the remaining range of the AK/AP has been greatly reduced. Setting the TF to 'Do Not Refuel' does not have any effect.

The AK/AP starts out having a much greater range than the DD. It seems like the refueling algorithm compares the range remaining in each ship and tries to equal them out if they are vastly different. BTW, I gave an example with two ships but the problem happens for any size group. I think the key is the great difference in range for the AK/AP and the DD.

Suggest that the escorts should not try to 'top up' unless they are below 75% to 80% of their own fuel capacity.

We're doing a fair bit of new stuff when it comes to refueling. Not 100% sure that this one is in, but still...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 327
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/10/2007 1:49:02 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

Dare I say, we resurrect the ROASTING "BBQ Terminus over an open pit" idea?

Let's see...we need beer, soda, chips, spices, and one (1) Terminus Deputy Dog

And about 24 hours and much more beer.

Mmmmmm..... long pig... Danish ham to boot!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 328
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/10/2007 1:59:20 AM   
wworld7

Flipper

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 329
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/10/2007 1:59:22 AM   
Terminus

to the pair of you...

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI